• Published 2nd Jun 2015
  • 5,377 Views, 707 Comments

The Dusk Guard Saga: Beyond the Borderlands - Viking ZX



Blade Sunchaser is a griffon on the run. Six days ago she was in a jail cell. Now, she's out, and she’s got a job to do, a job with a payoff bigger than any she’s earned before. And she'll do whatever it takes to see her mission through.

  • ...
10
 707
 5,377

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35 - You Know How to Reach Me

Canterlot - Some time later

“—and, well, that’s it.” Blade sat back as she finished her story, her wings tucked at her sides, waiting for one of the two immortals to respond. Both of them were eyeing her with unreadable gazes, though periodically throughout her tale she’d seen their eyes flicker towards one another, or towards one of the two crystalline keys sitting on the desk before them. They had listened patiently, only interrupting her telling of events to ask to ask after clarification of details or key moments, but other than that, the pair had been silent through her entire report.

“Interesting,” the smaller of the pair, Princess Luna, said, her voice filling the office just enough that Blade had no doubt that her voice was perfectly audible to everyone but the Guard outside. “I must admit, when Hunter finally confided in us that he had hired you—” Blade let her eyes slip to the side of the room, where both Hunter and his commander, Captain Song, were sitting at attention by the wall. Or at least, as “at attention” as Hunter was capable of being. He’d slouched slightly over the course of her tale, though his own outbursts of surprise had been silenced early on by a glance from his Captain.

“—I must admit that I expressed reservations,” Princess Luna finished. “But to face down an immortal such as Anubis, and live? Truly, your deeds have been the thing of legend. Few are those who could say that they have faced such a foe and walked away unscathed, must less boast of his death with such a rousing battle!” The Princess’s wings flared out slightly, but then she frowned, leaning forward over the desk, and Blade had to fight the instinct to shy back as their eyes locked. “And you are sure you killed him?”

“Yes.” She answered quickly and without hesitation. “Frost here put an arrow through his heart.” She motioned towards the mare, who was sitting quietly in the back of the room, wearing a battered, peach-colored dress that didn’t really mesh with her coat. Then again, you’re not wearing anything formal, and the ice queen is, so who are you to judge if she wants to wear that?

“I see,” Princess Luna said, a sad look coming into her eyes as she turned towards Frost. “My condolences on the loss of your brother. I am sorry that you were forced to be the brunt of ill-will centuries removed from you.”

“As am I,” Princess Celestia said, her multi-hued mane shifting as she spoke. Her voice was softer than her sister’s, less tempered, but no less full of intelligence and capacity. “Believe me when I say we truly thought Anubis defeated. I am truly sorry, Frost, for your loss.” There was a weight behind both of their words, a feeling of genuine meaning.

“Thank you,” Frost said, the first words she’d spoken since she’d entered the room. She gave them both a quiet nod, but other than that, the mare was silent.

Princess Celestia seemed to understand, offering a small nod in return before turning her eyes back towards Blade. “Now,” she said, her voice full and rich. “While this does explain many of the intelligence reports and news posts that have been coming across my and my sister’s desk, it does not finish the full story. The Necropolis is at the bottom of the sea?”

“In pieces, Princess,” Blade said, nodding. “Either it was never meant to have those crystals pulled out, or it was as a result of Alchemy’s blowing a good chunk of the bottom away, but it came apart as it fell. The whole thing’s under a kilometer of water now. And even if someone could find it and take the keys back, I doubt there’d be much left that would work.”

“Good,” the Princess said, nodding. “And what transpired afterward?”

“Well,” she said, shrugging. “There’s not much to tell. We patched ourselves up as best we could, got Hain’s leg set, and made our way towards civilization. From there we worked our way north until we could arrange passage aboard a passenger transport headed to Equestria—”

“All entirely legally, I’m sure,” Princess Celestia said with a faint smile, and Blade paused, unsure as to how to react. Sure, there had been the moment where she’d threatened a few minor officials to let her and the team through without further delay, and there had been that local constable who’d somehow pegged her and the rest of the team as the trio in the papers that had torn up a guard station in Sheerwater, but … She smiled. She knew how to answer the Princess’s statement.

“As legally as we travelled here,” Blade said. There was a loud laugh from Princess Luna that jerked everyone’s eyes in her direction, and the Diarch covered her mouth with her hoof as she saw their gazes, hiding a wide smile.

“Apologies,” she said, her eyes twinkling. “Continue.”

“Well, that’s pretty much it,” Blade said, shrugging. “We made our way back here as quickly as possible, aside from a short stop to get our claws on some ingredients for a bone-mending potion for Hain.” And for my ribs, she thought, though that had been a secondary concern. Still, three broken ribs had made flying hurt. “Getting past your border wasn’t too hard now that I—I mean we—weren’t on such a tight clock.”

“Yes,” Princess Celestia said, her expression moving towards disapproval. “I am familiar with the last time you crossed Equestria’s borders. At Northgait? Thank you for not feeling the need to hijack another train in your eagerness to get here.”

“In my defense, Princess,” she said, trying to give her a confident grin. “Your Guard did have an arrest warrant out for me over my last job that was conflicting with my current one. I had to follow the trail while I still could.”

“I understand,” the Diarch said, her wings shifting ever so slightly behind her back. “And thankfully, no one was badly hurt during your escape, though there were some wounded egos, and the destruction of a very expensive steam engine to account for, as well as damages to Northgait itself that could have plunged us into a difficult political situation with the lands beyond it.”

“Well—”

“Thankfully,” the Princess continued, lifting one hoof into the air. “The situation beyond the Crystal Mountain Range has changed, and now that I and my sister have heard your story, some of the reports we’ve been receiving from the Ocean of Endless Ice are beginning to make more sense. All of you may be interested to know that two weeks ago my sister and I received a declaration of sovereignty from an organization called The Inter-city Council of the Ocean, a representative government now responsible for the nation of the Ocean of Endless Ice—though they did warn us that the name might change in the coming months.”

“Still,” she continued before any of them could speak. “Your tale does a great deal to alleviate our curiosity at some of the individuals whose names were written on the missive, including their current head-of-state, a certain Chancellor Titus—”

From behind her, Blade heard Frost give a small snigger.

“—and their military commander, one Fleet Admiral Arcwing.” At that, Blade lifted an eyebrow, and out of the corner of her eye she could see Hain doing the same. If Arcwing had taken up the title of Fleet Admiral, that meant that he could no longer be the Patriarch of the Icewing clan. Which meant Teardrop Eyrie had a new leader.

“This news, combined with your story—and your reactions,” Princess Celestia said, her eyes ever so slightly glancing towards Frost. Apparently her barely contained laugh hadn’t been as hidden as she had hoped. “—give us hope that the proposed promise of renewed stability on the Ocean has at long last been one in good faith, and one that may see a more prosperous and more peaceful establishment of relations between our borders.”

Blade wasn’t quite sure how to respond to the Diarch’s words. “Um … you’re welcome?”

“We will, however, be charging you for the destruction of the steam engine.”

“Ah. Right.” There wasn’t much she could say about that. “Yeah, that’s … that’s fair.” I’ll just cut it out of my share so none of the others take the hit for it.

“In addition to giving us more information about events to the north,” Princess Celestia continued without missing a beat. “Your story also will be of great relief to the Griffon Empire, who have been at a heightened state of alert for the last few weeks. Now not only do we know why, but we can reassure them that it was taken care of. And don’t worry,” she said, her tone warm. “We won’t inform them of your involvement.”

I would think not, Blade thought as Princess Celestia nodded towards her sister. That was kind of the point of this to begin with, right? Send someone off to places you could go that you had no knowledge about? She glanced over at Hunter, eyeing the light-brown pegasus as he gave her a nervous grin. He’s still got his job, so I guess they were alright with it.

“And, to our great relief, you have answered the question of where the last piece of the key went when it vanished from Luna’s study some weeks ago.” Princess Celestia reached out with one hoof, touching it gently against the side of one of the keys. “To add to that, you four not only thwarted that plot, but did something that it appears even my sister and I were unable to do: Stop Anubis.” She let out a sigh, a faraway, almost sad look coming across her face. “He always was a clever one.”

She shook her head, the look vanishing as her long, multi-colored mane rippled behind her. “Regardless, you’ve performed a great service, not just for Equestria, but for all the nations.” She gave Blade an expectant look.

“Um, thank you, Princess,” she said, giving her a respectful nod. “We did what we could.”

“Nay,” Princess Luna said, shaking her head. “You have all done far more than was expected of you, at great cost to yourselves.”

“Which is why,” Princess Celestia said, smoothly taking over. “We would be happy to pay you not just the original agreed-upon amount—extravagant as it was—” Once again eyes flickered towards Hunter, and the light-brown pegasus seemed to shrink a little in his seat. “—but twice that, for services rendered.”

Blade felt her jaw go slack. Twice? Four-hundred thousand bits?

“Minus the cost of the steam engine you destroyed, along with a few medical bills,” Princess Luna said, though there was a calm smile on her face as she said it. “Additionally, we would like to extend a full pardon to you in particular, Blade Sunchaser, clearing you of your crimes in Equestria.”

She blinked. Both eventualities were unexpected. But …

“Actually, your highness,” she said. “If it’s all the same to you I’d rather not be pardoned for those crimes.” Both Princesses’ eyes opened wide, and she saw Princess Luna’s wings flare out a bit in surprise.

“Thou—!” the Lunar Diarch began before composing herself. “Did I mistake my own ears, Sunchaser? You want the charges against you to stand?”

“Actually, yeah,” Blade said, smiling at the looks of surprise on both their faces as she spoke. How many could claim they’d surprised the Diarchs of Equestria? “No offense, I’m glad for the offer, but—”

“But whatever for?” Princess Luna asked, a look of confusion on her face. “If you do not accept this pardon we have offered th—you ... Then you will still be sought after by our own Guard within the borders of our nation!”

“I know,” she said, her grin widening a little. “But I’m a wandering claw, and you just can’t buy reputation like that. Having you guys after me for some job I did—and then escaping to do another job? That’s dedication that looks good for me. Tar—” she caught herself before the word slipped out. “I mean, wow. It’s the kind of thing that’ll let my employers know I’m serious.”

“But it may also connect you with employers of less-than-virtuous intentions,” Princess Luna said, frowning. “Would that not be sullying in your eyes?”

She shrugged. “It’s not like I have to take those jobs. But it keeps me informed, and respected on some level, which means I’ll probably be able to find work I do approve of pretty easy. Besides, eventually there has to be an upper limit on how long Equestria will bear a grudge against me.”

“True,” Princess Celestia said, though Blade could see that she didn’t quite like the idea. “And it is your choice. But it does bring us to another question, that of what you intend to do now?”

“Well, I can’t speak for the team,” Blade said, glancing back at each of them. “But me, personally? I’ll probably relax for a few weeks, count my scars, and then start looking for a new job.”

“If you’d like, you could stay here,” Princess Celestia said. “And that extends to each of you. For a time or, if you wish, permanently. It’s the least we could offer, after several of you sacrificed your homes in order to bring Anubis’s plans to an end. Or this cult’s,” she said, and Blade saw a look of sorrow cross her face at the mention of the Order. “I am glad to hear that the beings behind that darkness and evil have finally been put to rest.”

“Well, it’s a nice offer, and I can’t speak for all of us,” Blade said. “But me? I think I’m going to make my path elsewhere.”

“Very well.” Princess Celestia gave her a nod. “In that case then, I must admit there are one or two final pieces of your story I am curious about.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. Such as the fate of the expedition that had been uncovering Anubis’s weapon?”

“Ah, that,” Blade said, nodding. “I checked that out, actually. The official story in the paper was pretty trimmed down—” Probably to avoid panic and check for confirmations, she thought, “—but it did say that thanks to the intervention of a ‘heroic’ airship captain out on a flight over the desert, none of the members of the team were lost, though there were a number of injuries. Past that?” She shrugged. “I’m sure they’ll spend some time answering question after question before getting back to their lives—or what’s left of them, since their work just quite literally flew off.”

Princess Celestia looked at her sister, both of them lifting a solitary eyebrow, and Blade had the distinct impression that there was going to be a quiet inquiry at the Canterlot Museum later that day.

“Well then,” Princess Celestia said. “Then there is one other element of your story that we wish to inquire after. You mentioned a name that my sister and I have heard quite a bit recently. The Violet Heart?”

“Oh. Yeah.” She’d deliberately skimmed that part of her story—along with a few others—leaving out both the particulars of how she’d tracked the contact down and the details of the deal she’d struck. “Them.” She could guess what they were going to ask. “Sorry, but I don’t think I’ll be much help there. I only went through local sources, and I wouldn’t talk about those even if you asked.”

“I see,” the Solar Diarch said, pressing her lips together. “I suppose that answers that, then.”

“I take it you have an issue with them, then?” Blade asked.

“No, not as such,” Princess Celestia said with a shake of her head.

“We are, however, quite curious as to their methods and capabilities,” Princess Luna cut in. “They have managed to build quite the network across a number of nations, and yet we’ve not been able to determine who they are or what purpose, if any, they have in mind for the knowledge they’re amassing.”

Blade smiled. “If you’ll forgive my being blunt, it sounds like you’re both running afoul of something one of my old commanders said about governments not liking rival intelligence groups that could outdo them.” The Diarchs exchanged glances once more, and Blade smiled.

“Regardless,” she said, “don’t look to me to for help there, unless you want to hire me.”

“The thought has crossed my mind,” Princess Luna said, her eyes drifting to the keys. “Especially in light of the competence you’ve displayed in recovering these keys. A position on the Dusk Guard itself wouldn’t be remiss for your skills, nor any of those on your team, I think.”

“Thanks, but no thanks,” Blade said, shaking her head. “I prefer being a free agent.”

“I presumed that would be the case,” the Lunar Diarch said, smiling. “And to be perfectly honest with you, I think that’s a place where some are meant to do the most good. After all, we all need some space to stretch our wings, do we not?”

“Now then,” she said, turning her head slightly before Blade could respond and looking at her sister. “Unless you have any further questions, sister, I believe that we can move onto the second part of this meeting.” Princess Celestia nodded.

“Very well,” Princess Luna said, bringing her attention back to Blade. For a moment, she felt like the Princess was looking right through her, ageless wisdom and experience seeing right through her and staring at her very heart. It was all she could do to keep her ruff from flaring outward in surprise. It was almost like she was a fledgling again, fresh out of her egg and looking up into the eyes of her parents. There was knowledge and age she couldn’t fathom in those eyes, something beyond mortal reckoning.

But it was kind. Warm, if a little stern. Completely different in every way from the flat, cold look she’d seen in the eyes of Anubis.

“I shall see to it that our financial office prepares your payment,” Princess Luna said, and the look faded. “We can transfer the money to a specified account, or you may take it in cash, your choice. However, since either will require at least a few minutes to prepare …” She looked around the room, her eyes stopping on both Frost and Alchemy. “If it would be possible, my sister and I would like to speak to the two pony members of your party alone.”

Frost looked up, her eyes wide open in surprise and her jaw slightly slack. Her eyes darted from the Princesses to Blade, and she offered the mare a shrug. It’s your choice, she thought.

“Fine by me,” she said, rising from her seat and bowing slightly. “Should Hain and I wait outside?”

“That would be perfectly acceptable,” Princess Celestia said. “Captain Song? Lieutenant Hunter?” Both ponies straightened at the sound of their names, though Blade wasn’t sure how it was possible in the captain’s case. “You are, for the moment, dismissed. Good work.” Hunter grinned, while beside him Captain Song just nodded. “I’m sure you have other things to do.” Blade didn’t miss the twinkle in the Diarch’s eye as she said it. The meaning was clear. Go catch up with your friend.

Hunter and Captain Song—it was still strange to think of the large earth pony as a Bıçakların ustası—both saluted before turning for the door. Hunter, she noticed, had an extra kick to his step, and she turned to follow him out the door.

“So,” she asked as soon as they were out, the door closing behind them. “How’s that marefriend of yours?”

Hunter’s eyes widened a little. “You just took out—!” His jaw snapped shut, his eyes flicking to the Royal and Night Guard standing at attention by the door. “You just went through all that, and you want to ask about my love life? Crikey, Blade.”

“I’ve gotta stay grounded somehow,” she said with a smirk. “And since you said ‘love life,’ I guess it’s going well?”

“Yeah, it is,” he said, smiling. “She’s a dinkum friend, all right.” Then his face soured slightly. “And apparently I’m not.”

“What?”

“Blade, I almost got you killed with that job.”

She shrugged. “So? I like a little excitement. I’ve almost died before.”

“Yeah,” Hunter said, his wings drooping slightly. “But this job I got you into. I feel crook, Blade. If you’d died, that one would have been on me. I meant for the job to be easy.”

She frowned. “Oh?”

“Well, yeah,” he said, adjusting his hat. “I knew we’d made a mess out of your last job … and you know I felt bad about how that all turned out—”

“Hey, Hunter,” she said, resting a pair of claws on his shoulder. “I didn’t like it either, and I kind of took the job for the same reason, all right? So as long as we both feel equally bad about it, well …” She sat back on her haunches, extending her talons out towards him. “Let’s let bad winds be old winds, all right? I felt pretty rotten about it too.” More than you know actually. “But you know, I wouldn’t want one bad job to come between us. Friends?”

For a moment Hunter looked at her outstretched talons, and then he smiled. “Friends, and rapped to say it.” His hoof came out, and they both shook on it. “Bad winds behind us …”

“And onward to new skies,” she said, finishing the old saying as she dropped his hoof. “So, I saw that bit about the Crystal Empire in the papers. You have anything to do with that?”

He grinned. “If I did, you know that as much as I wanted to, I probably couldn’t talk about it, right?”

“Right,” she said, returning his grin. “Security stuff.”

He nodded. “Spot on. Couldn’t tell you a thing about what a hard yakka that would be. You know, if it happened at all.”

“Uh-huh,” she said, giving him a smirk. “And how’s the snow up there this time of the year?”

He blanched. “Oh, you don’t want to know,” he said. “Colder than old Greyclaw on a bad day.”

She let out a laugh at the mention of their old flight instructor. “That cold, huh?”

“Colder,” Hunter said, letting out a chuckle himself. “I tell you, I saw icicles there that—”

“I’ll bet the Ocean was colder.”

He paused, eyes narrowing as he stared at her. Then he shook his head. “No bet,” he said. “You might win, and I’ve learned my lesson.”

She grinned. “Still smarts, huh?”

“The bruises Cloudseeker gave me still haven’t healed,” Hunter said. “If you want to bet something, Blade, all I have to say is buckleys.”

She let out a laugh. “Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad.”

“I couldn’t leave my cabin for two days, Blade,” he said. “Two days! Cloudseeker had somebody outside my door every day! It made the rest of flight camp whonky!”

“Oh go stuff your head in a thundercloud,” she said, still grinning. “You know you were sweet on her.”

“Oh, yeah,” Hunter said with a roll of his eyes. “Right up until she mashed her hooves into a very sensitive area.” He shook his head. “Come to think of it, I’m starting to think that maybe I am even with you for this whole key thing.”

She scoffed. “Really. Didn’t you just say you felt bad for me almost dying?”

“Getting hit there is the same thing, Blade,” he said, shaking his head, a shudder running through his body. “Trust me, you just don’t understand.” He let out a laugh, and she joined in. It felt good.

“So,” she said, glancing down the hall in the direction of Captain Song and Hain. Both the pair seemed to be having a contest to outstare one another, and she wasn’t quite sure who was winning. “Before we get talking about what’s new, I’ve just got one question. You ever find out what happened to my old boss?”

“Mint?” Hunter shook his head. “No. She just disappeared. We’re still looking, but we’re not even sure she’s alive at this point.”

“What about Radiant?”

“She’s still in therapy,” Hunter said. “Getting better, but last I heard she had a ways to go. If she ever gets better, we’ve got a lot of charges to pin on her, but otherwise …” He shrugged.

Blade nodded. “Right. Just curious. So, happier topics. Your marefriend?”

“Thistle,” Hunter said, letting out a sigh. “She’s … something else.”

“She must be,” Blade said, noting the dreamy look in his eyes. “Why don’t you tell me about her? True … dinkum?”

Hunter let out another laugh, dropping onto his haunches in the hall. “Close enough,” he said. He sighed again. “Let me think … Where to start? Oh,” he said, clicking his hoof against the stone floor. “How about with how we met …”

Blade let herself relax, tucking her wings against her sides and Hunter began to tell her about their first “date.”

It was good to be done. But it even better to still have her friend.

* * *

Hain stared across the hall at the large, olive-green earth pony. He was older than the last time he’d seen him, a few more wrinkles about the eyes, but he was still the same pony. There was no mistaking it. And he was a captain now.

He wasn’t too surprised. There were, after all, only so many jobs for a pony like that to go around.

Still, he didn’t quite feel comfortable standing across the hall from him. That was a part of his life that was long gone. He had no right to speak, to open his mouth, to even acknowledge it. He was, after all, Hain.

But still, part of yearned to know, to ask …

“Hain,” Steel said, his voice breaking the ice between them. The earth pony gave him a polite nod.

“Steel,” he said back, returning the nod. “Been a long time.”

“Years,” Steel said. “You showing up here today was the biggest surprise I’ve had in a while.”

For a moment he said nothing. Then he shrugged. “I’d imagine it was as big a surprise for me as it was for you. You’re a captain now.”

“And you’re a mercenary.”

“It happened.”

“So do a lot of things.”

The silence stretched again between them, and Hain wanted to tap his talons across the floor. He didn’t want to broach the subject, it wasn’t right for him to, but …

“Does your brother—?” Steel began, but Hain shook his head, and the earth pony caught himself. “Right. The whole ‘exile’ thing.”

“Even if I believe what was done to me wasn’t entirely correct, I still have to bear the consequences of my own actions,” Hain said.

“It doesn’t mean it’s right,” Steel replied quickly.

“No,” Hain said, agreeing. “But nonetheless, I have my honor, and I will carry it until the end.”

“I know.”

Again the silence between them. Nearby Blade and her friend were laughing about something, and he was glad her focus was elsewhere. He didn’t want to her to see what he was about to do.

“However …” he said, and he caught the twitch of Steel’s ear. “Sometimes what I am required to do, and what I can do, may be two closely related things, not specifically unrelated to one another.” It took the captain a moment to parse his meaning, but then he nodded.

“What do you want to know?” Steel asked.

“I ... How is he?” he asked. “You know, after …” He couldn’t refer to it. Not directly. Not just because his exile technically forbid him to, but because the memory of not being there for it still broke his heart.

“He’s doing fine,” Steel said. “He was a little broken up after the funeral, but he’s strong.”

Hain smiled. “He always was.”

“Yeah. He misses you, though. So did they. I don’t think any of them ever truly stopped thinking of you as family.”

“No,” he said, shaking his head. He couldn’t either. “I’d imagine not.”

“He works here now,” Steel said, and Hain felt his tail twitch in surprise. “Right here in Canterlot.”

“He emigrated?”

“No,” Steel said, shaking his head. “He’s a bodyguard down at the embassy. He’s a blademaster too, now.”

Hain nodded. “I’d heard that. As are you.”

“Yeah,” Steel said with a smile. “We still get together every so often for a match, now that I’m stationed here.”

“Good.” There wasn’t much else he could say. “I’m glad to hear he’s doing well.”

“Anything you want me to pass onto him?” Steel asked.

Hain glanced up the hall. The Guard outside the Princesses’ office was opening the doors. They would be leaving soon. “No. I wouldn’t … I wouldn’t want to open old memories. Please, don’t tell him I was here.” It hurt to say it, but it would hurt worse if his brother knew.

Steel nodded. “I understand.”

He returned the nod. “You always were a good friend to my little brother, Steel. Thank you.” The earth pony captain smiled as the door to the Princesses’ office opened, Alchemy and Frost walking out, the Princesses themselves right behind him.

It was time to leave again. He gave Steel a curt nod, and then, for old time’s sake, a salute. Both were returned.

Then he turned away, walking up the hall, his talons clicking against the stone as Blade rose to meet the Diarchs.

Part of him hurt, but another part of him felt good. He hadn’t had any news about his little brother in decades.

It felt good to know that Primetail was doing well.

* * *

“As promised,” Princess Luna said, passing over a large, heavy pair of saddlebags with her magic. “Your payment. In Equestrian Bars and a little change.”

Blade took it, grinning as she felt the bars inside clink against one another. She wanted to open it right then and there, pull each bar out and feel the weight of her payment in her claws … but that could wait.

“So,” she said, glancing at Alchemy and Frost, her brain doing a slight skip at the sight of Frost’s dress. It still seemed odd, though Frost seemed determined to make it work. “You two going to stay here then?”

“We had a nice talk,” Alchemy said. “But no.”

Frost nodded. “At the very least, we have a payment to divvy up,” she said. “So wherever you’re going, I guess we’re following, at least until we talk it over.”

“Same for me,” Hain said, walking up behind her. There was a look on his face she couldn’t quite place, though it was buried beneath a couple of layers of stoicness. “We can work it out later.”

“Right,” Blade said, looking back up at the Princesses. “Well then, I guess this is goodbye for now. Unless, you know, you need my services again for something.”

“And what if we do?” Princess Celestia asked, lifting one eyebrow. “I can’t deny that it may be a possibility in the future. How will we contact you?”

She grinned. “Talk to Lieutenant Hunter, there,” she said, tossing the saddlebags across her back. “He’ll know how. After all, we’re friends. We’ll be in touch. That or blow something up. That’ll get my attention,”

“Uh, Blade,” Hunter said as Princess Celestia’s eyes went wide.

“Relax!” she said, bowing before the two Princesses. “Trust me, if you need me again, you know how to reach me. You just have to have the winning bid, and judging by this payment …” She shook the bags, the bars clinking against one another. “You do,” she said, winking. “So, until next time?”

Celestia nodded. “Until next time, Blade Sunchaser. May the sun and moon shine on you.”

“As long as you both keep them there,” Blade said, clicking her talons once more as she looked down at the rest of her team, and then at Hunter and Captain Song. “See you boys both later,” she said as she turned and began moving down the hall, Hain, Alchemy, and Frost all at her back.

“I’ve got a payday to celebrate.”

* * *

It really does look pretty awesome, Blade thought as she watched the city of Canterlot slide by beneath the airship. They were over the city outskirts now, and the sun was out, glinting off of the snow-capped rooftops and spires and turning the city into a diamond encrusted marvel as they passed by overhead. She could even see a few early Hearth’s Warming decorations going up, colored lights and festive streamers hanging from doorways and along streetlights. Yup, definitely a pretty awesome place. There was the sound of someone clearing their throat behind her. Anyway.

“So!” she said, turning and looking across the deck of the small, high-speed courier. Hain, Alchemy, and Frost were all standing around in a circle, eyes on her as the ship’s autopilot carried them away. There was still some equipment stacked on the deck, crates that hadn’t been loaded yet, and what little gear they had was piled against the gunwale. “What do we do now?”

“It’s a good question,” Alchemy said. “Got any ideas?”

“A few,” she said, giving them a nonchalant shrug as she took a few steps forward, their payment clinking on her back. She pulled the saddlebags off and opened them, tossing them out onto the deck. Heavy metal bars, each composed of gold, silver, and platinum, spilled out across the deck “We could split the money like agreed, four ways, me minus my damage fees, and go our separate ways.”

“Or?” Frost asked. She was still wearing her peach-colored dress.

“We could keep the money, bank it, and see what other jobs there are out there for us,” she said, grinning. “I gotta be honest, I like working with you guys, and I think we make a pretty good team. There’d be a lot of work out there for us if we stuck together, and let’s be frank: It’s work we’re all well-suited for. What do you say?” She took a deep breath, her chest swelling as she looked at each of them.

“Do I get a say in the matter?” a shaky, unfamiliar voice asked.

“What?” She turned, eyes widening as she spotted the original owner cowering against the gunwale, his wings tucked tightly at his sides.

“Oh,” she said. "Sorry. I forgot to throw you overboard.

“Oh,” the small pegasus said, a look of relief on his face. Then his ears stood straight up. “Wait, what?”

“You’ll be fine,” Blade said as she wrapped her forelegs around his chest and lifted him into the air. “You’ve got wings, the snow is nice and soft, and we’re barely outside of the city.” She pulled her forelegs back, preparing to toss the pegasus off the side. Then she paused.

“By the way, how much do we owe you for the ship?”

“It cost me eighteen thousand bits?” he said, his voice squeaking.

“Right,” she said. “We’ll give you twenty. Look for the impact craters.” There was a faint scream as she threw the pegasus over the edge.

“Right,” she said, turning back to the rest of the group, and flashing them a grin. “So, a team? Otherwise we need to figure out who’s paying for this thing.”

“I could do a team,” Alchemy said, nodding and giving her a smile. “I think we could do a lot of good out there.”

“Right. Frost?”

“I could use some scenery that isn’t ice,” the mare said, grinning. It was almost eerie. “Travel the world, get rich, take out some bad guys? Sounds like my kind of job. And it’s a step up from piracy.”

“Great,” Blade said, grinning as she turned to the last member of their team. “Hain?” For a moment the old griffon just looked at her, and she felt a twinge of worry. Then he nodded.

“Sure,” he said. “But we’ll need a name.”

“Perfect!” she said, clapping her talons together and letting out a laugh. “Somebody toss that poor pegasus two of those ten-thousand bit bars, and let’s get this team moving!” She took another glance at the now distant city of Canterlot. There were dots in the sky, Royal Guard taking wing as they came after the hijacked airship.

“Got a destination in mind?” Alchemy asked as he moved towards the cabin. Behind him, Frost tossed two of the Equestrian bars over the side.

“Pretty much anywhere but here,” Blade said with a grin as she took one last look behind them. “I have a feeling the Royal Guard might disagree with us not waiting a few days for tickets.”

“Anywhere it is,” Alchemy said, stepping into the cabin and taking up a seat by the wheel. Underfoot the rumble of the engine increased, the small airship picking up speed. “We’re on our way.”

“Good,” she said as the Hain and Frost stepped into the cabin behind her, closing the door. “It’s time for the rest of the world to meet us.”

“And we are?” Frost asked.

Blade grinned. Hunter and his whole crew are going to love this, she thought.

“Who else?” she asked as the airship soared through the sky. “It’s perfect name for all of us. Like Princess Luna said, we’re practically already there.” Around her the team looked on, expectant faces waiting, and she opened her beak.

“The Dusk Rogues.”

Ahead of them, the open sky beckoned.

Final Tally
Count of Laws Broken: 3
Total Laws Broken: 114
Damage Value (In Bits): 18,749
Total Damage Value (in Bits): 1,812,770

Author's Note:

CREDITS

Dedicated to all the MLP: FiM fans whose music, art, and writing I've enjoyed since I discovered the show ...

And also to the fans of the Dusk Guard, who commented, chatted, and helped recommend my fic to others.

SPECIAL THANKS

Alpha Readers
Jorlem
Seirs
Raptra

Cover Art
Midnight Sonare

Readers

HypeMaster
Bjarnulf
Equinox_
ReaderRyn
Cromegas_Flare
Lafiir

Hoopy McGee
MightyFenrir
Nova89
Corsair
AuDragon
Thunderblast

Fallenmoon
DoomManta
Crystal Static
CrowMagnon
Armadillidium vulgare
Ace Azzermeen

Relhon
Not so New Brony
omni001
Ash19256
Vinop
Kim Kimera Kimes

Seirs
Nightly Creeper
Raptra
Derpmind
aduck
PlaceHolder

Nova_Eclipse
Marked of Luna
y8happy
paul
Obsidian
terrycloth

Winter Storm
MustangII
Chronos Skywinds
nighters
LordGraygem
KalAllBea

_Checkmate_
MerlosTheMad
Barmaid 32
thegriffencrimson
Fluffy Shogun
Freeze Flame

LordLewsTherin
Charedfirescale
LiamsShadow
ThatOneGuyWhoIs
shaventalz
Warlan29

x6tr2ni
Snowfall1775
glutenfreetoast
TobyMcAwesome
Lazyguy9000
Mavum

AndersW
dthmnky42
Arcshod
ParadoxFaith
deadbutruning
dooby2016

Semysane
DistaffPope
Shader
Zero Moment
The Whiskey Spirit
TerranceJet

Cerolas
ChaoticLightning
Starknight619
Out of Place
vinilscratchedmynose
ersmiller

Asheram
Timuri
Long Jump
ConceitedDeception
TacoTown
Hewolf

FaisLittleWhiteRaven
invelios
Raydner
Mystery Alabaster
billymorph
Three-star Night

Knight_of_Alpha
kyubbiman
SirDude
NotASheriff
k8mcaleer
AppleTank

Isador
Adin Terim
fatescanner
WaitYAmIHere
Irenicus
CharonX

MaruTheWonderbolt
glowarmy
Angelo_Streak2
Renegade
Bugsydor
Tiran

King Chopper
Xaratos
knower
Bronze Aegis
Joural
Winda

Mugen Kagemaru
Mane 6 Pets
MyHobby
TankenStein_PhD
Wellwater
Gargon94

evafan005
TheAuthor
APonyReadingFanfics
Cobalt_Blitz
Lightwind
Commander_C22

celtcath74
McDT2
AlouetteSK
Jorlem
shardfff
randomdawning

Alphaetus_Prime
kamikaz91
Iampertus
DragonFireRider
Halloloth
Bliztkrieg

Atheneum
Hikikamori
whyudothis
huntar21
Llyander
ironwolf

Alkali
OfficerSquidman
LuckyBlood
xoid
firefeng
Foxfax

MortuusSum
mavikfelna
Parchment_Scroll
skeletonminion
Web of Hope
Midnight Rook

Doom1
True Blue Pegasus
Parchment_Scroll
Hadjii
Hatter
The Mechanic

Narada
GGFGGH
Kitcat36
undead_rattler
Mauletar
Fate Trait

silent-judge
writer
Techdisk42
Blue Wolf
Faded Star
lilbobschicago

Liqwidice
DragonFireRider
kalebon
Barox
lunarclipse
KeePony

DoomMantra
OnePonyToRuleThemAll
Rune Dancer
battlerjkl
Domzory
Demose

lebowski42
Zer0prototype
Suddenly Hats
brohoof envy
Stormcaller
Forward Unto Dawn

mj0485
Nealend86
Scruffy
Sirflysalot
Jack_mahoff
Harmony Ex Machina

MeadowRosePony
Dramon Creator
Saxthulu
Durnstaros
darkbrony711
Supergumgum

Thunder Quill
CunningUseOfFlags
BladeSingerXIV
Zapdroid
The Servant Archer
Madd the Sane

DraskDraco
Himself000
thewriter133
Starcat5
acolyte62
TeslaCoilX

Coolmrfreeze
thefirewarde
LurkingPony
Ayazuchi
thewriter133
admallregain

Quakeponi
Hawattie
Fisher28000000
GarudaPhoenix
chocolatephone
Dreamfinder

Brony4726
The Twisted Shadow
emp_zealoth
PaxBellorum
Silentwoodfire
TheStratovarian

Kirishala
HawkCE45
airkiller100
SIGAWESOME
Phonixguard
Chessie

CAST AND CREDITS:

The Dusk Rogues

Blade Sunchaser—Fierce and dedicated, wandering claw, red-feathered griffon warrior. Leader of the Dusk Rogues.

Hain—Stoic and silent exile of the Griffon Empire. Tactical genius.

Frost Glimmer—Dangerous and cold ex-pirate unicorn with a skill for creating icy sculpture.

Alchemy—Skilled, earth pony potions crafter who also possesses abnormal powers and abilities.

Barnabas—Deceased. Adopted older brother of Frost. A minotaur with a mighty stature … but a larger heart.

The Inter-city Council of the Ocean

Chancellor Titus—Former pirate captain-turned political leader. A mighty minotaur with hundreds of skirmishes behind her … not all of them martial.

Fleet Admiral Arcwing—Former Patriarch of the Teardrop Eyrie. Now commanding Admiral of the Ocean of Endless Ice.

Friends, Family and Associates

Aeliana—Deceased. Older sister of Barnabas and Frost. Died fighting for the peace she wanted so badly.

Kalos Arcrider—Son of Fleet Admiral Arcwing. Captain of The Seeker.

Merry and Pippin—Twin unicorns who live in Cragtooth. Though bereft of their horns, though that doesn’t stop them from getting themselves—or one another—into constant trouble when not on duty.

Captain Skylark—Captain of the airship Free Skies. Hails from the southeastern part of the Empire.

Captain Moonlit Wings—Captain of the ice dredger vessel The Long Night. Later joined the the Council Fleet and retrofitted her vessel to help hunt down Bloodhooves.

Bloodhooves

Captain Pyre—Leader of the Bloodhooves and completely obsessed with fire.

Ennuis—A low-level minotaur captain whose mouth is always competing with his ego to be the largest—and most memorable—part of him.

The Order of the Red Horn

Lord Sagis—Ruler of the Order and a powerful unicorn mage who values power above all else.

Tripwire—Leader of the shadows and infamous assassin.

Cell—An amoral unicorn scientist who believes in the pursuit of knowledge over all other things.

Subtle Eye—One of the Order’s most dedicated deep-cover spies.

The Lost City Expedition

Dusty Tomes—Archeologist earth pony and one of the leaders of the Lost City Expedition. Married to Stal.

Stal Wildwind—Archeologist griffon and one of the leaders of the Lost City Expedition. Married to Dusty.

Slate—Grey diamond dog serving as an earthmover for the expedition. Took over after her cousin Coal had to depart unexpectedly.

The Immortals

Anubis—Immortal charged with watching over the jackals and teaching mortals of the afterlife. Fashioned himself into a ruler of the dead after The Breaking. Skilled at creating ethereal circuits, known for his cunning.

Celestia—One of two immortal siblings charged with watching over ponykind, and personally tasked with controlling the movements of the sun. Fought against her fellow immortals during The Breaking in honor of the Creator’s wishes. Current Diarch of Equestria.

Luna—Second of the two immortals tasked with watching over ponykind, and personally responsible for the movements of the moon and tides. Also monitors dreams. Fought alongside her sister against her fellow immortals during The Breaking. Also infamously became Nightmare Moon. Current Diarch of Equestria.

Ahuizotl—An almost comical immortal with a supreme knowledge of natural fauna. Stayed neutral during The Breaking and has become an almost comical villain in the centuries since then—though how serious he is about it no one can say. Some theorize that The Breaking may have played some part in this.

Itzpapalotl—Immortal responsible for the virtues of Justice, Mercy, and Love. One of the most dangerous, murderous, and ruthless following The Breaking. Slain with great regret by Celestia and Luna.

Reus—One of two immortal siblings charged with watching over griffon-kind. Controller of winds, and ruler of the skies. Was the first to decide that the Creator was not returning and break from his assigned task. Later underwent a change of heart but vanished.

Kyr—Second of the two immortal brothers charged with protecting and guiding griffon-kind. Controller of storms and ruler of the skies. Fought in honor of the Creator during The Breaking. Vanished not long after his brother disappeared. Current whereabouts and status unknown.

Asterion—Guardian of the minotaurs with the ability to sense and manipulate deep-earth metals. She died during the breaking.

Zawati—Guardian of Zebra-kind responsible for the virtues of peace and knowledge. Slain by Itzpapalotl shortly after The Breaking.

Er-Error-ror:NOT A COMPLETE LIST
FILE TERMINATED

Unknown

The Violet Heart—???

CHARACTER THEMES

In Memoriam - Frost and Barnabas
Solace
Halo 4 Original Soundtrack Vol. 1

OTHER MUSIC

Fyrestone
Lynchwood
Borderlands 2 Original Soundtrack

Once more I offer a special thanks to all those who have read and love The Dusk Guard Saga. Thank you for all your patience, enjoyment, and your praise. It’s been an amazing journey so far, but there’s still a long road to go, and I look forward to sharing that journey with you. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing all of you again for the next adventure.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned and licensed by Hasbro Entertainment. Neither The Dusk Guard Saga nor its writer are affiliated with Hasbro in any way, nor does it lay any claim to the original characters or setting pioneered by Hasbro Entertainment. The characters created herein that are original to this fiction are hereby acknowledged as awesome, and totally the by-product of some amazing thoughts. No part of this work is for profit, and it cannot be resold, as it is a straight fan-work for the entertainment of those who peruse it.

The Dusk Rogues will return ...

PreviousChapters Next