• Published 17th May 2015
  • 5,670 Views, 34 Comments

And It Rained All Night - Vertigo-01



Scootaloo has considered Rainbow Dash to be her big sister for years. But on one night particular, she decides to let her in on an embarrassing, if not endearing, secret.

  • ...
5
 34
 5,670

The Storm

Many know Rainbow Dash as the pegasus who keeps the skies clear over Ponyville. She's the number one cloud-kicker here, if not in all Equestria, renowned for bringing sunshine into the lives of ponies all across town.

But tonight, for me alone, she is the mare who brings the storm.

I had been sitting here on the balcony of mine and my friends’ old clubhouse for several hours now, straight up to sunset, waiting for her arrival. Having spent so much time over the years in this secluded spot of Sweet Apple Acres, I hadn’t realized until today just how much the place has aged. I can still remember when Sweetie Belle and I first saw the repairs Apple Bloom made on her sister’s gift to us – the new wood panels, the fresh paint, everything. Slowly, over the years, it settled into something much more homely. The curtains have developed a light film of dust, something which Sweetie never would’ve accepted once upon a time. The map we drew of Ponyville is barely readable anymore, the crayon having lost most of its color over the years. Even the Rainbow Dash poster has faded slightly with time.

At some point while pondering all this, I dozed off leaning against the weathered railing. I eventually woke up to a pretty bad crick in my neck, but as soon as I heard the first few drops of rain overhead, nothing else mattered.

I ran out into the clearing just beyond the clubhouse, looking up at the dark clouds overhead. A lone pegasus was covering up the last bit of evening sky, hiding away the setting sun for another day. There was something strangely pleasant about the thought, as if she were blanketing the whole world away from everyone but us.

Of course, I'd probably never let on that I thought of something that corny. So not cool.

There were a couple dull rumbles of thunder just beyond the trees that lined the surrounding orchards, followed by another few drops of light rain. My ears flicked here and there, soaking in the familiar, wonderful sounds.

Finally, I saw her. Like a splash of color against grey canvas, she streaked her way across the sky beneath the clouds, only breaking her speed as she came into a descent. I was all smiles by this point.

With a firm thud, Rainbow Dash landed all four hooves at once in the dirt a few hooves in front of me, taking a moment to preen her feathers before the drizzle became a downpour. I trotted up to her, trying to contain my excitement. Even after all these years, I still find it difficult at times to be myself around her – at least for the first few minutes when we meet. I just never want her to think I'm not cool or something like that. Deep inside, I know it's stupid, but I still worry sometimes that—

“Hey, squirt.”

I looked up. Rainbow Dash was smirking that knowing smirk.

“Seriously, you gonna just stand there staring off into space?”

I stammered, “Uh, heh, s-sorry Rainbow.” This is why I hate getting lost in thought.

Rainbow's smirk turned into a warm smile as she walked beside me and sat down. Another rumble of thunder reverberated off the trees and clubhouse surrounding us, shifting the dark clouds overhead to herald in the shower.

I looked toward the sky and closed my eyes, soaking in the sounds and scents of the storm. As the first few bigger drops of rain hit my muzzle, I felt a wing wrap around my back. Normally, I would try to feign some degree of embarrassment, even if just for Rainbow's sake. But as much as I consider the pegasus next to me an idol, she is also the closest thing I have to a sister.

No, scratch that. She is my sister.

And when I remember this – when I actually accept the fact that Rainbow Dash, my favorite pegasus in the world, is also one of my closest friends, I can be myself. I can drop the facade that she has more than once done for me. Especially recently.

I breathed a sigh and relaxed my body into her embrace. She leaned her head against the top of mine while we watched the storm unleash its fury onto us. Like every storm of hers before, the thunder began low and ominous before building into something passionate. But like Rainbow Dash's many stunt performances, they came and went in a blink, lasting only long enough to demand an encore.

Well, tonight, I guess I got my wish.

“So,” Rainbow Dash suddenly spoke, nearly causing me to jump in place. “You gonna tell me what this is all about? Or did you just drag me out here to get soaked?”

I scoffed. “You'll think it's silly.”

Rainbow took a breath before speaking in a somewhat serious tone. “Scoots, you know better. You should by now anyway.”

She was right. I did. But that didn’t make me any less nervous.

“Well,” I started, glancing away toward a grove of trees that shimmered beneath a flash of lightning. “I'm not sure what you'll think…”

“Scoots,” Rainbow droned.

“Okay, okay.” I drew a deep breath before going for it. “So… as you know, I've been your biggest fan for years now. Even before we were officially friends.”

“Yeah, kind of gathered that from the fan club you used to have—”

“You want me to explain or not?”

“Okay, jeez,” Rainbow chuckled. “Go on.”

“As I was saying… Before our first camping trip – heck, before I even knew about you – I used to love the rain. I know most ponies don't like bad weather, and back then, thunder used to scare me pretty bad. But there was always something calming about the rain. I really loved when it rained at night when I was going to bed.”

Rainbow smirked. “Bet you were a bed-wetter.”

Was not,” I yelled back, jabbing her hard in the side. She giggled, though she kept her wing's grip tight on me. “So anyway… yeah. I used to be scared of a lot of things back then – like headless horses, as you probably remember.”

“How could I not?”

I smiled. “But after you took me in as your little sister, that changed. Not only did you inspire me to be braver, but…” I paused for a moment as anxiety began to sink in again.

That didn't last long though, as Rainbow stroked her wing across my back, patiently waiting for me to resume my ramble.

“…So, then I found out you worked for the weather team. And after that, when it rained… I would think of you.” I waited to see if Rainbow would laugh, but when she maintained her silence, allowing only the sound of the storm to break the air, I continued. “It probably sounds creepy, or weird, or… I don’t know. But nights after that, when I guess you guys had a storm scheduled or something, I would always think of you before falling asleep. The sound of the rain against the window, the wind, even the thunder that used to scare me – it was like you were right there, all around, watching over the world and… keeping us safe.” I turned my head away as I mumbled, “Keeping me safe.”

For a moment, there was only the sound of the storm. I wondered if Rainbow expected me to say more, but when I began to feel a quiver travel down her side against mine, I knew what was going on. Before she could say or do anything more, I let out a long, exasperated groan.

Baaahahahaha,” Rainbow cackled, losing her wing's grip around me and falling to her back. I didn't even bother to look over at the mare.

After a moment, I guess when she realized I wasn't going to yell at her, she stumbled to her hooves and walked in front of me, still giggling. “Aw, c'mon squirt,” she said with a trembling voice, “you gotta admit, that sounds like the start of a really sappy love story.”

“And that's why I didn't want to tell you,” I grumbled as she fought to contain her laughter. “Seriously, it's humiliating.”

Rainbow finally regained her composure and said, “I know, I know – I'm sorry, kid.” She smiled. “Really, I am.”

I waited a moment before smiling a little in return. “But, yeah. Now you know.” I looked up at the storm and exhaled slowly. “It's not a big deal, I know. But this is why I wanted to see a storm before… you know…”

Rainbow blinked. She didn't need to hear me say the words to understand what I meant. Without hesitation, she walked up to me and tilted my head toward hers with a hoof. “Scoots. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh at you, especially considering what you're about to go through.”

“Yeah.” I nodded, bringing her hoof back down to the mud beneath us with mine. “I know. And…” I chuckled a little as I said, “Honestly, it wouldn't have felt right if you hadn't. It's you. It's just like you to find the humor in it all, Rainbow.”

A moment passed in peaceful silence before Rainbow pulled me into her embrace. I nuzzled into her chest, almost too tall now to do so anymore. But it was my home. And I was thankful she would still hold me like this after all these years.

But then I heard something. My ears flicked to the side. It was faint, but clear enough to tell.

Rainbow was sniffling.

I pulled back a little from her embrace. The front of her prismatic mane was draped across her forehead in a surprisingly silly manner, which all but insulted the expression she carried right now. Even as the rain soaked her muzzle, I could still make out the tears welling in her eyes.

So, my hero can cry after all.

“Rainbow,” I whispered, just loud enough to sound above the rolling thunder. “It's okay. It's more than okay.” I glanced over her shoulder at a streak of lightning. “This is everything I could have ever hoped for.”

Rainbow squeezed her eyes close, trapping the tears inside. She turned away for a second, but then she must have thought against it, as she lowered her head to nuzzle against the side of mine. I was beyond the point of flinching now; to see my big sis, the steel-nerved Rainbow Dash, cry because of… me? Me, of all ponies in the world?

Without warning, she pulled me tighter against her chest, almost knocking the air out of my lungs. I began to shake a little. Rainbow Dash crying was something altogether foreign to me, and I didn't know how to react. I certainly didn't mean to upset her like this. I'm supposed to be her coolest fan, and now—

“I love you, Scootaloo.”

…Okay, now that's taking the joke too far—

“I love you,” she said again. Pulling out of the embrace, I gave her a sideways glare. My expression didn't hold out for very long as my ears drooped at the sight of her misery.

“I… I don't understand,” I eventually muttered. “Rainbow Dash, are you okay?”

She wiped a foreleg across her closed eyes, the tears now escaping in full force, then opened them to give me a stern look. “You, of all ponies, are asking if I am okay?”

I blanched, hanging my head low and away from her stare.

“Scootaloo…” She placed a wet, muddy hoof on my shoulder. We both looked at it for a second as the mud smeared over my coat, before breaking out into a short chuckle. She then continued. “I know we don't get to hang out very often, but… over the years, I've got to watch you grow up. I saw you get your cutie mark, have your first coltfriend… The camping trips we took with our friends, the trips to see the Wonderbolts together – all of it. All the fun things that a filly gets to do, I was there to watch you do them.” She stifled a sniffle and said, “But I want to see you do all the fun things a mare gets to do as well.”

I scoffed. “What, you mean like getting a job and paying bills?” I laughed a little, trying to maintain some of the brevity we regained a moment ago. But when I looked back at Rainbow, she maintained a steady expression.

“Scootaloo. I'm serious. This is a big deal, what you're about to go through.”

I slouched with a sigh, giving her a nod as my silent response.

She continued. “There's so many things in this world I want you to experience, Scoots, like having a foal or… traveling the world – I dunno.” A sad smile worked its way into her expression as she added, “Maybe pull off some awesome stunts even I can't do.”

I laughed, returning my attention fully to her. “I think I already did that the time I jumped my scooter over Sugarcube Corner.”

Rainbow let out a good, hearty laugh before saying, “Yeah, you scared half the town with that crazy stunt… even me.”

Now that surprised me. I scared Rainbow Dash? I smirked at the thought for a moment before returning to the looming subject. “Again, it's okay, Rainbow. I'm a big filly now – practically a grown mare, anyway. I'm more than capable of facing this on my own.”

Rainbow blinked. “On your own?”

Crap. I stammered, “Th-that's not what I—”

It was too late. “Don't you think for one second that I'm about to let you go through this alone, kid,” she said as she stood to her full height, looking down at me past the rain that pelted off her muzzle.

Leaning back, I said, “I wasn't implying that, really, I just—”

“And don't break me off the point, either.”

I stopped, tilting my head a little to the side. “Wh-what do you—”

“When I told you that night that I would be your big sister… or, y'know, implied it anyway… I know it meant a lot to you then.” Shrugging, she said, “But honestly, it didn't have as much meaning for me.”

A moment passed before I nodded and said, “Well, I could believe that. I mean, this random filly who basically worshipped you nearly got herself killed in a river because—”

“I scared her half near to death?”

I snickered. “Well, yeah. But I understand – it was just a gesture at the time, right?”

“Yeah.” She then smiled. “But that didn't last forever. Over the years, you've really become like my own sister. I never had any siblings growing up, just like you. When I moved to Ponyville and met ponies like Applejack and Rarity who had little sisters they played with, there were times that…” She coughed, muttering, “I wish I had a sister,” as she averted her gaze from me.

I narrowed my eyes at her as another streak of lightning crossed overhead. “Oh c'mon, you can't think that's embarrassing to confess after all these years.”

She glanced back. “You try being me for a day, squirt, then tell me how you feel.”

Fair enough.

Anyway,” she drawled. “Yeah. There were times I wish I had someone I could run around and be awesome with.” She winked at me and chuckled. “Then your scrawny little flank had that scare on the camping trip, and suddenly… I had one. A filly I could teach the cooler things in life to.”

I smiled, an expression probably somewhere between endearing and very much stupid, as it felt like the sides of my face would split apart I was grinning so wide. I caught myself in the act and cleared my throat, trying to use the moment to collect myself. “So, y-you don't say, huh? Heh.”

Rainbow smirked as she looked up at the dark sky. “Yeah. I do say, Scoots.” Her smirk returned to a smile as she met eyes with me. “This has been a long time coming, but… thank you.”

I squinted at that. “Thank you? For what?”

“For being the best little sister a girl could ever ask for.”

I blinked.

I blinked again.

I stopped long enough to rub my eyes and blink a few more times.

And then, she said it again. “I love you, Scootaloo.” A sniffle broke through as she added, “More than you'll ever know.”

Whatever facade she had left had now clearly fallen to the wayside. As did mine.

“…I love you too, Rainbow Dash.”

For the moment, that was all that needed to be said. I slowly walked up to her again, nuzzling into the drenched blue coat of her chest. She wrapped her forelegs and wings around my back in a gentle hug.

I closed my eyes, allowing only the senses to work that had carried me peacefully to sleep on many stormy nights before as a young filly. Only this time, I got to spend it with the mare who had made those nights possible. For now, I could be surrounded in her love. For now, I could forget what would inevitably come.

It was warm.

It was safe.

And it rained all night.

Comments ( 34 )

THANKS FOR MAKING ME CRY ALL OVER MY FREAKING KEYBOARD, JERK! :flutterrage:


Okay seriously though, this was awesome, but I don't get it; what's going on with Scootaloo? That talk makes it seem like she's going to take her life or something... Why?

5989285

Thanks for the comment. :twilightsmile:

As for what's going on, I wrote this to be headcanon-friendly. Does she have cancer? Is she going to have her wings permanently clipped? Heck if I know; it's up to the reader. The only thing I had in mind while writing it was that Scootaloo was about to go through something big and unpleasant. But Rainbow Dash will be there for her, no matter what it is.

That was... That was so freaking beautiful... I loved it! :pinkiesad2:

Thank you for starting my day on a good note. :twilightsmile:

I have a habit of finding feels before bed.....Great story. I love how you did keep it friendly to everyone. Good job.

THANKS FOR MAKING MY DIE INSIDE BEFORE CLASS :rainbowlaugh:
This goes directly to my favorite folder. Congrats, you've earned a place in my heart

Wait, so is Scootaloo dying or something? :rainbowhuh:

6014667

Check the comment back here: 5989864

I went ahead and added this point to the author's notes. Hopefully that'll help other readers in the future. :twilightblush:

Sad fanfics are the best kind in my opinion, and this probably one of my favourite one-shots. Although the ambiguity of what exactly the trial is that Scootaloo is heading into is admittedly a bit unpleasant for me, the quality of the writing and the emotions make this story a winner in my book. The feels are real! :pinkiesad2:
Wonderful job! :yay:

Ugh I would of comment how awesome this story was AGES
Ago but nope
Gawd dam signing key doesnt allow me too
But on a side note
This was a great story A seriously who doesnt love scoots and dash storys
There the best characters...Not to ship...no

Oh gawd... why did I clcik on this?
I regret everything, I want to cry now... so hard ;v; oh that author's note man... jesus D'X
I'm going to imagine she's just having life or death Surgery, and she'll come out fine... that's all //criez//

DAMN YOU!
I love it, nicely done... nicely done.

You adding the cancer part in the author's note made it so I cant think of a different event that would spark this kind of reaction. You have ruined my view on life. Thank you kind sir. Also this song seemed to fit for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=45&v=pnxmi5KNjAc

6199742

Because of this comment, I'm stuck hearing this song every time I think of the end. And I'm alright with that.

derpicdn.net/img/2013/9/16/428977/thumb.jpg

The warm fuzzies have been doubled!!!!

HNNNNNGG!!
Heart beat irregular!
Vision blurring!
Left arm numb!
Slight head ache, loss of appetite...
I'm dying of d'awwws

Am i the only who read one of the last lines here? everyone's like "Scootaloo dies, she has cancer bla bla bla." But if you read the 7th line from the bottom, you'll read why they're being so sappy. Nonetheless, great story, characters were accurate, feels were had. Loved it.

6401907

Those comments were about the original version of the story. This has been edited since those comments, though you can find the original version via the link in the description. Glad you liked this! :twilightsmile:

I was confused at fist but I started crying at the end great story

I got all emotional and teary-eyed for tonsil-pulling?

:fluttercry::fluttershbad::flutterrage:

(awesome story)

I actually rather liked the simplistic surface conflict in this. Something like that can be rather intimidating for some people, both young and old. Great job on turning something like that into a great story that develops both Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash further as characters and sisters.

This earns a favorite and an thumbs up from me!

Well done! Me thinks I'll have to read your other stories.

This story:
-sad
-sad
-sad
-sad
-sad
-wat! laugh.

It doesn't make sense for them to be having a conversation about Scoots missing out on adulthood if she's not actually dying. I mean, I suppose it is possible to die from complications from having your tonsils pulled, but it's not a big enough risk that she should be putting her affairs in order and stuff.

Still, good writing.

6407019

That is true. The implication here is supposed to be that Scoots is, in fact, nervous about the operation. Maybe it's her first? Maybe she just doesn't like surgery? In any case, that's why she asked Dash for a storm, why she's telling her now about the way she feels about it, just in case something does happen regardless of how far-fetched the idea is. Then again, Dash's reaction is a bit more emotional than even her own implies, so near the end, she gets to tease her about it.

In hindsight, I wish I had made the implications clearer at the end, perhaps through some sort of further bonding. (e.g. Scoots confides that she's scared of the surgery after Dash teases her for having her make a storm) In any case, I feel it still stands strongly enough as it is without swinging to any extreme of emotions.

My biggest hope is that the ending doesn't undercut the sad tone of the fic for most readers. I still need to harvest those feelz. :scootangel:

6408166 Still plenty of feels. Actually, having a happy ending on a sad fic makes me able to enjoy the feels more, since I don't end up hating you at the end. I will also admit that oral surgery is scarier than :pinkiecrazy:

Given that Scootaloo's surgery was just for getting her tonsil's pulled, and the way the conversation between the two of them goes, I think this fits the "Slice of Life" tag more than it does the "Sad" tag..

MY FEELS THEY HURT IM CRYING SO HARD! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Awesome story. Really liked it a lot. :pinkiehappy::rainbowkiss::scootangel:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I feel trolled. :facehoof:

6982912

The appropriate response. :trollestia:

It thought Scootaloo was dying or something. I was like, it's probably cancer, it's always cancer.
Then it was getting your tonsils pulled. Never had it happen to me but it's probably not that bad.

Comment posted by The wandering commenter deleted Feb 3rd, 2017

I downloaded this onto my phone so I could agonize over this fic every single day. You absolutely killed this! I adore this! It’s so fantastic! Plus Rainbow and Scoots are totally sisters/ mother/daughter to me! I just love seeing them together like this! :raritydespair: YOU GAVE ME ALL THE DAMN FEELS. Keep it coming! You’re awesome!

Is there a link to the other version anywhere? I want to read that one again

Login or register to comment