• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,545 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,545

Fever

The sun was red on the mountains off in the distance, casting an orange light over all that fell under its rays. The sounds of laughter and excitement filled the air as a group of foals played with a soccer ball in the middle of a small field, kicking it back and forth to one another while laughing happily. And if any of the foals were to look up at the hillside to the left of the field, they would see the strange sight of two gods sitting with a princess, while one of the gods ate a massive thing of ice cream.

"Another day, another waste," Thor said more to himself than the others, sighing in discontent before he scooped out another pound of ice cream from the tub and wolfed it down. "I have scoured the lands from the Crystal Empire to the southern seas, yet I have found nothing that would aid me in learning the location of this master."

"You talk about your failings Thor, but at least you are not having issues with the other gods of the land," Celestia said with a sigh as she leaned back and stared up at the clouds rolling overhead. "I have heard word that the other gods have been showing up more and more in my nation. My sister and I have been trying to keep track of them and make sure they don't do anything, but they never listen to us...if they pay us any attention at all."

"Wow, sounds like the two of you have had it rough. Course, can't say I've ever had it any better," Discord muttered as he took a sip of his tea, flicking his finger and causing the foals soccer ball to bounce straight up into the air. "There were hundreds of those shadow beasts the other day. Today, there are none. I don't know how they managed to vanish so quickly, but damn it all they are gone."

"Aye, that is why Thor now fills that void of failure with the frozen dairy of this world," Thor replied as he tossed the tub of ice cream behind him, before opening his sixth cartoon and getting to work. "It is strange how similar and yet different the items of this world are. This cream of ice is far more natural than that of New York. Similar to the magic of your world, which is far purer than that of Earth."

"Pinkie give that to ya, huh?" Discord asked.

"Nay, it was a family of ponies that work at an ice cream store. I aided them when an avalanche nearly destroyed their home and they repaid me with a lifetime supply of the dessert," Thor said as he finished off his sixth tub with a large smile. "I do not believe they knew what they were getting into when they said lifetime, for my lifetime shall be far longer than theirs."

"Is that all it takes to get free food?" Discord asked with some interest as he poured tea from his cup into his kettle, making Thor raise an eyebrow at the destruction of physics. "Remind me to save more innocent more often if it gets me free things."

"Perhaps once you fully become the god you wish to be, those who are grateful to you will give you tributes simply for being such a kind being," Thor pointed out with a knowing smile, getting Discord to sigh as he leaned on his hand and caused the foals soccer ball to turn into a basketball.

"Look Thor, I'm grateful for you trying to bring out the best in me, but I don't think I'll ever be that kind of god," Discord admitted with a sigh of defeat, trying to ignore the looks that both Celestia and Thor were giving him. "I've been a monstrosity of chaos for over three thousand years now. I don't think I can be trusted with the title of god of Equestria...I don't think I could ever be worthy."

"There is an easy way to find out," Thor said as he picked up Mjolnir and offered the handle to Discord. Discord's eyes went wide as he stared down at the hammer, able to feel the power and might radiating from it. He swallowed hard and reached out to the hammer, his hand shaking as he did so. For a brief moment his hand was mere inches from the handle, before he snapped it back and turned his head away.

"I'm sorry Thor, but I know what I am. And worthy I am not," Discord said in a small whisper, getting the god of thunder to sigh while Celestia looked at the both of them with a confused expression.

"Very well Discord, it is your decision," Thor replied as he placed Mjolnir on the ground next to him, before opening his seventh tub of ice cream. "But back to what the princess of the sun was speaking of, we cannot wait for the master or the gods to make their next move. We all need to cover more ground at a faster speed. We need to divide these tasks among our resources."

"What do you suggest?" Celestia asked.

"We shall each tackle a different task instead of only dealing with them one at a time," Thor said as he turned towards Celestia. "Celestia, you and your allies shall be in charge with hunting down the location of the alter. If we can find it before the master can find the book, it shall give us the upperhand against him."

"But-"

"Discord, you shall continue to track any information that leads us to the master," Thor continued, getting Discord to raise an eyebrow. "It is clear that my power makes me far to easy to track, and unlike you I cannot instantly teleport to an area. The master will be able to sense my coming if I learn of his location. But you are crafty and a god of chaos. If any can get close to him without his knowledge, it will be thee."

"I suppose. But what of the shadow creatures? Are we going to try and capture another one of them?"

"Nay, they only serve to create destruction. They serve to cause misery and pain. Thor shall deal with them whenever they appear," Thor said as he lifted Mjolnir and stared down at the hammer, trusting that his oldest friend would not fail him.

"I never thought I would see the day that a god, a divine being that can do no wrong, would ask the aid of others for help in something," Discord said with a bit of a snarky voice, but to his surprise Thor laughed at Discord's words and rose to his feet with a smile.

"Aye. And if you had said that to me a thousand years ago I would have torn your head from your shoulders and used your body as a scarf," Thor said to Discord, whose eyes shrunk at the god of thunders words. "But it is truly incredible what even a god can learn in such a short time as a thousand years. And the god I am today is ashamed at the arrogant boy I used to be. Gods can change, Discord. Even ones that are created."

Discord sighed at Thor's words before he looked up at the darkening sky, frowning as he looked at his empty cup. "I should get back to Fluttershy. It's late and she gets jumpy at night when I'm not around. Thanks for the talk guys and Thor, I'll do my best...but don't expect too much change out of me. I'm not the one to be responsible."

"Neither was I, Discord. But then I changed."

Discord smirked at Thor's words before he vanished in a flash, leaving the god of thunder standing alone with the princess of the sun, both of them watching the group of foals race towards their village for the night. For a long time the two stood in silence, before Celestia glanced down at Mjolnir.

"Why did he not take the hammer?" Celestia asked Thor, who turned his gaze towards her before he hefted his hammer. "He gazed at it like it was judging him of every action he had ever committed. I have only seen that look in his eyes when he was afraid that Fluttershy would reject his friendship."

"Mjolnir...is a very good judge of character," Thor said to Celestia before shaking his head and giving her a look. "But you are not the only one that can read faces. It is clear that there is more that you wish to say to me. Go ahead, friend. Speak your mind."

"I know that you believe I can find the alter, but before you have made up your mind on the matter I wished to inform you of something," Celestia began with a hesitant tone. "I made a promise, the day I lost my sister and Faust did not come to aid me. I promised that if I ever located the alter, I would use the book and turn myself into a god, one that would never abandon Equestria. And I intend to keep that promise. So I just wanted to let you know, if we find it...I will try to become the replacement for Faust."

Celestia waited for some sort of anger or disapproval at her actions, but all Thor did was raise an eyebrow with a smile. "Is that all?"

"Is that all? I just told you to your face that I plan to replace you and you don't even care? You're not going to do anything if I try to become a goddess?"

"Celestia, if you become the goddess of Equestria, then Equis will finally have a goddess that I can trust," Thor said with a smile before patting her on the shoulder, before walking past her and starting to spin his hammer.

"You trust me? You'd trust me with the power of the gods? Why?" Celestia asked, getting Thor to stop spinning his hammer for a moment before he looked down at Mjolnir with a smile.

"As I said. Mjolnir is an excellent judge of what a person, or pony, holds within. You ask if I trust you? I would trust you to Hel's gates."

{([])}

"Checkmate again! That makes three for me!" Autumn said with a cry of happiness, while Princess Luna let out a sigh and rubbed her face against her hooves. At Thor's request, the princesses had taken Summer and Autumn into their castle and were keeping an eye on them, incase any evil forces tried to use them against the god of thunder. Celestia and Luna did not mind the both of them, as they both found Autumn an endless source of joy, but the both of them did make the princesses nervous. Already two gods had confronted the pair. Would the others do so as well?

"Well you win again, little Autumn. And I've got to admit, you pick up the rules quickly," Luna said good humoredly as she used her magic to place the pieces back on their spots, before glancing over at the filly with knowing eyes. "And while I would love nothing more than to continue to aid you in showing your incredible intelligence, it is time for you to go to bed. You can barely keep your eyes open."

"That's not true...I can totally keep going," Autumn replied in-between a large yawn, getting Luna to smile at the foals actions before she glanced over to see Summer Days walked over to the both of them. "Aw come on mom, not you too. I can totally stay up longer."

"Autumn, you are seven years old and already have experienced more in those seven years than most do in an entire lifetime," her mother chided the filly, who pouted before looking to the princess of the night for aid.

"Sorry little filly, but even the decrees of a princess cannot override the decisions of a mother," Luna replied with a smile, watching as Summer scooped Autumn onto her back and tried to get the struggling filly to calm down. "Sleep well, Autumn. And do not worry, I will make sure your dreams are pleasant."

Summer carried her daughter to the room they were borrowing, once again grateful for how kind the princesses had been for her and her daughter. 'Not only us, but everypony that has suffered at the hands of the titans. Our old home is almost completely rebuilt and hopefully we will be able to return there soon. Of course, that's if none of those other god assholes show up and decide to mess with us.'

"At least you've been a constant source of happiness in this whole mess," Summer whispered to her daughter as she placed the filly onto her bed, a smirk crossing Summer's face when she saw that her daughter was already fast asleep. Summer kissed Autumn gently on the forehead before exiting the room, needing to talk with Luna. "Honestly thought that you would never run out of energy."

Unbeknownst to Summer or even the princess of dreams, Autumn had a dream the likes of which she never had before. In it, she was surrounded by a blazing inferno, one that circled higher and higher around her, blazing into the sky with a plethora of colors. For a time, Autumn enjoyed the fire in her dream. But then all of the fire turned black and began to close in on the filly, who tried to call out for help. Her voice failed her.

The fire rushed her all at once, consuming her very form with the blaze. She felt herself getting hotter and hotter until it felt like she would burn away. Then a lunar light shine down upon her and the fire retreated, but the sensation of burning was still on the filly's mind, like a serpent of some kind that was slowly crawling up her body.

And the feeling was only getting hotter.

{([])}

"So, you've finally made your way back," a voice within the darkness said as a creature of shadow appeared in the center of a plain room, one that was created entirely of stone and shadows. The shadow creature bowed its head to the one that had spoke, even as it was unable to see his face due to the shadows that clung to him. "If I recall, the god of thunder had destroyed you. Normally when a god destroys something, they stay destroyed."

"I managed to escape into the shadows right before being annihilated, my lord. But at the cost of my legs," the beast replied in a raspy voice as it glanced down at its missing limbs with pain.

"But you have come back. You are the first to do so. Which means you know where the book is."

"Indeed. The princesses have it trapped in a secret library. One that only they, the god of thunder and Discord know about."

"Interesting. So that is where it was."

"Shall we strike now and retrieve the book, my lord?"

"No. Sadly some...chaotic events have come into play, events that have made it so that I can no longer act for my own self gain," the being replied with a shake of his head, but his eyes still glistened with interest. "But you all will continue to work. Just under a new master, a master who does not yet know the gift that I will give to him."

"Who is this master, my lord?"

"He is the one behind the titans that tried to ravage Equestria. He is the one that has caused so many issues for the ponies over the years. He will be your master, at least until I see fit. And do not worry. He's an old friend."

"Then what will you do?"

"I have been...giving an offer from an old friend of mine. I'd be foolish to pass up on it."