• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,500 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,500

Found

Once more Discord found the god of thunder standing at the very peak of the highest mountain in Equestria, gazing across the land as the sunrise basked the nation in warmth and light. The cold breeze tugged at Thor's cape, yet the chill did not bother the god of thunder. Yet Discord could tell that Thor was troubled. Though Thor did his best to hide it, the way Thor stared at the land, not looked upon it, told Discord all he needed to know.

"So what's the matter with you, big guy?" Discord asked as he floated next to Thor, who did not break his gaze away from the land to give Discord so much as a glance. "Is it the whole being imprisoned in a mirror thing? Cause trust me, I was imprisoned in stone for a thousand years and I know how boring that can be."

"Nay, Discord. It is not that, though my blood does still boil at the thought of Thor being made another's prisoner. What has my concern...is that I fear I have been a poor god of this land," Thor admitted to Discord, who raised an eyebrow at Thor's words before smirking.

"Poor? Thor, you've saved us all so many times. The titans, the other gods and countless other threats that only you and I know of. You've been a great help," Discord told Thor, but even with the kind words Thor simply shook his head and resumed his vigil.

"Aye, those have been the works of a great hero. Of an Avenger. But not those of a god. Not those of a being that will be watching over your nation come an eternity from now," Thor replied, finally breaking his gaze and turning to look at Discord. "I never planned to be a permanent god here. At most, I would stay for a year or until your land was ready to live without me. But now I see that this land needs a permanent god. Needs a divine being that will always be there for them. A being that I am not."

"At first I was all too happy to be your nation's deity, but now, with hindsight, I should have instead been their hero. In my efforts to make sure that your land would suffer no threat in the short time I was here, I dealt with problems to fit around my brief time here. Slaying Toraxo and defeating Shelor have only damaged the frail bonds of this world, all because I chose a swift solution to the problem at hand. And because of it the dragons fear the ponies more than ever and the changelings are on the verge of having their land destroyed by natural disasters, without a god to aid them. But a god that would stay in this land, one that would watch over these ponies, would have looked for solutions that would benefited all. Would have chosen a path that would keep them safe for as long as possible. That is where I have failed as your nations god."

"Come on, don't be like that. You did it with the best of intentions and the other gods were going to be a problem anyway. Did ya here that the zebra's aren't in any hurry to get their goddess free? Shows how much of a good impression she made on them," Discord informed Thor with a smirk, but Thor was no longer listening to Discord. He had gone back to staring at the land, but Discord knew he wasn't really looking at the land.

"Celestia is right about me. I have always had issues with being a ruler. Be it on a throne or as a god above all," Thor admitted to Discord. "I am poised to take my fathers place when he passes, but I know I cannot be the wise ruler he is. I am the chosen god of Midgar, but sometimes I fear my divine actions cause more harm than good. I have always been one to strike first and ask questions later. I am not one to sit down and talk things out. That is my flaw, if you will."

Thor sat down after saying his peace, kicking up the powder snow around him. But instead of being blown away by the wind, the snow floated around Thor, almost as if he willed it. Discord snapped his fingers and summoned a lawn chair for himself, which he then sat down in before crossing his arms behind his head and watching the sun rise.

"There are worse flaws to have. Take the other gods of this land. All of their flaws are that they are arrogant beyond belief and they have no care for those that live under their protection. You could have been like them," Discord tried to comfort Thor, but all his words did was get Thor to smirk.

"You should have met me when I was young. My younger self would make you pray for those very divine that you so casually speak of," Thor informed Discord, who couldn't believe that there was a time when Thor was worse than the other gods that he had known. "It took a lot of time and a lot of beatings before I finally realized the error of my ways. And even now, I still have my moments."

"It's scary thinking that there are beings out there that can beat you," Discord said as he took a sip of an orange drink through a bendy straw. "But something even scarier would have been if Rose had done what she wanted to and destroyed Equestria. You helped to stop that."

"Please, it was Celestia that put an end to Rose's evil schemes, with some assistance from you of course," Thor replied.

"All I did was get beat up while Celestia freed you, using your hammer I might add," Discord added, getting a smirk to cross Thor's face. "Apparently she didn't know that you had to be worthy to wield it. You didn't tell her?"

"She proved she was worthy before I had the opportunity to. I felt no need to inform her of information that would have made no difference," Thor replied, before giving Discord a knowing smile. "But she is not the only one that proved her worthiness. While trapped within the mirror I could still hear what was going on. I heard Celestia's cry for help, one that I could not answer. And yet you did."

"Yeah, well...I just happened to be passing by and I really liked the décor in Ponyville, so of course I wasn't going to let Rose ruin all of my favorite places to visit," Discord replied in a bored tone, but when he glanced over at Thor he found the god of thunder giving him a knowing look. "I know what you're going to say, but I'm not that kind of god. I can't be..."

"Me? Discord, if I have proved anything to you with my actions it is that you should not be me. You should be the god that this nations needs," Thor said. "And you have proved that you are more than worthy enough to be god of this land. The ponies have done nothing but sing your praises since you stood before Rose. Even Celestia looks at you with different eyes now."

"Really? She does?" Discord asked before he got his mind back on track. "It's not that I don't like the praise, Thor. Believe me, every chance I have to inflate my ego I take it. But...I can't handle the pressure. The pressure of having to make a call. A call that can make the difference between life and death. I can't make those kind of choices."

"You already have," Thor corrected for Discord, who looked at Thor with a surprised look on his face. "Celestia would have perished if not for you. The ponies of Equestria would have all fallen to Rose had you not chosen to answer Celestia's prayer. You have already made that choice, Discord. You have shown who you really are. And who you really are is the kind of divine that should be the one to replace me."

"Replace you? Does that mean that you plan to step down?" Discord asked.

"It is time. Recent events have shown me that I was never meant to be the god of this land. Even after being alive for thousands of years, I still can be so blind at times," Thor admitted with a laugh. "So tomorrow I plan to tell the nation that I will no longer be their god. I have heard enough of their prayers to know that they will be overjoyed to hear my decision. Then, after I make sure things are all stabilized again, I will return to my own world."

"...I knew this day would come, but I'm still sad to hear it. You think that this place will be fine without you? I mean, you did kind of paint this huge target on Equestria. The only reason nopony has taken a shot yet it because they're all terrified of you."

"I believe it will work out. Omnipotence is not one of my divine abilities, but I have a feeling that things will work themselves out before I leave," Thor replied with a smile as he rose up from the ground, allowing the snow that had been floating around him to fall to the mountain top. "Now come. I wish to make amends for my wrath and try to restore as much peace as I am able. Then I shall bother you no more."

Discord was about to reply to Thor's comment, but at that moment the princess of the sun came flying down towards the both of them at a speed which instantly caused some concern. She landed hard on the mountaintop and staggered for a moment, only to force herself to remain standing before she ran to Thor.

"Thor! We've found it!" she said to him in an excited voice. Both Thor and Discord's eyes widened in disbelief at her words, the two instantly knowing what she was talking about. "Twilight found it just the other day. She had been on her way to tell me before Rose attacked. She says that pony of shadows helped her to find it, in a place I would never think to look. She's been recovering since the incident, as have the rest of the Ambassadors, but now they are ready to help us get to the altar!"

"Heh, so he did uphold his agreement," Discord whispered so that none could hear. "Then I say there is no time to lose," Discord then said to Thor, who nodded his head in agreement. "Whoever is in control of the shadow monsters will be after this altar as well and if we could find it, I guarantee that they have as well. But this sounds like it will be a tricky task. We could really use a god of thunder on our side."

Thor gave Discord a look, one that told Discord that Thor wasn't sure what the god of chaos was planning or what he spoke of. Thor then cast a glance to Celestia, who was looking up at him with expectant eyes. Thor sighed and glanced down at the hammer that he had clutched within his grasp. When he laid eyes on the hammer, the sound of thunder rumbled in agreement.

"You too, old friend? Very well then, Thor shall accompany you on one last adventure. It is the least I can do."

{[()]}

"They have found the altar, lord," a being of shadow said to their master as he knelt down at the foot of a throne made of steel and bone. Despite the beings having been formed from shadow itself, they still felt themselves go cold at the sight of the colossal throne. A throne that was far colder than when their previous master had sat in it. The master of the beasts sat atop the throne, his whole visage masked by a dark cloak. "And we have also learned that Thor will be going with them to altar of Faust."

"Excellent. And the ponies of the land no longer trust him?"

"No sire. You're two-faced ability has made them fear him when once they cheered him. All he sees now is their fear and does not understand why," the beast replied. "However, the princesses are still on his side. And they have nearly found the altar. What is the next move?"

"The time is at hoof. Our first order is to take the book from those foolish horses to ensure that they don't accidentally use it to appoint one of their own weaklings to the position of deity," a dark voice spoke from beneath a hood, while four pairs of eyes could been seen glaring in the darkness. "And once the book is in our possession, we shall use it to crown a new deity in Equis. Not one that is a simply a god, but a being that rules over all. One that cannot be bested by a god alone. Now go."

The shadow being bowed his head and fled the room, leaving the master of the beasts to think about his next move. He knew that his victory was certain, for it had been planned for so long by more than an single brilliant mind, but there was always a chance of failure. That he had learned from his long life. So there had to be a backup plan. Insurance. To ensure the death of the god of thunder.

"Being on high, can you hear me?" the lord of darkness asked into the void of blackness, knowing that it was a long shot to find such a being twice. He had stumbled upon the being once before, on accident, but he would never forget the power and age that he had been met with. A power that dwarfed Thor's. For hours he sat and waited, waiting for the voice to answer him. And just when he thought that he would get no answer, he heard the voice speak.

'What do you want with me?'

"Almighty force, I ask for your aid. I ask that in my hour of need you come to me and strike down those that dare to oppose me," the dark master asked into the void, not knowing what the beings response would be. For ten minutes the voice did not answer, but then spoke once more.

'I shall aid you in striking down those that plague you. But there is something that I require...that I need in return.'

"Anything. Just name it."