• Published 18th May 2015
  • 2,614 Views, 124 Comments

Princess of Shadows, Darkness, and Light - jwizard



The rumors of a kingdom that Luna had made before her fall to Nightmare Moon have persisted; but what if said rumors were true? What if there WAS another kingdom, one that existed on the moon?

  • ...
9
 124
 2,614

Chapter Twenty-Four: Rift's End

Equus, Lune, Rift Border, 06-24-05 A.N.M., 7:49 A.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


A cadre of shadowspawn led by three Red Robe Damned Ones waited at a small ridge a league away from the Moon Kingdom’s outpost. This was the same one that had been attacked on the late Moon Council’s orders earlier in the month.

Unlike that attempt, however, this one wasn’t comprised of chaff. These shadowspawn were members of what could be considered the Dark One’s ‘Elite Corps’; until fairly recently, they had been housed in the Lower Reaches of the Realm of Light.

Nor were the Damned Ones leading them the same as the ones led by Glorious Sunrise that fateful day. These ones had led a number of successful campaigns against outposts before, though none this large. That wasn’t a concern to two of them; after all, they were Damned Ones. They had long ago gave up any identity they had, and had no wills of their own. Their pursuit of power, unlike Glorious Sunrise, was in effort to destroy the Moon Kingdom, not in revenge against their Master. The third, however, was different; it had not come to be Damned by its own choice.

This one had always retained a small measure of its own will, and the memories of its past. That was highly unusual, of course, but did little for it. It lacked the conviction to fight against its enslavement by its fellows, and was only able to follow orders.

No matter how detestable- and stupid -said orders were.

One would think that the Dark One had complete control over the Damned Ones; however, that was only the case with the majority. Red Robes were different; all had retained a small measure of their inner natures, and some even still possessed their gender and knowledge of their names. Few, however, were like Glorious Sunrise; most had become Damned in the pursuit of power, and had stupidly sold their souls willingly to the Dark One.

The Damned One our focus is on turned its head at the approach of a runner. The creature was a runner, correlating this group with the others that were poised to wipe the fortress off Lune’s surface. “Report,” said the leader.

With a hissing voice, the runner gave its report. “The camp I am part of has been attacked, along with the other six on the west side. Also, Moon Kingdom patrols are far heavier than they should be.” The leader snorted.

“It matters not; our Elite camps are well hid behind our barriers. We will succeed where the
Traitor failed; this fortress will fall, as have the others.” Its fellow nodded. The shadowspawn hissed in agreement, stomping the ground with their hooves. The unusual Damned One said nothing, preferring silence.

Suddenly, four more runners appeared. “Our hidden camps have fallen!” one of the ones in the middle of the group said in a hissing screech. “A pony in a strange, dark blue robe broke through our barriers. We’ve lost our reserve camp as well; a cadre of the Moon Kingdom’s Knights destroyed them all!”

The leader hissed in anger. “Damnation! Our Master will not take this failure lightly.” He turned to two of their own runners. “Send word to the remaining camps; let them know that we are to use the contingency plan.” The runners nodded.

The leader turned to his fellow Red Robes. The first one nodded in agreement; the unusual one, however, shook its head in refusal. “You have no choice, brother; we serve the Dark One’s will!” it hissed in anger. “This plan must go through, and only behemoths will suffice now that we have lost our reserves.”

“That describes you and that piece of offal standing next to you,” the unusual one said, causing the second one to hiss in anger. “Unlike the rest of you, I’m not stupid. Calling behemoths at this point in time would only be a waste of effort.” The unusual one smirked darkly. “Besides, this has nothing to do with the ‘Master’s’ will; this is your own effort to kiss plot. I’m only protesting because of that.”

“No, your reason in protest is a sign of your treason, as is your disrespect for our Master!” the third Red Robe said, brandishing a conjured mana blade. It swung it at the unusual one, who dodged fluidly. Scowling, the unusual one fired a large shadow burst, blasting the head of the third Red Robe into particles.

The first one snarled in impotent rage. Calling on its war axe, it swung it at the unusual one. The unusual one parried the axe with a small mana shield with little effort, then blinked to the side of the other Red Robe. Three swipes from its horn cut the first one into sections. The creature fell to the ground, as dead as its fellow.

Before the spawn could strike, the unusual one took forcible command of their wills, severing their connection from the Dark One. It then triggered the secret traps it had laid in the remaining camps before restoring the wills of the spawn.

The shadowspawn all blinked before bowing before their new master; they were now willing to serve the unusual Red Robe, something that the Dark One seldom had. It smirked before firing a bolt skyward.

A few minutes later, a patrol of Moon Knights- led by Commander Stern Gaze -landed around the spawn. Gaze frowned at the corpses of the two Red Robes. “I must admit, I wasn’t certain you had it in you. You’re certainly unusual, I will say that much; most Damned Ones lack the ability to fight against their Master.”

“He has never been my ‘Master’; I have only served him as long as I have because there was little choice. I am Damned because I was forced down this path; I did not take it willingly.”

“Willingly or not, you still are a Damned One. A traitorous Damned One, granted, but still a Damned One.” Gaze turned at a touch to his shoulder.

The cloaked pony that was standing next to him shook her head. She then walked until she stood before the unusual Red Robe. Pulling back her hood, she revealed herself to be none other than Princess Luna.

The unusual Red Robe prostrated itself before the Princess of the Night. “My Sovereign, it heartens me gladly to see that you are finally free of your Nightmare. I am ever your servant.”

Luna bent down. “You have proven that you still possess your soul; both Selene and Melanie have left their touch upon you. Let the Darkness that is within you become pure, and let the blessed Light of Lune be upon you and yours.”

At these words, moonlight began to radiate from the Red Robe and the shadowspawn. It soon grew to a level that was almost too bright. When it cleared, they were all changed.

Gaze stared in disbelief at the group of shadow ponies that he and his Knights now surrounded. Chief among them was what had once been the Red Robe; he now saw that it was in fact a female pegacorn.

Midnight Dream looked at herself in disbelief. “I-I thought that I was only a u-unicorn,” she stuttered. Luna smiled as she gave the new pegacorn a gentle hug. “Nay child; your hidden nature is part of what protected you. It is impossible to force even nascent pegacorns to; they must be willing to do so. It only took a willingness to serve the Light for you to free yourself.” She then turned to Gaze. “Commander, I think we should take our new allies to the fortress; they may have more information for us.” Gaze nodded. He gestured to his Knights, who proceeded to escort the shadow ponies to the fortress.


“I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this before,” Gaze said in disbelief. “I mean, I know that there’s a lot about magic I’m still learning, but everything I’ve seen so far has shown me that there’s no return once somepony gives themselves to the Dark One.” Luna snorted.

“The ‘Dark One’ is only able to take the willing; the Essences of Lune, Light, and Darkness preserve those that are not, or are sacrifices.” The Moon Princess sighed heavily. “Unfortunately, those of that variety seldom survive long; they often prove themselves as traitors at some point. Midnight’s willingness to do whatever she was told- up until recently -is not at all common.”

Midnight nodded. “I had to do what I could to survive; that wasn’t the first time I was accused of treason though.” The pegacorn smirked. “That’s actually been the seventeenth time. All have failed; most Red Robes are stupidly ignorant. That’s why they’re Damned in the first place; they were stupid in their pursuit of power.” Luna giggled.

“Yes; Nightingale says the same. She tells me that she has yet to meet more than a hoofful with any real intelligence; all of them were unwilling ones like Midnight.” Luna giggled again. “The Dark One isn’t even aware that some of his top generals are spies for our side.”

Gaze frowned. “Is that how you were able to inform us of the plan? That you were one of Mother’s spies?” Midnight shook her head at that.

“No. Up until recently, I was sealed in the Lower Reaches. I have Princess Rainbow Dash to thank for my freedom, actually; when she destroyed all of Sombra’s Shades, she inadvertently freed all of the Dark One’s elites. If you can call them that anyway.” The last was said with a snort of derision.

Gaze nodded. “We have much to thank Princess Rainbow Dash for, but there’s also a lot that what the Council wants to blame her for. The attacks are once more increasing.” He sighed. “In any case, I wish I could thank her; what we’ve been fighting lately is nowhere near as bad as what came before. I wish she was here so I could offer my thanks.”

“Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it,” a rough female voice said teasingly. The three ponies turned to see that none other than Rainbow Dash was standing next to them with a smirk on her muzzle.

Gaze blinked before bowing deeply. “I would like to thank you in pony, but since I can’t, thanking you this way is the best I can. Thanks for making my job a hell of a lot easier.” He smirked as he rose. “Not that the Council would agree with me.” Rainbow just shrugged.

“Eh, nothing new; Councils just don’t like it when we do things we’re not supposed to. They keep forgetting that they only exist for the same reason that pegacorns and alicorns do; to protect and serve the common pony.” Rainbow’s smirk grew into a smile. “And your thank-you is in pony; I’m able to make hard-light duplicates that are every bit as real as my real self. Comes with being the Alicorn of Light.”

Rainbow frowned at the prostrate pegacorn before her. “There’s no need for that; get up already.” Midnight rose a little self-consciously. She then squeaked cutely as the alicorn hugged her. “No matter how deep you went, Serenity never stopped loving you. She wants to tell you that in pony, so I’ve come to take you home.”

Midnight shook her head. “I may be a pegacorn, but I’m still a shadow pony; the Realm of Light is no longer my home.” Rainbow shook her head.

“No, your home is still the Lower Reaches; shadow ponies come from there naturally. It’s changed since you were freed; the Dark One has no more presence now.” Rainbow held Midnight at hoofs length. “I can see your answer. I told Serenity as much; she owes me fifty bits.”

After breaking off the hug, Midnight sighed. “As much as I would like to go home, I’m needed here. After all, I and my fellow shadow ponies can go where normal ponies can’t; we’re built for fighting in shadows and darkness.” She pointed her hoof to the south. “Until the Rift goes down and the Dark One’s power is gone, we’re needed here.”

Luna stomped her hoof. “As to that, it already should be gone, but the source of the Ritual Star Swirl used eludes me as of yet.” She ran a hoof through her mane in frustration. “I still don’t know why the Dark One targeted me like he did.”

Gaze blinked. “You mean, with the Nightmare?” Luna nodded.

“‘The Nightmare’, as you succinctly put it, was a dark manifestation of mine own power under the influence of a Greater Demon of Envy.” Luna took a sip of the tea before her before continuing. “However, it wasn’t a gradual effort. Up until my last visit to this Kingdom prior to my descent into madness, I was ignored in favor of my sister.” Luna scowled. “All I can think of is that I must have found something, and the Dark One needed that something. The trouble is, I still can’t figure out what it was. The only thing that comes to mind is that I found a twisted, corrupted pegacorn horn in the Path that goes between this Kingdom and Equus.” She shook her head. “Seems a stupid reason, but that’s the only thing of worth that I can think of.”

Rainbow looked up with an intense frown on her muzzle. “Was this horn red by any chance?” she asked, her tone harsh. Luna shook her head.

“My memory tells me that it was black and gold, in spirals. A rather unusual formation, which suggests that the pegacorn in question had an unusual coat color.” Luna frowned thoughtfully. “Now that I think about it, I remember something my sister once told me. About a beau she had when we briefly lived in Utopia, shortly before the war truly broke out between the Three Kingdoms. He was young- less than twenty -and possessed of a black coat with a golden mane and tail. Though she did say that he had red stripes as well. Curiously, his horn bore that self-same spiral. He disappeared before war truly broke out; my family fled to Roam to escape the lockdown that the Utopian High Council imposed.”

“You never saw him yourself, LuLu?” Rainbow Dash asked. The dark blue alicorn shook her head.

“If I did, I have no memory; I was a foal at the time. I truly grew up in Unicornia, after we fled Roam’s fall. A couple of centuries passed; I’m not sure of the dates precisely. You;d have to ask my sister.” Luna’s muzzle wore a sad frown. “Utopia and Equis were lost when Discord first appeared. Though Equestria did exist, it was an alliance of city-states at the time.” Her expression brightened. “I was glad that we were able to salvage Pegasopolis though.”

Stern Gaze frowned. “Wait, if Pegasopolis survived, where is it now?” Rainbow chuckled evilly.

“Oh, about a couple of decades after Luna’s Fall, a number of the militaristic clans decided they didn’t want to obey the laws coming out of Canterlot. They were deposed, their rule was broken, and Pegasopolis was broken into thirds. The main city was renamed Cloudsdale; the other two weren’t given names, as they were turned into cloud fortresses.”

“Yes, Fort Zephyr and Fort Stratus. They guard the north and south of Equestria to this day. I was surprised to see that, actually; that was one of my plans” Luna chuckled. “It seems as though much of what I had planned has actually been carried out. I had nothing but praise for ‘Tia when I realized that.” The others chuckled as well.

Midnight Dream blinked as something occurred to her. “Wait, you bet with Serenity that I wouldn’t return? How exactly is an Essence supposed to pay a bet? I mean, she has no physical form.” Rainbow Dash giggled.

“Oh, the Essences bet all the time; against just about anything really. As to not having a physical form, they’re limited to not being able to manifest anywhere on Equus’ surface. Once the Seal on the Dark One is fully undone, that’ll change.” Rainbow pulled a small bag of bits from out of her torc. “As to how they pay, well, they use the gold devotees leave in their offering chests.”

Luna chuckled. “Ponies think that the gold bits they put in those chests belong to the Temples. The Temples are supported by what is offered during services; plus, they aren’t forbidden to hold land or own businesses, so many temples get revenue from those sources as well.”

Midnight blinked. “Huh, I always thought clergy were to surrender earthly possessions.” Rainbow shook her head.

“Not entirely; they themselves can’t work a shop or till a field, but there’s nothing stopping them from owning such things.” Rainbow waved a hoof. “Well, nothing stops the Temple in question; most devotees do turn in all worldly possessions. Those that are serving in lieu of prison have to. However, there are plenty that aren’t ascetics, and still keep personal possessions.”

“Faith in the Essences isn’t about denying equine nature; it is about Balance. Those that do give up their worldly possessions often do so because they wish to rise above, as an exemplary. Or, as Princess Rainbow said, because they are serving a sentence.” Luna smiled. “It has ever been that way in Equestria, ever since before the Founding.” Her smile turned into an evil grin. “The only time the Council ever tried to impose restrictions on faith, they faced a mass revolt and revolution by Equestria’s military. My sister and I weren’t involved; we had no political authority at the time.” Luna laughed. “Oh, I just loved the look on Blueblood the Tenth’s muzzle when his own son knocked his pompous plot down the stairs; it was priceless.” The others laughed as well.

Stern Gaze looked at Luna. “Something that Angela once told my mother has always puzzled me; if you were supposed to be Princess of Equestria, why was that role given to your sister?” LUna scowled.

“I wasn’t supposed to be Princess; the common ponies wanted me as their Queen.” Luna scowled. “There was little they could do, however; only those with land or title had voting right in those days. Happily, that has since changed.” Luna’s scowl turned into a satisfied smirk. “Nobles these days have no real authority, even those in the High Council. All the power is held by the High Seats of the Grand Assembly, the Alicorn Council, and the Council of Eight. All the rest of the nobles are only so much window dressing, save for those that are Ministers of their respective territories.”

Gaze snorted angrily. “Our own nobles have been nothing but trouble; we should have done the same that Equestria did years ago, but Mother is far too kind.” Midnight snorted at that.

“Kind? You call Sealing entire Councils in crystal kind?? If so, then your definition of kindness is bizarre.” Midnight snorted again. “I really don’t see how Crystal Sealing is supposed to be any kind of kindness.”

“That’s because you’re not seeing the whole picture; my original Charter called for the purification by Moonfire of anypony found to be a traitor.” Midnight shuddered at the harsh expression Luna was wearing. “I have little love for selfish fools, and wanted none of that in this kingdom. Had I still been around, there wouldn’t be a Moon Council.”

“Actually, that’s precisely what Mother did to the first Council, and the two that were formed as replacement.” Gaze sighed. “It was after the third one that she couldn’t take it any more; that was punishing those that only acted out of fear. So she resorted to Sealing through Hope’s Law instead.” Luna nodded.

“As was her right. Looking back, the purging ordinance was perhaps a bit too harsh; in hindsight, mine own troubles with nobles at the time may have had something to do with that.” Luna sighed heavily. “I myself suffer from an overkind heart as well; it is why having ponies reject me by the false rumors spread by those nobles hurt so.” She gestured towards the north. “I created this Kingdom as an act of kindness; looking back, I see that I was right in doing so.”

“History remembers it differently; Celestia is seen as being kind, while you were often seen as cold.” Rainbow Dash snorted. “Yet more lies; Celly told me that she struggles with being kind.”

Stern Gaze snorted. “Mother is far too kind for her own good sometimes.” He sighed. “Still, if it weren’t for her, this Kingdom would have fallen long ago.” Both Luna and Rainbow Dash shook their heads at that.”

“If the Rift had been fully breached, Angela, the Guardians, and Hope herself would have descended upon the Dark One; He would have been torn to shreds.” Luna smirked. “I’m no fool; I had made hard pacts with the both of them to preserve this Kingdom. The only reason why Nightingale is here instead is because the Pact I made with the Essences of Shadow, Darkness, and Light took precedence.”

Gaze frowned. “But I thought that the spells Star Swirl laid prevented the Essences- and those that are Bound to them -from acting. How would they have been able to do so?”

“Bugger Star Swirl to Tartarus; the only reason why the Binding works at all is because the Essences allow it.” Rainbow smirked at the shocked expression on Gaze’s muzzle. “Oh, did you really think such a two-bit hack wizard like Star Swirl had power over the Essences themselves?” She snorted disdainfully. “They seldom stand on choice; however, with the potential loss of a Sworn Kingdom, they would have acted.” Rainbow stomped her hoof. “Hope has been actively breaking every single enchantment that Star Swirl ever laid that she could get her hooves on; out of respect for Astrolia, she left the ones in Equestria alone.” Her smile returned. “Thanks to Celly’s temper, that no longer matters.”

Gaze scowled. “They should have done differently; we’re in this mess because of what Star Swirl did.” Rainbow nodded.

“Which is why Harmony finally intervened, and took him...somewhere. Where exactly is known only to the Essences.” She held a hoof up. “Before you ask whether or not he’s still alive, the answer is yes. He is the fulcrum upon which all of his spells sits. His death would have spelled great disaster for many nations. We weren’t at all able to handle His forces at that time.” Rainbow smirked. “He thinks the same now; however, we’ve got Guardians on our side that tip the Balance well into our favor.”

“In fact, the only ones we lack are ones of Darkness, of Storms, and of the Four Winds. Princess Sunset Shimmer is the Alicorn of the Primal Heart, so that avenue is blocked to His forces.” Luna chuckled. “He has never been able to use those forces themselves; they abide not the touch of Evil, and never have.”

“Don’t let Shimmy hear you call her a princess; she’ll go up one side of your flank and down the other LuLu,” Rainbow Dash snarked. Luna’s only response was immature; she simply blew a raspberry. The other ponies chuckled. Rainbow soon sobered. “However, He still has much power; legions of Shadowspawn wait to cross over. Plus, there are those on Equus that would willingly rise to His banner. Or, rather, the Banner of the Dark King. Without the last three Guardians, He will also be able to bring Storms, the Fell Winds of Windigoes, and Darkness itself to bear upon us.”

“Something tells me that we only have to wait. She of the Storms and He of the Four Winds were once present a long time ago, but were lost to us when the Dragon Lord managed to get free.” Luna’s eyes turned to slits. “Though she doubted me at the time, I know for a fact that his fetters were loosened by dint of the High Council of Utopia. At the time, she was convinced of that city’s purity.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “As if; Utopia was His even before the Keystone was laid. And it’s destruction came from within; Roam and Astropolis both survived, but the common pony rose up against the Council and tore them apart. If and when Star Swirl returns, he will find out that all his efforts to preserve Utopia were for nothing.”

“Star Swirl’s efforts were not to preserve Utopia; they were to preserve his family. They would not leave the city they called home, the lot of them.” The four ponies turned to see that yet another alicorn had joined them. Princess Hope smiled at them as she continued. “He had asked- not demanded, but asked -for the Light and for Harmony to preserve any and all in Utopia that were worthy.” Hope snorted. “He long suspected that the heart of the city of his birth was sick deep within, but he was never able to prove so. Granted, not even the High Council itself were fully aware that they were thralls of the Dark One. All except his chief servant. At its fall, Astrolia took his head herself. Oops, I meant that Clover the Clever did.” The others- save for Midnight, who was cringing -chuckled.

“No reason to be a shrinking violet, Midnight Dream; Harmony does not hold what you did while a Damned One against you. You were unwilling in your servitude; the sins are against the ones that sacrificed you, ones that I Sealed in crystal when they were complete. Yours was the last Dark Ritual ever performed in this Kingdom; since then, I have Cleansed all who have decided to make the attempt, and have Sealed away those that have Bound their lives to their children for safety or have sold them to the Dark One.” Hope nodded at Luna. “Thanks to both her and Nightingale, I have more freedom here than I ever did in Equestria. That is, until recently.”

Hope turned to Rainbow Dash. She held out a small bag full of bits. “Your winnings from the other Essences. Chronos was grumbling something fierce; he bet a thousand against Midnight staying.” Rainbow Dash smirked.

“Hay, what can I say; I know how those that have Loyalty think.” Rainbow opened the bag, pouring its contents into her own pouch. “This’ll work quite nicely for a gift for Twi.”

“And what will she say when she finds out you’ve been betting, Rainbow Dash?” Luna asked with a smirk. Rainbow snorted.

“Hay, Applejack and I bet on things all the time; she’ll just roll her eyes.” Rainbow snorted. “Course, I usually lose against her more than I win, except when playing poker. She has no poker face; you know when she’s bluffing something fierce.” The others chuckled.

Midnight was still uncomfortable; that is, until Hope pulled her into her hooves. “I told you; you did what you had to,” she whispered softly. Midnight pushed into the hug. After a bit, they separated. Glancing to the side, she saw the pensive, almost jealous gaze that Luna was wearing. As Hope lingered net to her, LUna suddenly glared at her fellow alicorn’s back.

“Well, I have business I have to attend to; there’s still dratted paperwork. Damn monster is worse than the Dark One,” he grumbled. The others laughed.

“I got time; my real self is currently on a double date with Shimmy and Moondancer at the moment, though she’s kinda bored with three egg-heads at the table.” Luna turned in shock at that.

“Wait, Sunset is dating her friend Moondancer?! When did this happen?” she asked. Rainbow grinned.

“About a week after you and Celly left for Neighico. That was something to see, Twilight said.” Rainbow looked thoughtful. “In fact, I think we can see it; Twi recently taught me a Past Viewing spell she made based on that one potion of Zecora’s. I haven’t had a real chance to test it yet.

Concentrating, Rainbow Dash summoned mana to the tip of her horn, forming the runic on her mind’s calligraphy board. The spell flashed forward, creating a viewing window. The other ponies looked on as the scene unfolded.



Moondancer waited in one of the less used conference rooms for the Princess. A runner had come to her classroom the other day, saying that Princess Twilight wished to speak to her about her work in simplifying unicorn runic. She was shocked; she didn’t realize that her work was known outside of the few that she told about it.

She looked up at the pony that stood before her. Sunset, now with wings, looked both sad and apologetic. “Moondancer, I-I’m sorry I left like I did without saying anything,” the alicorn started to say, only for a white hoof to stop her.

“None of that Sunny; it was years ago. You’re still the best friend I’ve ever had.” She smiled. “I love the wings, by the way. Congratulations on receiving your dream.” Sunset rolled her eyes.

“I now wish that I hadn’t had that particular wish; being the Bound alicorn for five juvenile Essences is as bad as herding cats.” The two giggled at that. Sunset looked at the pony she had yearned for for years now. Moondancer was every bit as cute as she remembered, and having her before her was almost more than she could bear.

The two sat and talked for a bit, reconnecting. Sunset had yet to reconnect with any of the others except for Lyra Heartstrings; she was living in Ponyville, so that was easy.

The temptation to do something she always wanted was getting harder to ignore. Moondancer looked around. “Where’s Princess Twilight? I was supposed to meet her. To her surprise, Sunset blushed.

“Ah crud, I forgot my reason for coming here; Twilight had to cancel at the last minute. They arrested yet another group of idiot nobles that tried to launch another coup; this time in New Mareleans.” Sunset giggled at Moondancer’s huff.

“Well, she wanted to see what I had come up with concerning my pet project,” Moondancer said. She opened her saddlebags and pulled out a notebook. Opening it, she showed Sunset her simplified runic alphabet. “I’ve been spending the last few years testing this on every spell I know.” She flipped to where she had wrote down the runic for the Flutter-wing spell.

Sunset blinked as she compared that to the one she was taught. “Why, a foal with basic reading could cast that, assuming they had the requisite wellspring needed! Are you sure you’ve pared down all the unnecessary symbols though?” Moondancer looked smug as she nodded.

“I’ve proved that this is the original form of the runic as taught by the pegacorns to their unicorn children. Books I’ve found on the subject is what led me to take away what wasn’t needed. Pity I can’t teach it though; the Board of Education has told me that they will take my Master’s away if I so much as even think of doing so.”

Sunset frowned. “So, they know then. Well, we’re going to tell Twilight; they’ve overstepped their bounds yet again. Looks like Twilight and Rainbow Dash will have to nerf yet another bureaucratic Council staffed by ponies that aren’t either parents or teachers.” The alicorn smirked. “Met any cute colts lately, Dancer?” Moondancer snorted.

“I’m not interested in boys, unlike you, Minuette, and Twinkleshine. I was focused on my schooling like Twilight when we were fillies. Besides, the idea of a colt sticking his thing there is disgusting.” Moondancer blushed a bit. “I have had a few fantasies about being sandwiched between Princess Twilight and Princess Rainbow Dash, though.”

Sunset blinked before she started to smile. “So, you prefer fillies. Well, I go both ways myself, though I limited myself to girls while pretending to date Flash Sentry.” She looked at her friend. “There is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time though.”

“What, find yourself a colt friend or mmph!?” Moondancer’s words were muffled as Sunset kissed her. She broke off the kiss after a few moment, gazing at the love and affection in Sunset’s eyes. They moved to kiss again, both moving closer to each other.


Rainbow Dash blushed before cancelling the spell. “Ah, thinks got a little bit steamy after a bit there.” The other ponies blushed as well; except for Hope. All she did was roll her eyes.

“Well, there’s places I need to be, so I’m off as well. Harmony bless.” So saying, Hope teleported away. Rainbow Dash sighed.

“I guess I should go as well; holding up two forms like this is tiring.” Rainbow’s form began to sparkle as it turned into light, before fading away.

Midnight looked at Luna. “I guess I should find something to do; at least until Gaze needs me.” Luna shook her head.

“Actually, Nightingale has expressed a desire to meet you. She says that she remembers that there were other pegacorns before her.” Luna giggled at Midnight’s expression. “I’ll say this much, though; I’m getting first taste.”

“What are you--” Midnight was interrupted by a kiss from the Lunar Princess. It soon devolved into more than just kissing.”


Equus, Moon Kingdom, 06-25-05 A.N.M., 7:24 A.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


Luna sighed in content as she lay next to the other members of her new herd. As expected, Nightingale and Brilliant Gaze- Stern Gaze’s father -readily accepted Midnight Dream as a member. Luna giggled softly as she recalled the shocked expression on the mare’s muzzle.

Sighing softly, the lunar alicorn got up from the bed and made her way to the suite’s balcony. After a few minutes alone, she was joined by Nightingale. “Thinking of the past again, dear heart?” she asked Luna, Luna shook her head.

“I no longer need to think; I know what it is that caused Him to single me out. He was after the Lost One’s Horn.” Nightingale blinked.

“Wait, there is a legend about this then?” she asked. Luna nodded.

“In the days before the Fall of the Three Kingdoms, ponies spoke of a dark,brooding pegacorn with a mane and tail of gold.” Luna wrinkled her nose. “I truly have no reason why, as there was no such thing.” She frowned. “However, I do believe he was one of the last ponies on Equus’ surface to be sacrificed to the Dark One. After the Fall, the Kingdom of Equestria and other put to the sword anyone that was found to have done so.”

“No, what I believe is that he may very well be the last of us Guardians. True control of Darkness eludes Him, so he has been searching for it all this time.” Luna frowned. “Why only his horn is left, I do not understand, but it doesn’t matter. All of the Dark One’s Power over Darkness is tied to it; it needs to be returned to its owner so he can destroy it.” She suddenly looked sad. “It will be hard on the two who will be tasked with that, though.”

Nightingale sighed. “Well, I see that you are leaving then.” Luna nodded.

“Only for a time, then I will return.” Concentrating briefly, LUna summoned a small casket she had fashioned years ago. “Wait for me when the door appears love; I will be revealing myself to our Kingdom then.” She then teleported away.

All Nightingale did was sigh.


Luna gazed down at the object in her hooves. As she thought, it was a pegacorn’s horn, twisted yet pristine. Lifting it up in her magic, she could feel that it was the primary focus for all of Star Swirl’s spells, Most especially, the Rift itself.

Luna lifted the casket she had fashioned shortly before she fell to her Envy. Placing the horn inside of it, she shut the lid. She then intoned the last phrase needed to create the Seal on the casket. “Let this be Sealed so that only She of Friendship, of Magic, of the Shadow, may Undo it.”

Light crackled around the casket as the Seal took. Luna then finished her journey back to her tower.

Less than ten minutes later, she was standing at the door leading to Twilight Sparkle’s chambers-- Rainbow Dash had none at Canterlot Castle. She raised a hoof and knocked on the door.

A sleepy, ruffled unicorn answered. Moondancer’s sleepy look cleared as soon as she saw who it was at the door. “Oh, Princess Luna! I thought that you and Princess Celestia were still in Prance!”

“Nay, My Little Pony; mine sister is, but I have had business elsewhere this past week.”Luna looked past Moondancer to where Sunset Shimmer was sleeping on what was supposed to be Twilight and Rainbow Dash’s bed. She turned as a pair of mares came out of the bathing room. Twilight and Rainbow Dash both blinked as the saw Luna standing at the door. “Ah, just the mare I wished to see. Twilight, I must speak with thee before Morning Court.” Twilight nodded.

“Actually, we’re not having Court, as Rainbow has to go on another set of raids. This time it’s the nobles and Council in San Prancisco.” Twilight looked at Luna. “Luna, how mad would Celestia be if I were to just dissolve the nobles? Or at least, get rid of the moneyed lot; we’ve had no less than three attempted coups in the last two weeks.” Luna chuckled.

“I think my sister would be irritated in that she wasn’t here to see it; she to has come to realize that the nobles are proving to be rather useless.” Luna sighed. “I, however, have come to realize that it only seems that way. By and large, what we are dealing with is a vocal- and stupid -minority. The majority of the nobles are actually of some worth; you and your friends are a prime example.” Twilight nodded.

“Yes, exactly. Which is why I said we should limit it to the moneyed lot; most of those are the ones that are unable- or unwilling -to work in the existing system.” Twilight ran a hoof through her damp mane in frustration. “I just wish that all of these leftovers would just dry up; Rainbow Dash thinks that this might just be the last. All of the other territories rooted out their own corruption without Crown assistance.” She looked at Luna. “What’s this about, Luna? It seems as though you have something you need me to do.” Luna nodded.

After a bit, the two were in Luna’s suite of rooms. Luna walked over to where she left the casket. “I found this in the Path between Equestria and the Moon Kingdom. I’m not certain if I know what it is,”- this was partly a lie, as it was all but confirmed -“but I think that this might be why the Dark One decided to focus on me.” She held the casket in front of Twilight.

Twilight took it in her own levitation aura and set it down. She then ran her hoof around the edge. The seal responded to her touch, causing the top to pop open. She lifted the horn inside out with a frown of recognition. “This looks just like the horn of the Lost One, but that’s just a tale. There’s absolutely no evidence supporting it; even folklore has some.” Unnoticed by the two ponies, the light of Sol touched the horn, causing a brief flare.

Twilight frowned. “I know that flavor of magic residue; Star Swirl used this as a focus to bind… something. Something large.” She looked closer, her horn taking on a darker purple aura as she cast a diagnostic spell. “Huh; whatever he did, it’s already starting to fade.” Twilight frowned as she scanned deeper. “There’s further magic tied to it though; something deep.” Suddenly, she yelped, thrusting it back into the casket and re-sealing the lid. “That thing’s dangerous; it’s tied to both Darkness and the Dark One!” She shuddered. Luna hugged her.

“Can it be destroyed, Twilight Sparkle?” she asked. Twilight nodded.

“Yes, but only by the one whom it belongs to.” Concentrating, the purple alicorn used mingled light and shadow mana to send it to her palace. “I put it in the chamber at the Palace of Friendship; up until recently, I was keeping the Alicorn Amulet there, but the damn thing up and vanished.” Luna nodded. “If I have time after the raids and subsequent titles, I’ll do some research.”

Luna sighed heavily. “Well, at least we have found the reason why I was targeted; he must be after said horn,” she stated as the two made their way to the throne room. Before they could get very far, a runner suddenly appeared.

“Princess Twilight! Word has come from Fort Zephyr; a door made of some strange material has suddenly appeared!” Twilight and Luna both looked at each other in consternation.

“Well, I think things have just changed irrevocably. What do you suppose happened?” Twilight asked. Luna smiled.

“I think that the Dark One is no longer going to be much of a problem for awhile at least; He has been dealt a severe blow.”


Upon Lune’s surface, inside the Rift itself, the Dark One waited. He now knew that the Horn was lost to him, but He would soon be freed.

Suddenly, the barrier on both sides fell. He grinned savagely, only to see a radiant form appear before him. In a voice filled with raw Power, Harmony spoke.

“It is finished! By Harmony’s Light; With the Blessing of Creation; and By the Will of Justice; let the Fallen One’s once Sealed Power be Obliterated!”

A brilliant flash of light flared from nowhere. The Dark One cried out in pain and rage as all the Power he had gathered since the fall of Utopia was consumed by holy light, forcing him to flee to the Umbral Realm.

The Light continued to grow, purifying those shadowspawn that were able to be purified. The Lost Ones and the Damned Ones that were left were consumed as well. As abruptly as it had started, the light faded.

Suddenly, a bolt of pure radiance flared. When it was finished, there now stood a large Gate made of Moon Crystal. What had been desired by the Moon Princess was finally realized; there was now a true path between the Moon Kingdom and Equestria.

Things had most certainly changed; time would tell if these changes were for the better, or for the worst.

Author's Note:

It's finally finished.

I had more originally planned, but much of that is actually part of another tale; it really doesn't fit in this one.

I'll put in blog post when I start work on the next fic.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you when Twilight and company return in the next fic.

Until then...

May the Shwartz be with you!