• Published 3rd Jun 2015
  • 11,015 Views, 591 Comments

Angel of Gold - Magna85



Nice guy gets turned into a Celedon and has probably the most powerful vocals in the world. What will he do upon reaching Equestria? (Displaced)

  • ...
44
 591
 11,015

Chapter 27

Exactly at eight thirty P.M., C Squad arrived in the Throne room. They were all carrying their equipment, though they were wearing a much lighter form of armor than what I had seen before. It was also not a bright and noticeable gold, but a more mundane steel grey. They looked almost like mercenaries rather than guardsmen.

Then again, that might be a good thing.

"Hey guys. You ready for the trip?" Instead of answering me, they all looked to the Princesses. Celestia nodded with a smile and the guards' stoic expressions melted off.

"Yep, though Snow here had to triple check our equipment before he even let us get dinner," Jade said.

"You do remember that I am standing right here." The aforementioned squad leader crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow at Jade. Star sighed and walked forward while Jade and Snow had a small argument. There wasn't really any hostility in their words. Either way, Rock was standing near by in case one of them took it too far.

"While what she said was true, that's also standard procedure," Star clarified.

"Huh. So C Squad is really that strict?" I inquired.

"Not normally. It's just that missions outside the country require a bit more of a thorough hand. Snow is especially good with stuff like that."

"Ah. On another note, what does the 'C' in C Squad stand for?"

"'Celestia's.' Though it could also mean 'Custom,' since we all have custom weapons and equipment."

"Cool," Tim said from beside me. He continued, "What's it take to get into C Squad?"

Star turned to him with a slightly bored look. "Firstly, you have to have been in the Equestrian Military for at least two years. Then, you have to apply for 'Watched' status, so officers will know to watch you for good behavior and excellence in your duties. Finally, after you have received the recommendation, you have to go through an absolutely brutal training regime with every single weapon and armor type in the Equestrian Military's arsenal. That is the only way you can figure out what your best armor type and weapon is. However, due to the training, every single person who has been able to make it into C Squad is able to wield any standard weapon. Some exotics, like the snake-sword, require far too much training to be able to use properly in a short amount of time, but special permission can be gained to pick up one to five exotics. After you've been trained with at least five exotics, you would have to apply again, but with the express recommendation of your training instructor saying that you still have yet to find your best weapon. Then free reign is allowed with the exotics, but average skills with all weapons is still a requirement." Almost as an after thought, she added, "If you would like to learn more, please ask your nearest military application agency about applying to the Equestrian Military."

Holy crap... I looked at her with incredulity all over my face. Tim's mouth was open in shock. Star smirked slightly at Tim's expression.

"Yeah, we can kick pretty much anyone's butt six ways to Sunday with practically anything. The thing is, only one of the current squad applied for exotics training. Snow Lance, with his laser lance."

"Laser lance?!" Tim exclaimed.

Snow apparently heard the commotion and walked over, prompting the other two to walk over as well. He sounded quite bored when he explained his lance's functions, "Yes, laser lance. My lance hold a very complicated series of mirrors and solar capacitors to charge up a high-energy laser. At the highest setting, it can burn through steel in about two seconds. Thankfully, I can still use it as a regular lance due to durability enchantments on the main body."

"That doesn't mean we don't have special things for our weapons, though," Jade interjected.

"Correct. Everyone of us has our own fighting style, and we use teamwork to exponentially increase our battlefield effectiveness with our particular talents," Rock continued. Snow looked like he was about to say something else, but he was interrupted by the Throne Room doors creaking open.

"Sorry we're late!" Twilight and the rest of the girls nearly bowled each other over in getting into the room.

They were all panting a little bit, Twilight and Rarity more than the rest of them. Pinkie Pie, ever the impossibility, was hopping around on the balls of her feet looking like she hadn't even done anything strenuous.

"Well, I believe that's everyone here, now we-" Celestia started suddenly before a familiar voice cut her off.

"My dear, aren't you forgetting someone?" A stained glass window moved by itself, allowing my to see a dancing caricature of Discord.

"Discord, please stop being annoying," Celestia said with a hand to her forehead.

The stained glass man disappeared from the window before appearing before Celestia with a lamp that had a diamond in place of the lightbulb. "Celly, dearest, you know I can't stop being annoying for more than a day, and that day has already passed!" he said cheerfully before placing the lamp on top of Celestia's head. She looked quite done with Discord.

"My lady, we were not told that Discord would be joining us, if you would like us to-" Snow began before a motion from Celestia's hand silenced him. He had walked forward to speak with the sisters while Discord had been a nuisance.

"No, Discord is really more of a tag-along for the rest of them. Concentrate on protecting them, rather than keeping an eye on Discord."

"Yes, my lady." Snow bowed to his liege before stepping back.

"Alright everyone! Let's get this show on the road!" Discord shouted. Pinkie Pie jumped in the air with a whoop. During the previous conversation, the Elements had all put on their respective bags, sometimes helped by one of the members of C Squad.

Once everyone was situated, Discord called us around him, after which he said, "Let us be off!" and snapped his fingers.


We had been walking for a few minutes, Discord being lazy and floating around on a deck chair, before we met our first problem. The surrounding area was basically flat grasslands, with very few trees. Due to it being evening by the time we got going, the more biological members of our party didn't have to worry about the sun beating over their heads. In the waning light I could see a few snow-capped mountains far off in the distance. Discord had teleported us, by his calculations, at least one fifth of the way to the Mer-kingdom. Also by his thinking, that would give us enough time for, quote, "Seven tiny delays, five small delays, three medium delays, two large delays, or one day-long delay."

Only Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy didn't sigh in exasperation at that.

Anyway, the first problem we encountered was a roving pack of tumble-cats. Apparently, branches and twigs can assume the form of an actual creature. Also, apparently Fluttershy can placate practically any animal with her voice and mannerisms, so we were left alone. Then I also learned that timberwolves were a thing in the larger forests, though they were especially prevalent in the Everfree forest.

This world just keeps getting better and better, I thought sarcasically.

The guards were not as talkative as before, probably because of the presence of the Elements of harmony. There was not a bunch of talk from them either, most likely because of the incoming night time. Another thing that I was told was that the Elements of Harmony were national heroes, due to their actions in several major conflicts.

You learn new things every day... I thought, seeing the group of girls in a new light.

Eventually, we stopped to set up camp. Apparently Tim had most of the camping equipment, so he was enlisted to help set up the tents for the Elements. Rock helped him while the rest of C Squad took care of their own tents. I discovered a smaller tent for myself in my backpack, in a side pocket separate from the main section that was full of solid gold.

A little bit of observation of Rock instructing Tim gave me the knowledge to set up my own tent.

"Celedon, may I have a moment?" I heard a high class voice behind me after I finished setting up my tent.

"Sure. What do you need Rarity?" I turned around to see Rarity gazing at me with a critical eye. Rather, she was staring at my robe.

She shook her head and said, "I would love to take a look at the fabric of your outfit. I have never seen anything quite like it. It almost seems to be metal, yet moves with the ease of the softest silk. I don't want to be a bother, but would you mind terribly if I could ‘put it under a magnifying glass,’ as it were?"

I hesitated before saying, "I don't actually have any other outfits except this one. If I could separate a piece of the material for you without needing diamond edged scissors, I would." However, as I was saying this, I felt the bottom hem of my robe fall around my feet. I looked down in alarm, but only saw an inch wide section of the material touching my feet.

"Well, that is quite an interesting development," Rarity stated in confusion. After stepping out of the ring of fabric, I shrugged and handed it to the seamstress. "Oh thank you, I will take great care of this and see if I can't make you more outfits with the same properties," she said as she took the material. As I released it, I saw her arms drop heavily. But she grit her teeth and said goodbye, walking slowly back to her tent.

I shook my head and thought, Let's hope my entire outfit doesn't fall off one day. Not that anything will show, but it would still be embarrassing.

As I laid my head down to sleep, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched...


Elsewhere...

"Boss, they got this statue made of pure gold inside the smallest tent."

"You're sure its pure?"

"Yeah."

"Any guards?"

"Just four mercs and a guy in heavy black armor."

"Hmm...Alright. I don't like the smell of this, but get some of the guys and get the statue with Penny Pincher."

"You got it, Boss."

"If what you say is true, we're going to be rich before sundown tomorrow."

Author's Note:

Oh no! What's going to happen to our hero?

I could have been a jerk and stopped the chapter where Discord snapped his fingers, but I did say that they would get started at least a little ways into chapter 27.

Edited by neon scar