• Published 21st May 2015
  • 6,161 Views, 98 Comments

What one can't have? - Miralusa



Can Sunset Shimmer have a princess and make it work from different realities. Can she have what one can't?

  • ...
24
 98
 6,161

Sunset Party

Author's Note:

Greetings bronies! So the next chapter huh? It's looking to get very 'chaotic' if you ask me ;). See if you can figure that one out before you read the story. I also just want to say that I can't write Applejack, so sorry for all the AJ fans out there. So R and R, and as always I will see you... in the next chapter, enjoy!

Chapter 2
Sunset party

Sunset ran through the hallways panicking about the text she just got from Fluttershy. She checked the text again. Fluttershy: Come quickly, something happened to Pinkie Pie. It had been a week since she got those two together and the thought of something bad happening to Pinkie, she didn’t know what Fluttershy would do if that happened. She busted through the door to the gym, “Fluttershy!” Sunset yelled trying to catch her breath. All of a sudden the lights came on in the gym and her friends jumped out.

“Surprise!” they all cried out at once.

“What’s going on?” Sunset asked shocked out of her wits.

“It’s your birthday party silly,” Pinkie replied running up and hugging Sunset.

“Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy told me something happened to you?” Sunset stated in her confusion.

“We had to get you here somehow,” Pinkie replied as if it was something completely normal.

“That was what you sent her?” Rarity said in disbelief, “We’re trying to throw her a party not give the poor girl a heart attack,” she added going over to Sunset. “Sorry about that, Sunset,” she said putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“Water under the bridge Rarity, at least you guys are all ok,” Sunset replied wiping the sweat from her forehead. “So you mentioned something about a party,” she added straightening up.

“Right the party!” Pinkie exclaimed and pulled her party cannon out and shot confetti out of it, “Happy birthday!” Pinkie screamed at the top of her lungs. It hit the group dead on with the confetti, covering them in the party accessory. Sunset blew the confetti out of her face and starts to laugh.

“See I told you this would work, I’m awesome like that!” Rainbow Dash boasted placing a open palm across her heart.

“You mean ‘we knew’ it would work,” Applejack stated crossing her arms and cocking her eyebrow at Rainbow.

“Well you guys helped, but come on let’s enjoy the party. We have another surprise for you, Sunset,” Rainbow stated excitedly.

“Right the other surprise, I love surprises!” Pinkie yelled as she ran off to get a chair. She unfolded the chair and motioned for Sunset to sit. When Sunset sat down, Pinkie and the rest of them went behind a curtain on the stage. Pinkie's voice came over the intercom in the gym. “Come on everybody I want to see you smile and give it up… For the rainbooms!” She exclaimed as the curtain started to open to reveal the five of them holding instruments, Fluttershy had a tambourine, Pinkie was on drums, Rainbow had a guitar, Applejack the base, and Rarity had a keytar, and each had a microphone in front of them. Sunset started clapping at their appearance. “One, two, three, four!” Pinkie yelled hitting her sticks together over her head.

“We've just got the day to get ready!

And there's only so much time to lose!

Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party!

So let's think of something fun to do!

We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen!

We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right!

All our friends are here,

And it's time to ignite the lights!” They all sung at once and the lights started changing between their various colors.

“Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail!” They begin their transformation and to Sunset’s surprise they go into their super form.

“Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight

Shake your tail, shake your tail!” Then Rainbow takes over.

“So what you didn't get it right the first time!”

Then Pinkie, “ Laugh it off, no one said it is a crime!”

Rarity, “ Do your thing, you know you're an original!”

And then Applejack, “Your ideas are so funny that they're criminal!”

And back to everyone,

“Ohhh-ahh!

We've just got the day to get ready!

And there's only so much time to lose!

Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party!

So let's think of something fun to do!

We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen!

We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right!

All our friends are here,

and it's time to ignite the lights!” Rainbow Dash jumped off the stage and tied one of the tails around Sunsets-waist and put the horse ears on her head. She dragged Sunset onto the stage, “Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!” Sunset started to shake her tail in time with everyone else shaking their extremely long hair.

“Shake your tail, shake your tail!”

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!

Shake your tail, shake your tail!

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!

Shake your tail, shake your tail!

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!

Shake your tail, shake your tail!

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight!” Pinkie flipped her drums upside down and it shot pyrotechnics out of it. Sunset turned around in awe of the fireworks and how her friends looked. Sunset clapped for the Rainbooms and whistled at them.

“That was amazing you guys!” Sunset exclaimed, “I have to ask though how did you guys do your transformations?” She asked looking at their super forms.

“We told you we had a surprise,” Rainbow Dash stated triumphantly.

“To answer your question ‘properly’ we don’t know,” Applejack said answering Sunset’s question.

“Maybe it’s residual magic from Equestria that’s linked to certain traits,” Sunset stated trying to comprehend this conundrum.

“Who cares how it works, it looks awesome!” Rainbow interjected with her signature wit. “This is a party you're meant to enjoy it! Not question stuff,” She added.

“Your right, answers can wait until tomorrow,” Sunset concluded and dropped the subject.

“So what’s next? Oh right presents!” Rarity exclaimed bringing out her present.

“I just want to say first, thanks guys for being here for me, it means a lot to me… Even though the rest of the school hates me, you guys are still here, and that means a lot to me,” Sunset stated and everyone smiled back at her.

“Everyone deserves a second chance, and you’ve proven to be a great friend by getting me and Pinkie together,” Fluttershy said and clasped Pinkie’s hand in her own.

“Yeah and if it wasn’t for you we wouldn’t have figured out about these awesome powers!” Rainbow said before she could stop herself, “No offense.” She added awkwardly.

“None taken?” Sunset replied confused.

“Alright, now back to presents!” Rarity exclaimed and shoved a present in front of Sunset, “This is from me,” she said with a wide smile on her face. Sunset started to smile and laugh as she unwrapped her presents but still at the back of her head she still knew that something was off, the lack of a certain purple pony/person. I would have loved that kind of surprise even more.

(The previous day)

Twilight was in her library/house looking through her books trying to find a way that she could communicate with Sunset Shimmer, it had been two weeks since she came back from the human world and a week since she got back from the crystal empire. She hadn’t had much time since the Everfree Forest rose up and invaded Ponyville, since things had only just calmed down in Equestria this was the only time she could afford to search for a way to talk to Sunset, and she wasn’t going to waste a second of it. “Are you sure you want to go through with this whole relationship thing with Sunset, can you even trust her?” Spike asked bringing over a pile of books from the far shelves.

“I’ve told you twice before Spike yes, I don’t know why I’m in love with Sunset but I am, and I’m not waiting around for thirty moons just to be able to see her again. If you can’t understand that then there's the door!” Twilight yelled and opened the door with her magic. Her friends walked through the door suddenly.

“That was convenient,” Rainbow stated and then stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Twilight and Spike glaring at eachother. Everyone else bumped into Rainbow then peered over her shoulder to inspect the situation.

“Are we interrupting anything?” Rarity asked looking between the two of them.

“Just a ‘friendly’ disagreement,” Twilight stated practically seething. “Right Spike?” she added through gritted teeth

“Yeah a ‘friendly’ disagreement,” Spike replied and stormed away.

“He was worried about the whole Sunset thing again wasn’t he,” Fluttershy said knowing full well the two of them only really get into arguments concerning Sunset Shimmer now.

"I'll go talk to him," Rarity said walking into the other room.

“I don’t care what he thinks, I just have to find a way to talk to her, so what do you guys have?” Twilight asked wondering if they had found anything in the library of the old castle.

“We searched the entire library from top to bottom, and there’s still nothing unfortunately, sorry Twilight,” Applejack stated with sorrow in her voice, she took off her hat and couldn’t look Twilight in the eyes.

“You guys tried your best, and I’m glad that you're here I couldn’t have done this without you guys,” Twilight said and got up from her seat and gave her friends a hug.

“But they could have done better!” A voice said in the room that they all immediately recognized.

“Discord!” They all said at once. Discord's eyes then appeared on one of Twilights lamps then his body materializes on the wall.

“Woops one second,” Discord said and then he appeared in front of them with his legs as his horns and his horns as his legs. “Oh this is so embarrassing,” he added and tried to rearrange himself again in a blur of motion and ended up with his head where his chest should be. Twilight’s eye started to twitch.

“Discord!” Twilight screamed at him out of frustration. Discord snapped his fingers and he was back to normal.

“Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,” Discord stated and snapped his fingers again and a handkerchief covered in snot appeared. “A penny for your thought?” he added and the handkerchief flew over to her. Twilight huffed and quickly set fire to the handkerchief with her magic.

“What… Do you… Want?” Twilight asked trying to maintain her calm.

“Well Fluttershy told me of your ordeal and I wanted to help… But obviously you don’t want my help!” Discord said turning his head in disdain and a door appeared in front of him. “I bid you good day!” he added as he was about to open the door. Twilight shot a glare at him.

“First, Discord if you open that door I will make sure it’s the last one you open for a while, second: You told him?” Twilight said looking over at Fluttershy who was now cowering in the corner.

“It just kind of slipped out, sorry,” Fluttershy said cowering in fear of Twilights anger… Along with everyone else.

“Alright and third: what were you going to say, Discord?” Twilight asked trying to keep an even temper.

“Well as I was going to say, Fluttershy told me about your little problem with your what was it she called it ‘girlfriend?’ or something along those lines,” Discord said and then a chair appeared behind him and he sat down on it, followed by a cup of tea appearing in his hand, a pair of glasses appeared upside down on his face and oddly enough Rarity’s cat appeared on his lap. He took a bite out of the tea cup and stroked the cat gently, which caused her fur to curl upwards. “It’s coming back to me now, it was a drizzly Tuesday I was walking the halls of the Canterlot royal library when I thought about what dearest Fluttershy had mentioned about your little problem. So I thought I might help, so I looked around and lo and behold…” Discord stopped for dramatic effect which made Twilight start tapping her hoof on the floor. “I found nothing,” Discord concluded lowering his head towards the floor.

“You wasted… all that time, telling us that you… found… NOTHING!” Twilight yelled and her entire frame lit on fire. When the flames finally subsided Twilight was breathing heavily in frustration. Discord got up out of the seat and put out the last bit of the flame that was on Twilights-head.

“Until I finally got to the restricted area and tadda,” Discord produced a book that looked as old as he was.

“But… you just, I thought-I thought… I hate you,” Twilight stated simply and grabbed the book.

“I value our friendship too, you’ll find everything you need to know about the portal in there, now I think my work is done here, I shall take my leave. See you all later, I’ll see you at tea next week, Fluttershy,” Discord said and Applejacks-hat appeared on his head and he tipped it at them and another door materialized in front of him in which he quickly stepped through. Applejack looked up to see her hat was missing.

“Dangnammit, Discord!” Applejack yelled and crossed her hooves and plopped down onto the floor.

“Thanks, Discord,” Twilight said finally and went over to her desk to study the book like nothing had just happened. She started flicking through it with her magic

“Twilight, are you ok?” Fluttershy asked. Twilight gave no response. “Twilight?” She asked again. Twilight put the book down and looked at all of them.

“We have to go back to the crystal empire right now!” Twilight said and started running around gathering things for the trip.

“Wh…” Applejack started to say but was quickly cut off by Pinkie Pie covering her mouth with her hoof and shook her head.

“You know that once Twilight sets herself on something she doesn’t let anything stop her,” Pinkie said as they all looked at Twilight as she was panicking while packing certain things for the trip.

(The next day)

Twilight and her friends stood before the portal once more with Cadence standing beside it. “So do you want to run that plan by me one more time?” Cadence asked still confused by the plan. “You kind of just gave me the overly complicated version,” She added trying not to insult Twilight.

“Well essentially there is still traces of magic that link our world to the other one, this tether is strong enough that we could fit a small object through it but not anything more,” Twilight said as clearly as she could.

“Ok, but I know there was something else to this plan aswell,” Cadence replied cocking her eyebrow.

“I need your help to keep the portal open. The book says that this requires a lot of magic to fuel the tether so that the object can make it to the other side, that’s why me, you and Rarity will use our magic to fuel it and Rainbow Dash will throw the object through the portal,” Twilight stated taking a breath after the long explanation.

“What is this object you’re talking about?” Cadence asked.

“Well, it’s Sunset Shimmer's birthday today so I wanted to send her a present,” Twilight picked up a huge book with a card attached to it.

“Only you would send someone a book for their birthday, Twilight,” Rarity stated while rolling her eyes. “I could have made her a dress,” She added with a smile.

“Then it wouldn’t be me, I want it to feel like it’s a part of me going to her,” Twilight said and swiped her hoof over the cover of the book. The title read History of Ponyville. But there was also a little surprise in the back for Sunset.

“I understand completely, Twilight,” Rarity replied with a reassuring smile.

“Alright let’s do this,” Twilight said with a deep breath. The three of them focused on channeling their magic into the portal as Rainbow prepped for the throw. A stream of purple, blue and pink magic channeled itself into the portal. “Not yet!” Twilight said huffing in exhaustion already, “Wait… Wait… NOW!” she yelled and Rainbow chucked the book through the portal like it was a baseball. “We need… to keep the connection up for a few more seconds, hold on everypony!” Twilight yelled struggling to keep her connection with the portal. Rarity had almost lost consciousness and even Cadence was having problems, Just hold on for a bit longer, Twilight thought to herself. Then Rarity's part of the tether was suddenly snapped when she fainted which distracted Twilight and her tether was cut also, which left Cadence holding the tether by herself which quickly overwhelmed her and the feedback shot her across the room. “Cadence, Rarity!” Twilight yelled panicking as she rushed over to Cadence while her friends tended to Rarity, Cadence was out cold after her head impacted the far wall. “Cadence,” she said pushing Cadence with her hoof. “Cadence!” she screamed tears brimming in her eyes, What have I done? I should never have tried this. “I should never have put you in this situation,” Twilight whispered weakly. “Rainbow, go find help!” She yelled towards Rainbow.

“You got it!” Rainbow said and then she was off.

I really hope the present made it, otherwise this entire ordeal was pointless.

(At that same time)

Sunset and her friends were now walking out of the school towards the structure that served as the portal between Equestria and Canterlot high. “So you guys just suddenly decided to make a band?” Sunset asked.

“Well we all knew that we could turn into our super forms if we played, and we figured that we would play awesomely so I decided to make the band,” Rainbow stated triumphantly.

“You mean 'we' decided to make the band,” Rarity said crossing her arms angrily.

“Wait a minute, that reminds me!” Sunset stated suddenly. She then ran back into the school and came back out with a poster. “You guys could sign up for this,” she said unrolling the poster which read: Canterlot high musical showcase.

“That wouldn’t be a bad idea,” Rarity said.

“I think it would be amazing, and maybe we could even play one of my songs,” Fluttershy said excitedly and held up her notebook.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself Fluttershy,” Rainbow immediately replied. Fluttershy’s head drooped down in disappointment, but then Pinkie put a hand around her waist and pulled her close.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll play one of your songs soon enough,” Pinkie said with a reassuring smile.

“You think so?” Fluttershy asked perking up slightly.

“I know so,” Pinkie replied placing a kiss on her forehead. Sunset saw this display of affection and smiled, At least someone will get their happily ever after, she thought to herself.

“Well I guess I’ll sign us up for it tomorrow since this is my ba-” Rainbow attempted to say when she was suddenly hit full force by a book emerging from the portal. She went down immediately.

“You deserved that,” Applejack said smugly and picked the book up off the ground. “It’s from Twilight, for you Sunset,” she added handing the book and letter to Sunset.

“Really? That girl really is amazing isn’t she,” Sunset said in amazement. She opened the letter.

“So what does it say?” Pinkie asked being incredibly nosey.

“It’s personal Pinkie she’ll tell us if she wants to,” Fluttershy said and pulled Pinkie back towards her.

The letter read: Sunset, Happy Birthday I hope, I don’t know when this will actually reach you or if it will at all but I just wanted to say that I like you too, and no matter what a piece of you will always be with me, unfortunately this might be the last time that I’m able to contact you since the tether will become too weak to actually pass anything else through it. I miss you so much but I won’t give up trying to find a way. Always yours, Twilight Sparkle.

P.S I left a surprise in the back of the book, I hope you like it.

Sunset turned to the last page of the book and found a golden ring there that was engraved with her initials. Sunset looked at the letter again and put the ring on. Tears started to roll down her cheeks now. “She’ll never know that I got it, what was the point, I can’t send anything back and now we’re out of communication,” Sunset said sitting down beside the portal and bringing her knees to her chin. Rarity sat down beside her and brought her into a hug.

“She took a chance, darling. She wanted so badly to tell you how she felt she took even the slimmest chance that she could get through to you,” Rarity said. “Show me the ring for a second,” Rarity said and Sunset put the ring in front of Rarity. Rarity put the ring in front of Sunset and pointed towards the initials. “She did all this for you not even knowing if it would work, I’d think that that’s love right there and although you can’t communicate with her she’ll always be with you right here,” She added and pointed at Sunsets heart.

“Thanks, Rarity. Thanks all of you, for everything,” Sunset said wiping the tears out of her eyes.

“Hey, it’s what we do,” Rainbow said while rubbing the back of her. “Well mainly me but…” She tried to add.

“Do you want another book thrown at you?” Rarity asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“I think I’ll pass, whoever threw that book had quite the arm… Reminds me of me,” Rainbow said while standing up.

“That’s it, somebody find me a book!” Rarity said in a sarcastic tone. The group burst into laughter.

Twilight sat in the infirmary beside Cadence. “I’m so sorry, Cadence I was careless and I should have focused more,” Twilight pleaded to the unconscious princess.

“I swear if I have to hear you apologize one more time Twilight Sparkle, I don’t know what I’ll do,” Cadence replied in a weak tone.

“Cadence!” Twilight screamed with relief, she threw her hooves around her sister in law and gave her a hug.

“It’s ok, Twilight I’m not going anywhere,” Cadence replied returning the hug.

“I’m so sorry,” Twilight said burying her head in Cadences-shoulder.

“I agreed to do it, I understand full well what you're going through, and it tears my heart apart… Who ever thought that the princess of love couldn’t help someone achieve theirs. It should be me apologizing,” Cadence replied stroking Twilights-mane gently.

“I really hope that the present reached her,” Twilight whispered.

“What does your heart tell you?” Cadence replied using the same line as before.

“Yes,” Twilight said with a smile growing on her face.

“I want you to ask yourself that question whenever you're feeling uncertain about Sunset. Because I know full well what the answer is going to be,” Cadence stated with certainty in her voice.

“Thanks, Cadence, I’ll remember that,” Twilight replied. “I’m feeling better now, although I still feel bad about putting you and Rarity in danger like that,” Twilight said with regret in her voice again.

“We volunteered remember, never doubt your friends or me when it comes to your happiness… We’ll never let you down,” Cadence replied with a sincerity in her voice that eased Twilights mind.

“Thanks, Cadence,” Twilight said and released her sister in law from the hug.

“Anytime,” Cadence replied as she yawned and her eyes closed slowly and soon she was asleep. Twilight stayed there the whole night watching over Cadence and thinking of the present she sent Sunset. I think she’s going to love the ring, Twilight thought as she pulled out one of her Daring Do books and opened it up to the where she had left off.