• Published 18th May 2015
  • 2,622 Views, 124 Comments

Princess of Shadows, Darkness, and Light - jwizard



The rumors of a kingdom that Luna had made before her fall to Nightmare Moon have persisted; but what if said rumors were true? What if there WAS another kingdom, one that existed on the moon?

  • ...
9
 124
 2,622

Chapter Five: Echoes of the Past Part One

Equus, Somewhere, 06-02-05, 11:27 P.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


The eldritch glow that came from the war lanterns bathed the assembled ponies in an unearthly glow. The group was bedraggled after several days of fighting, yet they were still managing to hold the line.

The commander of the group looked at the assembled Shadow-spawn with an impassive expression. Stern Gaze had seen much worse in his twenty years of guarding the Rift that existed between the Moon Kingdom and the Shadowlands. He looked at the stallion standing next to him.

Though he didn’t allow any sort of expression to show on his muzzle, Gaze felt a shiver in the presence of the shadow mage. Such ponies were supposed to be rare; however, the only effective ways to protect their kingdom were by bending shadows, wielding light, or by calling darkness. While such magic was in of itself simply one part of the natural order, those that cleaved to it were often corrupt.

Gaze sighed inwardly. The current Council had been given authority to handle this crisis. His group was one of several that the Princess had sent to the other side to stem the tide as best they could, while others worked to seal the Rift once more. All had to be done to ensure that the creatures didn’t enter their kingdom; or worse, onto the surface of Equus.

Though if one were to ask the Council, they could care less about the safety of the descendants of those who had abandoned them long ago.

A shout called out from the western flank, cutting into Gaze’s musings. “Captain, shadow wraiths are on the ridge!” one of his lieutenants called.

Gaze swore an oath to both Dusk and Serenity. “We’re not prepared to handle wraiths! Damn the Council; what are they trying to prove?!”

The shadow mage looked at the pegacorn commander. “Calm yourself Gaze,” it said impassively-- shadow mages often lost whatever gender identity they had in the pursuit of power. “I’ve already summoned what is needed to win this battle."

A loud thrum came from the direction of the Rift, near the ridge where the wraiths were. A hulking brute came to the fore, tearing into the creatures. The imbecile! Its summoned a behemoth! I’m going to lose my entire garrison! Gaze called his bound blade, and gave a shout.

The line of ponies, earth and unicorn, met the spawn that were fleeing the behemoth. With hoof and spell, they made short work of the creatures.

Gaze stole a look at the mage. Realizing that the freak was making use of the monster to do more than just kill the Shadow-spawn, he once again swore an oath to the Powers that Be.

The monstrosity descended on his battle line. A few of the ponies were shredded by swings from the massive brute. However, before much more could be done, a keening wail was heard from the direction of the Rift.

The opening sealed itself with a tremendous burst. Then, a beam of scintillating moonlight split the behemoth down the center. A growl came from the shadow mage, who prepared another summoning spell.

It didn’t get the chance; a moonsteel blade filled with light, shadow, and darkness separated its head from its shoulders. Then, a burst of plasma rendered the rest of it to sub atomic particles. Gaze sighed in relief, then bowed before his Princess.

Princess Nightingale looked at her Captain. Her expression was one of serenity, yet there was a deep seated anger burning in her normally compassionate eyes. “Captain,” she asked softly, “on whose orders were you sent a Damned One?”

Gaze scowled. “I was sent more than one, Your Highness. The others were all lost three days ago; ripped apart after they conjured a shadow barrier to protect the fortress.” His expression became even more severe. “It was the local council-pony that gave the order. Apparently, he was given authority by the Council to do so.”

Princess Nightingale lost her serene expression. “I am aware of the Council’s actions, Captain. That is why I’ve Sealed them once more.” Those ponies that weren’t attending to the dead and wounded- or weren’t bowed down with grief -looked more than concerned at these words.

The princess smiled sadly. “Fear not, my Little Ponies,” she said kindly. “The Seal only applied to those Sworn to the Council, and not those Sworn to either my service or to the protection of our Kingdom.” She frowned. “Unfortunately, there are those that were sent away to preserve some semblance of resistance to my Law.” She turned to the approaching council-pony.

A bolt of scintillating magic- made up of darkness wreathed in shadow, with a core of light -struck the unicorn before he could bluster. Where there was once a pony, there was now only a crystal statue.

“My Law stands; all who consort with the Damned Ones face a Pure Sealing,” the alicorn said softly.

Gaze shook his head a little. “You always have to be a little theatrical, don’t you Mother,” he said, more of a statement than a question.

She smiled a little. “Of course my son; life would be boring otherwise.”

They turned to gather the remainder of Gale’s bedraggled company, and made preparations to return to the fortress.

The Rift vibrated; its energies once more pressing against the Seal. A nimbus of rainbow light surrounded it, and the Seal flashed, becoming even more strong.


The local fortress was much like many that existed in the Borderlands. Made from moon rock fused closed with moon crystal, it was a structure that could withstand the strongest attacks from the very worst of Shadow-spawn.

The explosion caused by the failed barrier had ripped the walls down.

Stern Gaze was overseeing the return of his troops when a foppish unicorn mare came huffing towards him. “GAZE!” the mare yelled- more of a croak -as she got closer. “What have you done to my son?!”

Gaze looked at Slender Beauty- an oxymoronic name, as she was neither -with an impassive expression. “I should think that I have done nothing, as I am unable to Seal a pony.”

‘Slender Beauty’ blanched. “W-what did he do to deserve such a thing?” She fell onto her belly, tears starting to fall out of her eyes.

“Oh please, don’t act like you weren’t expecting this, Mother.” A young pegacorn mare flew down, carrying a pair of very full saddlebags. “I honestly don’t know what Brother was thinking,” Silent Grace said. “Calling on Damned Ones, even as a Council order? He was nuts, and I told him so.”

The older mare didn’t even acknowledge her daughter’s arrival. Gaze scowled a bit; a shake of his students’ head stayed his reaction. A flash of light caused Beauty to yelp, forcing her to get to her hooves. She rounded on her daughter, intending to slap her for her actions. Her horn aglow, she made to conjure her old punishing rod.

A ring of crystal slid down her horn from nowhere, causing her magic to sputter out. Beauty looked cross-eyed at the ring. She began to blanch, her hooves shaking in reaction.

Princess Nightingale walked up to the three ponies with a severe expression on her muzzle. “I was going to let you off, due to your age and the fact that your daughter is a pegacorn,” she said quietly. “However, since your actions demonstrate that you feel the same as the Council does about those that are born to protect this kingdom, I see that you need a lesson as well.” She frowned. “Get used to doing things as earth ponies and pegasi do, as I’m not UnSealing the Council until the Moon Princess returns.”

Beauty looked at the princess with real fear. “B-but t-that’s never going to h-happen. She abandoned us over a thousand years ago,” she stuttered.

Nightingale looked at the unicorn in disbelief. “Are you really that imbecilic?” she asked, her tone one of confusion. She shook her head to clear it. “The only reason that the barrier is failing is because the ‘Lord of Darkness’ ”- this was said with derision -“has been UnSealed once more.” She looked at all of the ponies that were watching the little tableau. “It stands to reason, then, that we’ve been fighting his chaff.”

A lieutenant flew down from the western ridge. “Captain, Your Highness! A cadre of Damned Ones are making their way here!” he said frantically.

Nightingale's expression became impassive. With a flash of her horn, the fortress was surrounded by a barrier made up of mixed moonlight and sunlight. Thick bands of shadow and dark energy rippled on its surface.

The alicorn teleported to the ridge. She watched the fallen surround the barrier, impassively waiting for them to begin channeling.

They didn’t disappoint. At the apex of their spell however, Nightingale acted.

“I Call upon the Blessings of Solaris and Serenity! Bring forth the Light of Justice!”

A shaft of pure light fell from the sky. Screeching, the fallen ponies were rendered to pure nothingness, their Damned souls purified by the Light of Creation itself.

A cheer went up from the assembled ponies. Nightingale bowed to the Powers that Be in supplication, then teleported back into her barrier. “This is not yet done,” she said. “Unicorns, use the Crystal Calling to rebuild the walls. I will ensure that the coming waves are beaten back until they are repaired.”

The princess turned to her Captain and his assistant. “Gaze, Grace, I need you to reinforce the barrier,” she pointed her hoof at the shield surrounding the bedraggled fortress. “Use the standard arrangement of crystals to do so, but don’t link them to the lines from the palace.” Her horn glowing, Nightingale linked the lines of Power under the fortress to that which she had prepared earlier.

“The Power coming from these lines is my own,” she said. “It’s untainted, and UnBound to the Council’s arrays,” Nightingale spread her wings. Before taking off for the waves that were undoubtedly coming, she gave her usual benediction.

“Be well and as happy as you can be, My Little Ponies.”


Deep in a cavern far to the north of the Rift, chanting could be heard if one listened carefully. The cloaked and hooded ponies- predominantly unicorn with a smattering of the other tribes -moved in rhythm as they called out to the darkness.

These ponies were the Damned Ones, ponies who gave up their very identities in the pursuit of power. Though darkness and shadow simply were, Damned Ones were corrupt by nature and choice.

Many strived for great power; however, few attained what they were truly after, as the corruptive influence of the Lord of Shadows stole from them everything. Their knowledge, their power, even their sexual identity was subsumed in service to their dark master. Once they Fell, they became little more than puppets, possessing no qualities to identify them from their brethren. Indeed, willingness to temporarily lose their gender was considered a small price to pay.

The crimson-cloaked pony at the forefront of the circle was different however. The unicorn was female, and her voice was soft and fluid. She also carried few signs of corruption; the only one that could be seen was the slit-pupiled eyes, and the shape and color of her horn.

The mare looked at the pool of reflected liquid that her underlings surrounded. All that had happened at the Rift was seen, as what had happened to the rest she had sent to deal with the fortress. This setback mattered little; it had served her purpose in any case.

Now that the Moon Council was once again Sealed, she and those like her would have a far easier time rendering the Rift UnSealed. Shifting a little, the mare stomped her hoof to change the timbre of the chants.

The image changed; instead of the field of battle, it shifted to a view of the fortress. Wave after wave broke on the shield surrounding it. Off to the side, a number of shadowspawn were digging a sapping tunnel, under the direction of three of her best mages.

Suddenly, three flashes of shadow-wreathed light went into the midst of the Damned present. The mare cringed in pain as the princess’ damnable son severed the heads of her best underlings. With that, the wave broke; the spawn dispersed, heading off to different parts of the Borderlands.

Snarling in anger, the mare stomped her hoof yet again. The timbre of the chants changed; they became more unearthly, and less guttural. The mare began to add her own power to the pool, intending to summon that which could finish the fortress off.

As she quickly found out, this was a mistake.

The water of the reflective pool burst upwards, showering the assembled Fallen in enchanted liquid. The head mage shielded herself, even as the chanting ponies did the same. Radiant light flashed forward from the midst of the shower. Within a few moments, all of her remaining underlings lay in pieces around the pool.

She screeched in rage, a bolt of black mana appearing on her jagged horn. Bands of light wrapped themselves around it, cutting off her ability to channel. An array of runes appeared under her hooves; they moved up her fur, surrounding her legs and barrel.

She went from screeching in anger to screaming in pain as the runes burned their way into her skin. Geometric lines made their way to her head, surrounding both her muzzle and eyes. She screamed in renewed pain as the array ate her knowledge, consuming three decades worth of study.

A crack of eldritch lightning struck her in her horn, knocking out her last line of defense. A sky-blue aura surrounded it, and wrenched it out of her head. The bleeding wound was cauterized closed by her own mana.

Slumping to the ground, the former high shadow mage glared at the alicorn that had somehow broken the basic laws of reality. “How did you get in here through a scrying pool?” she choked out, her disbelief momentarily supplanting her anger.

Princess Nightingale looked impassively at the Fallen pony. “Water can act as a portal, foal. You tied this pool to the water in the air around my son’s fortress.” Her expression became frightful in spite of her otherwise gentle countenance. “Your mistake was in trying to summon a Greater Behemoth. I’d have left you alone if you had just cut your losses.”

Hefting the horn in her telekinetic aura, Nightingale examined it minutely. “Fashioned after the original I see,” she said, more to herself than to her prisoner. “I suppose it makes sense, since Sombra hates any kind of competition.” She looked at the mare, who was getting back to her hooves shakily.

Nightingale ripped the cloak and hood the mare was wearing off of her. Focusing, she burned it using a small amount of superheated plasma. She then dealt with the horn.

Scintillating webs of rainbow-colored light began to surround the horn. The arrangement became a latticework; more and more lines appeared. As the webbing reached its thickest point, it collapsed onto itself. The horn was obliterated by the oppressing lines of pure light mana.

A howl of both pain and rage echoed across the Borderlands. A vicious smirk crossed the muzzle of the alicorn, before she once more assumed her neutral expression.

Leveling her horn towards the now-empty pool, Nightingale inscribed a rune into its side. The rune caused a spider-webbing of geometric lines to radiate from itself. Within a span of a few moments, the cave walls were covered in an array of runes. Clamping a golden cord around the neck of the unicorn, she shadow-teleported out of the caverns. The caves collapsed soon after, burying the entire complex in tons of stone.

The ponies appeared just outside the central portion of the Rift. Nightingale moved the unicorn’s head by main force; pointing it at the Rift, she began the long process of redemption.

“Look at that,” the princess said, her anger all-too apparent. “Have you any notion that what you did was futile? One mage, no matter how powerful, has any hope of destroying something created by all of the Essences working in concert.”

Her gaze turned intent. “I think it’s truly fortunate that I stopped you; at least you live.” The mare’s expression became scoffing. Nightingale went on before she could be interrupted. “Did you really think he would share? I was alive the first and only time the Dark One managed to break free.” Her intent gaze never wavered. “I watched as he turned my commander- a pony who sold his soul for power -over to his spawn; they ripped him to bits.”

For the first time, Nightingale’s expression changed. Sadness could clearly be seen, and the weight of centuries of fighting seemed to settle onto her withers. “The Dark One seeks to make all who live his servants, and has since before I was born. He is like you in many ways. Except for one; he doesn’t share.” Her expression became cynical. “Oh, he makes promises, and grants some of his servants a measure of power.”

The alicorn bent to stare in eyes of the now shivering mare. “Ones like you, who seek to be his equal?” She snorted. “They only serve him to feed his hateful, hungry hordes of spawn. Or as trophies to hang upon his walls, as the minotaur once did before Celestia turned their royal family into dust.”

Nightingale’s expression changed again; righteous anger could plainly be seen. “No, I really don’t think I’ll allow it, even though it’s no more than you deserve. I’d rather see some good come out of your redemption, since you have shown some temperance towards civilians in the past.” She smiled, a little sadly. “That’s more than most Fallen ever do.”

The mare finally managed to find her voice. “W-what’s going to happen to me?” she asked fearfully.

At this, the princess’ intent gaze returned. “You’re going to experience something incredibly painful. The Ritual of Purification is not kind to those who willingly give into the darkness of evil.” Her eyes closed. “You will change, starting tonight. Reverted painfully, one day for every year you spent a willing servant of the Dark One.” Nightingale looked sadly at the unicorn. “It won’t kill you, but I know that you will likely wish for death. Most do.”

She closed her eyes again; this time, she seemed to be counting in her mind. “I think for you, the process will be swift; you haven’t done much real evil to the weak and helpless.” Nightingale nodded as she examined the array in her mind’s eye, going over the thickness of the lines. “Since you did spend several decades serving him however, you will lose much of the life you’ve lived.” She opened her eyes then, smirking. “Likely enough to regress you to the size and age of a nine-year-old filly once more.” She then frowned. “One thing though; magic other than telekinesis will be Sealed away from you unless you swear yourself to the Essences.”

The mare scowled, her misplaced courage returning. “That’s something I’ll never do, Your Highness,” she scoffed haughtily. “Swear to powers that want little more than for us ponies to someday die? No thank you.”

Nightingale simply looked at the unicorn; her expression was enough to cow her erstwhile companion. “I’d have thought that you were bright enough to see through the Council’s lies.” She snorted. “They only want for us to eventually die? The forces that essentially created life only expect us to struggle pointlessly until our immortal spirits enter the Deep Dark?” Her words cut deep. “The forces that raised my kind from a simple yet powerful equine race to sire a multitude of intelligent races? The same forces that then linked with exemplary members of said race to make immortal protectors? The same forces that love us enough to let ourselves do our own thing, even when it’s evil? Please tell me, what about the Powers that Be do you find so hateful?”

“They let us suffer needlessly!” the mare screeched. “They sit in their oh-so-powerful places and let us suffer while those that love us are slaughtered! So forgive me if I find the Powers that Be less than a worm Nightingale!” She stomped her hooves in anger. “I used to be like you. I used to believe. Until I watched Shadow-spawn rip my family to pieces.”

Nightingale’s first reaction was the one she went with; instead of shaking the mare- or delivering even more arguments -she simply hugged her. The shocked unicorn could feel the tears on the back of her neck. Why is she crying? They weren’t her parents. They weren’t her brothers and sisters.

“I know it hurts Dawn, I really do. I see them, and everypony else I was unable to save that day,” the alicorn said softly. “I lost loved ones, ponies I had helped raise since they were foals.” She moved so that Glorious Dawn could see the pain and sadness in her eyes. “I’ve always regretted that I willingly listened to the Council, and that my inaction cost you the loss of your family.” She closed her eyes. “I’ve lived for far longer than even pegacorns normally do. I’ve lost so many of My Little Ponies in this war. And the greatest comfort has been the Essences.”

Nightingale kissed the unicorn between the eyes, right where her horn would soon grow back. To her pleasure, the mare didn’t resist. “I know you didn’t Fall as fast or as far as the others; that your true effort was to destroy the one that took your family.” She hugged the pony again; the mare hugged her back this time, now sobbing as years of pain came forth.

“You may not know this, but Dusk kept you close,” Nightingale said, a smile on her muzzle. “You were always one of her favorites, and she’s been sad all this time that you’ve been hurting.” She pushed Dawn away to look into her eyes again. “I can’t promise that this won’t be painful; there’s no other way for me to save you. Yet I can’t bring myself to punish a child for doing wrong to right a wrong. I can only teach. What you do from here is up to you.”

Dawn thought for a moment. “Is what you said true? Is the fact that he’s UnSealed the reason they’ve come out in force?”

Nightingale nodded. “I know that the Alicorn of Light has come forth, and that she fought his ‘greatest servant’. I even briefly saw her.” She then smiled, knowing that this one was ready to Rise.

“Ready to return home, My Little Pony?” the princess asked, hope blooming in her heart.

The unicorn nodded. As she did so, a grimace of pain flashed across her muzzle. Her horn burst forth all at once, cutting open her forehead. The magic healed the wound as quickly as it was formed.

Nightingale was happy. This meant that the Ritual would be far less invasive, now that Glorious Dawn was amenable to change.

“Let’s return home, My Little Pony.” So saying this, the princess light-teleported them back to her palace, to greet the dawn of a new beginning.


Equestria, Train to Ponyville, 06-06-05, 1:17 P.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


The Friendship Express chugged its way towards Ponyville. Normally full, the train was packed to capacity with Crystal Ponies that were making the journey to Canterlot.

The fact that they were doing so was highly unusual; Crystal Ponies seldom left the Empire. Many of these ones were looking to escape the tense situation; some were volunteering for the Royal Guard. Those were those few Crystal Unicorns that had moved to the city.

In the royal car, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash were sitting next to each other, reminiscing about the trip they just had.

The pair had spent an enjoyable day and a half with Cadance and Shining Armor-- after the latter got over his shock that is. They took in the sites of the seat of Cadance’s kingdom, trying their best to ignore the undercurrent of tension that abounded wherever they went.

“The Fair they were having seemed a little forced,” Twilight was saying.

Rainbow nodded at that. “Yep, I got that impression too Twi. All the stuff the Crystal Council is pulling is making the lives of the ordinary Crystal Pony miserable.” She scowled. “What IS it about Councils?! Why do they insist on being such jerks?”

Twilight frowned. “It’s complicated. I think it boils down to both a sense of entitlement and a desire to control their world.” She looked at Rainbow. “Ponies have problems with change; why do you think Celestia is still Princess?”

Rainbow had a nonplussed expression on her muzzle at that. “What do you mean Twi?”

Twilight grimaced. “Celestia has tried numerous times to give Equestrians political autonomy; removing the authority of the nobles and her own House.” She shrugged her wings. “For reasons I understand but don’t get, the Founder’s Laws concerning her position have been upheld.” She frowned. “Even our meritocracy system isn’t perfect; that’s why Celestia formed the High Court. Clerics of the Essences ensure that those chosen for such office aren’t corrupt or corrupted in any way.”

Twilight shrugged her wings again, as if she wanted to shrug the subject off. A grin appeared on her muzzle. “I’m happy that Cadance is carrying though. I’m also happy that once he got over his shock, Shiny was comfortable with my orientation.” She smirked at Rainbow. “Actually, he told me that he’s glad I’m with you. He said you’d be a hoofful for a colt.”

Rainbow huffed. “Well, I have yet to see a colt that was able to keep up with me.” She started shadow-boxing, her hooves a blur. “I’m the fastest, coolest pegasus there is.” She stopped after a moment. “Huh. I still think of myself as a pegasus at times, even though I’m not really one any more. I’m still fast and way awesome though.”

Twilight snickered. “I’ll say you’re fast all right. I can barely get started before you finish most of the time.” She was wearing a salacious grin as she said that.

“Hey, that’s not fair!” Rainbow whined. “Pegasi finish first, but have a lot; that’s just how it is.” She looked at her spread wings, which she had snapped out in mock irritation. “I just wish ponies would think when they passed certain rumors.”

A thought occurred to Rainbow. With the trust that was now between them, she decided to voice it. “Twi, why’d you hide your orientation for so long? Were you scared that we wouldn’t accept you or something?”

Twilight looked down. “That was part of it. Some of the misguided things that Bluey said over the years really hurt.” She looked pensive. “By the time I moved to Ponyville, it had simply become habit. There weren’t very many I was interested in, though Lyra was as cute as she ever was.” She blushed, realizing something. “I kinda think I have a thing for wings though, as I did fool around with Cloud Kicker and Flitter a few times.”

Rainbow looked thoughtful, then grinned. “Cloudy? Flitter? Both at once, or one at a time?”

Twilight blushed. “Mostly one or the other, though we did share some good times together. They like to spice things up. It didn’t last long though; my studies took precedence.” She frowned. “I had to keep it a secret when I was younger for a different reason though.”

Twilight moved closer to Rainbow. “You know how you get when you hear the rumor of wing-boners? Well, part of the reason why I kept it inside for so long was that I was afraid of the backlash that would fall on Celestia if it came out.” She scowled. “It was bad enough that she had to put up with that with Sunset Shimmer. It’s doubly stupid when ponies don’t realize that she’s never crossed that line, even with the colts she’s had as students.” She huffed. “They’ll believe anything; like the horseapples about Celestia and Luna representing all the tribes. If that were the case, where’s her stripes, antlers, and fish tail?”

Rainbow snorted. “Yeah, ponies can be real idiots sometimes. I was surprised that horns could be that sensitive though. Didn’t think that rumor was true.” She grinned at the blush that stained Twilight’s cheeks.

“Yes, well, not every unicorn is that sensitive. It’s all dependent on the nerve clusters,” she said, blushing harder at the smirk on her lover’s muzzle. She leaned in and gave the polychromatic mare a long kiss, bringing a massive blush to Rainbow’s cheeks as well.

“Twi, are you worried that our friends won’t accept our relationship?” Rainbow asked, looking into her marefriend’s eyes.

Twilight leaned forward to place her head on Rainbow’s shoulder. “I do a little; but only where Applejack is concerned. I think Fluttershy knows; she’s never said anything, but she gives me this look every time somepony says something derogatory about gays and lesbians.” She snickered a little. “I think Rarity is bi-curious; she’s got a small collection of lesbian romance novels.”

Rainbow mock-gagged. “Ugh, romance! Who’d want that?”

Twilight bit her ear playfully, causing her to yelp. “You say that, and yet I make you squirm almost every night.” She smirked evilly at the heat she could feel coming off her lover’s cheeks.

The call of ‘Next Stop; Ponyville!’ was heard from the speakers. Twilight got up and pulled their saddlebags down.

Rainbow took a moment to check on something. With a mental call, she summoned her blade Aura. She watched it for a few minutes while Twilight gathered their things. Rainbow then Called Star Swirl’s Stave of Blessing, the one she used to help protect both Twilight and the hapless Blueblood a few months’ prior.

She nodded in confirmation; there was no longer a darkling or shadowling presence anywhere near Ponyville. She Sent her weapons back to the Aurora, then summoned a pair of scrolls she had received in the palace. Both were from her parents.

As they made their way off the train, Rainbow and Twilight both saw that her friends were all waiting for them. All except for one glaring absence; Pinkie Pie. Twilight and Rainbow smirked at each other, knowing that she likely was waiting to surprise them with a party.

Fluttershy held back from hugging the two mares. She noticed the way that they were standing so close to each other; this brought a little smile to her muzzle. Oh, I’m so happy; they finally found each other. But what is that glow around Rainbow?

The other two weren’t as aware of the underlying subtext; then again, neither of them were looking for it. Rarity was exclaiming over the condition of their coats, while Applejack was trying to get details on what Cadance and Shining Armor were up to. She was mightily curious about the shout all of Equestria had heard a couple of days ago.

The five mares made their way to the palace. Spike was waiting for them, as was the mayor. As they made their way into the palace doors, a cry called out from the darkness.

”SURPRISE!”

Twilight and Rainbow both rolled their eyes a little. Pinkie came bouncing in, full of her usual energy. “Were you surprised? Were you? Huh? I thought you might be tired, and I’m like, ‘Pinkie, let’s cheer them up with a ‘Welcome Back Twilight and Rainbow Dash!’ party!’, and Pinkie was like, ‘Don’t make it too loud, cause they’re probably tired,’ and I was like, ‘Okay, then how about for just our friends, and Pinkie was like, ‘That’s cool, let’s do that,’ and so I said mmph…!”

A blue forehoof corked Pinkie’s muzzle. “Pinkie Pie, slow down, kay? We’re surprised, but we’re also a little tired.” She looked around. “Where’s the cake?”

The others all laughed at that, and set about to have a good time.


A little while later, the party was in full swing. It didn’t involve everypony in Ponyville; showing great restraint, Pinkie had limited the number of invitations she mailed to a few of their close friends.

Rainbow was having a good time in particular. This was the first time she’d had to relax in quite awhile, and to do so around the five best friends a pony could have made her smile.

A sweet tone from deep within was felt, and Rainbow once more heard Serenity’s voice.

<It is time, child,> she said, her sweet voice somewhat sad. <Do what must be done, then let them know what has changed.>

Rainbow sighed a little; she’d been hoping to put this off. However, she knew it was time. Time for those who were undeserving to get their comeuppance.

Closing her eyes, Rainbow centered herself in the radiant Light of her Realm, then found the points of light that were those Crystal Ponies that cleaved to the Dark One. Sadly, that was virtually the entire Crystal Council, and a third of the Crystal Pegasi. She sighed, then let her anger envelop them.

The very nature of these ponies was changed. Whether born Crystal Ponies or not, they were returned to the fold of the more ordinary pony tribes. Rainbow cried a tear of sadness, as it was worse than just that.

A pony’s magic is central to their being. If their nature is drastically changed, their very identity is altered. This would mean that many would lose their cutie marks; especially those whose talent was tied to being a Crystal Pony.

Rarity saw this; she had first seen Rainbow close her eyes, then saw the expression of anger. A wave of Power was clearly Felt before her eyes opened again, a solid glow coming from them. They then returned to their natural cerise color. Rarity wondered at that; it was similar to how Twilight’s eyes had glowed whenever she used her alicorn magic, or when the Power of the Elements of Harmony was coursing through her.

Rainbow cleared her throat. “Um guys, there are a few things that need to be said.” She walked over to where Twilight was sitting. “First, there’s a few things about the start of our journey that we didn’t get to tell you. Some of it was stuff we couldn’t tell anypony, and some of it was stuff that scared me.”

Rainbow shuddered a little. “Hay, I’m still scared about it sometimes.” She cleared her throat a little, then decided to just show the other girls what she was talking about. She levitated one of Pinkie’s cupcakes over to her, taking a bite out of the sweet treat.

All except Twilight were shocked at this. “Rainbow Dash, are you using unicorn magic?” Rarity asked in disbelief.

Rainbow nodded. “About a week before the dust-up with Blueblood, my mana started to change.” She let go a little, returning her body to its true nature. Her horn reappeared, along with a change to her wings and height. She suppressed the majority of her unicorn and earth pony mana though, as she and Serenity both weren’t quite ready for Celestia to know about her new nature.

“This thing,” Rainbow said, a little irritated, “appeared while we were in the fields past Trottingham. My mana had been changing before that though.” She sighed a little. “Outside of Scootaloo and Twilight, I didn’t tell anypony else. Twi figured it out.”

“Are ya an… alicorn, sugarcube?” Applejack finally asked, still disbelieving what she was seeing.

Rainbow nodded. “I am now, but when the change was happening, I was becoming a pegacorn.”

“Ah,” Rarity said in realization. “And pegacorns are naturally secretive.” She looked at Fluttershy. “Did you know darling? I’m sure that she told you something.”

Fluttershy blushed a little. “Well,” she said in her soft way, “Twilight had told me something was happening, but I said that I didn’t want any details.” She smiled bashfully at Rainbow. “I always knew you were special Rainbow Dash.” She hugged her oldest friend.

Twilight cleared her throat a little, picking up the thread of the story. “Rainbow didn’t become an alicorn until after she… was taken…,” she started to shake at this, tears rolling down her muzzle. Rainbow made to hug her marefriend, not caring if the others caught on or not.

Sniffling a little, Twilight went on. “We had journeyed to a place called the Caves of Memory. It was part of a prison that Starswirl the Bearded had made for Sombra’s Master.” She summoned the tome that Celestia had given her at the beginning of their journey. “This detailed everything that we needed to do, and then changed to all we needed to know when we reached the top of Mount Everfest.”

Twilight shuddered. “When we got there, that which was truly responsible for the most recent attack on Ponyville made his final move.” She turned to the mare that was sitting next to her.

Rainbow’s expression changed. She lost that devil-may-care attitude that she was famous for, and began to look more like somepony that had been recovering from a living nightmare. “I’d been having a dream every night for awhile,” she said softly. “In that moment, I saw the dream happen.” She Called Aura to her once more.

The other ponies besides Twilight gasped. “I’m not gonna go into too many details until the Princesses call for us,” she said, “but all you really need to know right now is we did what the book told us to.” She then scowled. “I watched the shadows surround Twilight. We’d just gone through Tartarus, and now evil wanted to take a pony that was truly special.”

Rainbow then did something that shocked her four other friends even more; she blushed a bright red. “I realized at that moment why I’d been having that dream.” She turned to look at Twilight. “I realized that Twilight meant more to me than anything else in the world. My Loyalty was to her, and not just because of the Elements.”

Rainbow shuddered. “I told her how I felt, then I laid claim to that sword.” Her expression became one of remembered fear. “The sky ripped open, and dark tentacles grabbed me. And then… I…,” She stopped, unable to continue.

“It was hard for you, wasn’t it Dashie?” Twilight said softly. She hugged her lover as the others looked on.

“Yeah, it was more scary than anything I’d ever done before. It only stopped when I realized it was all smoke and mirrors,” Rainbow said. “I was more in fear for you.”

Applejack cleared her throat. “Um, are ya an item now or somethin’?” she asked.

Twilight blushed as hard as Rainbow had. “Yes, we are.”

Rainbow looked at Applejack. “I dunno if this will mean anything to you, but Twi and I are soulbound to each other.”

“Ah see,” Applejack said. The others had looks of understanding as well. “Well, ain’t that somethin’?” She smirked. “Ah think the pair of ya got yer hooves full.”

The others giggled at the blushes on Twilight and Rainbow’s cheeks. Rarity was swooning; her romantic heart was full to bursting.

“I have to say, I’m glad you’re all alright with this,” Twilight said in relief.

“Why, did ya think Ah’d reject ya?” Applejack said, a little hurt.

“It was more of a fear than anything else,” Rainbow said in response.

“Sugarcube, love is love. Y'all are family, and Apples don’t abandon family,” Applejack said.

Twilight launched herself at the farmpony, giving her a hug in thanks. This dissolved into a group hug; all of the other mares realized that Rainbow and Twilight really needed the closeness of good friends.

They were interrupted by Spike. “Twilight, you’ve got a letter from the Princesses,” he said. He looked at Rainbow Dash, and facepalmed. “Another alicorn; great, as if we needed more problems.”

All of them laughed at Spike’s grumbling. Twilight took the letter from her assistant. Her expression became impassive as she began to read out loud what Celestia had written.

Twilight Sparkle,

I have just received word that you and Miss Rainbow Dash have returned from your sojourn north. When Miss Clever Marigold returned to Luna’s service, she was unable to give a full account of what had occurred. The correspondence we had received left much to be desired.

In any case, that is neither here nor there. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza has informed me that something quite shocking has occurred to a number of the Crystal Ponies of her kingdom. It seems that they have somehow reverted to ordinary ponies. What is worse is that many of them have all but lost any trace of magic, and no longer have cutie marks.

Luna suspects that it has something to do with Sombra. I am requesting the presence of yourself and your friends in order to discuss the matter further. In addition, I would like a full explanation of what occurred in the north, as we may be able to find clues as to what has happened through those events.

Please respond to this request as early as possible Twilight. Send word with Spike with your E.T.A.


With Regards,

HRH Princess Celestia

“This doesn’t sound like Celestia at all,” Twilight muttered. She was disturbed at the formal tone of the letter. She then noticed a postscript:

P.S. I apologize for the formal tone Twilight; the General Assembly is pressuring myself and Luna concerning this issue, as well as information regarding your quest. I was forced to hide this postscript so that only Spike’s dragonfire would make it appear.

Twilight smiled a bit in relief, before an exasperated expression formed on her muzzle. She then looked at Rainbow. “Could you have waited a little longer? The Assembly now has more to fuel their ire towards the princesses; they didn’t need this on top of everything else.”

Rainbow sighed heavily. “I wanted to, but Serenity is one that keeps her promises.” Seeing the confused looks everypony besides Twilight was giving her, Rainbow made to explain.

“Um, you all know those priests and clerics that talk about the Essences?” The other ponies nodded. “Well, they’re as real as they say they are.” She raised a hoof to tick off each one as she said their names. “Solaris, Selene, Serenity, Dusk, Gaia, Chronos, and the Heart of Harmony itself.”

Rainbow scratched her head. “I’m special when it comes to alicorns. Serenity is connected to the Realm of Light, and I kinda took over as its Guardian.” She shrugged her wings, fluffing them a bit.

Seeing that the others were still a little confused, Twilight did her best to explain further. “Love and Light is what Crystal Ponies call on when they charge the Crystal Heart. So that ties them into the Realm Rainbow guards.” She then looked sad. “It also means that she has a great level of responsibility.” She pointed at the letter on the table. “Those ponies that became ordinary ponies gave themselves over to someone they shouldn’t have.”

The others started to get what was being said. “What, you did that to them Rainbow Dash?” Rarity said in shock. “Whatever could they have done to deserve something like that?”

“Well, first of all they’re rejecting those that revere the Aurora,” Rainbow said, snarling a bit as she said it. “Second, they’re at least on some level working with the so-called ‘Lord of Darkness.’ Or their helping him along,” she grumbled.

“The Lord of Darkness? Do we know this ‘Lord of Darkness’?” Rarity asked.

“Well, none of you have met him, and be glad you haven’t; he’s not awesome at all,” Rainbow said. “We all have dealt with his chief servant though. Or what was left of him anyway.”

“Huh?” Applejack looked confused for a moment; then her expression cleared. “Ya mean Sombra? He had a Master?” Rainbow nodded. “Makes sense, the big blowhard.” She snorted. “What Ah don’t get is why punish ponies for somethin’ like that? I get they should be punished, but isn’t takin’ their natures away a little harsh?”

“Not when it comes to Crystal Ponies it isn’t,” Rainbow said bluntly. “The first of them called on Gaia and Serenity to protect their kingdom.” She frowned. “Whether they really wanted to or not, their descendants were born to serve that same duty.” She was sniffing; when she looked up, her eyes were full of tears. “There are many that I stripped that only went along with the majority. I don’t like that I was forced to do that; it’s not cool at all!” Rainbow started to cry.

To her shock, it wasn’t Twilight that comforted her this time; it was Rarity. “Darling, having to do something like that is never easy.” She gave a stern gaze to Applejack, silently asking the farmpony to keep the rest of her opinion to herself. The mare made to object; the dirty looks she was getting from her other friends silenced her further. Grumbling, she walked off.

“I never knew I’d feel so hard about this; even punishing those that were serving the Dark One directly hurts,” Rainbow said, her voice thick with tears. “I didn’t do it because I wanted to; I did it because it needed to be done.”

“We all know that Dashie,” Pinkie Pie said, uncharacteristically solemn. The others- except for Twilight -hugged the mare in comfort.


Twilight found Applejack standing outside the palace; her hoof was scuffing the ground. She looked up at Twilight, blanching a bit at the anger she could plainly see in the mare’s eyes.

“Ah know yer likely mad at me sugarcube, and I don’t blame ya,” the farmpony said softly. “Ah just don’t think it’s right fer Rainbow to do what she done ‘n all. Ah’m just being honest, like Ah’m supposed to.”

“And not taking into consideration how your honesty can hurt, as usual,” Twilight said, her temper rising. “When honesty is done without temperance, it’s worse than a lie. Don’t even say it Applejack,” she snapped when she saw that the mare made to object, “I’ve gotten a much better understanding of the Elements than I had even when I first got my wings.”

Twilight moved until she was facing her friend. “Instead of criticizing Rainbow Dash for doing something you hardly even understand, try thinking of what she and I both have gone through.” Her expression was severe. “First, her mana started to change. Before she could get a grip on that, she and I were thrust into yet another journey by Princess Celestia, who just loves to have us solve her problems.” Her tone was bitter.

“Then, she had to face innumerable dangers in a realm she was not-at-all prepared for.” Twilight’s expression became even more angry. “And when she and I finally get back, she gets criticized for actions she didn’t even want to take by one of the ponies that should be there to support her.”

Twilight pointed in the direction of the palace. “She’s in there right now, doing something that is so unlike her; crying her eyes out.” She turned to walk back. Looking over her shoulder, Twilight made to say one more thing. “If you can’t learn that there’s a time and place for true honesty- just like there’s such a thing as misplaced kindness, or gratuitous generosity, or needless laughter -then I suggest you get used to having to apologize all the time.” She walked away, leaving a stricken friend behind.


Much later, Applejack found Rainbow Dash down by the lake next to Whitetail Woods. For unknown reasons, she once more looked like the pegasus she used to be.

Applejack didn’t like how she felt. She was quite angry for awhile at Twilight for saying the things that she did; yet at the same time, she had to admit that her friend was only being honest.

Rainbow looked up at her approach, then turned her head. Ah shoot, Ah’s can see the hurt in her eyes, Applejack thought sadly. Ah really need to learn when ta keep mah trap shut.

“Can Ah talk ta ya, sugarcube?” Applejack asked her friend.

“If ya wanna; doesn’t make any difference to me,” the polychromatic mare said indifferently.

Applejack looked down sadly. “Ah’m sorry sugar, Ah really am. Shoulda thought through what Ah was sayin’ before Ah said it.” She snorted. “Twi’s right; there’s a time and place fer honesty, and being honest when a friend is hurtin ain’t right.”

Rainbow looked at the farmpony. “I get what you were trying to say. You never gave me a chance to explain.” She stomped her hoof in aggravation. “Hay, I feel the same way you do, for Tartarus’ sake! I’m supposed to be a weather pony, not some avatar of a realm I never heard of until three weeks’ ago.” She sniffled. “It hurts that I’ve been forced to take away something that nopony has the right to take away.”

Applejack looked at her friend. Rainbow had always been a little bit too brash at times; this wasn’t one of them. She was showing a vulnerable side that even her friends seldom saw. The farmpony realized that her opinion didn’t matter here; this wasn’t about fairness, this was about doing right. “Ya know, Ah think we should just forget it fer now. Ah owe ya an apology sugar, and a promise. This ain’t no Pinkie Swear; this is on mah honor as an Apple. Ah’m gonna keep my opinions about things Ah don’t rightly understand to mahself.”

Rainbow gave in, hugging the recalcitrant farmpony. She pulled away a bit, deciding that they needed to do something else. “Wanna race AJ?”

The farmpony looked at her friend and saw the sparkle was back. “Yah know it sugarcube. Go easy on me now, ya hear?”

“Pshaw, as if!” the athlete scoffed. “Gotta give it my best, otherwise I can’t call myself Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash!”

The two laughed, and took off for Sweet Apple Acres. A purple alicorn looked on, smiling in thanks.

“Thank you for being a good friend Applejack,” Twilight said softly. “And thank you for reminding me to not forget what being honest to yourself really means.”


Equestria, Ponyville, 06-07-05, 9:22 A.M. A.N.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


The Elements of Harmony were all gathered at Ponyville Train Station, waiting for the 9:30 A.M. train to Canterlot. Twilight had sent word to Celestia that she and her friends were on their way, and that a full explanation would be forthcoming.

Twilight was standing as close to Rainbow Dash as she possibly could. Their still-new relationship gave them both comfort. That was something that would soon be in short supply once they reached the capital.

Rainbow had a cute smile on her muzzle. She was looking in the direction of Ponyville, where the CMC were doing an adorable little dance number to the delight of passersby. The routine was something that few had ever seen before. Rainbow knew that Scootaloo had come up with it after she’d read the last letter she’d written her; it wasn’t until they entered the Caves of Memory that Rainbow had stopped writing about her adventure to her little sister.

The train from Canterlot made any other musing moot. The six friends all boarded; each one of the others were there to support Twilight and Rainbow as much as possible. They all knew their polychromatic-maned friend would need as much support as she could get.

Rainbow shook herself, releasing her hold on her pegasus form for awhile. She sighed with relief as she did so. Looking around the royal car, she stopped in shock when she saw a quartet of very familiar Crystal Unicorns sitting off to the side.

“Brighthoof?” Twilight said in shock, beating Rainbow to the punch.

“Ah, hello Princess Twilight.” The stallion walked over to where the two alicorns were sitting. He bowed to Rainbow; she returned his bow, blushing a bit self-consciously. “Hello, My Princess.” He waved his filly-folk over. Radiant Dawn, Stalwart Beauty, and Radiant Belle all came over to where the others were sitting. The three bowed before Rainbow, making her blush even more.

Then the little filly did what she did the first time she met Rainbow; she climbed up onto her withers. The other ponies cooed at the adorable picture it made. Beauty rolled her eyes a bit even as she joined them.

“Sugarcube, who are these ponies?” Applejack asked.

Twilight blushed a little, as she hadn’t a chance to give more details of her and Rainbow’s adventure to her friends. “Oh, I’m sorry Applejack. Rainbow and I met Brighthoof and his family on our way to the Crystal Palace.”

“Actually, it’s soon to be Lord Brighthoof, as the Crystal Unicorns have named me their representative,” Brighthoof said, a look of amused consternation on his muzzle.

Rarity looked confused. “I was under the impression that there were only two tribes of Crystal Ponies,” she said. “Why have you all of a sudden made an appearance?”

Beauty answered her. “Well, our lands were Sealed until recently.” She nodded in thanks towards Rainbow Dash and Twilight. “It was thanks to the princesses here that we were freed. As to the other reason; naturally, we’d have sent representatives here before, but were blocked by our Crystal Council.” She frowned. “My only regret is that they had to suffer the worst that can happen to a Crystal Pony to get the message across. Nothing else would have worked, as they declared a vote of No Confidence in Princess Mi Amore Cadenza shortly before they were removed from the Fold.”

“They did WHAT?!” Applejack yelped, her muzzle wearing an expression of complete shock. “Why would they reject the Crystal Princess? She and Spike were the reason they were saved almost two years ago!”

“It gets worse Lady Applejack,” Radiant Belle said. “There were orders passed down to arrest you and your friends- as well as Lord Spike -if you had ever entered their lands again.” She frowned at the look of shock on the farmpony’s muzzle. “I would think that you were aware that the Council was working hoof-in-hoof with one of Sombra’s Shades.”

Applejack turned towards Rainbow Dash, a look of pure apology on her muzzle. “Ah’m really sorry sugarcube. Ya’ll were right in what ya did, and I was judging yer actions without a lick of evidence that they were wrong.” She came over and gave the alicorn a hug; Rainbow Dash returned it. “Ah jest should have kept mah muzzle shut,” she grumbled. Rainbow Dash just chuckled.

The trip to Canterlot went far faster than it normally would have. Twilight and Rainbow Dash took the chance to regale their friends on some of the tales of their journey down from the summit of Mount Everfest. The laughter that these stories elicited was beautiful to behold.

Not to be outdone, Stalwart Beauty began to tell the other elements of some of the things that Radiant Belle got up to. The mares all laughed, though there was a thoughtful look on Rarity’s muzzle.

“What’s wrong Rares?” Rainbow asked when she noticed this.

“Oh, it’s nothing darling,” the alabaster unicorn replied, flipping her mane to the side. “I’m just thinking of how much Belle reminds me of another little unicorn.” She looked at Beauty, a grin creasing her muzzle. “I have a little sister by the name of Sweetie Belle. She’s a darling, but all of the things her and her friends have gotten up to sounds a lot like what your foal does.” The assembled mares shuddered a bit.

“Why, do they pull pranks?” Brighthoof asked.

“They did at one point; Scoots actually got really good at them,” Rainbow said in response. At Brighthoof’s questioning look, Rainbow explained. “Oh, that’s one of Sweetie Belle’s friends. She’s a little orange pegasus that looks up to me as both a big sister, and an idol. Her full name is Scootaloo.”

“It’s like this,” Twilight said when Rainbow paused. “Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Applejack’s little sister Apple Bloom all met at another fillies’ cute ceanera, around the time I first moved to Ponyville.” She smiled in memory. “The three fillies decided to form a little club, since they were all trying so hard to find their cutie marks. They call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“And they get themselves in all sorts of trouble too,” Applejack grumbled. “A lot of which seems to involve tree sap, or running into the Everfree forest.” She chuckled. “And when they finally did get their marks, it was because they were tryin’ to put that no-account Diamond Tiara in her place.”

Twilight noticed that they were getting closer to Canterlot. “Oh, we’re almost to the capital,” she said. “Rainbow, I know you don’t want to but-” she began.

“Yeah, I think I should,” the cyan-colored alicorn sighed. She levitated Radiant Belle onto Twilight’s back for a moment, then pulled her power inwards. Within a few moments, she had resumed her pegasus disguise.

“Huh, that’s something,” Brighthoof said thoughtfully. “Now I know why I couldn’t sense transformation magic around you Princess.” He looked thoughtful. “Is that something all alicorns can do?”

“Yes, though it’s not something the princesses do often,” Twilight told him. “I mostly taught it to Rainbow Dash because she still has trouble with unicorn-based spells.” She frowned. “Also, it would have been impossible to explain to Princess Cadance why Rainbow was under such a spell.” She smiled self-consciously. “Alicorns can’t sense each other when our magic is suppressed. I found that out by accident when Princess Luna and I were dealing with some problems in Ponyville a while back.”

Further musing was cut short by an announcement. ‘Now arriving at Canterlot Central. Party to the Palace; A royal escort is waiting for you.’

The assembled ponies looked at each other, then gathered their things. They made their way to the carriages that would take them to the palace. The Crystal Ponies were glad of this; it meant that they could get there faster.

Once all were in the carriages, the ponies pulling them began the short journey to Canterlot Palace. There awaited them a trio of confused and concerned alicorns.

The two newest alicorns were about to change that. Some would say for the better.

A hidden dark pony had a different view, and a plan to end everything.


Author's Note:

The whole scene with Applejack came out of left field for me. More in the blog about it.

Not much else I can really say about this chapter. Expect more Twidash in later chapters. Also, things are gonna get more fast paced, cause the adventure is far from over.

Update: Made a minor edit to the letter scene. It flows better, and I'm not trying to create tensions between Celestia and Twilight. Their relationship is a strong one, just as it is in the show. This is NOT a TyrantCelestia fic; for the most part, I despise such fics.