• Published 12th Nov 2011
  • 2,354 Views, 44 Comments

The Somewhere Cycle; Volume 1: "Wander and Green Brier" - The Descendant



Two talented generals in Equestria's regular army have powerful visions of lives they lived before.

  • ...
1
 44
 2,354

Chapter 3

The Somewhere Cycle
Volume 1: "Wander and Green Brier"

Written by The Descendant

Chapter 3

Green Brier:
Over the course of the next three years Sycamore Corps launches a series of offensives that carry our flags deeper into the Everfree Forest and farther along the mountains than they had been placed in generations.

We defeat the Chrey utterly, their officers throwing down their swords and laying on the ground in supplication. We push so deep into their columns that we reach the places where they are sheltering their old, their young, their sick and wounded.

So, it is like any of the peoples coming over the mountains…they are refugees. We are Equestrians, and true to the wishes of Her Majesty we do not commit crimes against them. We are merciful…they are all taken alive, we share our rations with them as they look on us with unbelieving eyes.

Why was their first instinct to fight us? I try to gather these things from the survivors, but most do not know my words, and those that do seem more afraid of what is over these mountains than of us.

It is up to politicians to decide what the peace that we are soon to bring will look like, and we move into the mountains. Our trinity of races, the unicorns, the pegasi, and the earth ponies work together to defend the passes and gaps so that the endless wars do not enter Equestria proper…as our forebears have done for millennia uncounted.

In the first year we had discovered the place where the old Gold Army Group had been destroyed, and we buried the remains of our brothers and sisters who fell there in that lonely place.

We gathered up their flags, those that were still identifiable as such, and sent them back. There the survivors of those corps, now being rebuilt, would tend them, make them ready to fly over proud regiments, brigades, and divisions once more.

As other army groups and corps gain strength we assist them, and they us. Soon the entirety of the Eastern and Southeastern Approaches are cleared, and we stand atop the Pass of Fides, the legendary place where Equestrians first entered this world.

There we rebuilt the Altar of Vita, and looked out across the Lesser Everfree to the deserts beyond.

I wondered what it was that was driving the wild peoples, these other races, and for the first time I pondered what could be so horrible beyond that expanse that it was scaring multitudes of these peoples into attempting to flee across it, and into the awaiting weapons of an resurgent Equestria.

It was there, atop that mountain, as the sun broke across us, in that one perfect moment, that General Hat had his worse tribulation…


Wander:
"Oh, no…" said the general, looking to each of us, his eyes going wide. He took three steps away, and before our unbelieving eyes, fell down into horrific spasms.

He had been having more of these as our years in the mountains continued, but we politely ignored them. What else could we do?

We looked on as his armor tore up the ground, as he brayed and tossed, his hooves flaying out around him. To have approached him would have resulted in blood and broken bones, both on our account and his, so in pity and horror all we can do, Brier, Rod, our staffs, and I, is watch as the greatest stallion we've ever served under is reduced to a jibbering, foaming mess.

When it's over Brier brings water, Hat's proud head rests on my lap, his hooves in Pad's hooves, and the proud old unicorn cries, and cries, and cries.

We are to come off the mountain. Other units arrive, along with Royal Engineers. They will fortify the passes, they will construct great gates, and perhaps this will give Equestria some safety from whatever wild people come sniffing at our borders for weakness…

…and from whatever is pursuing them.

It's sad though, that no matter how we do, safety is not certain. Not even within our own borders.

We made our way out of the Everfree forest and back within the proper limits of Equestria just as summer was beginning. We are to go to Ponyville, just below Canterlot. It's a holiday, the Longest Day of the Year, and as tradition most of my boys stay up all night to great the sun…


Green Brier:
…but the sun does not come.

I had been up, awaiting the sun, the blessed sun that Her Majesty delivered across our country each day.

Yet, as I bowed, along with my men, as I always have since that day in the garden, I am aware that the sun is not rising.

For hours, I wait, my head bowed. Time flees before me. The men who had joined me begin to feel their stomachs growl, and I dismiss them.

Some stay. Captain Hazel, General Rolling Stream, stay nearby, or just stretch.

Time goes from early morning to late, from late morning to noon, to afternoon, but the night remains. For the first time since I am nine years old I am not kneeling before the sun in the morning.

I close my eyes, lock them down, and concentrate on My Lady, My Sovereign.

Bobby would do this, when he was in doubt, and I look to him for strength.


Wander:
My men were worried. Fair Trot tried to keep their spirits up, but soon the name of the Mare in the Moon is mentioned, and from there the rumors set in.

I saw Brier at his camp, on the hill nearby, he and a few adherents still bowing, as he always does to the sun. As I watched more of his men come and join him.

In his camp, there is quiet, peace.

In mine, rumor and fear.

I trot over to where Brier laid, his head down in supplication. A few of his officers, like Captain Hazel nodded, saluted me, but Brier remained motionless.

We were never close. Even after these three years of fighting side by side our relationship was impersonal, entirely professional.

But I saw in him then something that I'd never have. I bowed down beside him, rested my head on the grass, and concentrated on the princess.

Soon, men of my division joined me. Kick Start, Fair Trot, many of my officers and enlisted men stray over, bow down, and join us in the silence.


Green Brier:
I feel General Wander arrive, I hear him kneel beside me. Soon after more ponies are moving, bowing, and silence overwhelms us.

Soon General Rod arrives, and General Black Hat. Soon that great green field, those hilltops, with the mountains and forest behind, is covered not only in the blanket of night but in the still and silent form of tens of thousands of ponies, all of whom are focused deeply on Her Majesty, Her Grace…My Lady.

At once there was a blast of light, and arc of color in the forest far south of us. A rainbow, massive and terrifying, leaps up vertically into the sky near where Ponyville lay beyond river and meadow. Our heads turned to it in awestruck wonder.

At once the sun, which had cowered behind the mountains, unable or unwilling to cross over Equestria, erupts to its rightful place in the sky, a blazing tail following it.

The soldiers stand and cheer, around us wild exhilaration.

I though, turned to Wander. Awkwardly I nodded to him, and spoke.

"Thank you."


Wander:
"You're the one to be thanked."

We arrived outside Ponyville within a week. By that time however couriers, newsponies, and the usual gossip mill had provided us with excruciating detail about the events we had witnessed from afar, about the emergence of Nightmare Moon, the Elements of Harmony being reformed, the retrieval from darkness of Princess Luna, and the return of the Two Sisters to the throne.

We arrived outside in Ponyville, and as soon as we'd set up camp I got a visitor. It was not anyone I would have expected. Her Majesty's Minister of War found his way inside my tent, and I offered him some hard crackers and jamoke. It's all I had at the moment.

He refused, politely, and tried to engage me in small talk. It goes just as badly as when I try to talk to Brier. There are long pauses, and finally he sighs.

Taking his glasses off he wiped them on his long black coat. As he did he looked up to me. "Forty years ago I got an application to attend the Academy of Arms across my desk. I'm not supposed to get them, that's the job of the Commander of the Academy. It seems that he was worried because certain business people had endorsed it, people with whom Her Majesty's government had contracts for arms…"

I was suddenly very interested.

"He asked if it was okay to let it go forward. I said that it wasn't the applicant's fault…'Let the colt have a shot', I said."

I looked at him, and he continued to clean his glasses.

"Years later I received reports that a commander at a lonely army post had turned the worst company in the army into a premier force. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was the same name as on the application all those years ago."

"I decided upon an experiment. I sent that commander more and more, shall we say, 'hard-luck' units, just to see what he would do with them. Not at all to my surprise he made them into a jewel in the crown of the army, and used them to defeat an enemy of Her Majesty completely."

He finishes cleaning his glasses with a flourish, then puts them back on his long face. The unicorn, his long beard flowing down the front of his jacket, fixes me in another glare.

"Years after that I'm trotting down the halls of Canterlot, suggesting to Her Majesty that he'd make a proper Major General, that I'd watched his progress through the ranks..."

I stammer, and as he stands I escort him to the door of my tent. As it opens I see Brier there, waiting to speak with me on some matter. He recognizes the Minister, and they bow to each other.

As he left he turned to me again and said, "Please do try to look good during the parade and ball. I'd like you to make a nice impression on the Military Council."

"Parade?" I said, turning to Brier.


Green Brier:
"Ball?" I answered.

It was more a review than a parade. The Sycamore Corps was to be celebrated, our victories had finally brought some measure of certainty to the Eastern Approaches, and the soldiers certainly deserved to be recognized.

The morning of the review our three divisions fell into line. The skirmish regiment, the unicorns trained in fighting magic would go first, followed by Black Hat's personal guards.

Then came the pegasi brigade, our flying scouts and interdictors.

The artillery, in limbers, followed.

Rod's division was first in line, followed by mine, and finally Wander's.


Wander:
I hate parades.


Green Brier:
I adore reviews.

All three divisions stood facing the road, awaiting in formation. General Hat approached, his summoner wyvern riding his back. He opens his mouth and tries to speak, but before he can a rumble erupts from behind me, and around me.

"Black Hat! Black Hat! Black Hat! Black Hat! Black Hat!" cheers the entire corps in unison. I look to him, the aged unicorn, the gentile commander whom has either served in this corps or lead it for the entirety of his career, and I am not surprised when the tears begin.

He held up a hoof, and the entire corps went quiet. He nods to Rod, Wander, and myself as his summoner put three notes to flame.

My summoner handed it to me, and I read it aloud…


Wander:
"My Dear Corps,

In light of these many years of service, and at the behest of Her Majesty, the entirety of the Sycamore Corps is to be given leave of one year, commencing upon their dismissal following the review of today by their division commanders.

I will not be here when you return. My decades of active service are ending. I know though, that as this phase of my life ends, that I have lead into battle, and served beside, the greatest warriors our nation has produced.

In the name of Her Majesty, I bid you farewell. May peace find you in time, and love follow you in all places.

Your Grateful Commander,
Senior Major General Black Hat,
Commanding Officer, Sycamore Corps"


Green Brier:
"Black Hat! Black Hat! Black Hat!" they chanted again, but soon Rod's division devolved into cheers.

Mine followed more traditionally. "Hip, hip!" called one of my brigadiers.

"Huzzah!" answered twenty-three thousand tongues.

"Hip, hip!"

"Huzzah!"

"Hip, hip!"

"Huzzah!"


Wander:
Mine broke out into an improvised and unofficial corps theme song. I stop them before the raunchy parts are hit.

"Command!" called, Black Hat, choking.

Both:
"Division!" I called.

Brier:
"Brigade!" answered the brigadiers. And so the call to attention went all the way down to the company level, officers of all stripes put their soldiers in order.

Wander:
"Without undoubling…left…" called the old warrior.

Both:
"Without undoubling…left…" shouted we division commanders.

Brier:
"Without undoubling…left…"echoed again the brigadiers, and so down through the regiments, battalions and companies went the command.

Wander:
"Face!" calls Black Hat.

At once seventy-five thousand unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies snapped in unison. The ground shook at it, trembled with it.

Brier:
"Forward…" called General Black Hat, and we echoed his command. He trotted up to where his banner and staff awaited. We officers stepped to the forefront of our commands as the men prepared to march. The standard bearers stepped forward, the bands lifted their instruments…

Both:
And, after a moment of pause, Black Hat, in cracking voice, gave the last command he'd ever give his beloved corps.

"…march!" he shouted, and at it his thousands stepped off together in time, and "The Old Roan Thistle", the official marching song of the corps, beat out from fifty regimental bands.


Green Brier:
We came down off the hills that surrounded Ponyville, already young foals greeting us, handing us flowers and trying to march in time.

We crossed the High Bridge above the city, breaking step so it wouldn't collapse at the weight and rhythm of our multitude.

As soon as we had entered the city the cheers went up. The streets were lined with ponies, tens of thousands of them, more than we had in the corps. Official delegations from every settlement in Equestria that had soldiers in the corps were present, and they sought out their sons and daughters.


Wander:
We make a wheel down a principal road, and soon I hear cheers, and I know Black Hat has reached the podium. We mark time as the line comes to a halt, and in my mind I can see him kneeling before the princess, taking his seat beside her on the platform.


Green Brier:
We march again, and soon I hear the cheers for General Rod. As we march down onto the main square we wheel right, and then in front of the city hall of Ponyville.

"Eyes, left!" I order as we round the circular structure, the crowd cheering as I am recognized. I blush…it is my soldiers whom deserve the cheers.

Up on the platform I see her, and I order a halt. As my division marks time, my summoner, my senior brigadier, and I march up the steps to the platform.

There I salute Black Hat and, once more, I kneel before my sovereign.

"My General Brier, you bow before me again? Do you think that just because you have delivered such victories, that you have safeguarded my borders, that I will give you the same reward I delivered unto you the last two times you knelt in my presence?" speaks Her Grace in a playful tone.

"My Majesty, I have only that hope," I state, lifting my head.

And with that she places her head to mine, and moves it from my ears to my shoulder and back, and my world is perfect and beautiful.

Only then do I see the six ponies, the dragon, and the other princess on the dias, and bowing to Her Majesty Luna I make my way down the stairs, and back to my division.


Wander:
We march forward when Brier's Division moves out, and the crowd erupts into cheers when they see me. I don't look like someone to cheer, in my old junior officer uniform, but they seem to believe so.

My division marks time as I head up the steps. There I see not only Black Hat, but also a group of ponies, and the two princesses. "My Ladies," I state, bowing.

"Well done, General Wander", says Procer Celestia Invictus, "We had watched and awaited what you should do in the mountains."

"I live to serve, Ma'am," I answer, bowing.

I turn to Princess Luna, but she half turns her head, as though not knowing what to say.

"Ma'am," I interject, "we're mighty glad that you have returned to us."

"Thank…thank you," she says, her face illuminating.

With that I make my way back to my division.


Green Brier:
I am to address my troops, but I have no words for it. Instead, I wait for them, regiment by regiment, as we cross the Low Bridge.

I shake hooves with all who can reach me, and tell each officer, "Well done, dismiss your lads and lasses. Well done, dismiss your lads and lasses." They reach for me, speak my name, wash around me…

And soon they are gone, up the hill and past me, an army evaporating into the green grass and open sky.

My summoner, Jeroh, looks up to me. I see tears in the eyes of the wurm. "Jeroh," I say, "What is wrong?"

"I don't know sir, I don't know. It's just so kinda sad!"

I laugh, and as he hops on my back I carry him up into the camp. "Never be sad that something is over, my boy," I tell him, "But always be glad it happened…"


Wander:
Before we even crossed the Low Bridge, my division loses cohesion for the first time in its history. The entirety of my command is swarming around me, calling my name, "Wander! Wander! Wander!"

I was dripping with tears…I could not stop crying. I did not stop until they have carried me into camp and then, slowly, they all began to fade away.