• Published 26th May 2015
  • 3,616 Views, 77 Comments

Their New Life In Equestria - HAZESHIFT



The first day of the new school year at Canterlot high and although every new pony looks to make an impression , eight new Freshmen most likely will in a very big way.

  • ...
9
 77
 3,616

Chapter 2: Getting to know you

Chapter 2:Getting to know you

Gaia had heard about the auditorium from his parents, he asked about it specifically when they were filling him in on the school. The school itself had been commissioned by all four princesses a little before he was born. The princesses, with much research and presentation form Princess Twilight had come to the conclusion that Equestria’s education system was lacking. Sure there were institutions like Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns and the up and coming Crystal Academy in the Crystal Empire. And the group of teachers teaching the young foal so far in the kingdom had done a great job but there was a feeling that there could be more done. The four came up with a plan and after “convincing” the nobles “found” a good chunk of space in Canterlot to build a school. It was also decided that this school would be open to more than just ponies. The other races that lived outside their own country while small in number compared to the ponies also desired to learn and to have their children learn, but for most the expense of travel back to their homelands was too great. So it was made that the new school would accept students of any race as long as they could pass an acceptable level of knowledge to the young ponies getting out of primary school.

While on the outside it looked uniform, it was much different on the inside. The princesses had divided up the school into four and each of their parts was dedicated to their favored area. Princess Twilight as most guessed had dedicated hers to the sciences, Princess Cadence dedicated hers to studies like History, Literature, and Grammar and such. Princess Luna dedicated her’s to the arts; painting, music, and performance. She had become a huge fan of these things since her return seeing as how many took place during her night. While in a more surprising turn Celestia went and dedicated her section of the school to Athletics and such things. Unbeknownst to most ponies and creatures, Celestia was a bit of a battle fanatic. She enjoyed the peace that she had been able to keep for her little ponies but so much peace could be bad for the body especially when added to the massive amounts of sweets that she could eat on a daily basis. Even though there were few opponents left who could give her a challenge she enjoyed a good fight every now and again. These four sections made up the bulk of the school, each section having enough room to house the student body that used the grounds for various activities, clubs and teams.

Gaia remembered this while he looked at the room he was in. Princess Luna had named it The Setting Sun And Rising Moon Theater, and to that had set out to make it thematically appropriate.. While the lights were on it was easy to tell why because the architecture and decoration made the room look like you were standing on a gentle sloping hill watching the sun below the horizon. The setting of the sun was where the stage was, it’s brightness lit up that end of the room, but Gaia had been told that when the lights went off the Sun turned into a rising moon and the gentle hue of sunlight on the ceiling turned into a beautiful array of stars and other different celestial bodies.

As much as Gaia wanted to just keep marveling at the room he was brought out of his wonderment by a small nudge from G who when looked at motioned to where other students seemed to be. Both of them walked over to where everyone was trying to find a good seat and a seat big enough for G to sit in. Thankfully the theater seats had been made to accommodate beings larger than ponies. And both of them found a seat right next to each other in the front row.

“Well so far so good G,” Gaia said as he shuffled around trying to get comfortable and when he finally did he looked into his saddlebags trying to find what he would need for his class. But his search was interrupted by a couple of pokes to his side, and when he withdrew his head from his bag and looked up he came face to face with a somewhat familiar face.

It was the filly he had run into in the front quad of the school, except now it was a bit of a reversal of a position seeing as she was standing over him though not by much.

Gaia opened his mouth to try and say something but couldn’t find any words and just sat there with his mouth open staring at the filly.

“Uh...uh,” were the only sounds he could get out while trying to come up with something to say all the while the filly stood there giving him an unimpressed look.

“Get on with it!” G shouted startling the two who looked around and noticed that the attention was drawn to them.

“Aheh huh…” Gaia chuckled taking a quick look at the scene he was causing before bringing his attention back to the filly. “Ok, so where was I? Oh yes, ah… You’re the pony I bumped into earlier outside,” he began trying not to seem nervous. “Well I never got to fully apologize. So...i’m sorry I bumped into you and knocked you down, I was just being a bit off a…” he paused trying to think of an appropriate word.

“Clown,” G interrupted again while reading the book he had been looking at since getting of the train this morning.

“Yeah clown...wait a second,” Gaia said happily and then did a double take towards his best friend.

“Well that’s very nice and all but I’m actually here because you are sitting in my seat. Would you mind moving please?” She finally spoke to him grabbing Gaia’s attention.

“What? Oh yeah sure my mistake, no problem,” He said scrambling a little bit to get to his hooves and out of the chair without making himself look like an idiot. As he did the filly slowly yet gracefully took her place in the seat only sparing the dragon sitting next to her a curious glance before turning to her school bags. As she did she glanced up to see Gaia still standing in front of her his eyes moving from the rest of the room to her and then away again like he was in thought and waiting for something.

“Can I help you?” she asked wondering what this colt could be doing.

“Ah well I apologized and introduce myself,” he said trying his best not to infer to hard and make the filly upset, it was his first day of highschool and he would really love to start off with a good impression.

The filly’s gaze deadpanned slightly as she figured out exactly what the colt wanted. “Yes you did and that was very nice of you," she gave the smallest of smiles before returning to her bag, noticing out of the corner of her vision that the colt either hadn’t taken the hint or was oblivious to it.

“Ah so…,” Gaia started to say but couldn’t find the appropriate words.

“Just so you know, he’s trying to find the right way to ask you why you haven’t introduced yourself without being too blunt and sounding stupid,” G interrupted his friend and told the filly sitting next to him looking down at her as she made eye contact with him while Gaia stared at his friend his mouth open in shock.

As he looked down at the filly G noticed the look she was giving him.”I know it might be rude to interrupt your little game of etiquette chess here but he was never going to do it, so either go on and introduce yourself or tell him why you aren’t,” he told her and say the tiniest bit of a blush creep on her cheeks before she quickly turned her attention back to Gaia.

“Ahem, well then, Gaia was it?” she paused after asking so he could nod. “I do find it nice that you did apologize and introduce yourself, and you are correct that normally in situations like these I would introduce myself next,” she said putting on a coy smile as the colt stood there with a slight smile on his face. “But i’m still not sure if i’ve accepted your apology or not so i’m afraid that I’ll be withholding that information for now until i’ve forgiven-”

“Her name’s Erina,” G interrupted again this time shocking the filly more than Gaia. She looked up at the dragon her face a mixture of anger, disbelief, and embarrassment.

“Wha? How could you? How did you?” she kept spluttering out half questions as the dragon smirked down at her.

“It’s on the chair,” he pointed a claw behind her and both her and Gaia looked to see that on a little metal placard on the back of the seat was the name Erina.

“Oh, will you look at that,” Erina whipped around her blush a bit more fierce than before. “Looks like you weren’t kidding that it was your seat. Sorry for that...and for earlier outside Erina,” Gaia managed to say before the bell went off. “Well looks like I better find a seat, G is there an empty one next to you?” he asked and was glad when the dragon gave him an affirmative nod. As he walked across his friend Erina spoke up.

“Don’t think that this means that I’ve forgiven you yet!” she somewhat shouted causing Gaia to stop as he put his bags into the chair. He turned around with a somewhat blank stare and looked at the filly who seemed to realize what she just said and was sporting a mixture of bravery and embarrassment on her face.

“Well I guess I’ll have to work on that later,” he said before hopping into his chair as a pony walked onto the stage.

“Now now everyone settle down!” An older unicorn stallion walked out looking down at a clip board that hovered in his magic grip. “Hello and welcome to the beginning of a new school year, if you’re here in this theatre then you have attempted to enter the schools selective music program,” he moved across the stage staring at the clipboard as he talked like he was reading something pre-written. As he got more into it and he finally looked at the students. “To those of you coming back it is good to see you and you already know me. For those of you that don’t, I am Professor Juilliard and-” the stallion stopped in his tracks when his eyes came upon the dragon sitting in the front row.

“Oh boy here we go,” G muttered to himself.

“Well now I have to say that is a surprise. You sir in the front row I must say that I have taught many different creatures; ponies, zebras, changelings but i have not had the pleasure of having the dragon as a student. How may I address you,” he said walking to the edge of stage and coming about eye level with G.

“Parents call me Junior, friends call me G, let's go with that it’s easier,” G gave a little shrug as he talked, The teacher probably had his full name written down on a sheet on his clipboard, but G just prefered to be called what his friends called him.

“Well that sounds fine, I hope your audition goes well,” he said before turning his attention back to everyone else. “And I hope for the same for all of our new prospective students. As you know to officially become part of this class you must pass an audition. Originally when the program started out every individual applicant would have to do a solo performance and I along with some other judges would determine if they were good enough. But this year the auditions are going to change. At the end of last year our top student came and proposed some changes and after talking it over with the staff and even princess Luna herself we have changed the format of the auditions. And to tell you how it will be done from now on I will have her come up here to explain,” he looked down again right next to where the dragon was and looked at Erina who nodded and gracefully got out of her seat and made her way to the stage’s stairs.

Gaia watched as she ascended to the stage and he felt like he probably wasn’t the only one doing it. She had a presence to her like she wanted to be seen onstage and perform. “Good morning everyone my name is Erina Lulamoon, I am a sophomore and this is my second year in the program. After my first I discussed with the professor that I believed that the program was lacking in certain departments. While we did emphasize on singular performances there was a lack of cooperation and group performances. So with Princess Luna’s permission there was a complete overhaul of the music program here at Canterlot High. We now strive to help students who pass the audition in a variety of fields like orchestral pieces, group band music and musical theatre pieces. This extends to the audition process as well. For all new first years applying you used to have to do a solo audition whether using an instrument or singing. But now you may team up with any number of students that you wish to decide on a performance. Since this is the first you are hearing of the new rules we have also decided that the first day of class will go towards allowing you to decide what your performance will be and if you decide to team up with anypony-” she stopped mid sentence to take a quick look at G and notice his raised eyebrow. “Or any dragon,” she corrected the end of her statement. “The rest of the class period is free time to make you decisions and talk with your classmates. Once you have made your decision please come up and the professor will write down the names for the audition tomorrow.” She finished her little prepared speech with a smile and received some applause as she walked off the stage and returned to her seat next to G.

After her little presentation all of the first years ponies soon began to get up from their seats and venture around seeing if they knew anyone or if anyone wanted to collaborate and had a clear idea to use.

“Lulamoon... why does that sound so familiar?” Gaia pondered from his seat while G was busy writing down ideas for them.

“I really don’t think this is the best use of our time. Do you think there’s any good drummers here?” he asked barely paying attention to his friend who intermittently was looking around him to quizzically peek at the filly on his other side.

“I could of swore that I’ve heard mom or dad mention it,” Gaia leaned back in his chair covering his face with his hooves in some kind of contemplation.

“Well well look at this,” a voice spoke out that Gaia recognized in his contemplative state. “If it isn’t Gaia; probably worrying about some problem which he can leave for later so he can focus on the task at hand. And G the silent brooding intelligent dragon picking up the pieces his friend keeps dropping,” Gaia uncovered his face to come face to face with a pony he knew very well.

“SHADY GROVE!” Gaia basically lept of out his seat and lifted the colt in front of him in a hug, much to the surprise and alarm of Erina who was broken out of her quiet contemplation by the shouting. “How have ya been? How long has it been? Where did you go?” Gaia rattled of a list of questions as he set his friend down.

“Well in order. Good, only about a month since it was a vacation, and to Seaddle for vacation,” Shade stretched himself out after a crushing hug from his friend. “Yeah I got back like yesterday but I was just too bushed to do anything else and I just crashed on my bed and almost missed the train this morning,” he told them as he gave G a quick hoof bump before making eye contact with Erina who gave him a nonplussed look before returning to her book.

“Oh and this is-” Gaia started to introduce Erina before Shade cut him off.

“Erina Lulamoon, I heard her from the stage dude,” he said watching as Erina gave Gaia a slight stare which Gaia missed.” Uh oh, seems like she’s mad at you. What did you do?””

“He bumped into her and knocked her down outside the entrance,” G told him as Shade kept doing a double take between Erina and Gaia.

“Gaia...it’s our first day of high school dude,” Shade gave Gaia a somewhat disappointed look.

“It was an accident! I was walking backwards talking to everybody, and I turned around and she was there and I couldn’t stop myself and then BAM!...wait no that’s not the correct sound effect it was more like a...’pomf’...anyway that’s besides the point. And I apologized!” Gaia told his friend trying to dig himself out of an imaginary hole.

“Well then what is this weird negative energy between you two” Shade motioned to the two ponies and Gaia gave a bit of a shrug before G spoke up.

“He did apologize but she hasn’t yet decided if she going to accept his apology and forgive him,”

“Oh ok well then...Um miss Erina?” Shade broke away from his two friends to speak to the filly still sitting patiently next to them while they had their conversation.

“Yes? Oh and no need for miss just Erina is fine,” she gave a polite smile as she put down her book.

“Well I’ve been here...all of thirty minutes, just caught up with two of my friends and have gotten a short read on the situation. And if you wouldn’t mind I’d like to give you some advice,” Shade tried to find an easy way to broach the subject as he watched Erina’s smile slowly turn into a frown. “I know you don’t know him real well but I think you should forgive him. First off he’s a good guy, he might stick his hoof in his mouth sometimes but he means well. I’m not sure how much you know about him, I’m assuming very little but I think that if you forgive him it might save you some trouble down the road...not bad trouble mind you just...different,” he gave a shrug when he said “different” which puzzled Erina.

“Shade…” Gaia somewhat growled at his friend who decided it was time to stop and chuckled at his friend as he moved closer to G just in case he needed protection.”That’s enough, if she forgives me she forgives me that’s all. Now I’m assuming you want to join me and G for the audition? was having trouble thinking of a song until you showed up,” he said as he started walking to the stage with his two friends leaving a confused Erina still puzzling over Shade’s words.

“Do you remember that one song we tried with the…”Gaia’s words died out the farther he got as he went to go present his group to the professor but as he walked away Erina stared at him puzzled. Who could this new colt be? He was friends with a dragon and an alicorn from what she knew so something had to be different about him but she couldn’t come up with anything substantial. She thought about it until the period ended and all the ponies filed out of the room after putting their information down for their auditions.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After their first period Gaia and G went to their next class which they breezed through before the bell rang and they headed to the gym. They met up with Apple Core in the locker room and put their stuff into lockers before heading out and met up with the girls.

His sister jumped him with a hug which caused many eyes to stare. He laughed it off and once he got down he listened to how his sister’s and friend’s classes had gone. After a couple of minutes he started to wonder where the gym teacher was.

“Huh shouldn’t the teacher have been here by now?”

“Well I think they just hired a new teacher this year since the old one retired. At least that’s what I heard,” Ember said casually from where they were sitting looking around and occasionally giving a colt a wink when she thought they were cute, she loved to see them blush.

“I heard the same thing!” Doppler bounced around the group eager to exercise. “I also heard that the new gym teacher a really toughie and has super strength!”

“Super strength? Are you sure you heard that right?” Chroma kept rotating her head to keep up with Doppler.

“Well either that or she super strong...I don’t know? Maybe we can test her out by seeing if she can lift G!” She stopped just long enough to point at the dragon before resuming bouncing.

“Eh heh ha no” he gave a weak chuckle at the joke. he didn’t like to be picked up a lot now that he was taller.

“I heard some things as well,” Core said as he got up to stretch his legs. “First I heard that our new teacher is a mare. and second I heard that she’s related to a pony in one of the strongest squads in the Royal Guard,” he said and watched as his friends looked at each other. But before any of them could speak up there was a loud noise outside one of the gym entrances..

Most ponies jumped in surprise and backed up when another noise sounded off and something hit the door. Gaia and his friends stood there ground waiting to see what would happen as something hit the door again. There was a pause and then with a thunderous crack the door flew off and hit the far wall. Most ponie looked in shock to see a mare standing in the doorway basking in the light coming in..

“Huh thought I left that open...oh well I’ll fix it later,” she walked in smiling at the the surprised shock on all the young ponies faces. Her curly scarlet hair bouncing and creating a contrast against her light golden beige coat. As she walked in many ponies noticed that her tail was different being more like a cat’s than a pony’s, and on the end of it was what appeared to be a cubed chunk of metal with some kind of weird designs on it.

“Hey that sounds like? Is that?” Doppler squinted to see the pony through light coming in through the doorway. “IT IS!!!” she said before she galloped up to the pony and jumped at her. “AUNTY HAMMER FALL!!!”

Author's Note:

I'M BACK EVERYBODY MISS ME!!!...AND OR THIS FIC!!!?

yeah so like i said earlier in a blog i was in Vietnam for a month visiting my father and while i certainly did have time to write...i kinda did more of the look around a foreign country thing and was tired after word so much didn't get done....

but anyways after a week of getting over jet lag i got back to writing and now BAM!!! here's a new chapter for you to enjoy...oh and if you're that one guy who wouldn't levave well enough alone with why a High school is now in Canterlot....ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!?!?!?!

Also five points if you can point out the movie the titles line comes from...hint hint...it's a musical...you know cause music class?

anyways...great to be able to post this again, hopefully my editors caught my stuff liek they say they did win wink nudge nudge

also still looking for an artist to take a comission for drawing me some ponies...so if anyone knows someone tell em to message me if they are interested

see yall next chapter it's gonna get fun from here on out!!!! if i'm right next one should be bigger

PEACE OUT YALL NEXT TIME!!!