• Published 18th May 2015
  • 2,622 Views, 124 Comments

Princess of Shadows, Darkness, and Light - jwizard



The rumors of a kingdom that Luna had made before her fall to Nightmare Moon have persisted; but what if said rumors were true? What if there WAS another kingdom, one that existed on the moon?

  • ...
9
 124
 2,622

Chapter Nine: Preparing for the Celebration

Equestria, Canterlot Castle, 06-08-05, 12:49 P.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


Celestia looked at the group of ponies that was sitting around the table in her private dining room, a quiet smile on her muzzle. All of Twilight’s friends had joined them for lunch. Though there were a few tense moments in the beginning, all it took was a look from Twilight to silence whatever objections her friends might of had.

With all of the recent troubles that had occurred, Celestia was pleased to see the smiles that were on the snouts of the mares that had done so much for Equestria. These six ponies not only represented the very best of the powers of Harmony itself, but were prime examples of the very best of the ponies Celestia had worked so hard to protect.

Celestia sighed a little, relieved that she had still managed to do the best she could even in the grip of her pride. In fact, she was aware that only one or two actions were ever undertaken purely out of pride. Everything else she had done had other reasons, which had been her primary motivation at the time.

<Twilight was correct; even in the midst of your pride, you still wanted the best for your ponies. That is the nature of those creatures; they cannot truly affect those that have the best of intentions. You were never a full slave to your pride, any more than Luna was to her envy,> the voice of Solaris whispered softly.

Celestia shook her head of such maudlin thoughts. She really needed to stop dwelling on the past; there were other things that were more important. She paid closer attention to the conversation that was currently going on between the Bearers.

“...and I still find it a bit shocking that a member of your own family would vote against you in such a fashion,” Rarity was saying. “I mean, Lord Dash always struck me as an intelligent stallion. He had to know that backing such an illegal vote would work against him.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. The others looked at her in confusion. “That’s because he was working with the Junior Council on this. Glorious Sunrise is only Clear Mind’s successor because she was named to that position. She’s actually a member of my own house by both blood and marriage.” She scowled. “Internal family politics has kept her family on the down low because they’re not pegasi. And that’s gonna change now that Sunrise is where she’s at.”

“Uh, if it’s family tradition, I’m not sure how it’ll change sugarcube,” Applejack said sadly. “The Oranges were booted out of the top spot in mah family a couple of centuries ago for marrying outside our tribe.” The other ponies looked shocked at this. “Yeah, it’s one of the reasons why mah brother has never taken Grandpa Apple’s position; Granny Smith Apple didn’t think it was fair to block a family just because of who they married, and he agrees wit’ her.” Applejack frowned. “Ah know how the Houses can be sugarcube. Even getting the top spot isn’t gonna change that.”

“Yeah, but my being an alicorn changes that. One of the last things my ancestor set up was a house law that states that any descendant pegacorn born will become head of the house.” Rainbow scratched the back of her head ruefully. “That’s likely one of the reasons why I was so afraid when I started to change. I’m just a simple stunt-pony; I was never slated to take Grandpa Prism’s place.” She facehoofed when she realized what she said. “Ugh, I still can’t help but think of myself as I once was, rather than what I am now.” She gestured at the horn on her head to elaborate.

Luna chuckled at that. “It’s quite common actually. It took me a couple of decades to get used to thinking like an alicorn, rather than the unicorn I was born as.” She looked thoughtful for a moment. “Your upcoming coronation may help with that; acknowledgement of your alicorn nature will help with the transition.” Luna grinned at the look of shock that appeared on Rainbow’s muzzle.

“No. Nope. No way. Not happening. I’m not having one,” Rainbow said repeatedly. Twilight chuckled. “What’s so funny egghead?”

“Oh, nothing; you just sound like somepony else I know, that’s all,” the purple alicorn said, still chuckling at her marefriend’s antics. The other mares at the table chuckled as well.

“Rainbow darling, you must know that there’s no getting out of it,” Rarity said after a bit. “I would think that you of all ponies would be happy to get such accolades.” The fashionista’s eyes started to get dewy as she thought of the romantic ruminations. Rainbow’s next statement halted her imaginings.

“It’s not the same thing as being Best Young Flyer or being in the Wonderbolts, Rares,” the cyan alicorn said. “Those are for things I’ve accomplished, and not for something I have no control over.” She huffed in aggravation. “Hay, I don’t even think that qualifies as to why I don’t want this; normally I’d love to get in front of ponies to strut my stuff.”

Cadance spoke up at that point. “It’s part of the pegacorn nature Princess Rainbow,” the pink alicorn said. “We tend to be very private individuals, and don’t like it when we’re placed on a pedestal.” She chuckled. “You remind me of my own coronation; I fought with Auntie Celestia for three weeks before I was willing to go along with it.”

“But I’m not even an Equestrian princess; having one here makes no sense whatsoever,” Rainbow moaned. “I could see having one in my own Realm, but why have it here?”

Twilight just looked at Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow, your kingdom is as much a part of Equestria as Cadance’s is.” She placed a hoof on Rainbow’s withers. “I know how you feel, believe me. But it’s not just acknowledgement of your alicorn status that this involves.” Twilight looked at Celestia as she said the last part.

“Indeed, Princess Rainbow. You are the Alicorn of the Light. Such a thing will help to bring hope to the ponies of Equestria, especially concerning the recent actions of the High Council.” Celestia smiled, a twinkle in her eyes. “It will also be good for those who have had faith in Serenity to see the embodiment of said faith.” She then frowned. “Not that such worship is ever comfortable.” She sighed before continuing. “Rainbow Dash, we alicorns all know and understand what you’re currently going through. A coronation may not be something you desire, yet it’s not something we can ignore.” She slapped the table with her hoof. “I can no longer afford to hide things from my ponies. Especially if it’s something that can be used against them.”

Rainbow scowled. “So my personal feelings have no bearing on this?” she griped. She then looked at the expression on her marefriend’s muzzle. “I’m sorry Twi, but this isn’t what I was looking for at all. Isn’t there any way I can get out of it?”

Twilight shook her head. “No Rainbow Dash, there isn’t. You need to realize something. A coronation will give you a certain level of autonomy in your actions. Unless you relish the idea of a detachment of very visible Solar and Lunar Guards-ponies dogging your every step.”

“Huh? Why the hay would I have to put up with something like that?!” Rainbow yelped.

“Because without it, Princess Rainbow, you are relegated to the status of foreign royalty,” Luna spoke up before Twilight could respond. “As was once the case when Princess Angela first visited this land.” She snorted. “As much as it pains me to say this, there are still some laws that supersede our authority; the ones as to how foreign alicorns are treated are some of those laws.”

Rainbow frowned. “You mean there’s political stuff involved too?” She planted her snout into the table in frustration. “Ugh, this isn’t fair! I’m just an ordinary pony; why do I have to deal with all of this?!”

“Rainbow, I know you’re scared,” Fluttershy said quietly. “But everypony here will be there for you, every step of the way.” All of the others nodded at the shy pegasus’ words.

Rainbow Dash looked at the one pony that was more important to her than almost everything else. She saw the challenging twinkle in Twilight’s eyes, and realized that dealing with a coronation was only the first of many trials she would have to deal with as a princess.

“I still say this isn’t fair. But then again, it’s not fair to deny my ponies their right to celebrate.” Rainbow drew herself up before looking sternly at Rarity. “No frills; if I must wear a dress, there is to be NO frills.”

Rarity looked scandalized. The others laughed at the expression on her muzzle. After a bit, she joined in with them.

Talk then turned to other matters, as it would take more than one conversation to prepare for a coronation.


Lune, Kingdom of the Lost, 06-08-05, 12:49 P.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


Nightingale looked at her Seneschal in shock, not for a minute believing what she had heard. “You aren’t seriously suggesting that a celebration of a princess not even present is a good thing for our kingdom, are you?” Her words were in a tone of disbelief and anger.

The elderly earth pony nodded, a severe frown on his muzzle. “Your Highness, this kingdom needs something to celebrate, what with the continual attacks on the weakening Rift.” Lord Bright Harvest continued to stare down his Princess; his down-to-equus demeanor was the major reason that she had picked him from a list of over fifty candidates sixty-five years ago. At ninety-four, he had served long enough to be able to spend the remainder of his expected one hundred fifty years caring for his large family. Telling that to the irascible stallion was something that Nightingale refused to do however, as the only worthy replacement couldn’t serve due to her pegacorn nature.

Nightingale shook her head to get her wandering mind back on track. “Lord Harvest, you remain one of the few nobles I trust implicitly, not the least reason being that I used to powder your rump; however, I’m trying real hard to keep our friendship in mind in the face of such an asinine suggestion.” The dark purple alicorn stomped a hoof in emphasis. “My dislike of celebrations aside, I don’t see how celebrating the Alicorn of Light is going to bring any sense of happiness to our ponies. Aside from the admittedly large group that worships Serenity that is.”

Nightingale paused, wrinkling her snout in aggravation as a thought occurred to her. “This isn’t some kind of unofficial way to get me to greenlight kingdom funds for a religious celebration is it? Because if it is, you can tell those of your flock that the answer is a resounding no, as it was the last three times they tried to trick me!”

Harvest snorted in amusement. “Oh I’m certain that has something to do with why they’re pressuring for this, at least as far as getting reimbursed is concerned.” The stallion frowned. “However, I’ve made it plain to them that I’m not willing to convince you to favor one religious group over another.” The stallion sighed. “I have two major reasons as to why I think this is a good idea.”

Nightingale looked at the stallion she had essentially raised in irritation. “Bright Harvest, you of all ponies should know my aversion to celebrations. This kingdom does not have the time nor the funds to spend on frivolous displays. Especially since the Rift is failing! What in Harmony’s name could be a good enough reason to plan a kingdom-wide celebration?!”

“To inspire hope, Nightingale,” the stallion barked back in a severely annoyed tone. “Our kingdom has had precious little to celebrate, what with the Council’s actions over the centuries.” Harvest frowned at his sovereign. “Your own dislike of celebrations aside, you have to see the merit in this.”

The stallion pointed at the scrolls he had brought with him. “Fully two-thirds of this kingdom’s ponies worship one or more of the Essences as a body; a third of that alone are devotees of Serenity. They need a chance to let their manes down; a chance to forget their troubles.” Seeing the obstinate look on Nightingale’s muzzle, Harvest sighed exasperatedly.

“And what is your second reason my Lord? Because while I grant you that there are merits to that argument, such things could still be held privately, and should.” Nightingale snorted at that image. “A frivolous excuse for debauchery and drunkenness, causing yet more problems for the Moon Guard when such things are done to excess, yet they still have that right at least.”

Harvest frowned, knowing Nightingale would like this reason even less. “The second reason, Princess, is that approving such a celebration that is obviously what your subjects wants is a great way to improve your standing.” He stomped a hoof in frustration. “This is part of the damage control I’ve been trying to do since you yet again Sealed the Moon Council.”

Nightingale scowled. “Damage control? I Sealed the Council to stop the damage that they were doing to this kingdom’s defenses, as they proved susceptible to the Dark One’s influence yet again. How exactly is coercing me into holding a kingdom-wide celebration supposed to provide damage control?”

Harvest sighed in frustration. “I tried to warn you that there would be a chance this would happen; I tried to get you to find other means to deal with the corruption in the Council years ago, instead of the immensely unpopular method of Sealing that you continue to employ.” Harvest looked at his monarch with a stern frown. “The common pony is once again looking at your actions against the Council, and many are wondering just when the axe of judgement is going to come down on them.”

Nightingale looked shocked. “Why would they think that? I only ever do that to protect this kingdom; it’s all I’ve ever done. Why would they think that I would be coming for them next?”

Harvest rolled his eyes. “For all that I know you love them Princess, I’m not sure you really understand those who live in this kingdom.” He snorted. “It’s stupid, but every time you Seal the Moon Council away, the common pony sees it as an unwanted act of a totalitarian state.” He snorted in aggravation. “It’s silly for them to think that way, as they’ve been complaining since the last time that the Seal was undone about the Council’s actions. Yet they still do.”

Nightingale looked at Harvest. “This is truly something they wish, am I correct?” The stallion nodded. The alicorn sighed as she walked towards the window. “I shouldn’t allow my own distaste for celebrations and the like effect this kingdom. You are right in that this kingdom has had precious little to celebrate in a very long time, and this is something that affects them.”

Nightingale turned back to Harvest, her gaze stern. “I will declare an official Celebration of the Alicorn of Light in two days time; that should give them the time they need to prepare. Minimum shifts should be maintained; Captain Gaze should have a rotation for you.” She sighed. “And it looks like I will have to wear a frilly dress yet again; that’s not something a soldier should wear,” she grumbled. Harvest chuckled.

Before he walked away, Nightingale called him back. “Take the funds earmarked for the Moon Council to pay for it; it’s currently not in use.” His smirk matched hers as he bowed before leaving to carry out her orders.

Nightingale sighed before making her way to her dressing room, to be fitted for the thing that she considered Most Evil.

A frilly dress.


Equestria, Canterlot Castle, 06-09-05, 10:19 A.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


”I said no frills!”

Had the shout that came from one of the many royal powder rooms of Canterlot been any louder, it would have shattered windows. As it was, the shout did cause the mares surrounding a certain cyan alicorn to cringe in pain as their eardrums rang.

Princess Rainbow Dash cringed in abject horror at the nightmarishly frilly dress that they were attempting to place on her. One of the seamstresses- a unicorn -was projecting a flame-cancelling spell around the dress she spent hours on, as Rainbow’s horn sparked every time they tried. So far, the fitting had gone on for over an hour, as Rainbow continued to cast a Keep Away spell.

“Your Highness, this is a traditional coronation dress, based off the same one that Princess Twilight wore at hers,” one of the seamstresses- this one a pegasus -said in conciliatory tones. “I know it looks frilly and girly, but it’s an expected dress.”

“I am not wearing anything with frills, and most certainly not anything related to that gaudy dress they foisted on Twilight,” the steaming mad alicorn said heatedly. “I don’t care if it’s traditional or not; I am not wearing something that looks like it will strangle me!”

A knock at the door interrupted whatever else the seamstresses would have said. The door opened up onto a familiar alabaster form, carrying a dress bag in her signature aura.

“Darling, I am sure you will be quite pleased at the work I’ve done on this dress..” Rarity trailed off as she got a good look at the monstrosity the seamstresses were trying to foist onto her friend. “What. Is. THAT?!” she said.

“This is a standard version of a traditional coronation dress for royalty,” the unicorn who made it said. “I followed the designs given to me by Hoity Toity himself, who happens to be one of the premiere dressmakers in Equestria.”

Rarity’s left eye began to twitch. “That dress is a monstrosity!” She said haughtily. “That looks like something that Suri Polomare would have designed.” Rarity saw the looks on the seamstresses muzzles. Her eye began to twitch far more rapidly. “It was, wasn’t it,” she said slowly, more of a statement then a question.

Rainbow Dash started to back up as much as she could; she knew what was coming. “And just who told you to contact Hoity Toity of all ponies? His reputation was solid until he got in bed with that whorse of a wannabe designer.”

The lead dressmaker huffed. “Both Hoity Toity and Suri Polomare are some of the best dressmakers in the fashion world. Who do you think you are criticizing her anyway?!”

“Suri Polomare is a cheat and a fraud. I’d bet my business license that THAT monstrosity isn’t even one of her designs. Not that she can design anyway, as everypony knows that she had no worthwhile designs before or after she got her former assistant Coco, who is a far better dressmaker and designer than most I’ve seen.”

“As to who I am, darling, it doesn’t take a Twilight Sparkle to figure out,” Rarity said, drawling out her customary phrase in a way that made it an epithet. “I’m only the most successful of dressmakers in Equestria, and a member of the Council of Friendship.”

“Now, I would appreciate it if you all GET OUT, AND LET ME FIT MY FRIEND WITH A PROPER GOWN! OUT!”

The seamstresses left; all but the unicorn who was still holding up the overly frilly gown. “I don’t see where you get off telling me what to do; this isn’t Ponyville, and what I say here goes. This is the dress that the Master of Ceremonies for all official Canterlot functions chose, and it will be the dress that will be worn.”

A flash of bright light lit up the room briefly. When their eyes cleared, the offending gown had vanished. “My dress!” the unicorn shrieked. “What did you do to my dress?!”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Oh, I sent it to the same place where Chrysalis imprisoned Twilight awhile back. If you want it, go find it.” She got into the muzzle of the seamstress. “Oh, and by the way, you’re fired, as is your boss. This is MY coronation, so I choose who I want as Master of Ceremonies. That’s Equestrian Law, little miss Priss.”

“We’ll see about that. I don’t care if your an alicorn or not, you have no power over me or my boss.” Priss Polomare stalked off in a huff.

Once the door closed, Rainbow sighed. “That went well,” she snarked.

Rarity facehoofed. “I’m truly sorry I wasn’t here sooner darling. In any case, shall we see if I got the measurements right?” Rainbow shrugged. She then gasped at the dress Rarity pulled out of the bag she had brought with her.

Though it was similar in some respects to the one that Twilight wore, its colors better matched her mane and coat. For all of that, it bore a strong resemblance to the dress that she had worn at Twilight's coronation. “Oh my gosh Rarity, that dress is awesome!” she squealed. She launched herself at the alabaster unicorn, giving her an uncharacteristically exuberant hug.

“Thank you darling. I must say, I’ve really outdone myself.” Working swiftly, she soon had Rainbow modeling her gown. “I would have made a hat to go along with it, but since you will be getting a crown based off your new Cutie Mark, I had to make some changes.”

“I absolutely love it,” Rainbow gushed. Rarity chuckled. “What? What did I say?”

“Oh, it’s nothing darling; I’m just glad that you’re comfortable enough around me to let your walls down.” Rarity smirked. “I know you’re somepony who likes girly things more than you let on. Don’t worry; I’ve been keeping that a secret.” Rainbow blushed.

The two mares continued to admire the beautiful gown before Rarity packed it away for the ceremony. They then made their way to the baths in the palace, Rainbow once more hiding her alicorn nature until they were alone.

For the next hour, Rarity primped and pampered her friend, bringing out the athletic beauty that had always been there in a way few had ever seen.

Rainbow Dash has never been one to allow herself to be pampered, Rarity thought to herself. So why is she allowing it now?

“Rainbow darling, don’t take this the wrong way, but why aren’t you fussy about all of this?” Rarity asked, her hoof waving at the medley of beauty-care products. “I mean, you’ve never struck me as the type to get into this sort of thing. If I’d known you were willing, I’d have asked you sooner instead of always asking either Fluttershy or Twilight.”

Rainbow looked at her friend, her face obscured by a hideous face mask. “I kinda wish you had a couple of times Rares,” she said, once again using Applejack’s nickname for the unicorn. “I mean, I’d have gone for the occasional massage, as long as nopony saw me entering.” Rainbow twiddled her hooves. “This all actually reminds me of some of the stuff me and my eldest sister used to do when I was a filly.”

Rarity blinked. “Then why did you put up a fuss about a frilly dress Rainbow?”

Rainbow sighed. “It goes back to flight school. I had to build up a rep to protect myself because of Grandpa Prism’s position.” Her hoof slapped the armrest of the lounging couch she was sitting in. “It wasn’t just protecting ‘Shy, though I felt the need to do that too. I endured a lot of teasing both because of Grampa, and because of the whole ‘Rainbow Pride’ horseapples.” Rainbow sighed again. “So I swore off the girl stuff, at least in public.”

“Now it doesn’t matter so much. I’m still not one to admit to liking dresses in public, but next to the secret I’m currently sitting on, that’s pretty tame.” Rainbow gestured to the mask she was wearing. “Can I take this off now Rares? It’s itching something fierce.

Rarity looked at the water clock on the wall. “Yes darling; it’s been long enough anyway.”

As Rainbow Dash and Rarity cleansed their faces of the remainder of the beauty masks, there was a knock on the door. Rarity went and opened it just a smidgen, then opened it wider as she saw who it was.

Twilight, Luna, and Celestia’s Seneschal all walked into the parlor, stern looks on their muzzles. Twilight and the Seneschal were both carrying scrolls with the official Seal of Equestria on them. “Sorry to interrupt girls, but we have a rather serious issue on our hooves,” Twilight said. She stopped as she got a closer look at Rainbow Dash, staring at the image of athletic beauty standing before her.

Twilight shook off her momentary distraction, then rolled her eyes at the smirk Rainbow had on her muzzle. “Now’s not the time Rainbow; both Priss Polomare and Quiet Gaze are in bits over their apparent dismissals. They’ve called for a counter-suit against you.”

Rainbow’s smirk grew into a shark’s grin. “So what? It’s not like they can do anything about it. I only followed Equestrian law; who my Master of Ceremony is is up to me, and not something the Royal House has any say over.”

“You still have to give a reason other than irritation at the dress as a reason for said dismissal Rainbow Dash,” the midnight-blue alicorn next to her said reprovingly. “The Master of Ceremonies that you so ingloriously ‘kicked to the curb’ has been a member of the Royal House since before all present save myself was born.” Luna frowned. “Not that that is a good thing, as he’s as hidebound as any I’ve had the misfortune to deal with.”

Luna gestured to the seneschal. “Fortunately, his own words when appointing Miss Polomare were and are enough for his dismissal. I just need your reasoning for hers,” the pegasus said.

Rainbow scowled. “Only her dual insult of not accepting my refusal of the dress that she was attempting to make me wear, and her idiocy of thinking she could weave breathing-restrictive fabric into the dress without me noticing.” Rarity looked up at that.

“Are you serious?! What under Celestia’s Sun could possibly convince her to do something like that?!” the fashionista yelped. Rainbow facehoofed.

“Rares, you didn’t notice the layered spells that were on that dress? It would have looked to everypony else like the dress I wore at Twi’s coronation once the spell was triggered,” Rainbow said matter-of-factly. “I wouldn’t have objected as hard if it wasn’t for the fact that the chief seamstress had the surname of Polomare.”

“Rainbow Dash, her actions notwithstanding, I wouldn’t have thought one such as you would be willing to discriminate against somepony just because of their family,” Rarity said severely, getting over her shock at the apparent set-up. Twilight snorted at that.

“Rainbow Dash and I ran into some of the Polomare Family in Mareago, where they tried to get her framed for a combination of industrial espionage and sabotage,” the purple alicorn said in response. “They had plans to discredit each one of us Element Bearers.” She sighed. “Granted, neither one of the two youngest members were involved in any of those plans. What we did discover is that the Polomare line is actually what is left of The Mareago Crime Syndicate. Every single one of that family are taught how to lie, cheat, and steal from a very young age. And how to do so while incorporating their unique talent.”


Rarity huffed. “Well, as true as that is or not, I still say it’s unfair to judge based on what their family may or may have done before.”

Both Rainbow Dash and Twilight facehoofed at that. “Rarity, we found evidence that Suri and Hoity Toity were involved in the illegal trafficking of stolen Saddle Arabian silk,” Twilight said. “It’s especially good for disguising certain kinds of enchantments. And that dress that young Priss tried to foist onto Rainbow was made out of silk from one of the last shipments that were stolen. A shipment that has yet to turn up.”

“The only reason she’s only getting fired instead of arrested for attempted murder and treason is that it’s likely she was coerced,” Rainbow said as she signed the documents the noble-pony presented her. “If it weren’t for Serenity, I’d have gone as far as the law allows me.”

Rarity sighed. “I do understand that she had asked for a great deal of what had happened to her, but still, her family doesn’t make her a bad pony.”

“Certes, Dame Rarity has the right of it,” Luna said. “Reprehensible as their actions are, they are not bad ponies; just ponies that have done bad things.”

Rainbow shook her head at that, having finished signing all of the documents. She took a few moments to straighten the coat-and-mane care products sitting on the vanity next to her to organize her next thoughts.

“Would you please inform Princess Celestia that I wish to speak with her about tomorrow?” Rainbow asked the noble-pony. The mare nodded, then left. Rainbow turned back to her friends.

“I don’t know how much of this is true or not, given the source,” Rainbow Dash said at length, “but I say that the Polomare family, as one of the Five Families, is one of those few that can be considered to be bad ponies. Outside of the current generation, which is both too stupid and too cowardly to get their hooves dirty, that family has been involved in some really bad things.”

Rainbow held up a hoof to mark off each point. “Pony-napping, extortion, racketeering, international terrorism, trafficking in sex slaves, bribery; the list goes on.” Rainbow stomped a hoof for emphasis. “They were even peripherally involved on the three attempts on mine and Twilight’s lives when we first started our journey in Hoofington.”

Luna frowned. “These are some serious actions. Which is why many of the prior generation are either Exiles or have been petrified.” Her frown deepened. “However, doing bad deeds does not make one good or bad; one has to give themselves fully over to That-Which-Hides-In-The-Dark.”

“That’s just it LuLu; many of the past generations Swore binding Oaths to the False Heart to guarantee their fortunes,” Rainbow said in response. “Now I’m not sure how much of that’s true, as it was a twisted Shade that told me. What little evidence we gathered before making the top of Mount Everfest bears it out though, at least a little.”

Luna’s expression grew severe. “Thou meanest those six natures that run counter to the Elements of Harmony, correct?” Rainbow Dash nodded. “This Shade you speak of may have been both correct, and was trying to cast doubt.”

Rainbow smirked at that. “Oh, it tried. Not that I was listening. By that point, I had already Bonded with Loyalty enough that none of its words had the desired effect on me. I do get though that it wasn’t lying exactly. I know that the snake-bellied bastard dealt with twisted truths. He wouldn’t have conquered the Crystal Empire without that ability.”

“Wait, are you saying that you faced Sombra again?!” Rarity exclaimed. “I thought the Heart banished him!”

Luna shook her head. “Twas only a partial banishment; once he fully manifested, it was enough to send him back to Tartarus.” She frowned. “It seems however, that parts of him remained outside.”

Twilight nodded at that. “Yes, his Shades. A large one attacked me before Rainbow came back.” Twilight shuddered at the memory. Rainbow hugged her, knowing that it still hurt.

Rarity smiled at their obvious bond. “It seems as though you two went through a lot on your journey,” she said.

The two alicorns blushed a little as they ended their hug. “Yeah, we did. Even though it was hard, I wouldn’t change a thing.” Rainbow then kissed Twilight’s left cheek, causing a bright blush to appear on the purple mare’s snout.

“Certes, thou art certainly made for each other,” Luna said, smiling. She then sighed. “Welladay, I’m off; I need to find a certain Centurion; she owes me a debriefing.” Luna hugged each pony, then walked off. Before the door closed, she said one last thing to Rainbow. “Princess Rainbow, worry not overmuch about the ceremony on the morrow; it will go better for you.” The door closed as the midnight alicorn walked off.

Rarity shook her mane out. “Well, I think I’m going to make my way to the dining room. Care to join me girls?”

Rainbow shook her head. “I got a few things I still need to talk to Celly about. Nothing real serious; I just need to make sure that the changes we discussed go through.”

“Rainbow Dash, Luna just told you not to worry,” Twilight scolded. Rainbow just gave her a narrow-eyed look. “Ugh, I know, I know; that’s a case of the swan calling the duck a water fowl. Well, I’m hungry, so meet me and Rarity in the dining hall when you’re done, okay?” Rainbow nodded. The two shared a quick kiss before parting ways, Twilight following their alabaster friend- and her nose -to food.

Rainbow made her way to talk to Celestia, one that was going to involve more than just a discussion about her upcoming coronation.


A few minutes later, Rainbow Dash was waiting- with some impatience -for Princess Celestia to get finished with the pro-tem Archmage of the Mage’s Council.

While becoming an alicorn had settled the nervous fidgets that plagued Rainbow-as like most pegasi -somewhat, it only extended to when she was tapping into either her pure alicorn nature or her earth pony mana. Outside of that, she still had trouble with waiting patiently when not flying.

Rainbow wasn’t looking forward to the next day at all. No matter how much her original career path was one in front of an audience, she didn’t relish the idea of being crowned. Getting ‘rewarded’ for something she now was other than something she did was just wrong. And that’s what bothers both me and Twilight; we’re getting all of this unwanted attention and these new jobs because of a random roll of the genetic dice. We got lucky; if you call becoming a near-immortal cosmic being lucky.

<But child, you did do something to deserve this,> the soft voice of Serenity spoke into her mind. <Creatures of selfishness never become alicorns; you must be willing to embrace all of what it means to be a pony to do so. That is what this is for, and Celly knows this, better than most.>

<Thanks Serenity; you always know just what to say,> Rainbow said in return. She felt the gentle presence tickle her mind, showing off Serenity’s mischievous side. She buffeted the Essence of Light in return; both giggled at that.

Further teasing was cut short by Celestia’s arrival. “Princess Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry that took so long,” the alabaster alicorn said. “There were things that I needed to discuss with them concerning the transfer of power you will be receiving tomorrow.”

Rainbow sighed. “Celly, I get that you might feel some need for reparations, but I don’t need any kind of authority,” she said. “I already have enough on my plate as it is with my own realm.”

Celestia moved closer to the polychromatic-maned alicorn. “This has very little to do with ‘reparations’, I assure you Rainbow,” she said, a small smile on her muzzle. “Though you are right to mention that. I do owe you and your friends more than just apologies concerning my actions with Twilight’s ascension. Tomorrow has little to do with that however.”

Sighing, the sun alicorn looked out the window. “If I do not give you some kind of power, you will be regulated to the same role that Cadance once performed. I swore to myself that I would never allow that to happen again. If I hadn’t recognized- and had already planned -to have Twilight fulfill the role of Princess of Friendship, she would have faced the same fate.” Celestia blushed a little. “That was perhaps the only time my actions had very little to do with pride; the only other one I can think of is taking Twilight on as my student to begin with. I had sworn after Sunset that I would never take another.”

Rainbow frowned. “I get that princess; I’m just not comfortable with it.” She turned to look out the window as well. “I do think that giving me some military duties is a great idea; I just don’t have any kind of military experience.”

Celestia chuckled. “Rainbow Dash, if true military experience were the only measure I look for in commanders, then there wouldn’t be a Royal Guard.Twilight’s brother had only one tour of the Badlands before becoming Captain.” She looked at her fellow alicorn. “No, you have just what is needed. A regal bearing, and a militaristic attitude that Twilight and Cadance both lack. Plus, you are a known quandary; you will be better able to command respect among the hot-headed young flyers in the PPP.”

Rainbow frowned confusedly. “PPP?” She then facehoofed. “Oh, the Protective Pony Platoons.” Her confused look deepened. “I know that the Wonderbolts were formed out of the pegasi branch, but I thought the PPP was disbanded after the situation me and Twilight dealt with in Mareago.”

Celestia shook her head. “No, I have the PPP in reserve in various fortresses around Equestria. A good portion are stationed at the border between the Badlands and the Southern Wastes to guard against potential invasion. The rogue changeling hives are even more of a threat now that Chrysalis is dead.” Celestia’s muzzle twisted in real anger briefly at the mention of Chrysalis. "I believe you are referring to the Equestrian Guard; and you are correct in that they have been completely disbanded following the evidence that they were behind an attempted coup."

“In any case, having you as an actual instructor can only be a benefit, as I’d like to see the Wonderbolts actually serve a purpose beyond airshows. Past actions have shown me that the way they’re directed now is a waste.” Celestia then looked at Rainbow again. “I can see that there’s more; you’re not as worried about these new duties as you have said.” Rainbow Dash nodded.

“Yeah, there’s more, though I’m just the messenger,” Rainbow replied enigmatically. Before Celestia could question what she meant by that, there was a brilliant flash of light from the alicorn next to her. With this, both alicorns vanished; all that was left behind was a rolled-up scroll tied with an azure ribbon, left to ensure that there wouldn’t be a panic.

Naturally, there would be one anyway; such is the nature of the Canterlot Castle staff.


As the spots cleared from Celestia’s eyes, she gazed in wonder at the world she now saw herself in. It seemed familiar, and yet she was certain that she had never been here before in her many long years of life. She knew where it was though; the fabled Realm of Light.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” the pony standing next to her said. Celestia looked down to see a smirking Rainbow Dash. “Huh, I would have thought that I’d need to be alive longer to pull a fast one on the Alicorn of the Sun,” she snarked.

Celestia wanted to roll her eyes; Rainbow Dash was known to have just as much of a mischievous streak as Luna. “I trust that there was a real reason you teleported the both of us to your Realm?” She frowned. “Yourself I can see; I’m not clear as to how you were able to bring me along as well.”

Rainbow’s smirk grew. “Oh, I have my ways,” she said. She then laughed at the long-suffering expression on the princess’ muzzle. “Oh jeepers, Serenity’s right; you really need to learn to let your mane down every once and awhile Celly.” She pointed behind them; Celestia looked and saw a filament of light behind them, one that led back to Canterlot Castle.

Another one to the side showed Ponyville. Still another led to a place she had long thought to have been lost. “Does that one lead to Roam?” Celestia asked in disbelief, her annoyance vanishing in place of her shock.

Rainbow shrugged. “It would for you; the Path of Light is different for everypony who has ever been here.” She started walking to a nearby dais. She sat down on the diminutive throne and motioned for Celestia to join her. Bemusedly, the elder alicorn did so after a moment.

Once she sat down next to Rainbow Dash, Celestia was able to see several beams of light surrounding the dais. Off in the distance stood a ruined castle keep. The sky above was a kaleidoscope of colors, far more than she was used to seeing.

“I couldn’t tell you where all of those Paths go. What ones you see lead to places you’ve been that are important to you, just as the ones that I’ve seen do the same.” Rainbow pointed at the one that led to Ponyville. “Like that one; I’m sure that the only reason why you can see that it goes to Ponyville is because that’s where Twilight lives now.”

Celestia looked closer at the shimmering veils. “Where does the one in the center lead to? It seems as though I’ve seen something like that before,” she said in a soft voice.

Rainbow Dash smiled softly. “That one leads to the Temporal Plane of Destiny. And you have been there before; well, at least the upper part of it.” Seeing the look of confusion on Celestia’s muzzle, Rainbow chuckled. “Celly, you pass through the upper part every time you teleport someplace.

A look of dawning awareness appeared on Celestia’s muzzle. “Wait, that is the Plane of Ascension, is it not?”

Rainbow Dash nodded, still smirking. “Yep. It’s one of my favorite places.”

Celestia smiled at this. “I’m sure it is; it is special to all alicorns after all.”

Rainbow’s smile faded. “Yeah, well, it’s not all ‘sunshine and rainbows’, especially where I was when I finally ascended.”

Celestia frowned. “I’ve never ventured into the lower parts; Angela warned me away from them. I would have ignored it if Solaris hadn’t agreed with her.”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, they’re all a mess right now. Not that this part of the Realm is any better,” she said sadly.

Celestia looked at her. “How did it get so bad here?”

“A war,” Rainbow snarled, her muzzle twisting into a look of rage. “A certain stallion that I’m sure you’re familiar with fought the ‘Dark One’ here for the majority of their battle. And the Children of Light were the ones that suffered the most for his actions.”

The sky above began to boil in response to Rainbow Dash’s anger. Celestia frowned reprovingly. “Rainbow Dash, if you are speaking about Star Swirl the Bearded, then at least show some respect. He is not here to defend himself, after all.” She placed her hoof on the cyan alicorn’s shoulder. “I know it’s hard; I have my own anger issues with his actions as well.”

Rainbow just looked at her. “Celly, I get that whole ‘respect the dead’ bit. I really do. But cursing his actions says nothing about respect. I have no feelings about him personally; I just feel that it’s totally unfair that two civilizations were lost because of his actions.”

Celestia sighed. “Yes, that’s unfortunate. I just wish I knew more of what went on; I’m little prepared for the future now than I was before. And it’s frustrating to know that he kept so much from me.”

“Yeah, you’re not alone there; Twi was griping about the horseapples he pulled almost the whole journey.” Rainbow sighed. “He did help in his own way. At least, it seemed like his help.” Rainbow shook her head to redirect her thoughts. “Anyway, I didn’t bring us all the way to a Sealed Realm to talk about the past.”

Rainbow Dash pointed her hoof at the veil in front of them. Three nimbus of light flew from it, coming to rest in front of the alicorns. The light within and without each one was similar, yet at the same time different.

The one in the center was immediately familiar to Celestia; it possessed the same yellow-white glow that Sol gave off, though there were darker parts flittering through it. Celestia frowned at that. The one on the immediate left radiated hues of color too fast to detect. It too bore the touch of familiarity to the solar alicorn.

However, the one on the left, while still bright, was noticeably different than the other two. It was all in darker hues of purple, orange, and blue. Oddly, it reminded her of the comfortable feeling she had sitting under the shade of the old apple tree on her family’s farm ages ago.

The orbs coalesced as she finished examining them. Gasping, Celestia recognized the ‘filly’ in the center. “Solaris?!” she cried out, her voice much higher than usual.

The Essence of Sol smiled an impish smile at that. “Hello princess; I am glad you remembered me,” she said, a merry twinkle in her eye. “It has been over one thousand years since we twain have met in the flesh.”

Solaris rolled her eyes at the throat-clearing next to her. “Yes, yes, I know. Celestia, allow me to formally introduce my sisters; Serenity,” here the multicolored-maned filly bowed, “and Dusk.” The filly on her left curtsied demurely.

“You have met me before,” the darkly colored pony said in a quiet voice. “Though I was unable to fully manifest at the time.” She then turned her gaze to Rainbow Dash. “That may or may not change in the future.”

“That remains to be seen,” Solaris said severely. “You and the others may be assured of her seriousness, but I remain skeptical.”

Serenity backed away fully to stand next to Rainbow Dash. “Solaris, it is not fair to judge all ponies of a family line simply because of the actions of their progenitor. Else we would have to damn the entirety of the pony race for the actions of the first pegacorns.”

“Sisters, stop!” Dusk shouted. “Now is neither the time nor the place! We are here for a crowning, not an argument.” Seeing the obstinate look on Solaris’ muzzle, Dusk’s patience snapped. “Enough Solaris! Either commence with the ceremony, or I will call on Hope instead.”

Solaris snorted. “As if that is going to make any kind of difference,” she snarled. “Hope is as mortal as they are now.” Turning to Serenity, Solaris made to defend her opinion. “Her clan has long proven to be impetuous and impatient, she most of all. Or haven’t you noticed? She wouldn’t be an alicorn if she hadn’t made an impertinent decision that wasn’t hers to make.”

A crack across the sky resounded at that. Turning, the Essences saw that the Alicorn of Light had her wings spread. Eldritch light suffused her eyes. Her horn glowed in the colors of Life itself, though the glow wasn’t soft; rather, it was hard and unyielding.

“Essence of the Sun, you are here to crown a Guardian who has already accepted her role. Do not test Our patience, or We will place thine Sister before thou.”

Solaris’ eyes flashed at that. “Gaia, this is not your place. I am the one who decides which of those are worthy.” She pointed at Rainbow Dash. “The vessel whom you’re speaking through, instead of coming yourself, has proven herself barely capable.”

Solaris would have continued in that vein had she not been interrupted by a triple chime sounding. She paled in real fear as she gazed at Celestia.

The alabaster alicorn’s full radiance was revealed, as was the true nature of her petryal. “As much as I love you Solaris, I will not allow you to deny Princess Rainbow Dash her crown. She is no more worthy of it than I am of mine. I cannot allow you to make the same mistakes I have made.”

“This has nothing to do with you Celestia! I will not, and cannot let an untried youth of that family have Power over a key Realm!” Solaris would have said more, but a nimbus of scintillating light flew from the veil behind them.

This new aura coalesced into three more forms. Light suffused them; the companion radiance that Solaris shared suddenly left her. “What?! What is this?! I am an Essence; you have no Power over me in this fashion!”

“But they do Sister. For you and I were Born from that which was created to guide. The Three all have Power over the Guardian Essences.” As the voice faded, the nimbus of light took the form of Selene, the Essence of Lune.

Selene looked at her elder sister sadly. “Sister, Princess Rainbow Dash has nothing to do with the past actions of her family. Nor will she suffer the Curse that the Dark One infused into her bloodline. That was broken the day she first took up her Element.” She waved her hoof.

Bands of light flew around the filly, binding themselves to her hooves, barrel, and horn. She screeched in pain. “You would curse me with a mortal form?!” she screeched.

Selene looked sad. “I am only doing what is necessary. None of what has happened would have had you not guided your charge to the False Prophets.” She then made another gesture. A brilliant flash came from the veil behind the other two. When it cleared, Solaris was gone.

“I am sorry that this took so long,” Selene said sadly. “Solaris the Elder has been fighting against an Alicorn of Light since she and I first manifested. That’s why she Guided you towards the role you now play Celestia.”

Celestia frowned at that. “That, whatever-it-was, was not the Solaris I know and love,” she snapped, her patience finally ending. Selene nodded.

“The one you know is the Younger; she has no ability to manifest away from Sol itself. The Elder is still Sister to me, though she has long been angry at the ponies for what they have done. Our Sister has asked me to Crown young Rainbow Dash in her stead, as she is now occupied in the acceptance of her darker emotions.”

Seeing the looks of confusion on both Rainbow Dash and Celestia’s muzzles, Serenity made to explain. “Solaris and Selene are manifestations of the heavenly bodies that were once controlled by mortal creatures. Thus, they have many of the same problems with emotions that mortals have. Selene and Solaris had trouble accepting them at first; Selene eventually combined with her elder self. Solaris never did.”

“Yes, though the Elder has no Power over Sol itself, as she manifested a physical form. I can do both, though not on Equus’ surface. The Binding prevents it.”

Selene turned towards Rainbow Dash. Her eyes took on a glow. In a voice far different than what she had been using, she began the Ritual.

“Princess Rainbow Prism Dash, thou stand Before Us in the heart of the Realm Thou have Sworn to Protect. Dost thou wish to pass the Path thou art on to another more worthy?”

“No.”

“Dost thou consider thyself worthy of said Path?”

“Yes, I do.”

Selene smiled at that. She then continued. “Then in the Presence of my Sisters of Light and Shadow, in the Realm of Light, We hereby anoint thee Princess of the Aurora, and Alicorn of Light. Witnessed by the Alicorn of the Sun. Kneel, Princess Rainbow Dash, and accept thy Crown.”

Rainbow Dash knelt before the three Essences. The three touched their horns to the base of hers; with a flash, a prismatic crown appeared on her head, just behind her horn.

Another, much brighter flash of light came from her flanks. Her cutie mark now bore a new addition; a sword bearing the Crest of Serenity on its hilt stood behind the shield, blade pointed south. The thunderbolt in the center was now on top of a compass rose, signifying that she was a Guide to the Aurora.

Rainbow’s eyes glowed bright white as she was fully tied to the Realm she now truly watched over. As it did so, she lent her power to Celestia, who suddenly became aware of the cries of pain that Solaris was giving off. Together, the two broke the Dark Bindings that the Elder Essence had placed on her mind; ones that kept her true self from accepting the darker aspects.

With this, the hiding place of the Greater Demon of Pride was discovered. With a shout of anger, Rainbow Dash used the Power of the Heart of Harmony to Seal the Demon deep in the Plane of Chaos.

A screech of pain was heard from all directions. All the ponies present, alicorn and Essence alike, bent their ears back at the sonic assault.

Within a few moments, the fragmented sky gentled before returning to the gentle blue it had once been. The Light of the Aurora flashed overhead; where it touched, the land became fertile.

Fields of grass and trees sprung up everywhere. Within a very short time, what was once a barren world became rife with life. Out of the sky came flocks of birds, bringing with them small woodland animals.

Greater beasts came from the forests. All save the many ruins were restored as if it had never left.

The glow left Rainbow’s eyes as she looked on her restored Realm. She smiled sadly. “At least there’s something here for me to protect,” she said softly.

Horn glowing, Rainbow Dash centered the Aurora on the veil that led back to Canterlot Castle. Within a matter of moments, it became a sparkling gate. “Celly, you’re going to have to post Guards-ponies at the audience chamber we left from,” she said, a snarky grin on her muzzle. “Cause I just made it the first of many doors into my Realm.”

Celestia just sighed, facehoofing. The Essences laughed. They all took a moment to hug one another; this was a rare moment for the Essences, as they seldom got to commiserate with those that they were tied to.

Celestia took a look at the position of Sol and realized that far more time had passed than she’d been aware. “Princess Rainbow, I must return to the castle; I’ve been here far too long,” she said in alarm.

Rainbow looked at Sol’s position as well and yelped. “This was only supposed to take twenty minutes, tops, not three bucking hours! Chronos, you and I are going to have a few words when I get my hooves on you Mister!” Rainbow Dash shouted the last at the Aurora still hanging above them. A chuckle could be heard plainly, one that sounded vastly amused.

Rainbow galloped towards a nearby archway. Placing her horn along the side, she channeled her alicorn mana into it, changing it into an exact copy of the door leading to her balcony at her cloud home. She then flew back to land next to Celestia.

The Essences all returned to their travelling forms and flew off towards the Aurora while Celestia and Rainbow flew towards the new door near the dais in the center.

They managed to arrive back where they started just as the bedlam reached a fever pitch.


The last two hours had been utter bedlam.

When the minimalist note had been discovered, the entirety of the Castle staff- led by the relative of a recently-fired member of Celestia’s staff -raised a hue and cry.

Ponies were looking everywhere, frantically searching for both Celestia and Rainbow Dash. Luna was a no-show, and Twilight had retired to her and Rainbow’s shared quarters, sealing the door off. (She was in the process of preparing a special night for herself and her marefriend before the big day, and didn’t want to be bothered. By anyone.)

So it was little surprise when both Celestia and Rainbow Dash came out of a room that had been thoroughly searched three times.

“There she is! The traitorous false alicorn returns to the scene of her crime! Guards, arrest her!”

“Lord Blacktail, my Guards will do nothing of the sort,” Celestia’s Captain of the Guard said heatedly. “First and foremost, you have no authority over my Guards; they’re only helping to keep this blasted bedlam from turning into utter Chaos!”

The angry noble-pony got into the Guard-stallion’s muzzle. “I am a noble of Equestria’s Royal Family!” he screeched. “In a time of emergency, authority over the Guard dissolves to myself and the other nobles. And you will do your duty sir!”

“Make me,” the unicorn replied coldly. The other stallions present surrounded him, pointing their spears at his flanks in a threatening manner. The unicorn noble backed off; he was a biased, idiotic moron, but he at least had some wit to know he wouldn’t win.

Things were about to get worse for him; much, much worse.

“It is good that you show some ability to reason, Blacktail,” Celestia said in a frosty voice. “I thought I made myself perfectly clear in our meeting earlier today.” She turned to her captain. “Please escort this former Lord to the train station. He will be taking the next train to Appleloosa; perhaps spending time on his cousin’s plantation will give him the understanding to not buck the tree that shelters him.” The captain nodded, doing his level best to hide his grin.

The Guards-ponies led the former noble-pony off. Celestia sighed as he watched. “I should have listened to my sister all those years ago,” she said softly. “She was right; nobles are far too much a chore.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Most of us what can’t see past our noses that is.”

Celestia colored prettily. “I’m sorry Rainbow Dash; I forget that you and your friends are of noble descent yourselves.”

Rainbow shrugged. “Eh, it’s not a problem. I was never one for all of the holier-than-thou crap anyway.” Rainbow looked around at the bedlam she had inadvertently caused, cringing. “I really stuck my hoof in it this time. Want my help to settle them all down?” she asked Celestia.

I seldom get to spend any time with the other elements, and they are as much of a joy to be around as Twilight is, Celestia thought to herself. “I’d love the help Princess Rainbow Dash.”

The two made their way to the throne room to smooth the feathers that were all a-flutter.


Equestria, Canterlot Castle, 06-09-05, 9:34 P.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


An exhausted cyan alicorn made her way to the shared quarters prepared for herself and Twilight. Rainbow Dash had just spent the last several hours in meeting after meeting.

The first several meetings were over her apparent ‘foal-napping’ of the Alicorn of the Sun. Rainbow facehoofed at the memory of the dressing-down she received from the Commander of the PPP. The memory was yet another example of the stupidity of the ponies that lived in Canterlot.


“Stormcloud, I have stated repeatedly that I left a note behind that should have given you all the information about the meeting that myself and Princess Celestia were in. The time lapse was not my doing, and I intend to get a full accounting from the one actually involved in that.” Rainbow Dash’s patience with the military commander was wearing thin.

“As I stated in the note, there were things that I and Princess Celestia needed to discuss privately; these are naturally things of an alicorn nature. I’m under no obligation to inform you what was discussed, so stop asking!”

“Dame Rainbow Dash, a brief note that bears the hallmark of a prank is not sufficient notice of intent,” the stallion in question said heatedly. “If there was something that you needed to discuss with the princess privately, I’m sure it could have waited until after your coronation, a coronation that will now have to be postponed.”

“Pardon, but I’m not sure I understand what I have heard,” Celestia said. “Why is the coronation being postponed?” Celestia was fully aware of the reason, yet she was waiting to see if the current Commander of the PPP was that much of an idiot.

“Dame Rainbow Dash’s actions demonstrate that she has little knowledge of Equestria’s laws. A course in said law must be undertaken before I or the rest of the PPP will deign to allow her to have any kind of connection to Equestria’s armed forces.”

Celestia frowned. “Captain, her placement as leader of the Wonderbolts was and is at my behest and approval. You DO NOT have the authority to postpone her coronation, as the ceremony is simply a formality at this point. She was crowned a Princess the moment I and the rest of the Alicorn Council were made aware of her Ascension. I will hear no more on this subject.”

“With all due respect Princess, we have a proper way of doing things for a reason. The last, the very last thing Equestria’s armed forces needs is an untrained pegacorn filly in any kind of training position.”

Celestia’s eyes flashed in anger. “Stormcloud, you have just made a grave mistake,” the alabaster alicorn said coldly. “I have made it abundantly clear that I will not tolerate derogatory statements or beliefs as a reason for refusing an appointment. Your words and actions just cost you your Commander’s commission. Guards, see the former commander to the train station; he will be joining his cousin in Appleloosa.”

The Royal Guards-ponies escorted the stallion in question out of the conference room, who was loudly protesting his dismissal. “I will be placing a petition before the High Court Celestia!” he yelled as he was bodily removed from the conference room. “Your dominance of the PPP will soon be at an end.”

Celestia’s gaze never faltered. Once the doors closed behind the hapless stallion, Celestia bent her gaze on the stallion that had been sitting next to his superior officer. “Do I need to reiterate to you my reasons for his dismissal Corporal?” The stallion shook his head.

“Good.”


After that, Celestia had made it plain that she would brook no further insults towards Rainbow concerning her military appointment. The entire pegasi division of the PPP, which included the Wonderbolts, was hers to command. Rainbow Dash fluttered her wings at that; she wanted to fly with the ‘Bolts, not lead them.

No matter what Celestia had said, she was in for a struggle with the ‘Bolts. The only way they’d accept her at all is if she were to go through the training just like any other recruit.

Rainbow stopped walking as her tired mind finally registered a fact she had overlooked. That conniving, manipulative alicorn! I’m not just a trainer; she’s handed me the aerial branch of the PPP as my personal Guard! If they wanna stay, they have to toe the line with me; I can dismiss them at any time if they give me any trouble!

Rainbow shook her head as she continued walking, finding herself at her and Twilight’s quarters in short order. She opened the door and looked into the first room in happy shock.

There was a table set for two, with a pair of long-tapered candles set in the center. Along the side was a bucket containing a bottle of Sweet Apple Acres’ Prime Reserve, one of her favorites, and a quartet of covered plates.

The mare sitting at the table smiled softly. “Rainbow Dash, you and I haven’t had much time to ourselves, what with everything we’ve had to deal with the past few weeks. We’ve never even had a proper date.”

Rainbow smiled at Twilight’s effort to be romantic; like everything else about her, her smile was tired. “Thanks for doing this Twilight.”

Twilight’s smile turned into a grin at the state of her lover. “Bad day of meetings, huh Rainbow Dash?” She snickered. “Maybe this will swear you off the pranks for awhile.”

Rainbow sat down heavily at the seat across from Twilight. “The meeting wasn’t the prank; there was something important that Celestia and I needed to accomplish.” She waved at her flank where her new cutie mark now rested.

Twilight blinked as she got a closer look at it. “Well, I’ve heard of cutie marks changing to better reflect the pony, but that has to be one of the most specific I’ve ever seen.” She frowned as she served Rainbow a glass of cider. “I wonder why Celestia and Luna have such a simple cutie mark. I mean, they serve much the same role as you do.”

Rainbow took a sip of her cider before responding. “Well, Celly and Lulu are Guardian alicorns, but not over a complete Realm. They don’t have final authority in Equestria the same way as I do over the Realm of Light.” She sighed tiredly.

Twilight floated two of the covered dishes over to her marefriend. Uncovering them, Rainbow saw that one was a warm weather salad, and the other was Twilight’s world-famous stir fry. The smell revived her somewhat, and she dug into the salad with relish.

Twilight smiled as she started to eat her own salad. The two talked about inane subjects as they ate, relishing in the fact that they were spending a quiet night with each other.

Once the table was cleared, the two lay in front of the fire. The meal had done wonders for Rainbow’s mood, though she was still overly tired. “Ugh, you would think that meetings wouldn’t take so much out of a pony,” she complained.

Twilight started to massage Rainbow’s withers, causing the cyan mare to moan in comfort. “You’re not used to it yet, that’s all,” she said comfortingly. “It gets easier as you go along, though I’d warn against using your alicorn mana to stave off exhaustion all the time. Too much of that will cause you to crash when you eventually run out.”

At this point, Rainbow was nearly a puddle in comfort. She briefly fought through the drugging effect that Twilight’s efforts was having on her to respond. “Yeah, I think that’s why I’m so tired right now; course, if I hadn’t of done that, I’d have fallen asleep in the second meeting.”

Twilight moved down towards the front of Rainbow’s flanks. Rainbow wiggled as her hooves tickled the base of her wings. “I figured as much. Oh, you’re all in knots; didn’t you get a break at all?”

Rainbow shook her head, doing her best to try and keep from falling asleep. “No, they brought food into one of the meetings. I didn’t have to be in any of them, but I wasn’t about to leave Celly to deal with all of that crap by herself.”

Twilight used her kinesis to rub Rainbow’s shoulder blades, causing the mare to yelp as a particularly hard muscle knot came undone, after which she sighed in relief. Some of her lethargy was relieved as Twilight continued to work her magic. She was soon finished.

“Thanks Twi; my shoulders have been bugging me for awhile now,” Rainbow said, rolling them from side to side.

“Rainbow Dash, you should have said something before,” the purple mare scolded. “That’s likely a result of all that fighting you did awhile back.”

“Yeah, prolly.” Rainbow looked at the fire pensively. “Twilight, do you ever regret the things that you’ve done or haven’t done?”

Twilight looked at the pony lying next to her. “Regrets? I think everypony has those Rainbow Dash; it’s all part of growing up.” She frowned pensively. “My biggest is that I buried how I truly felt about all that Celestia hid from me. Even after I found out the truth, I still didn’t confront her on it.”

Rainbow scratched her head. “I don’t regret that we’re together or anything, but I kinda do wish it happened under better circumstances.” She then looked at her marefriend. “At the same time, I don’t think there was much else that could get me to admit to how I felt.”

They both moved at the same time to kiss one another. Twilight nipped Rainbow’s lower jaw. “I get that much Rainbow. I’m glad that you did though; it saved me the trouble of doing it myself.”

Rainbow frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked, pulling away slightly.

Twilight sighed before getting up and making her way to the four poster bed along the one wall. Sitting down, she patted the spot next to her. Rainbow made her way over to the bed as well, sitting where Twilight indicated.

“I’ve had strong feelings for you for awhile now Rainbow Dash,” she said quietly. “Not at the level of a soulbond, but it was still very strong. It took everything I had to keep it to myself on our journey, especially after I realized that you were bisexual.”

Rainbow frowned. “I kinda wish you had; it might have made things easier on me.” Then she shook her head. “It doesn’t matter though; what does is that we’re together now, for as long as Sol shines.” Rainbow moved to place her head onto Twilight’s withers.

Twilight smiled at her marefriend. Rainbow lifted her head up and kissed her again. The two then moved deeper onto the mattress, spending the rest of the evening showing each other how deep their love now was.


Author's Note:

Woof!

This chapter was a long one to write.

I should point out that all the stuff that went on in this chapter is one of the major reasons why I dropped the comedy tag on it. Though there's humor, there simply isn't enough to justify that tag. See the blog here for more details.

Now, I know I promised that I was going to get to Luna's journey soon. That actually was the plan for this chapter; however, I have a hard and fast rule that I'm sticking by. I will not let a chapter go over twelve thousand words.

The actual celebration will begin in the next chapter.

See you all next chapter!

Edit June 7th: Made a change to one of the scenes between Rainbow Dash and Celestia. It now better matches what happened in Mareago in LRSF.