• Published 17th May 2015
  • 4,143 Views, 129 Comments

My Glory - Eclipse Guardian



Within the mare known as Twilight Sparkle, there is a darkness that wishes to raise her up high as Empress of Equestria. But where did this darkness come from and why is it so set upon Twilight?

  • ...
18
 129
 4,143

Ponyville

-3 Years Ago-

Today was the day of the Summer Sun Celebration. That much Twilight Sparkle was very aware of, even if it was being held in a small town known as Ponyville. The town itself wasn't very impressive, just a simple farming town with various businesses such as; a fashion boutique, a rather impressive farm on the town's outskirts by even Twilight's standards, a market for tourists and the like, and several other stores like a bakery, a dentist's office, and a spa run by two Earth Pony sisters, ect.

Twilight herself was to stay in Ponyville's Golden Oaks Library to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration. Twilight was curious as to why she was personally overseeing the celebration, so she went to ask Princess Celestia. What the Princess said was along the lines of “Go make some friends, enjoy yourself and for your own sake, don't worry yourself over Nightmare Moon's return.”

Celestia said she would handle her deranged sister herself. Twilight wasn't so sure about that, even with all of the Royal Guard under prep for the Nightmare's inevitable return. But although the Princess said this, Celestia gave Twilight instructions on finding the fabled Elements of Harmony should she fail to stop her sister. Twilight understood but one question still nagged at her mind...

“What does any of this have to do with me making friends?” Twilight asked in utter confusion. The unicorn was currently in her tower packing her things for the trip to Ponyville. Twilight only packed the essentials like her toothbrush, an extra blanket, books to read of course, and a few inkwells and parchments for letters.

Spike, Twilight's dragon assistant came up to her with a few books on constellations of the night sky. “Well I think it could do you some good Twilight. You're always here in the castle reading books these days, you should get out more.”

“And I keep telling you Spike, I don't need friends it's just another distraction from my studies.” Twilight stated taking the books Spike brought over and shoved them in her travel bag. “I highly doubt Equestria's safety relies in such a non-material thing.”

Spike looked at her with a disapproving look. “Really Twilight that excuse again?” He said crossing his arms and shaking his head.

“It's not an excuse, it's a logical fact. Friendship is a vague concept that could be better taught from a dictionary. I should know, I have five volumes.” Twilight proudly levitated said book volumes over her assistant's head.

Spike merely rolled his eyes and zipped up Twilight's travel bag, while the mage re-shelved the books. The pair left the room, Spike holding the bag while on Twilight's back. They made their way down several winding stairs that led into the castle's main lobby, and out into the courtyard where the carriage to take Twilight to Ponyville sat. On the way, Twilight admired the beautifully made stain-glass windows that lined the courtyard. Two years ago Princess Celestia ordered to have the castle courtyard domed with a circular roof due to the Cult's most recent attempt to kidnap Twilight.

To say the Princess was scared for her faithful student would be an understatement.

“Miss Sparkle?” A stone faced Royal Guard asked as Twilight and Spike trotted up to the chariot.

“That's me.” Twilight answered. Spike jumped off her back and gave Twilight's bag to one of other guards.

“We've been ordered by Princess Celestia to accompany you, during both on your way to Ponyville and during your stay there.” The other three guards nodded their consent.

“Really? May I ask why exactly?” Twilight hasn't forgotten the Cult's previous attempts in kidnapping her, but they haven't been seen for over a year.

“Her Highness, is still worried about the Cult of the Dark Arts, Miss Sparkle. So we are here to protect you in case of an attack.” The guard joined the other Pegasus stallions and attached themselves to the chariots reins. “If you would, Miss Sparkle. We shall take you to Ponyville right away.”

Twilight nodded, then turned to Spike to give him a hug. “I'll see you later Spike. You remember what to do right?” She asked him.

“Yeah, send you a report if anything happens here in Canterlot via my flame.” Twilight hopped into the chariot.

“Yes. So make sure you keep me up to date alright?” When Spike nodded the chariot took off with Twilight in tow. “Bye Spike!”

“See ya Twilight!” Once the chariot was a small dot in the distance, Spike went back into the castle.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-Ponyville-

A white coated Unicorn, knocked on the Golden Oaks Library's door. The mare waited for about two minutes until an elderly Earth Pony opened the door. “Oh Miss Rarity. What can I do for you?” Said the old Librarian as the Unicorn named Rarity Belle elegantly trotted in.

“I just came to check on you Golden Mural, and to see how your packing was coming along and all that.” Rarity smiled gently at Mural.

“I'm just fine deary, just a few more books to re-shelve for the new Librarian coming to town soon.” The earth mare slowly made her way to a shelf and placed a couple books onto it.

Rarity carefully watched Mural for a moment and quickly put the remaining books along the shelves. “Don't you worry darling, I'll handle it. You can take a breather.”

“Aw, that's so sweet of you. I'm afraid these old bones make it a bit too difficult to haul these large tomes around so much.” Golden Mural slowly laid upon a cushion in the center of the library.

“By the way who was the new librarian going to be?” Rarity asked after finishing with the books and sat next to Mural.

“Hmm? Oh, some Unicorn from Canterlot. I think her name was Twilight something. Ehm...The Princess's letter is on the table beside you there.” Mural gestured with an ear to the said table.

Rarity levitated the parchment over to herself and studied what was written. “Hmm? A Miss Twilight Sparkle. Odd, I know I have heard of her before... Oh! No wonder I have, she is the Princess's star pupil.” She chuckled with stars in her eyes. “And I bet she knows a lot of influential ponies in Canterlot besides the Princess!”

The retiring librarian gave her a raised eyebrow. “Don't be scaring her now.”

Rarity shook her head. “Hmm? Oh right sorry Mural. To be honest, I've always wanted a friend from Canterlot. Since so many Ponyville ponies are-” Mural narrowed her eyes slightly. “-down to earth! That was it. Heheh. Anyway darling there just aren't many ponies here I can chat with about the high life and such.”

Mural snickered. “I'm just pulling your leg deary.” The older mare lightly tapped Rarity's shoulder.

“Oh, haha. Laugh it up.” Rarity gave the room a once over than stood up. “Well I should go, the Celebration isn't too off after all.” Rarity flipped her curled purple mane and made for the door. “You'll be there right Mural?”

“Wouldn't miss it for the world deary.” She elderly, yellow coated mare opened the door for Rarity.

“Thank you, Mural. It will be Grand, if I have any say in the matter!” Rarity proclaimed as the door closed behind her.

Behind the closed door, Golden Mural smiled sadly, a hidden door creaked open a bit. A black cloak dangled though the crack. A symbol of two great black dragon wings encircling a purple draconic eye, with a tall black horn pointing up on top of the eye were along the cloak's back. “Wouldn't miss it for the world...good luck young ones.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Landing in Ponyville, Miss Sparkle.” One of the guards declared as they pulled into Ponyville's town square.

Twilight nodded wordlessly, she was anxious about Celestia facing Nightmare Moon. Not that she doubted the Princess's power or anything. Twilight just wanted to be there backing her up. Sighing, Twilight hopped off the chariot as it landed. “Okay, first stop-” Pulling out a list of stops she needed to make for the celebration, Twilight read. “-Sweet Apple Acres.”

The trip to the farm took about fifteen minutes-Twilight counted-to make approximately, Twilight's guards in tow. An old red barn sat in the distance, white picket fences surrounded most the establishment, and more trees than Twilight had ever seen covered the majority of the land.

Twilight gawked at the mere number of trees the farm had. 'Well, I definitely know where Celestia gets her cider from now.' She thought with slight amusement. 'Even if she never tells anypony.' Chuckling, Twilight trotted over to a muscular, orange, Earth Pony mare who was bucking an apple tree nearby. “Hello, there! I'm Twilight Sparkle, here to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration.” Twilight greeted.

The mare turned to Twilight with a friendly grin. “Well howdy do Miss Twilight! Ah'm Applejack!” The orange mare grabbed Twilight's hoof and shook it wildly.

'OW! She sure is strong.' Twilight grimaced, and withdrew her sore hoof. “Um, you're in charge of the food correct?”

“Yup! Come on over and Ah'll show ya.”

-15 Minutes Later-

“Urgh...” Twilight groaned after leaving Applejack's farm. Twilight and two of her unfortunate guards were sat at a table and almost force fed by the Apple family's baking. Five apple fritters, three pies and nine candy apples later, Twilight and those two guards's stomachs were about ready to burst. “I don't want to see another apple as long as I live.” She groaned, the two guards grunted their agreement.

Twilight bumped into something while her eyes were closed. “Huh?” In front of her was a wall of pink. Twilight backed up, her guards instinctively surrounded Twilight protectively.

No, not a wall, a pink Earth Pony was who she bumped into. The guards felt uncomfortable around this mare for some reason. “Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!”

Twilight gazed at her guards and spoke to other mare. “Hello, I'm Twilight Sparkle-” She heard a loud gasp from Pinkie Pie, and her jaw hit the ground as the earth pony somehow floated in mid-air for a total of five seconds. “How-” She was about to ask but the mare zipped away in a cloud of dust. “Well. That happened. Shall we?” The guards fell back in line behind Twilight as she led the way to the Town Hall. All of them were wide eyed for once.

Twilight use to her magic to open the door into the Town Hall, then called out. “Hello? I'm here to oversee the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration.” Twilight noticed another Unicorn enter the room, this mare had a white coat and curled purple mane and tail and three diamonds for a cutie mark.

“Ah, so you're the new Librarian then?” The white mare asked.

Twilight nodded. “Only for a while, so what's your name Miss...?”

Clearing her throat the other mare answered. “Rarity. Rarity Belle darling. And you must be Twilight Sparkle?”

“Hmm-hmm. So are you the pony who's in charge of decorations?” Looking at the various decor around the Town Hall, Twilight was rather impressed. “This is gorgeous.”

“Why thank you darling, I must concur this is some of my best interior designs.” Rarity prided herself.

“I agree. Well I should continue my overseeing of the celebration Rarity.” Twilight turned to leave, but Rarity trotted in front of her. “Um, yes?”

“I know you're from Canterlot Twilight, so I was wondering if you would like to stop by my boutique later and chat for a bit?” Rarity smiled gently.

Twilight considered her request for a moment. “Like as...friends?” She squeaked.

“Hmm. Oh yes if you don't mind. Nopony here in Ponyville quite understands my taste of the upper class.”

Twilight smiled weakly and nervously made her way out the door. “I'll...think about it.”


“Alright then. See you later Miss Twilight.” Rarity waved.

Twilight rushed past her guards, much to their annoyance, so they pursued her. Trotting into the park, Twilight heard music from over a bush. Following the sound, she saw a group of birds on a tree while two pegasi mares chatted beneath them. The left one had sky-blue coat and a rainbow mane and tail, while the other one had a pink mane and tail followed by a soft yellow coat. The blue one had rainbow, coloured thunderbolt cutie mark and the second mare had three, pink butterflies.

“Hello!” Twilight called out.

The yellow mare “eeped” then hid behind the tree. Her friend merely rolled her eyes and dragged her back out to greet Twilight. “Come on Fluttershy say hello.” She urged the yellow pegasus.

“U-um, hi I'm Fluttershy...” Fluttershy softly said.

Twilight couldn't hear her. “Could you speak a little louder I didn't catch that.”

When Fluttershy didn't answer, her rainbow maned friend spoke up. “Sorry her name is Fluttershy, and she is very...well..shy.” She shrugged. “I'm Rainbow Dash! The fastest pony in Equestria.!” Rainbow proclaimed, puffing out her chest proudly.

Twilight almost scoffed at that, but kept her thoughts to herself. She looked at her list again and saw both their on it. “Ah, here you are. The weather manager and music instructor?”

“Fluttershy here is in charge of music, and I clear the skies.” Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight gazed up and saw plenty of clouds still about. “The sky is still cloudy.”

“Yeah, yeah I'll take of it in a bit, gotta practice my moves for the Wonderbolts, who are coming to the celebration this year.”

“The Wonderbolts? Oh you mean the professional stunt team. Well they would never let somepony who can't even keep the sky clear for a day into their group.” Twilight challenged.

Rainbow Dash grinned. “Oh yeah? I could clear this sky in Ten. Seconds. Flat.” She flared her wings.

“Prove it.”

-Ten Seconds Later-

Rainbow Dash laughed at Twilight's wide eyed face. “Told you so!”

Twilight furiously shook her head and took a step back. “Wow. Okay you proved me wrong.” Fluttershy laughed quietly at Twilight's face before returning to her bird choir. Rainbow Dash waved to Twilight as she left the park.

“Okay then, well that's done let's head to the Library.” The guards nodded.

Entering the Golden Oaks Library was uneventful, Twilight's guards stood outside while Twilight greeted the elder mare inside. The Earth Pony mare had a dull yellow coat, a greying brown mane and tail, green eyes and a gold plaque for a cutie mark.

“Hello I'm Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight cheerfully said.

“Hello to you too deary, my name is Golden Mural. I'm the retiring librarian.” They shook hooves, albeit slowly due to Mural's age.

“Wait, you're retiring?” Twilight asked, somewhat confused.

“Indeed deary, I'm very old after all.” Mural laughed. “You're the new Librarian now.”

“What? No, no I'm not staying in Ponyville. I'm just staying here until the Celebration's over.”

“Oh, is that so? ...Oh well I guess I'll have to find a new librarian than.” Mural frowned.

Twilight grimaced. “Sorry, I'll help you find a replacement tomorrow, if that helps.”

The elderly mare smiled a bit. 'Can she really be?' “I would love that.”

Twilight smiled and brought in her bags after grabbing them in her magic from a guard outside. “Well how about we get started?”

Later that day Pinkie Pie appeared with the whole of Ponyville at the library to party Twilight's arrival.

...

...

...

Twilight knocked herself out.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-Night of the Celebration-

Twilight paced in place, it was time for Princess Celestia to raise the sun. She got a message from Spike telling her Celestia left the castle with a small battalion of guards an hour ago. 'Oh I hope nothing bad happens.' Twilight feared Nightmare Moon's return, she just hoped Celestia defeated her.

The mayor of Ponyville, an Earth Pony as well, stood on the podium. “Mares and Gentlecolts! We are gathered here today to celebrate the Summer Sun Celebration!” Mayor Mare declared.

Twilight winced at the noise the other ponies made, she was never one for loud noises. Especially large groups of ponies. The mayor continued her speech with everypony's excited attention, sans Twilight who didn't stop her pacing. Eventually Fluttershy and her bird choir began the song Twilight heard earlier that day, snapping her out of her pacing and out most attention on the balcony where Celestia was supposed to appear.

“I have very bad feeling about this.” Twilight whispered to herself.

'Twilight relax, whatever happens you'll be able to handle it.' That warm, smoothing voice said.

'Are you sure? Nightmare's an Alicorn, I can't beat an Alicorn by myself.' Twilight frowned.

'Don't think like that Mistress, you're not alone in this. I'm here.'

Twilight couldn't counter that. So she straightened her posture and glared as everypony else suddenly gasped. A dark blue mist appeared on the balcony and a tall, onyx coated Alicorn smirked at the crowd. 'Nightmare Moon.'

“Oh my beloved subjects, it's been so long since I've seen you're Precious. Sun-loving. Faces.” Nightmare sneered.

“Hey! What have you've done with our Princess!” Rainbow Dash flew at Nightmare Moon, but Applejack held her tail with her mouth.

“Whoa there Rainbow!”

Nightmare Moon chuckled. “Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?” She leveled a glare at Rainbow.

Pinkie Pie started to ramble various names about Nightmare before Applejack silenced her by stuffing a cupcake in her mouth. “Mhp! Hmpmhh!”

Nightmare came up to poor Fluttershy and asked. “Does my crown no longer count, now that I've been imprisoned for a Thousand Years?” Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind Applejack. Nightmare Moon's starry mane gripped Rarity's chin and continued. “Do you not recall my legend? Did you not recall the signs!?”

Twilight chose this time to speak up. “I did! And I know who you are! You're Celestia's Sister and also known as the Mare in the Moon!” Gasps of disbelief were heard all around.

“Well, well, well somepony who remembers me.” When Nightmare Moon placed her gaze upon Twilight, her breathe caught in her throat. Nightmare Moon used her Mage Sight and what she saw shocked her. 'She can't be alive! I saw her die!' She shook her head and opted the best smirk she could. “Than you also know why I'm here.”

Twilight saw Nightmare's scared expression before she smirked again. 'What was that about? No I must focus!' You're here to bring Eternal Night aren't you!?”

Nightmare Moon struggled to keep her rising fear concealed behind her dark smirk. “Remember this day little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the Night. Will last. Forever!!” She laughed at the ponies' frightened faces.

“Cease her only she knows where the Princess is!” Mayor Mare ordered Twilight's guards.

Three of the guards flew at Nightmare Moon while the fourth one stood protectively in front of Twilight. “Stay back, you FOALS!!” Nightmare's eyes glowed white and she zapped the stallions out of the air with a fast lightning spell. 'I'll deal with that lavender mare later.' Nightmare thought as she turned into mist and flew out the door leading outside.

Rainbow Dash broke free off Applejack and pursued Nightmare Moon through the air. “Come back here coward!!”

Nightmare in her mist form glared invisibly and shot off toward the Everfree Forest. 'Now to dispose of the Elements of Harmony!'


-Later at the Golden Oaks Library-

Twilight finally let her panic show as she ran full speed toward the library to search for the 'Elements of Harmony' book that Celestia told her could be found. “This is terrible! Princess Celestia lost! And now her deranged sister is now free to wreak havoc!” Twilight practically tore each and every book haphazardly on the ground to look for the elusive book. “Where is it!? Where is it!?”

“Is this what you're looking for Twilight?” Said an familiar voice from behind Twilight.

She spun around and Golden Mural was there with the book in her hooves. “Yes-” Twilight almost missed the black cloak Mural was wearing. “Mural? What are you wearing?” Twilight cautiously asked.

“Never mind that now. Here's the book deary.” Mural tossed the book over to her. Twilight caught it in her magic. “We will meet again Twilight Sparkle.” Mural raised her left hoof, her glowing hoof.

“Wait-” Twilight ran at her, but Mural vanished in a flash of black and purple light. “-a second...” Shaking her head, Twilight ran outside and into an orange mare.

“Oof! Careful there sugarcube! Where are you going in such a hurry?” Applejack asked, helping Twilight to her hooves.

“Celestia! Elements! Nightmare! Everfree! Help!” Twilight frantically wailed, until a blue hoof in the forehead by Rainbow Dash snapped her out of it. “Ow!”

“Calm down there bookworm! We're here to help!” Rainbow said.

“What? No, no I can't ask that! It's dangerous.” Twilight sped past them towards the Everfree.

“Darling hold on!” Rarity called out chasing Twilight with Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy following.

Twilight dashed into the forest with the other mares, unawares of a group of black cloaked beings watching them from afar.


-Soon after several ordeals in the forest-

A decrepit old castle lay before the six mares. The Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. Twilight had never been here before, so it's dreary interior frightened her just a smidge. “So where are these Elements you mentioned Twilight?” Rainbow asked the bookish mare. “I mean they are here right?”

“Yes...they're supposed to be somewhere...in...here...aha! There they are!” Twilight eagerly proclaimed as she approached a stone dais with multiple stone spheres upon it. “These girls, are the fabled Elements of Harmony who were said to have banished Nightmare Moon to the Moon a thousand years ago.”

“Okay so how do we activate them exactly?” Rarity curiously asked tapping the closest stone near her.

“The book said something about a spark would allow the final element to be revealed. So bring them here so I can check them quickly.” Twilight nodded to Fluttershy and Rainbow, who in turn began to carefully grab and lower the Elements to Twilight's hooves. “This might take a bit girls, I have to focus.”

“Come on ya'll let's give her some privacy to work. We'll be jus' outside there if ya'll need us Twilight!” Applejack yelled as the other four made their way out following the farmer mare.

Twilight laid before the Elements, and charged up her horn. But she failed to notice the blue mist flowing around the stones. When she heard the loud whipping sound of wind, Twilight's eyes snapped open. “The Elements!” Not wanting to lose the only means of defeating Nightmare Moon, Twilight jumped into the swirling blue cyclone and vanished.

...

...

...

Twilight reappeared inside another room coughing. “Ugh.” She looked up and saw Nightmare Moon with her back to her. The Elements of Harmony laying around Nightmare as she growled at them.

Nightmare heard Twilight's coughing and turned around. “You! So you followed me after all.” She snorted disgustedly. 'I'll kill you now before you can return fully.'

Twilight stood up and glared at Nightmare. “Hoof those over Nightmare!”

“Oh I don't think so little foal.” Nightmare uncomfortably declared.

Twilight stamped a hoof twice. “Than I'll have to take them by force.”

“You're kidding. You're kidding right?” Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes at Twilight.

Twilight lit her horn and charged Nightmare. Nightmare Moon followed suit and ran at her, planning to gorge Twilight with her sharp horn. Twilight fired a beam of purple energy at Nightmare, followed by a precise teleport behind the dark Alicorn. Nightmare brought up a dark energy shield which easily deflected the beam and turned back to Twilight unleashed her own beam spells at Twilight.

“Ugh!” Twilight teleported again, barely avoiding the beams. Then proceeded a gravity spell under Nightmare's hooves, which caused the dark mare to noisily slam against the ceiling.

'That's it Twilight! Keep it up!' The voice within Twilight's mind cheered.

Nightmare Moon screamed and undid the spell and flew at Twilight with her horn pointed right at her. “DIE!!”

Twilight jump/teleported on Nightmare's back, surprising her and then bucked the dark mare's head with her hind hooves. “That's for Celestia!” Then she teleported again, before Nightmare hit the floor.

Nightmare Moon groaned. “Damn you!”

Twilight jumped to where the Elements were and lit her horn. “Come on! Come on!”

Nightmare stood up and warped over to Twilight and stones as Twilight was blown away by the Elements. “Ah!” Twilight yelled.

Nightmare growled. “No! No!”

The Elements glowed for a moment before going out completely. Twilight's eyes became pinpricks. “Where's the sixth Element!?” She screamed.

Nightmare laughed as she slammed her hooves on the ground and shattered the Elements into useless shards. “That was your best plan wasn't it?” She laughed again. “You little foal, thinking you could Nightmare Moon herself! It's over!”

Before Twilight could lose hope, voices called out her name from behind her. 'The others!' She felt something spark within her soul at that moment. 'The Elements! I get it now!' Twilight turned back to Nightmare Moon once the other mares came up beside her.

Nightmare's face became a horrified one once Twilight began her triumphant speech. 'How is this possible!? Why would they activate for her!?' Nightmare turned on her Mage Sight and she couldn't believe her eyes. A glowing dark silhouette of a very tall pony stood where Twilight stood. 'She came back. She came back!!' A rainbow coloured beam of energy appeared around the mares and blasted toward Nightmare.

She could only scream one line before she was engulfed in rainbow light.

...

...

...

“CURSE YOU PENUMBRA!!”