• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,476 Views, 231 Comments

The Elements Of Elements - Estee



Six Elements of Harmony. One hundred and eighteen Elements of the Periodic Table. Let's see who blinks first.

  • ...
9
 231
 7,476

Inevitable (Applejack, Twilight)

Slowly, with exceptional care, Twilight's field lowered the slim gold rectangle onto Applejack's upturned left forehoof, then winked out.

"All right," the librarian cautiously said, then took a quick glance out the window at the heavily overcast sky before returning to her focus to the metal. "Now, according to the brochure, all you have to do is say the name of the periodical you want, and then either the page number or section. And since it would take at least a moon to get the one you want shipped... well, if you want to be the pony who gives it the first trial..."

Applejack gave the rectangle a rather dubious look. "An' this is an improvement 'cause...?"

"It could be any magazine."

"It could also explode."

"...that too. It's your call, Applejack."

The farmer looked at the rectangle. Then she looked at the International Library Exchange Request Form. All sixty triplicate-bearing pages of it.

With the urge to bolt riding in every tail-twitching syllable, "Gimme... The Protoceran Whole Seed Catalog. In Equestrian. Table of contents, iffin y'please."

The rectangle glowed -- and the gold flashed into white, with black text flowing down the surface.

"It works!" Twilight gasped -- then grinned. "It was seven hundred bits, but it -- Applejack?" Because she had just spotted the mixture of confusion and annoyance which was starting to narrow green eyes.

"This ain't a catalog."

"...sorry?" Another glance out the window. Back to the gold rectangle.

"Looks like somepony's diary."

Twilight's field jerked the dense metal back. "It's... oh, dear, it's... um..."

"Yeah."

"I didn't even know Caramel was dating again."

"He is."

"Or that he wrote down..."

"That's at least half the breakups, Twi. Y'gotta get into the gossip more often than y'do. An'..." The narrowing eyes went into full squint. "Y'know that picture of your brother which y'finally hung up in the loft?"

"...yes?"

"Don't look at it."

Twilight looked.

"Ah told you not t' --"

"-- I know!" Twilight accelerated into a half-gallop, raced past Applejack, came to a stop in front of her personal notebooks. Pinkish energy frantically flipped pages. "And these are recipes! And --" full gallop this time, stopping at the linguistics shelf "-- hoofball stats! I don't --"

This time, the purple eyes narrowed.

"She's at it again, isn't she?"

Applejack indulged in a long sigh. "Looks like. Y'want me t' yell this time?"

"No, I'll do it..."

And one last run, up the stairs to the loft, where her field flung the balcony doors open, and the unicorn galloped to the maximum altitude of "outside" she had available.

"RAINBOW!"

Which got her a snicker. "What?"

"STOP HACKING MY CLOUD!"

Author's Note:

Non-'verse "canon" as @#$%.

And one storage commercial over the line.