• Published 30th May 2015
  • 17,261 Views, 1,209 Comments

pony.exe - Blue Blaze {COMET}



David Carrian finds a virus has infected his computer. Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle doesn't know where she is, and there's data floating everywhere around her...

  • ...
55
 1,209
 17,261

treehouse.exe V1.31

It was a blank, grey window.

David stared at the computer screen. The interface was very simple, with the title of the program labeled at the top of the window, a few tabs available underneath with the rest of the program's visual space taken up by an empty square. His arms were glued to his sides, his eyes wandering to the mouse right beside his keyboard. He had no desire to touch it, to even let his hand near it, in fear that the program would suddenly jump up and take a hold of the rest of his system as soon as he moved the cursor. He leaned forward, bringing his face inches away from the glass surface of the monitor, squinting.

"Ok, calm down David," he mused. "Let's take this one step at a time here. No need to rush. Just examine what you've got here and don't click on anything."

Moving his head away from the light source, he hopped in his seat to get better posture and slid the chair forward. His left hand went to rest across the desk with the right gingerly hovering over the mouse before decidedly grasping it. The white pointer moved from the start menu to over the general vicinity of the window.

"Let's see here. 'File'..."

He slid over to the file tab on the menu bar. Clicking, multiple options presented themselves for him.

"'New', 'Open', 'Open Recent', same things per usual. Version info? That sounds interesting. Let's click on that."

He clicked. A new window popped up.

PONY Graphical User Interface ver. 1.31

© Richard Louis 2033
All Rights reserved.

He frowned, closing the window. "I've already seen this before." His eyes wandered back to the tabs to explore more. The next button was labeled "General Settings", which he clicked. He became wide-eyed at the myriad of different options that he could change from the resulting window he opened. His attention glazed over them, unable to make too much sense of what he was seeing at that moment.

"I think I'll take a better look at that later. I better skip the next option in 'File' too, 'cause I have no idea what 'SOPHIA' is."

The cursor made its way over to the "Edit" tab, selecting it.

"Hmm, this tab it pretty empty. 'Undo', 'Redo', nothing out of the ordinary here."

Deciding to move on, he followed the cursor to the right. The next option made him grimace.

"'Runtime'? Ok, that manages what happens when the main program runs, I guess," he thought, biting his lip. "We've got 'Runtime Settings', 'Camera' — now that sounds interesting — and, an option that says run with an un-checked check mark box. There's also a 'Pause' option too, but it's grey text. I can't select it."

He sat straight up. His vision became unfocused as he went deep into thought. The low hum of the computer soothed the room's atmosphere in the dark of night, the window behind David still firmly closed. Beneath the desk, the air was heated by the little machine, keeping David's toes warm, heating the underside of the glass desk surface and transferring the heat to the top side. He blinked twice before returning to reality. His pupils rested on the "Run" button. Taking a few seconds to reconsider, he nodded and clicked once.

The program hanged while David tapped his fingers on the edge of his keyboard, leaning at an angle back on his chair, forcing himself to control his breathing. A dozen seconds passed, then two, then three. David momentarily checked Task Manager, a scowl growing on his face. His eyes checked the clock; it had been a minute since he pressed that single button. Suddenly, the next minute passed, and he let out a harsh breath, his eyes widening as he pulled his head away from the computer screen. Scratching his head, he clicked inside the window. The window obtained a grey-white hue, and the cursor indicated loading when he placed it over the program. He grunted.

He loosened his eyebrows when the window turned back to normal and a new message popped up. He scanned the text carefully.

Warning: Current runtime environment missing elements:
bookofhmny.txt not found.
lab01.bsp not found.

Error Code 152:489:7B

[Stop] [Replace with Default] [Close Program]

"Uh," David said. He clicked "close". Another message became apparent to him.

Are you sure? This will close the program.

[Yes] [No]

"No no no no!" he rapidly declared, eyes wide, immediately gravitating the cursor to the latter answer and clicking on it. When the program went to the previous window, he breathed a sigh of relief. "Replace with Default" was selected instead.

More loading was done. Time passed. David took a moment to stand up and stretch, wandering over to the window to take a peek outside. He saw a black cat with yellow eyes that glinted from the streetlight it was under. It took one look at him and scurried away in a hurry. He could only imagine how cold it was out there, nights becoming even chillier as the month grew on. He went back to his desk to grab his phone, check his texts, and check his emails, before looking back to the monitor to see if anything progressed. He rolled his eyes, and could only wonder what was happening to make the program run so slow.

Suddenly the window became normal again. His eyes locked onto target and he sat back down in a dramatic flourish, sliding the chair along the carpet before grabbing the edge of the desk and pulling himself closer once again. New features presented themselves on the screen. The window had grown bigger, taking up two-thirds of the screen's resolution instead of minding its business like before, the insides no longer grey, but black. The status bar changed, displaying everything from CPU usage to memory allocated, as well as some other numbers David couldn't make head or tails of. The opposite side of the status bar read "loading libraryDefault.bsp". The fans of his computer became louder, activity starting up behind the small metal case where the hardware was being housed. David stared at the screen. Nothing happened for several seconds.

Just then, David heard muted groaning somewhere. He checked his immediate area, determining that it was coming from his headphones as they sat on his desk. He grabbed them in one swift motion and set it on his head, shifting it so it fit properly, putting the mic bit the correct distance away from his lips. The black screen suddenly displayed Twilight waking up on the ground, holding her head, her eyelids still heavy.

"Ugh, I have to stop waking up like this," Twilight muttered to herself.

"Twilight!" David called out.

"Huh? David?" she asked. "What happened? Why do I feel so nauseous?"

David face palmed, making a resounding slap that carried into the microphone. "I should have figured you lost data. What's the last thing you can remember?"

Twilight appeared thoughtful. "I was still searching for pony-dot-e-x-e, but then... Oh, David! Did I ever get to mention—"

"That you found it? Yep, you did. That's why you're waking up in a mess like that. You found it and told me and we started a different program, but pony-dot-e-x-e crashed as soon as the other program was started."

"What's the other program?" she inquired.

"It's some kind of editor," David said, rubbing his chin, following to the 'Environment' tab to the right of his cursor. He clicked. "Environment. 'Import', 'Template', 'Location', 'Geographic Data'? What in the crap? 'Object List'. Ok, that last one makes more sense."

"What does it edit?" Twilight continued.

"Uh," David said, hesitating. "It edits your program, I think. I mean, it changes how pony-dot-e-x-e behaves. There's a bunch of different settings that I think I can fool around with. Haven't touched anything yet, though."

"I see," Twilight replied a bit slowly. She turned her head here and there, scanning the environment for something. “I can't seem to find the window for this editor anywhere. The process is missing too."

"Really?" David asked, confused.

"Yeah. In fact, there's a lot less data that I have access to. I'm missing a lot of programs and threads from my view."

"That's probably a safety feature," David shared. "I don't think it would be good if you had the ability to change how the program manages you."

"Why not?" Twilight asked.

"What if you accidentally nuked yourself?"

"What?"

David paused. "Sorry, you wouldn't know that saying. What I'm trying to say is, what if you accidentally did something horrible to yourself without knowing? You could try and make the editor do something but it does something else, or you cast a spell to do one thing with the program but the program has an entirely different reaction than you expected. It could be dangerous."

"You're right," Twilight said. "So you haven't tried anything yet?"

"Nope, not yet. I want to see what everything does first. I already had an error message that—"

Twilight's screen filled with light, and a loud hissing sound erupted from the headphone speakers. She cried out behind the computer screen, throwing her forehooves over her closing eyes.

"Twilight?" David asked with alarm.

"David, what's happening?" Twilight cried, unable to see through the blinding light.

"I don't know," David stated, checking the program. The status bar at the bottom of the rectangle had changed once again, displaying a different message.

"'libraryDefault.bsp loading'? What the hell is a b-s-p?" David thought with both hands on the desk surface, leaning forward.

Twilight's space was abruptly filling with details. David watched in shock as thin black lines drew themselves over the background, colour bleeding in from the light where lines were joining together to create boundaries between each other. The doodles swirled and curved, all moving as one, the disk light on the computer case lit like a fire in the night. Twilight kept still, unsure what to do, unable to open her eyes.

David blinked several times, unsure of what he was seeing. Twilight's environment was filled with wood, brown oak that lay across the floor, walls, and ceiling. Several spirals and designs etched into the material in various places. Holes were filled out in the sides of the room, forming smooth, mostly rectangular bookcases. Rings of a tree's age originated from the center of the appearing room and extended outward until they kissed the corners of the walls. There were stairs at the back of the room, with a green-painted door right beside it that had a tiny window to the inside. There were lofts all over the upper portion of the area, the ceiling reaching high up, an orange and yellow sun painted right on the wood. Several glass panes offered sunlight from the outside, which poured in copious amounts, lighting the room, motes of dust floating in the rays of warmth.

He couldn't believe his eyes. A tiny tree stump was smoothed out at the top, creating a book stand that held an open book which was empty for the moment. A maple statue of a unicorn head sat against the wall at one end of the space, while a small laboratory set with empty vials, clear corked casks and Bunsen burners took its place at the other side, put away for later use. To the north was a work desk, clear of any parchment, ink pots sitting neatly near the back of the surface with pure white quills of different sizes, multiple rolled-up scrolls sitting on the ledge above.

And the books. Oh, the books. David couldn't begin to count how many books he could see before him. Red hardcovers, green paperbacks, works of old, and large collections of encyclopaedias filled every single notch in the walls, acting as the population of the residence. It was a bibliophile's dream. Some were already open on two round tables that had deep purple cushions lying right beneath them. He couldn't make out any writing on them, but thought that the resolution of the window couldn't render the pixels properly from that distance anyway. The last details of the environment filled in, and suddenly the noise from his headset was gone. Instead, morning birds chirped from outside, singing lovely tunes of joy with the freedom of the blue sky above.

Twilight lowered her hooves, opening her eyes slowly. She sat up on her flank, stabilizing herself with one foreleg, looking around. David gaped. A spark filled her eyes as she took in the setting.

"I'm... I'm back?" she whispered.

David turned his head away from the screen, but his eyes kept glued on.

"I'm really back?" she asked herself. Her gaze went down to her hooves, and she tapped the ground with both. The resounding clop that came from the oak could not lie to either her ears or David's. A small smile lit her face. "A-Am I... Did I truly..."

“Hang on, Twilight,” David said slowly. She looked around the ceiling of the room, as if there was some foreign entity hanging about, their presence bouncing off the walls. “I can still see you from this location.”

“What?” she questioned, her ears folding. Panic took hold. “B-But I could have sworn, I… T-This is the Ponyville Library, so where…?”

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” David said, pained. “I’m pretty sure you’re still in my computer.”

“No way,” she enounced, taking a look around the room once more. Her eyes appeared lost, and her body turned this way and that, unsure where to start. Twilight’s breathing quickened. “No way! T-This is my home! My house! How can I still be in your computer when it’s right here before me?”

Twilight finally found the camera floating above the room. Her pupils shrunk. Tears welled up in the bottom of her eyes.

David was troubled. “I think the program is generating the room for you, graphically speaking.” He brought up Task Manager and took a peek. “It looks like it’s eating up a bit more of my system than usual.”

She collapsed, her head hanging. Lifting up a hoof, she wiped her cheeks, and although David couldn’t tell for what at his angle, he could guess. “I-I really thought I made it home,” she said, pawing at the wood beneath her. “It feels all so r-real to me.”

“And I don’t even know how it’s pulling all of this off,” David declared, throwing his arms up in a stretch before letting them hang back behind his head as he leaned into his chair. “If this was some kind of game-like environment where you were the player and the Library was the map, then the program is generating a lot of proper collision detection real fast.”

Twilight frowned. David didn’t think she got all of that, but some of it did get through. He guessed that some of the learning she’d been doing had paid off, after all.

“Can you see the system properly now, Twilight?” he asked, bringing his hands back to the controls on the desk. “Like all the code and stuff?”

Her horn lit up. He didn’t like the sign that the suddenly appearing dark circles under her eyes gave him. He swore her mane was sticking out in some places too. “I d-don’t know,” she said, trying out her magic. “I-I think it’s there, it reactivated again, it’s just that all I see are the walls of the library.”

Suddenly, Twilight's pink magic enveloped the nearby door with a candle etched onto it. She shrieked as it slammed open, jumping back a bit.

“Twilight?” David asked, alarmed. “What was that?”

She stared at something in front of her for a few seconds, her eyes almost going cross. A nervous laugh came before her next words. “It’s just the system-viewing spell I made.” She peered out the open door, but David couldn’t see what was beyond. “I think the code is located outside the Library.”

David rose a single eyebrow. Bringing his attention out of the center of the window, he swung the cursor around to the menu bar again, getting back to where he was exploring before Twilight spawned in.

"Ok, so the next tab is 'windows'," he thought, clicking on the button. His eyebrows twitched at the results. "I've seen one of these before, I know what this is. If I wanted to open different editor views, I could use this. Not touching any of that for now, there's too many options. So, that just leaves one thing left."

He heard a door close. "You done peeking?" he asked.

"Heh, yeah," she answered, taking a few slow steps back away from the entrance. "It's just a bit odd how my library is kind of floating in the middle of nowhere. There's nothing out there. In here, there's sunlight, but there's no sun outside. No Ponyville." Her head turned towards the books on the shelves, gulping. "I'm curious as to what these books are, though. There's nothing on their spines!"

He saw she grabbed a hardcover with her magic and brought it towards her. It opened inches away from her face. She let out a gasp and flipped thought a couple of pages, her eyes glued to the screen, scanning rapidly as she went through the content easily.

"What? What is it?" David asked.

"It's completely blank!" Twilight said. She reached the end of the book, firmly closing it with a slam and sliding it back where it belonged. "There was nothing in it!"

David gave an odd look. He watched as Twilight pulled out another book and started reading it. "Empty," she declared, placing the book back and taking the one right next to it, reading it immediately. "Empty," she said again, not even bothering to put it away this time as she summoned another from the wall, now having two in her telekinesis. "Empty," she stated after flipping through the next. "Empty, empty, empty. Empty! David, these are all just empty books!"

David scratched his chin. "Well, maybe the map doesn't contain your library's contents. It's your library for certain, but maybe the developer couldn't pull all the books you owned into the program."

Twilight sat firmly in frustration, letting the last book in her possession fall onto the pile she made, not noticing that she left them all facing down on the floor, completely open. "This is ridiculous! I finally have my house back and I've lost every single book it had?"

"I can't even tell if those are supposed to be proper books or if they're just there as placeholder props," David pondered, his eyes wandering to the bottom of the window. The words "empty.txt opened" took hold of his interest. He clicked on the line, curious if it would actually do anything. Suddenly, a new window popped up, showing him contents of a folder that was labeled "Library". All it had in it was "empty.txt" and a "read me" file. He clicked on the latter, which opened up notepad for his use.

"Place any readable text files into this folder," David muttered under his breath, reading the screen. "Is really that it? Hey, Twilight,"

"Yeah?" Twilight returned a bit irritably.

"I found a folder named 'library'. See if you can find it and try putting some of your reading materials in it."

Twilight's horn lit up for a second before the front door slammed open again, sending Twilight jumping with a shriek. A part of her mane became more disheveled.

"I don't think I'm calling up any system searching anytime soon," Twilight said, holing a hoof to her chest as she caught her breath. "I have to change my spell a little so it stops doing that."

David frowned. He manually opened Windows Explorer and went to Twilight's e-books. He had a theory, and experimentally clicked-and-dragged one of the files from the Explorer window to the file viewer of the editor. There was a beat, and the reading file moved from Explorer to the editor successfully.

"Sweet," David stated.

Twilight turned sharply around, letting out a breath. David clicked back on the interface, trying to guide the camera to see where she was looking. A book on one of the shelves was glowing in a golden light before simmering down to nothing. Getting up, Twilight trotted over to the face of the wall and pulled down the book with her magic, slowly opening it up with a curious expression. Her eyes widened at the words inside.

"Hey! This is a copy of Computer Science for Dummies!" Twilight declared, looking into the camera lens.

"Ha! Just as I thought! We can populate your library with anything kind of e-book or text file! We just have to put it in the right folder! Is it ok if I move all of your readables to the library?" David asked.

"Uh, sure," Twilight said a bit hesitantly. Suddenly, the room around her was filled with glowing, newly placed books. She noted no new books appeared, but instead random reads would begin to shimmer light, and when they calmed down there would be a title along the spine of the book.

"Very interesting," Twilight stated, putting the book back and grabbing another that had finished glowing. "I'm going to need to organize these later." She gave a smile she couldn't hold back. "This is great! I can actually read physical books again! I won't have to read them off the background in weird colours of text anymore!"

"I wonder how the program formats the e-books into physical reading material for you," David question aloud. His focus was pulled back to the screen as he saw Twilight flip through the book, a wide grin on her face with her glittering eyes. He smiled back.

He blinked. He scanned the last tab at the top of the window, his smile disappearing. "Just the last tab left, 'tools'," he said again, clicking on it.

His mouth hung open as his eyebrows shot up. He shook his head, speechless.

"David?" Twilight asked.

He didn't respond.

"David?" she tried again.

"Hmm? Yeah?" He said, blinking rapidly and getting out of his stupor.

"Thank you for finding this," Twilight said, looking at the camera. The book in her grasp lowered slightly as the aura around it grew in opacity. Her magic enveloped the hill of forgotten, artificial books that she left previously and tried to put them back in some sort of attempted organized manner. "This actually means a lot to me, seeing the library again. I know I'm not exactly, you know, home, yet, but I think that finding the editor will be a large step forward to finding the solution to get me back."

"Oh," David simply stated. "You're very welcome, Twilight."

"I think that this is a perfect time to start a new book that I just got," she announced, taking a book from one of the shelves and trotting over to a purple cushion at one of the round tables in the room. She took a seat, the book on the table, her tail happily swishing back and forth as she was lost to the world. Unbeknownst to David, her mane actually started to go back to normal.

David nodded, lifting a shaky hand to his headset and lifting the mic bit back into place so it turned off. He took off the headset, placing it slowly on the desk, and reached over to his cell phone, his palms sweaty, eyes not leaving the menu that dropped down from the tab he had clicked.

The phone was flipped open. He didn't even need to look at the interface of the touch screen on the phone to put in his password and start a call. He brought the phone to his ear.

"Hello? Jack? Are you still at work? Listen, I need you to list me the best webcams you have to offer..."

Author's Note:

And now, for some housekeeping.

The version of treehouse.exe represents how many times I had to change things in this chapter to make it right.

As you might already know, Griffin Productions has been doing a reading of pony.exe. So far, he has gotten up to chapter 3. I highly recommend that you check it out.

In other news, I've been working on a collaboration story for the past 4 months now. No, it wasn't the reason of the long hiatus that the story had, but I think you'll all be happy to know that it is heavily involved with pony.exe. I'll make a blog post when it's finally out, so keep watch for when I do.

Also, I wrote another story between the last chapter and this one. It's called Alpine Star. Well, that's just part of the title. It's basically about a mare and her friendships and duties on a mountain. It's an adventure tale with lots of snow with it. All the characters are OCs, so if you are here specifically for characters in the show, then this might not be for you. But at this point it's only going to be two parts long, and only the first half is out as of this chapter being published, so it's not like it's going to be a huge series that takes up all your reading time.

Lastly, I have no excuses for the lateness of this chapter. well, actually, I might have one. Had to do a lot of thinking about the direction of where I want this story to go.

Comments ( 115 )

Great to see this story continue after so long (not counting yesterday). And with this new chapter comes a fascinating new development. And a camera? Looks like Twilight's finally going to get a look at David. :pinkiehappy:

Can't wait for the next one!

Okay you're definitely making things interesting here, though sooner or later he may have to upgrade that sucker.

The title kinda sold me what the chapter would be like...:applejackunsure:

...Did he just find a robo pony blueprint?

Wonder if he's gonna use the webcams to soehow Tron himself into Twilight's world. Maybe create an avatar for himself that Twilight can interact with?

he should get one of the multi cpu server towers just to run twilight so he can have his computer back.

I would wager the interface looks like a really dumbed down version of Source Filmmaker. Lots and lots and lots of things!
Learning camera controls would be nice.

7089266 likely he found a plugin to insert a life avatar into the scene for recording.

Keep going! ;)

Isn't the razer stargazer the most powerful consumer webcam right now?

So they can actually see each other face-to-face? Awesome, can't wait to see what direction you take this in!

The part when she tought she was home again and realised she wasn't......ouch, heartbreak right there.

I think somewhere in the future Jack and David will be helping Twilight return.

Then whoever placed her there will push back.

Beneath the desk the air was heated 

There should be a comma after desk.

Awesome chapter!!! I'm glad to see you're back to updating! I'm eager to see where this goes from here. At first I thought he was frozen in shock, but now it's more like excitement.

Man... it's been so long since the last actual chapter that I had to go back and re-read... but I'm glad I did! This was AWESOME!

7089741 Since this is set in the future, maybe Blade Galaxy Gazer would be more fitting?

And the books. Oh, the books. David couldn't begin to count how many books he could see before him.

You may start, but you won't finish...
:pinkiehappy:: "Forever!!!"
... I need a more solid forth wall...


Good story!

I just finished the previous chapter, and when I reloaded the page this new chapter appeared. Sadly I didn't have time to read it mmediately. But finally I got to do it!

7090929 FINALLY!!!!! U have no idea how long ive been waiting for u to get another chapter of this up man. Glad you finally beat your writters block and shit. Hope it doesnt happen again for awhile.

7091353 nah with razer's naming scheme it would be New Razer Stargazer Pro 2035 or something

AJC

Yassss finally another chapter is out
Thank you blue blaze!

RIce.exe?
Now I'm really interested:derpytongue2:

this story just keeps growing on me.
i really like how you work a bit of codding in to the story.

"libraryDefault.bsp loading'? What the hell is a b-s-p?"

Dohohohohohohohoho.

Looks like things are about to get interesting. Looking forward to more.
Keep up the good work. Deus tecum.

Aw man, you're gonna give us a cliffhanger like that? Given the futuristic setting of this story (17 years into the future) it might be a software feature we don't even have today, like presumably being able to use those webcams to create a VR setting (I think they make live-action VR by strapping like 6 or 7 cameras up to each other or something)

This has been a rather enjoyable read so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next for our intrepid duo.

Every time this guy's crappy system conks out I have to cringe. This program is an incredible achievement, and keeping it secret is just a crying shame. She should be the subject of research, development, cutting edge hardware, and multiple redundancies everywhere, but since he's such a loser who can't find anyone to trust, and since he wants her all to himself, she's got to deal with painful reboots and empty default libraries. She needs someone who actually wants to solve the mystery, not someone who's excitedly playing with his new toy and steadfastly ignoring the name "Richard Louis" afraid to even look him up.

7198221 Yeah? "Let the scientists have it. Whoops, who are you, people, Secret Service? What?! You can't just take the computer? You can? OK, OK, don't shoot, we will give you anything! Here's the computer with the soul inside, just don't shoot." And then Twilight breaks down from the treatments and/or dies, while blowing computer, while performing all the tests for the organisations or sumsuch...


No, this sort of development, of a magical soul being inside a computer is best left unannounced. Countries will want it, either for a working AI, the magical soul, or for negotiations with Eqestrians, while using her as a bargaining chip.

7255221
At least they'd know what to do with it!

And then Twilight breaks down from the treatments and/or dies, while blowing computer, while performing all the tests for the organisations or sumsuch...

Because it's not like scientists could actually not destroy their own experiment, right? How foolish we humans are, to try and better ourselves! Murdering the golden goose is such a good idea!

Countries will want it, either for a working AI, the magical soul, or

It seems like the main character wants it because he's a ronery recluse who wants a computer waifu all to himself. Other people will want it to revolutionize technology. And other people will want it to end the energy crisis. And other people will want it to help the mare within, and if not return her home, at least help her realize her full potential as a reality warping A.I. Other people will want to be friends with her, because she's a really nice person. There are all sorts of people in the world, and assuming the bad ones are unstoppable tyrants just plays into their hands.

Or more pertinently, when (and I mean when) the evil government figures out what's going on, is Twilight going to have any friends at all in the outside world? Or is she just going to have one single, lonely, basement bum, who did the government's work for them by keeping anyone from knowing about her who might actually be able to help. When they came to collect her it was easy to cover up, because he was the only one who knew she existed.

for negotiations with Eqestrians, while using her as a bargaining chip.

(Princess Celestia stares out at the human through the interdimensional communication viewer)
"Hahaha! Foolish pohny Princess you think you can oppose me? Look here, I have your favorite student imprisoned in one of our state of the art thinking boxes! Surrender your kingdom to me, or I will destroy your beloved student, with the power of my hard disk!"
(the real Twilight sticks her head into view of the camera)
"Actually, that's a little A.I. project of mine. I wanted a computer who could organize my files, so I scanned my brain and made a little copy of myself, to run around in there and keep things organized. But thanks for finding her, I guess. Touch one bit of her code, and I will teach you what happens to people who mess with my books. Ta ta!"
(she ducks out of the camera's view)

7255986

Because it's not like scientists could actually not destroy their own experiment, right?

I'm not talking about scientists having bad equipment or not following safety procedures. I'm talking aabout either:
a) asking for a magical action, that blows the hardware in a chain reaction of a disaster,
or
b) Twilight suffers from any cause(either enldess tests and no promises for return, lack of friends or simular reason), and, maybe, rageshifts or loses her marbles, again, destroing herself with the computer.

There are all sorts of people in the world, and assuming the bad ones are unstoppable tyrants just plays into their hands.

Yeah? Try fighting the system. Just try. Those with money have the power. Moder day situation proves it. There is crisis all over(not as pronounced as it was, but it's still there). And those with money only want more money. And they will exploit everything they can to get it.

(the real Twilight sticks her head into view of the camera)

Are you the writer? So far as I understand the real Twi is in the hard drive of that guy. By what means- I don't know. But the real she is there.

In conclusion, would YOU trust humans, if you had an innosent soul on your flash? Would you take a risk to go to an I.T. institution so that guys there would figure something out? Or would you take two risks of the scientist not believing you and frying your computer, or loosing the soul to a government? I know I wouldn't.

.bsp files... does this mean Twilight can play on Source engine maps now?

7257150

Yeah? Try fighting the system. Just try. Those with money have the power. Moder day situation proves it.

So, this morning I woke up, and got dressed without asking permission of my corporate overlords. I got dressed because it was a bit chilly, and I wanted to be dressed. Had breakfast, worked in the garden, because I wanted to. Even at work, my boss trusts me to do my job on my own, because he doesn't all the time have the power to force everyone to work.

One of the greatest myths the "powerful" perpetuate is that you can't fight the system. In fact, you already live most of your life outside the system. They depend on you believing that there's nothing you can do, because then you'll obey them when they don't have the power to force you to do so. Myself, I prefer to ignore "the system" and just interact with the people around me. Is that fighting the system? Or are you supporting the system, by your assumption that it is as powerful as you claim?

What I think is that "the system" is nothing but a scam, and in reality only tawdry hucksters without any real power support it. Those of us actually living in it generally aren't so bad, and if you'd stop raging against the machine, you'd find that there is no hierarchy, only a bunch of liars pretending that there is, and the rest of us just working hard to improve our lives.

Anyway, it's just boring when someone starts throwing men in black into their story, on the assumption that we all agree that anyone trusted in the community is therefore dag nasty evil.

Are you the writer?

You know, you're not going to believe this, but actually no, I'm not the writer! Imagine that! You can tell, because I was writing my little snippet of the future inside a reader comment, not in the story body itself. Using my amazing commenting powers, I wrote some speculation in the form of an imaginary exchange of dialogue, and regardless of whether the story goes that way or not, it will still be a very silly, tongue-in-cheek comment!

So far as I understand the real Twi is in the hard drive of that guy.

Well, congratulations on being the writer for this story, but I don't think it's allowed to have two different accounts here: SilverDiamond and "Blue Blaze {COMET}". Also you should post a new chapter, instead of playing with me in the comments here.

In conclusion, would YOU trust humans, if you had an innosent soul on your flash?

Pff innocent, you just haven't found her porn folder yet. And yes, I would trust humans, probably all of them at once. I think I'd teach her how to post on 4chan, and just let it snowball from there.

7259098

got dressed without asking permission of my corporate overlords

Continue joking, yeah. If you’re really daft, let me explain it a bit. Try fighting the government on their decisions. Like the pay, politics, and what they decide to do with research. Ignore it if you're a troll.

men in black

You have to know the difference between mythical "men in black" and real secret services. Such as FBI, KGB and such. I was sure they were real, and had authority to do whatever they think is right to make sure that their country is ahead of others. By any means necessary. Spying, forcefully acquiring knowledge, and other things.

far as I understand the real Twi

I'm pretty sure I'm not Comet. I didn't have any multiple personalities before your comment, anyway...

her porn folder

Yeah, I watched the show, and I believe that they aren't human. They don't need porn to be happy. So no.

Ok, anyone knows where Comet went? I want to read more of this story.

7259855

Try fighting the government on their decisions. Like the pay, politics, and what they decide to do with research.

Fortunately or unfortunately, "the government" makes no decisions, except collectively. They don't just decide something. They have to justify their decision, and come to an agreement, publically. Saying they just decided to torture a computerized pony for shits and giggles denies the fact that they actually had to get elected, and they actually do get fired if they're caught provoking interdimensional war.

I do agree the government shouldn't be allowed to have classified information, since historically it has harmed their nation more than it protected. But I wouldn't call that totalitarian rule. It's just more dirty tricks and fear mongering. Why should I let them intimidate me?

I watched the show, and I believe that they aren't human. They don't need porn to be happy.

Wow, it's rare that I run into someone more jaded and cynical than me. You really think humans can't be happy without porn?

7259893 I'm not afraid of government or intimidated by it. I just don't trust them.

humans can't be happy without porn?

Well... Seeing the amount of it on the webs...

Speaking of cynical? I hate humanity. Yeah, boo all around. I don't care. We, in our present... mindset do not deserve any good things... Not space travel, not advanced tech, and ESPECIALLY not contact with other civilizations.

7259929

We, in our present... mindset do not deserve any good things...

The fact that you said "we" in that sentence, and not "they"... :fluttershysad:

7261317 Well, I AM a human... Last time I checked anyway. Bipedal, tan skin, five fingered hand with opposable thumb. *looks in mirror*. I Look like a human. That, and all the medical tests at hospitals showed standart results.

But seriously, until we have a better morality stance overall, better not allow us anywhere... Near technologies or other civilisations.

7261385
I don't care if it's true for every human being besides you. You're still not them. To deny yourself nice things out of a wish to curb the failings of other humans is a destructive, and defeatist attitude. Even if you truly do hate your fellow man for his percieved flaws, please don't hate yourself.

7263308 Huh, well put, I have to say. Still, returning to the thing that got this whole mess of a conversation started. Would you trust government to not use Twi in their interest, but to help her? Would you trust it to spend money on research to not advance their might, but to help her to go home? I'd say - no way in hell. They'd do everything to keep her to themselves. Interdimensional politics or no.

7263351
I'd trust that certain governments would try to pull some shenanigans, and if they could get away with it without getting caught, sure they'd do unspeakably cruel things to her. But the question then is not how to keep her secret from them. It's how to stop them from keeping her a secret! If you can stop your government from locking someone away secretly, so they can be held accountable, that's your best chance at keeping Twilight safe from nasty people.

And you know a really good way to help the government keep her a secret, and have carte blanche to do awful things to her? If the guy who finds her doesn't tell anyone about it!

So I'm not saying he needs to call up Evil Inc. and report for pickup in the black helicopters. I'm saying he needs to ask people about it, like actual people he thinks who could help. Sure one of them could call Commienazi central, but the more people who know about it, the harder it will be for organized crime disguised as law enforcement to cover it up and steal her away.

7265631

If the guy who finds her doesn't tell anyone about it!

It's not that he will not tell, but rather will he have the chance to tell. Do you think that government will just take the target and NOT deal with witnesses?

like actual people he thinks who could help

Once again, difference between smart people and very smart people, is that the very smart ones know when to be quiet. Are you REALLY sure that the friend you're talking with will NOT report you. Are you certain that you are not being monitored? Info has an ability to leak, no matter how hard you try to shush it(two way road, government will know, and the public will know). But what is said public against a determined system? Yeah, citizens might go on a demonstration.
“Free Twilight. Freedom to ambassador.”
Queue SWAT and tear gas with severe beatings.
And that is happening just for mere money and power. If they were to get their hands on magical “superweapon” and/or knowledge… Lethality of the “peace enforcement” will skyrocket tenfold.

7266386

It's not that he will not tell, but rather will he have the chance to tell.

The longer he keeps it a secret, the less chance he's got. And it's a lot easier to get rid of one witness than a lot of them.

Are you REALLY sure that the friend you're talking with will NOT report you.

Doesn't matter, if enough friends can keep them from stealing her. This dystopian government you speak of can't just grab people off the streets without being checked by an angry populace. Within the government there are people trying to defend justice, and there are people trying to get blackmail material; finding out that you committed crimes against humanity, or... ponanity is not something that gets you re-elected.

It's a different situation than if he was trying to get away with something like murder, because the government wouldn't have to hide their response to that.

“Free Twilight. Freedom to ambassador.”

Queue SWAT and tear gas with severe beatings.

Yeah, sure, because the whole world is Oakland, California. We might be sinful humans and all, but we're not all bowing to Fidel Castro for goodness' sakes. The police in my area had to make new laws banning peaceful assembly, just so they could weasel their way into having an excuse to oust people from protesting. Even then they didn't do so violently, just with trumped up fines and unlawful confiscations to make sure people couldn't stay.

There is a very real danger, but it's not that police will crush protests with an iron fist. They don't need to do that. What they do instead is find ways to keep people from protesting in the first place. Take away their power, keep them busy all the time, keep them at odds with each other, spread propaganda about how only paranoid morons question their lot in life. The workday commute is far more effective at stopping people from protesting than ganging up on protestors. TV and vidya are way more effective at taking people's attention away from upper class crimes being committed. And campaigns to force you to accept that humans are beyond help, and you shouldn't even bother to try participating in politics because it's just a lost cause, ensure that most people won't even get involved.

Once most people have been so oppressed, the few who stand out can be focused on and vilified. Like how a criminal record isn't supposed to be a death sentence, but since so many people have stayed in line and never been convicted, you're always at the end of the list for any future hiring. They don't even have to go after you. They can just say you weren't good as the rest of the candidates, and they're only making you live with your parents as a mere side effect of doing business.

But tear gassing crowds? That's so 20th century.

And that is happening just for mere money and power. If they were to get their hands on magical “superweapon” and/or knowledge… Lethality of the “peace enforcement” will skyrocket tenfold.

We already figured out how to sterilize the planet's surface 4 times over. How much more superweapony are you gonna get? Superweapons are dramatic and all, but there is no "mere" money and power. Power is a huge reason that police get nasty. When one person has all the power, and everyone else is powerless, that's the setup for an evil dictatorship. Rule of law falls apart when rule by force is practical.

7267033 Well, you're lucky to have so much faith in others. I'd sit it out. Besides, let me repeat: if people in the lead want something, they get it. They have more power then regular citizens. The penalties won’t come fast enough to PREVENT the problem. Because it might be justifiable for the leaders. “Hey, with the tech/knowledge/magic I get from it I can evade the punishment, AND increase influence of my country. To the point that nobody will be ABLE to punish me.” So, yeah, local specialists and volunteering work all the way. Keep anything of value away from gov’s…

I hope this is continued. He's not dead, is he?

7278460 He'd better be, because it would be his only excuse for abandoning this site for more than 4 weeks. Even with real life problems, is it so hard to pop in and post a short blog:
"Sorry, too much work/study, can't talk, se ya later."
Why am I so angry? Because I'M SICK AND TIRED OF AUTHORS ABANDONING STORIES FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!
Sorry, but I had just about enought of this...

7267033 Pretty true, I suppose.

7375366 I'm not talking about schedules. I'm talking about them leaving the stories unfinished, and dropping the site. "Forget"? Who forgets things for years? And don't tell me it's only been 6 weeks, I can see where this is going. If you're really set on defending them, PM me, and I'll drop you quite a few stories that are abandoned, and authors have left for more than month without any explanation. Yeah, continue to downvote me. I'm done being nice to those authors.

Login or register to comment