• Published 24th May 2015
  • 10,511 Views, 642 Comments

Tiny Twilight Tales - Foals Errand



Small glimpses into Twilight Sparkle's early years as Princess Celestia's student.

  • ...
15
 642
 10,511

Break

“Almost, almost, almost!” With her hooves planted firmly on the floor, Twilight kept her focus fully on the ball she levitated—her little tongue sticking out as she concentrated. A few sputtering sparks fell from her horn as she pulled her tongue back in and gritted her teeth. Princess Celestia had left the room a few minutes ago in distress—something about a pony or something that Twilight had been too absorbed in her lesson to really listen to— though she had heard Princess Celestia tell her that she’d be back within the next hour and for her to continue to read the chapter they had been discussing. Twilight had tried—she really had— but at four years old, her attention span was far shorter than even a filly double her age. So when she had seen that globe behind her teacher’s lectern, well, what better chance to work on her levitation?

“Come on, come on, come on…” the ball wavered in her magical grasp, “No! No, stay up, stay up!” Twilight strained, but it was just too much. Five feet from the floor, her horn sparked out and the globe smashed into the ground, shattering into hundreds of pieces across the tiled floor.

It took exactly five seconds for two facts to hit Twilight harder than a buffalo at full charge. One, her magic was a lot weaker then she remembered and two, Princess Celestia’s globe, which was probably hundreds of years older than Twilight could ever hope to be, was laying on the floor, smashed into at least thirty three pieces. “Oh no, this is bad! This is really, really bad!”

Twilight grabbed at her ears and stared at the globe, as if trying to force time to go back to when it hadn’t been smashed. Unfortunately, time didn’t work that way, and the globe remained shattered.

“Okay, okay, I can fix this,” she said as her little voice rose with her panic. “I can! Option one: I run away and leave Equestria and become a... what did mommy call them? A gypsy pony… No, not a great option. Okay option two: I search the Princess’s desk for some type of paste and fix the globe!” Her eyes brighten. “Yes, that sounds much better!” With a nod to herself, she began searching Princess Celestia’s desk, causing various office supplies to fly from the drawers because of her search.


A worn sigh escaped Princess Celestia as she made her way back to her study. The fact that she had been taken from her lessons with Twilight for something as mind numbing as a complaint of social etiquette was enough to drive anypony batty. I swear, sometimes I think that the nobility would be unable to wipe themselves if I didn’t give them permission to do so.

A huff escaped her. At least she’d never have to worry about Twilight Sparkle acting like that in front of her. She glanced at the clock as she passed it by and winced. It had been over an hour since she had to leave Twilight alone but she knew the little filly was very studious. Well we can end the lesson a bit early. Maybe go outside and play hide and seek? Yes, that will be nice! With a smile back on her muzzle, Celestia opened the door to her study and stared at the sight in front of her.

Twilight Sparkle sat on the floor with a haphazardly glued globe in front of her; her fur caked with paste. Celestia’s lips twitched as she stared at the sight.

“Twilight Sparkle?” She called gently to see the little filly’s head lift in shock, her eyes wide and her bottom lip trembling.

“I’m so sorry, Princess Celestia! I was just trying to practice my levitation! I didn’t mean to break it!” Twilight’s ears pinned back and bits of her mane sprang up. “Please don’t make me go away and become a gypsy pony!”

Celestia blinked a few times before a laugh burst from her muzzle.

The little filly lowered her gaze to the floor, her body quivering. “I-I’m so sorry, Princess Celestia.”

Getting her giggles under control, Celestia smiled down at her. “Oh Twilight! I would never send you away, especially just because you had an accident.”

Twilight sniffled, wiping her eyes with a pasty hoof. “R-Really?”

Celestia nodded and wrapped Twilight in a gentle, winged hug. “Really. Now; since you are going to need a bath anyways before bed, why don’t we go out to the garden and play hide and seek?”

Twilight immediately perked up, her tears gone just as fast. “Oh yes!” Her ears pinned back for a moment, a sheepish look playing on her face. “Um, Princess? Do you think that maybe…” Twilight gestured for Celestia to bend her neck down so she could whisper in her ear. A warm smile tugged at Celestia’s lips as she bent down to listen.

Minutes later, several guards were wondering if something had been added to the water as Princess Celestia galloped past them—a lavender foal on her back giggling wildly. “Giddy up Princess,” the filly squealed as she clung to Celestia’s mane.

One of the guards blinked before returning to stand next to his partner. “Did you see…”

The older guard gave a gruff shake of his head. “No, and neither did you.”

Author's Note:

So here's a new adorable little thing. I'll update it when I have ideas... Or! better idea you tell me what you'd like to see!