• Published 27th May 2015
  • 16,931 Views, 895 Comments

Foal Necromancer: Soul's Rebirth - Bold Promise



Madness. Bitterness. Cold, unwavering cruelty. Could love and acceptance truly wipe these stains away, or will they only offer the chance for the creation of a new foe, far worse than any Equestria had ever seen before?

  • ...
106
 895
 16,931

Resentment and resignation

Author's Note:

I'm sorry to say that there isn't going to be much killing or mauling for most of the story. I only started on the high stakes note I did because I wanted to place him in his element first before throwing him in a world of technicolor peaceful ponies prancing around on rainbows.

This story isn't about killing stuff. It's about having one character facing his demons and overcoming them by the skin of his teeth, and the other character learning what true evil actually means... and by the way, I'm switching the POV of every even chapter between these two characters. I hope you don't mind by any modicum amount. Feel free to mind in greater amounts, however. It helps me sleep at night.

The original story had the main character dodge a bullet to his sanity. This version decided to cry out some corny one-liner right before jumping head-first into the darkness that was going to engulf him anyway. And yes, it was going to engulf the hell out of him.

He turned out pretty bad, but hey. You don't survive a bad world for very long by running away. Believe me, I tried. When life gives you lemons, you need to weaponize those citrus fruits and make life regret ever giving you the means to kick its ass ironically. Use them to make nunchucks to punch it in the labia.

Whew... so anyway, calm down the hype. This chapter takes the perspective of Luna now. So none of that lemon flailing yet. Give it till chapter 7. For now, we're getting to know the main character...s.

(*) Hopefully Twilight or anyone else as magically or/and spiritually apt didn't get woken up by this, though one could debate that only specially trained and capable alicorns could smell that taint. It could also be debated that you'd need to be awake to be able to immediately notice if someone was stinking up the place. Cadence was too far away, though.

(**)Discord actually erased every such spell from every existing record in the world, perhaps with a hint of irony. Perhaps he felt threatened by the possibility of such magic being used against him, or perhaps he actually had enough sense to realize how disgusting the field was.

(***) Surprisingly, it took him several months before he got assassinated and replaced by someone just as ruthless as he was, but less complacent towards making sure he keept his head once he became a target of others' ambition and greed.

Personal note, I may sound like a downer during the Necromancer's projected inner monologue. I'm doing well, despite managing to put on paper this depressing perspective on human nature. Don't read too much into it, it's just an artistic representation.

It was another peaceful winter night.

My stars remained in their place obediently, my ponies resting peacefully below. It seemed hard to believe that there ever was any time of grief betwixt us. Most certainly, it was nothing like a thousand years ago. I could only be thankful for my dear sister for this change...

It was just another silent, snowy night. Since barely anyone ever bothered to attend Court, and the nobles only bothered to grace the night on times of festive balls that rarely took them too far into the late hours. I didn't have anything better to do with my time either way.

This was far from unwanted, however. I enjoyed these moments. In-flight, on the horizon, watching over restful sleep. It was not often, but there were the occasional malevolent forces taking shape at night. This particular night, however, seemed as though it was going to be a peaceful one.

Indeed, it seemed that it was going to be just another lonely, cold night...

That was how it seemed, up until I was proved wrong.

”What in the name of the gods...”

A massive outburst of power erupted somewhere in the distance. It appeared to be somewhere near-

”No...”

It wasn’t near Canterlot, it was right above it!

I forced myself into getting back as soon as possible. I would've most likely broken the magical barrier if it was only sheer wing power put into the effort, but fading ethereal through the night sky made it unnecessary to force such a cacophonous stunt. It would only be a few minutes by the time I arrived from Manehattan, so hopefully, Celestia would be able to deal with the source of the disturbance on her own until then.

As I drew nearer, all I could ask myself was what this being could be. The amount of magic it was burning through, what was it doing? And why was it so... raw? Like it was swimming directly in the leylines, its soul was completely bare. It was naked, flaring and befouling so abundantly, I could sense its particulars from tens of miles away.(*) I hadn’t sensed a presence this dark since Sombra. Was he back? No, it wasn't the same kind of taint. It was worse.

Where the fallen crystal pony was boiling with fury and pride, traits which rendered him predictable in the end, this one's presence radiated cold, calculating discipline as well as boundless malice begging for a target. A great mind capable of untold atrocities. Such a foe needed to be caught immediately, lest it has time to gather its strength.

Whatever this being was, it seemed that it was not taking up any acts of aggression yet. Neither was Celestia doing anything about the obvious threat right at our doorstep. Was she being cautious? Truly one cannot be too careful with this particular kind of foe. After all, the fallen king was by no means strong enough to face us both, but he still managed to almost steal away victory through the use of his cunning and ruthless curses. This one did not seem as powerful, but he seemed to be more careful. Perhaps Tia was aware of more than I was? After all, she was closer.

As I reached halfway over the Everfree, I seemed to have drawn within range of the strange entity's perception, prompting it to flee. It moved so quickly, almost instantaneously, then it stopped just as quickly. That was not teleportation, the being seemed as though it was somehow exempt from the laws of physics altogether. It appeared the stranger could phase ethereal as well.

Its behavior was peculiar. It didn't do anything, almost as if it was only trying to goad us into following it. Was it leading us into a trap? Hopefully, Tia could shed some light on what was happening.

We took no time at all to meet up where the new being surfaced.

”Sister, what is going on?”

She only gave me an aggravatingly calm smile in return, as she usually does when she knows something I don’t. I was in no mood to deal with this, and I knew she noticed. There was only so much she could do to mask her reactions.

”It would seem that someone has decided to grace us with a visit. Someone from outside our world.”

Someone from another world? Truly? Exactly how powerful was this stranger? How much energy did they expend to get through the boundaries of reality?

”And why didn’t you take action until I arrived?” I accused pensively, keeping an eye on the stranger’s magical presence.

”Because I am interested in finding out what he wanted. If we know that, then we can predict his actions.”

So it’s a he, then? Noteworthy, I thought. I started towards the stranger’s new position, making sure to be subtler this time. Tia decided the same as she flew beside me.

”What else could you tell about this new player in our fates, besides it being a he?”

”Not enough. He’s troubled, and you’ve probably noticed how... unseemly his particular type of presence is, but he does not seem aggressive in any way. If anything, he just seems to be seeking to be left alone.”

”Be that as it may, we can’t allow him to roam freely. Who knows what he’s capable of.”

I couldn’t have timed my statement better. The stranger just so happened to decide now was a good time to start channeling power for a rather dark-natured spell.

”That’s necromancy! We must make haste!” I shouted as I took the lead. Tia decided to follow close behind, wordlessly though, and with no urgency. Did she know something else?

I’d assumed the stranger noticed our approach, but this time he didn’t try to escape. He was most likely ready to face us now. Who knew what gruesome trap he prepared for us?

He was within a cave. A perfect place for an ambush, I realized.

”Perhaps it would be best if only I entered, sister. We can’t be too... care...ful.”

Celestia decided to answer by just walking inside before I even finished. She looked back quizzically to gesture for me to come along. I sighed and obliged.

The amount of necromantic energy being used was massive, and it was all focused on creating one creature...

'Wait. Create? It’s not bringing any corpse back to life, it’s bringing a new body into existence...'

”Is he...” I started and was cut off.

”Creating new life? It would seem so.”

”But that’s impossible! Necromancy does not act this way! It’s a force of harm, not good!”

”It would seem that there’s yet more to this particular creature than either of us know at the moment.”

”So you’re suggesting that he might not be that bad? Or are you saying he’s just all that more unknown and unpredictable?”

”I’m saying that we shouldn’t decide on who he is in his stead.” She looked at me critically. I sighed in defeat. She knew me, that wasn’t a surprise at all. She didn’t even need to know me for a few thousand years to know exactly what to say to drive her words home. I afforded myself to wallow in the irony of the situation.

”Fair enough. I suppose we can afford to interrogate him and see which one of us is wrong.”

”I’m happy to hear it,” she smiled again. How quaint.

We tracked down the source of the spell to the back of the cave. There, what we found gave us both pause in our steps.

It was a foal. A young dark-grey colt with beautiful yellow hair. He looked malnourished, but that wasn’t what drew our attention as much as the disturbing way his eyelids sagged. It appeared that his sockets were empty, that he didn’t have any eyes inside.

What gave me even more pause, though not as much shock, was the presence of not only a horn on his forehead but also wings on his back. My words came out without my noticing, ”My stars...”

By Tia’s composure, she was affected just about the same.

Surely enough, the dark energies were mostly spent by now, what were left were active within the colt. Further inspection showed that the colt himself was, indeed, the source of the energies.

It seemed we’ve found who we were looking for.

What was going on here?

The colt appeared to be asleep, though I couldn’t see any dreams within his mind. 'Is there something wrong? Are the dark energies hurting him?'

I searched more carefully, studying the energies and their apparent effects. They weren’t hurting him. They were, indeed, creating this body from nothing but magical aether. However, the process seemed incomplete. The spirit was still settling, the mind was still forming, the soul was still syncing. Whoever was inside knew what he was doing. His ability was simply unfathomable. The skill, the knowledge required to recreate the minute details that made up a living body so flawlessly...

Fear struck. I voiced out carefully, ”What else would he be capable of?”

Celestia seemed to understand what I was hinting at and nodded. ”We need to suppress his magic either way. The dark energies are already affecting this body.”

I let out a huff. ”This certainly won’t be bothersome.”

Leaving aside the obvious main reason why no creature should ever have access to such talents, under any circumstances; Ponies are very profoundly affected by their magic, beyond simply giving them their cutiemarks. As for dark magic? The effects vary from the pony dying, to affecting the mind, body, and soul progressively, misshaping the body while it accumulates the energies until they either cause the user to burn out, or burst often rather catastrophically. Perhaps his old world worked differently, but the way things were going, this new visitor's body was not long for its new world without our intervention.

By nature, suppressing another’s magic is no simple endeavor. Cutting one's tie to the psionic field generally requires as much concentration to maintain as the target’s magical talent. And considering his capabilities thus far, it would probably not be too difficult, but not easy either. Hopefully, we won’t take too long to manufacture a runed relic to manage this task more efficiently.

Once we were certain our binding runes were properly written and secure, we then decided to take a look inside this strange being’s mind. See what we were dealing with. Perhaps it was cheating to simply use magic so conveniently, but when one has the ability at their disposal, why not use it when they truly had a reason to?

"Hello?" I spoke. My voice echoing throughout the mind and resonating inside the soul. It didn’t take long for an answer to come.

"Who's there?" a man asked quickly, clearly confused and nervous. "How did you manage to get in here?"

"Quite easily, to be honest,” my sister answered. "As for who we are, you’re speaking to the protectors of this land. Identify yourself, if you please.”

The mindscape was still forming. It was in a shattered state. Even so, we saw glimpses of the memories belonging to the human within. Most of them were quite disturbing. Others were downright horrendous. What manner of monster was this?

"I'm just a lonely traveler looking for a place to live peacefully. I have no ill intent."

"But your soul is soaked in blood!" I shot back. Surely he wasn’t trying to fool us, was he? "Tell us, human. Why should we not destroy you here and now?"

I didn’t want to sound so cruel, but my indignation was just nonetheless. Why should we leave him to roam freely, when he could just harm our subjects so easily, in manners as unspeakable as the ones he’d committed on his own kind?

"...I just want to live."

Hopelessness, fear... His voice held despair at the possibility of his death. He reacted just like anypony else would.

Still, that didn’t change anything. Even Sombra was scared in the end. And so was I when I was banished to the moon. That doesn’t change the fact that our defeats saved countless innocents. Regardless, we’d already decided to give him the benefit of a doubt before deciding his fate. So, we reached further inside.

The realm of the mind. It takes imagination to form your surroundings. So far, this place was still in the process of creation. It would’ve been cruel to try to dive straight in and look for our answers ourselves. Instead, I decided we might as well let him present his case. As to receive orientation, as well as to study his reactions. My sister likely wanted only to resolve this as gently as possible, but I wanted to look him in the eye.

We entered his mind, appearing as a black void all around. Here, we’d meet with his soul and question him.

As his pseudo-manifestation took in the sight of those belonging to me and my sister in front of him, his mouth gaping in shock (apparently he truly had never seen our kind before), we took his appearance in as well.

It would seem somewhat likely that his soul was already starting to merge with his physical body, in terms of appearance. Perhaps in a few years, as he’d get more and more used to this body, his default spiritual shape would also be that of a pony. Until then, however, only the colors of his fur and mane coincide with his clothing and hair.

A dark-gray coat and vestments covered his body, fair blond locks hung over his face, over the bandages covering his eyes, or, eye sockets more likely. It seemed that seeing him eye to eye was going to be a little difficult.

Personally, I hadn’t met many humans in my time. However, his appearance was not surprising. After all, they are one of the most widely spread, tenacious, and versatile races inhabiting throughout the Tree of Eternity.

This was not the first instance of another race visiting our world, even if theirs was among the ones that would do so more often than any other. It would seem that their race holds a certain sympathy for ours, curiously enough.

The human before us appeared worse than he should’ve. He was as skinny as the colt he now resided in, his posture was weary as well as permanently ready for intercepting and countering aggression, and there were no eyes under those bandages. He was caught at a loss.

Tia seemed more than eager enough to speak first. "A fair trial is the least we could afford you. State your case, and we will decide what best to do with you."

The fact that he saw one of us talk had driven home. ’Yes, human. The pretty pony really can talk.’ Even despite his arduous reactions, his mind was very active with considering a cacophony of possibilities.

After further deliberation, he closed his mouth, straightened his back, carried a hand to his chest dramatically, and took to a more proactive posture. "As much as I simply love the idea of having someone else decide my fate, might I first..."

"No," Tia answered with finality. The human betrayed quite the savage grimace, the kind I hadn’t even seen on dragons whose eggs had been insulted by intention.

He took a couple of calming breaths.'Wise,' I thought. 'So he knows who he’s dealing with after all, though he undoubtedly has his dark interpretation of us to fit his twisted philosophies. What might he believe? That we’d stoop to acts of violence similar to his? Perhaps that's why he chose the appearance of a foal, to further deceive and discourage us.'

I took the liberty of making sure his thoughts would be more easily accessible. The human looked behind himself to find a massive screen playing scenes of his life, melding in and out like in a dream. Only instead of a first-person, I made certain that the pictures would be presented from an objective look. This way, nothing would be lost in either transition or context. Just a clear, third-person perception. One moment there was a scene of a human child hunting frogs in the bog near his hometown, next there was a cloaked figure battling... what supposedly was a striga.

The alien sighed, gathering his bearings, and spoke again in his calm, collected tone of voice, which almost managed to make him appear reasonable and understanding for a moment. Perhaps it would have helped him wear his facade if it weren't for the memory of him skinning a man alive that was running behind him at the time.

It was hard to acknowledge his words. He tried to pass himself off as smart and articulate, but all I perceived him as was cunning and forked-tongued, "Although I find this incredibly unfair, I suppose it can't be helped... Where should I start now."

His memories started to fade from one to the other more calmly. I could only imagine what he was trying to look for. His main focus was to convince us to be merciful. Unfortunately for him, no amount of begging was going to suffice and no attempt to hide the truth would succeed, nor would it be ignored.

Only now did he notice his thoughts were echoing throughout the area. It finally dawned upon him that he had nothing he could do but tell the truth, from his perspective. 'Let’s see how he colors it. With pride in his accomplishments? With excuses and passing of blame? With callous disregard, or perhaps even joy?'

He was nervous about his circumstances, however. The feelings of anxiety were abound in his mind, all around us. The way he held his composure with all of this negativity coursing through him was impressive.

I found it even more impressive how he managed to calm the maelstrom with just a deep breath and a forward tilt of his head. He regarded us each with an even glare.

”Okay then, equine creatures which I have no idea what you are and how you're able to talk. I suppose I have no choice but to explain my entire life to you. Who I am, what I've done to survive, despite how horrible it all was, and why I became the way I am. However, before I start, I'd want to make a few things clear."

'Honesty? It would seem he assessed his situation intelligently. He also seemed to not be above resorting to snark.'

"And what would those be?" Tia asked, beckoning him to state his requests.

He started to pace, "As I've admitted earlier, I've done terrible things. I went through things that, if you would be so kind and check, you would need to admit that no sane man would be able to survive unscathed. I did not wish for violence..."

He stopped pacing. The images behind him stopped to show him standing in a field of dead warriors and destroyed undead. He was... dazed in his memory, at every step he seemed ready to fall over and join his victims. He did not seem happy.

"Since we're here," he sounded like he ate something foul, "perhaps you can choose to judge me fairly? After all, it would be too easy to just pick out a few moments from my life when I have been cruel, confused, or cowardly and just call it a night. If instead, you don't want to be a couple of presumptuous, self-assured hypocrites, perhaps you will consider challenging my reasoning instead. Show me how much better than me you are and tell me with a straight face that you would have done better. If you bring forward an instance when I initiated violence, perhaps you might consider checking for extenuating circumstances. You have heard of the concept, have you not?"

"Do you not feel shame nor regret?!" I snapped. I wished to do far worse than yell in outrage.

He seemed to ponder my words for a few seconds, "That would imply I did not try my best within reason, so no, not really."

'...He does have a point, but that does not lessen how much of a cheeky knave he is.'

"While it is true that I have acted on hate and apathy," I could hear Celestia hold back her dinner as images of gore and violence passed by, I wasn't doing much better, "when others come to you with vile intentions, again and again, well... To put it simply, evil has a habit of sticking to you. Despair... bends you and breaks you, you lose some parts of yourself to preserve the parts that keep you alive. But I say again, my circumstances were merely extenuating. I offer no excuses, I am merely trying to prove that I am not as unreasonable as you think."

"Those images... you're a monster."

He did not have a witty retort to my words that time.

”If you would let me go and not look for me, you would never hear from me again. I might've gone out of my way in the past to help others, but that was long ago. All I care about anymore is to be left in peace. Then again, that is the reason why I killed so many. So I suppose my argument is moot after all?"

He seemed to force down a rueful laugh, before sighing.

”Consider this. I am at your mercy. I have no control over my body, no say in my fate, no power to fight back. I'm not asking for any donations. I never beg. I'm only asking for you to listen to my side of the story until I consider there is nothing left for me to say. If you can judge me fairly, then I will defer to your judgment."

"Even if our sentence is dea-"

My words froze in my throat. He smiled at me, with insanity unlike any I've ever seen in all my centuries of life. Even Discord never managed a smile so deranged and yet so...

'Huh. Why does he seem sad?'

I shook away from the thought. I judged that if anything, it was... unlikely he was lying...

I turned to my sister, who looked back at me with a strange look of comprehension. I didn't know what she saw, but I could instead practically see the gears turning in her head, and I could have sworn I saw a twinkle in her eye.

"Very well," she spoke before long.

The human acknowledged, then he crossed his arms and started to pace again. "I assume introductions might be in order?"

"You first," I answered quickly. His reaction caught me by surprise.

He stopped pacing again, his previously smothered laughter returned like one of his undead. At the expense of sounding pretentious, I can only state the truth that cold and hollow echoes resounded all around, like the cries of a demented Windygo.

A couple of seconds later, his laughter calmed down then he answered. "Ah. Well, sorry. But I do not have a name to give. Not anymore."

I cleared out my throat. "How come?"

"Because I needed to get rid of it," was his simple answer, his tone barren, as the images behind him finally focused on the memory in question.

The images showed writhing in pain on the floor of a forest. Lacerations appeared across his flesh and blood spilled from every orifice. We couldn’t feel what pain he felt back then, but we did receive its memory. It was excruciating.

He needed to use every ounce of his concentration to keep himself from passing out, using his magic to both drown out the pain and do the only thing conceivable for him to save his life. Even if severing his name was only causing his pain to increase three times over, like trying to amputate an already putrid limb.

"They were using it to kill me, so I was forced to sever it from my being."

In this instance, he gave off neither resentment nor regret. Celestia and I knew what naming magic entailed, and what it meant for someone to sever it from their being. It meant that he no longer had a place within fate, that he would never feel he belonged anywhere ever again. That those who knew him forgot he ever existed, that any mention of him would be erased. Anything he ever did was either consigned to someone else or cast to oblivion. Leaving behind nothing but an anomalous thing walking around at the edge of your perception.

The alternative, of course, was that he would have been dragged with his Name over into oblivion.

"I got better, of course. That's not to say that the severing process and the following couple months of recovery were anything short of Hell."

While Purgatory is still worse than being a Fateless, it's not by much. To recover though... it's possible, similarly to how learning to live without your limbs without aid is possible.(**)

"Why would anyone do such a thing?" Tia asked.

"The simple answer? Human nature."

Despite his words, his tone wasn’t resentful at all. It was just plain, simple. Like speaking a well-known fact, like how the sky is blue and birds sing.

And then his thoughts started streaming forth on their own. It seemed he wasn't as honest with himself as he made himself out to be. 'Still though. Such resentment at his own species?'

"We're cruel. Selfish. Sure, we occasionally do acts of selflessness out of love. But usually, our kindness springs from spite, to go against those who wronged us. To prove we're above animals. Civilization, right. It's based on fear and greed; pain keeping us in the campfire's light, and arrogance in thinking rising in station actually means something. Everything in line with our instincts, our insecurity, and our worthless egos. Always preying on someone else, always making me the scapegoa-"

He took a deep breath to calm himself. He took a while in thought, studying us, before starting.

"The motive behind my branding as a scapegoat all comes down to a single mistake of my old, stupid, child self. I failed to hold my tongue and challenged a noble knight's word. That's it, that is all it took. About half a decade later, the king died and it just so happened that of all the people in the world, it would have to be the same knight I angered back then, who would later inherit the throne."

The anger in his last two sentences was genuine. However, it seemed as though he was angrier at himself than the knight he was speaking of. There was a fair amount of disgust towards the one who ruined his life, but it seemed he did hate the fact that he was human. Well, perhaps he'd be happy to know that wasn't a problem anymore.

"I hardly think someone would hold a grudge for five years," Celestia tried to argue. It wasn’t that she was doubting in another’s ability for cruelty, she was just trying to poke, and see the reaction.

Her reaction, of course, was a wave of glacial cold. One could only imagine the glare he would’ve offered if he could.

At one point the image behind the human was of a boy being held against the wall by his chest, by a knight sporting a look of arrogance and rage, being pulled back by an adult similarly clad in armor. Next, was a scene in a dark building. A blond young man in humble clothing kneeling, hands tied behind his back, in front of a dark-haired man in elaborate, rich clothing, not too much older than the former. The latter was holding the other's chin up by the tip of a sword. It wasn’t hard to distinguish who was who.

The human in our presence took the liberty of explaining what we were seeing. Not moving. Not giving away a thing. Just... standing there and telling his tale.

"He didn't need any reason to hold back. Being king, he had no fear of repercussion, since it would’ve been the most horrible crime conceivable to strike back at him. To hurt the king is to hurt the entire kingdom, after all. And he took full advantage of that fact."

'Untie him.' the dark-haired man said. Afterward, two soldiers came forward to fulfill the given order.

'Now give him a sword.' the royal continued, enjoying every moment as he slowly brought his terrified adversary up with the sharp tip against his jowl.

"He only needed to remember who I was upon being brought to him. He was in power, so he had all the right in the world to do as he pleased." He spat.

'Defend yourself.' the king voiced out moments before attacking fiercely, giving barely any time for his adversary to parry.

"I had all my life to remember that day. Maybe he just wanted to scare me? Maybe he only wanted to hurt me non-lethally? Maybe he just wanted me to prove my right to talk back at him. Still, his conceit and cruelty were clear on his face. It didn't matter either way. He was going all out, actively trying to kill me during his 'honorable' duel."

Throughout the one-sided match, the king sliced at his adversary's arm, then struck the sword out of the dream-self’s hands soon afterward.

'Pathetic.' the royal said to the kneeling and defeated memory-self. 'Are you supposed to be one of my warriors?' He spat at him in disgust, the Necromancer snarled at the sound. 'Weaklings like you only hinder the rest of us.'

He brought back his blade to strike him down. I could feel Tia gathering magic in her horn instinctively, which came with a small feeling of surprise coming from our storyteller.

'No!' The boy held his hand out defensively. As the metal sliced through his hand, halting between the bones, dark energy erupted forward, knocking the king back.

Everyone was stunned, including the young necromancer.

'Kill him!' ordered the king, and his soldiers obliged.

"It was no small miracle that I got out of there with my life," he concluded as the images showed him running past the still stunned guards, some of them running after him, others back-pedaling away from him, and still others going for their crossbows instead. He managed to reach a window, heard the stretching of crossbow string, and decided on his action. He jumped, tumbling off the cliffside once with a sickening crack of bones, into the river they used as a moat, where he was taken by the current. "It helped that fortresses are generally built to effectively keep invaders out, not to keep any desperate escapees in. It also helped that this particular keep was Richard's favorite place of residence because it had great accommodations, its fortifications were second in priority.(***)"

I and my sister both let out breaths we didn't know we were holding. "But you survived. Didn't you run?" I asked.

"I did,” was his answer. ”I ran and hid throughout the whole kingdom afterward. That was all that I could do for the rest of my life."

"What happened next?" I asked.

Up to that point, he maintained his breathing rhythm, even though it was unnecessary to breathe in here. Now, however, his mental projection and his entire mind were still. He wasn’t thinking of anything. Otherwise, we’d hear his thoughts. The screen behind him was trembling, the spell was struggling to remain stable. The area was getting darker on its own, our mental link spell was being strained. He was receding into himself, deeper, deeper still, it was as if we were falling into a void.

"After that, my family was killed."

He wasn’t angry. He wasn’t sad. And no, he was not indifferent. In that void, we saw his face. He was hurt but resigned to what had been done to him. Because that's what counts for normal for a human.