• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,477 Views, 231 Comments

The Elements Of Elements - Estee



Six Elements of Harmony. One hundred and eighteen Elements of the Periodic Table. Let's see who blinks first.

  • ...
9
 231
 7,477

Mr. Rich And The Barnyard Bargains Go Experience (Mr. Rich, Rarity)

"...so anypony trotting out between the enchanted rhodium poles will pay you instantly! The spell automatically scans the enscorcelled price tag we placed on the test items, then teleports that exact amount in bits out of their saddlebags and into your till box! You'll never have to pay another cashier again! Now admittedly, there is some degree of ongoing expense for fresh tags, but compared to actual salaries for ponies who do nothing more than shift bits..."

"It isn't going to work."

"Of course it works! I wouldn't have come to you as my first prospective customer if I didn't know it worked! I went through hundreds of tests in my workshop, so I know everything I've told you is true! And frankly, just between the two of us, you know you wouldn't have let me set up the test if some part of you didn't believe it worked..."

"I let you set it up because I want you to see why it won't work. I'm certain you understand the magic involved, and that the enchantments all function well enough for a trial gallop. But you spent an hour on that little sales presentation, and there wasn't a single second of your practiced speech which made me believe you understand the first thing about ponies."

"I understand that your savings from the first season alone should add up to --"

"-- see that unicorn mare approaching the entrance? Just watch..."

"Give me a moment, darling: as long as we happen to be passing by, I should really pick up some fresh gem polishing cloths -- oh, hello, Mr. Rich! Whatever is that strange little endcap display about? I see my cloths, but I fail to recognize the purpose of such a random-seeming assembly..."

"We're testing something, Rarity. Would you mind taking the package and trotting out?"

"...without paying?"

"You'll see."

"Very well... Here we go, then."

*five bits*

"Oh! I felt the weight vanish from my saddlebags! How very innovative! I will be sure to inform Twilight at the moment I see her. And off we go, I suppose -- oh, wait... my pardon and apologies, dear one, but now that I am in the proper place for memory to surface, I recall that our basket was somewhat lacking in napkins. Back in we go --"

*five bits*

"...what? Why are my saddlebags lighter still? Was I just charged twice? Well! I understand that there may be a degree of experimentation in progress, but to pay ten bits for basic polishing cloths...! I am something of a hurry, Mr. Rich, and so we will have to discuss this later, especially as I must now devote time to finding another source of napkins. But please understand that a discussion will be taking place. Goodbye."

*five bits*

"-- I... am sorry, Spike, but I believe I will have to delay my arrival at the picnic somewhat. I suddenly have a certain need to speak with the manager. Immediately. And as he happens to be right inside the doorway --"

*five bits*

"-- MR. RICH!"

"Give the lady her bits."

"...yes, sir."

"Then remove the poles."

"...yes, sir."

"Also, I happen to like having cashiers. Good luck in your future endeavors."

"I -- also had an idea for a customer loyalty program."

"Really?"

"They loyally pay two thousand bits a year and when you're having a sale on overstocked items which nopony has any real interest in buying, you let them into the store half an hour before anypony else."

"Get out."