• Published 15th May 2015
  • 2,114 Views, 34 Comments

Fluttershy's Wynter Sonnet - Night Rush



A story about Fluttershy and the foal who stole he heart

  • ...
1
 34
 2,114

Chapter 2

When Fluttershy arrived back in the Crystal Empire she became nervous. She was unsure what to do now, all she knew was that she wanted to help this little one out and to do what was best for her. Over the last few days in which she had walked to the Crystal Empire from the mountains she had become closer to the little foal who she was caring for. Through the times where she spent feeding her, cleaning her, and changing her with whatever materials she had at hand. It had been some of the most memorable times she had ever known and some of the most frustrating. Now that she was around others she did not know what to do.

It was as she was contemplating these things that she was struck by the idea to go see Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, maybe they would know something or be able to help her. So without further ado, she made a beeline straight for the Palace. When she arrived at the palace she was stopped by the gate guards and asked what her purpose was.

“Well you see… I just wanted….uh...” she began, hiding behind her mane. “I wanted to… I wanted to ask for help from the Princess…” The gate guard snorted in a derisively before he responded in an overly harsh manner.

“The Princess does not have time to help every single pony who asks for her help, regardless of whether or not they bear an Element of Harmony. If you want her help you can come back later when she is holding court, otherwise handle your problem yourself!” This caused the young foal who was observing all this from its pouch on Fluttershy’s chest to start crying because of the deep, cold baritone that had refused the pegasus holding her. Fluttershy, trying to comfort the young foal, Fluttershy began crooning and talking to her as she walked away, trying to not cause any more of a commotion than what she had. As she walked away the young foal started crying even louder. This got the attention of Princess Cadence who had been coming down the stairs to check that the preparations for her court were in order.

“Fluttershy!” Princess Cadence called, “How are you? Twilight told me that you were coming up to the Empire to study some animals.” “Is there anything I can do for you?”

Fluttershy halted in her retreat and turned towards the Princess. Cadence gave her a gentle smile, as her gaze traveled to the bundle that Fluttershy was carrying.“Well umm...If it would not be too much trouble I would like to ask for your help on something. I mean umm… That is if you’re not busy.” Fluttershy managed over the crying foal. Nodding in acknowledgment of Fluttershy’s request, Cadence replied in a soft voice to not disturb the foal who was just starting to calm down, “It would be my pleasure Fluttershy. Please come inside..”

Fluttershy was ushered into the palace, passed the shocked guard who was trying to hide his face in embarrassment, after a stern look from Cadence.. They walked down a couple of hallways before arriving at a room with two large ornate oak doors guarded by two crystal pegasi. The Princess nodded to them and proceeded to open the doors to what appeared to be a large room that was comfortably furnished with lounge chairs and couches. When they entered the room, Princess Cadence gestured for her to take seat. As Fluttershy was trying to figure out if there was any particular seat she should take the Princess proceeded to talk to the guards before closing the door to the room.

Fluttershy decided to sit in the seat closest to her. As she sits down on the couch she let out a sigh of relief, glad to be able to relax a little. She gingerly removed the pouch from her chest and laid the foal on the cushion beside her while tender stroking her face with her hoof.

“So, how may I help you Fluttershy?” The princess asked softly as she took a seat on Fluttershy’s other side.

“I would like your help in finding out if there is a family in the area who is missing one of their children.” She said gesturing to the young foal who now lay asleep beside them. “I found her in the mountains with a family of frost bears. The poor thing...she almost died because of a fever. I was hoping that maybe you knew something that would help?” She said this as she looked at Cadence, not knowing what answer she might receive or what help she could even give.

Cadence gave the young thestral foal a tender look before looking back to Fluttershy. “I will do what I can. Would you mind staying with us while we try and find some answers for you?” Fluttershy smiled and nodded as tears of relief welled up in her eyes. Cadence seeing that Fluttershy was emotional put a foreleg around her and comforted her until she managed to regain her composure.

“Can I ask you a favor now Fluttershy?” Cadence asked. With a nod, Cadence continued, “Tell me the story from the beginning of how you came upon this foal.” Fluttershy nodded and gave a small smile as she began to retell her story or how she had noticed the bears’ strange actions and how she had been lead into the den to find this small beauty. She explained the seriousness of her condition at the time and even how the time walking back to the Empire had been with the foal
.

“I can’t believe it. “ Cadence said, “You mean to tell me a family of wild and possibly dangerous frost bears took in this foal and were trying to help her the best they could. It is just too much.”

“Oh, but the bears are not dangerous.” Flutter shy responded, “They are just protective is all. They don’t do well with strangers and, well they did great.” She said, ready to stand up for the bears. “Don’t get me wrong Fluttershy.” Cadence responded putting a hoof on her shoulder and gently pressing her back in her seat, “I have nothing against the Frost Bears I am just surprised, is all. It’s not often you even hear of them let alone encounter them taking care of a foal they found. It’s just shocking is all.” Fluttershy gave a smile, grateful that the princess understood.

It's okay, everything's fine. She is going to help us. I hope we find her family. I really really do.

Fluttershy was so lost in thought that it was not until the third time Princess Cadence called her name that she snapped out of it and came back to her present situation.

“Fluttershy would you like to rest for a while? I can look after the foal if you would like?” Princess Cadence asked her.

“Oh no, I’m fine. I could never ask you to do that. You have so many important things to do, and I have taken so much of your time already. I could never ask for you to watch the foal.”

Smiling and letting out a small chuckle Princess Cadence nodded her head, “If that is how you feel at least let me show you to your room and have somepony assigned to help you. Will you let me at least do that for you?” Seeing sense in the Princess’ idea Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“Alright then. If you would follow me, I would be glad to show you to your room.”

Fluttershy turned to the foal thinking she would be asleep only to find her staring back at her with her big blue eyes and a smile on her face. Seeing this Fluttershy nuzzled the infant's cheek before putting her back in the pouch and strapping her to Fluttershy’s chest.

She followed Princess Cadence out of the room and up the main stairs. They took a left turn and made their way down the hall until they came to a door. . During the whole trip the young foal was pleasantly burbling away at whatever she saw. The only exception to this was when they exited the first flight of stairs and were assailed by the smell a fresh breads and cooked vegetables smelling this the foal began to cry making her hunger known. Beyond that she was perfect little cherub of a pony.

The room they entered was lavishly decorated and had its own seating area separate from the bedroom as well a balcony. This was not even taking into consideration the size of the bedroom, its connected bathroom, and the exquisite four poster curtained bed. Looking at all this Fluttershy was in shock. She was not expecting anyone to go out of their way for her and she felt bad enough to have taken up the Princess’ time with her request and now she was being put in this magnificent suite. She just did not know how to respond.

“This is where you will be staying while you are here” Cadence said to her while tickling the young foals chin eliciting a cute little laugh from her. “Should you need anything just let me, Shining Armor, or the attendant I will be sending you and it will be taken care of. Remember Fluttershy you are my guest and one of Twilight’s closest friends. If there is anything I can do for you I will.”

Fluttershy gave Cadence a smile, but she knew that her shyness was apparent on her face. “Um...would it be okay if maybe...I could get some food? If thats okay, I mean. I know that you are all so busy and-”

Cadence raised her hoof to silence the timid pegasus. “Of course. You both must hungry after such a trip. I’ll have some brought up right away.”

Fluttershy thanked Cadence before the princess left her and the young foal to their own devices. It was not long before a knock came to the door and Fluttershy, who had been playing with the giggling foal, called to the pony beyond the door. Standing on the other side of the door was a chestnut colored crystal unicorn mare with a silvery pink and white mane, holding five different platters of food and a white paper bag in her pink magic. The mare stepped inside the room and found the occupants on the cushions and gave a smile as she bowed to Fluttershy.

The mare put the platters of food on the table and the bag in a chair beside where the young foal was lying. The mare turned to Fluttershy to introduce herself.

“My name is Delicatessa I will be attending to you and the foal while you are here. In the three larger platters you will find an herb salad, vegetable soup, and a fresh made apple pie with the apple having come from Equestria’s Sweet Apple Acres, itself. In the smaller two you will find food for the foal. The food that was prepared for her are a carrot mash and a warm bottle of formula.”

“Oh, um...thank you! But um....What is in the bag?” Fluttershy asked, eyeing the bag.

Delicatessa grabbed the bag back up and turned towards the guest, taking a seat before her and opened the bag. Her bright pink magic pulled out a four packages of various sizes and placed them in between herself and Fluttershy and began to open each box.. The first item to come out of the first item, which was tiny, was a small envelope with Fluttershy’s name on it. The second one was a green box roughly the size of a birthday cake. The box was placed in Fluttershy’s lap and the top was lifted off. Under the light blue tissue paper was a yellow piece of cloth. Fluttershy lifted out the piece of cloth only to find out that it was a baby blanket.

“As soon as the Princess left your company, she had one of the staff go and get this so that the young foal might have something, besides yourself, to keep her warm.” Fluttershy had been shedding a lot of tears recently and this was no different for as she looked upon this blanket more tears came out of her eyes.

The reason for this is that she had not expected anypony to go out of their way for this young foal who had no one and nothing not too long ago, and the fact that Princess Cadence had taken it upon herself to have this done touched her deeply. She picked up the young foal and sat her atop her new blanket in her lap. It was then that the third Item was brought out of the bag this one in a medium sized white box and inside was a green scarf much like the one that had been used to cool the foal’s fever and was now wrapped around her like a cape. The only difference being that this one was made a slightly finer material.

“After hearing your story, the Princess thought you might be in need of a new scarf as well. The last item was something I suggested to the princess and received her approval on as well as a suggestion from her.” Delicatessa brought out the final package. This one wasa slightly smaller box with a big bow on it. Fluttershy undid the bow and lifted the box’s top off. Inside was a stuffed rabbit that looked a lot like Angel bunny, but it was the same yellow as the blanket.

“The princess suggested this after remembering that you have all sorts of small and adorable animals that live at and around your place. Also, I think we had better get you to eating before your food cools down any more.”

Fluttershy nodded in agreement and began to take bite of the food that had been placed before her. She reached for the foal food and began to feed the little filly, the action coming to her as second nature. She smiled at the foal as she happily swallowed the carrot mash and between feeding the foal some bites, Fluttershy ate her own food.

“Um… Miss Delicatessa, I have a question.” Delicatessa turned her way with a smile since she herself just finished off her meal. “Do you think we could have a doctor check her over? Umm...you know. Since she just got over being sick and all. I mean...if that is no trouble that is.” The attendant pony smiled at her and nodded. She got up from her seat and quietly left. After Delicatesa had departed, Fluttershy placed the foal on the couch and wrapped her in her new blanket.

During the time Delicatessa was gone, Fluttershy opened the letter. It was from Twilight and was dated one week ago, Wednesday, which would be the exact day she first noticed something was wrong with the Frost Bear family. This brought a smile to her face when she thought of everything that had transpired since that day. Continuing on, she began to read the letter.

Dear Fluttershy,

I hope you have a wonderful time in the mountain studying the Frost Bears. I know you were really excited. I bet when you come back you will have a lot of stories to tell us about everything that happened. Everyone here is fine Rainbow Dash and Applejack have been competing with one another in a who is better at winter sports, and according to PinkIe Pie they are tied. Again.

Pinkie is doing as well as Pinkie ever does. Just yesterday, she launched herself out of her party cannon in an attempt to have the first ever “super-duper canon launch flying confetti party” ever. It was interesting, to say the least, the only down side was being roped into helping her clean up afterwards and put away all her cannons. Believe it or not she has thirteen one for every month of the year and a special one she uses only for emergency parties, whatever that means.

Rarity is trying to design a new line of spring clothing before the season arrives and has enlisted Spike’s help in the process. About once a week the two of them go out searching for gems and inspiration. She has made all of us promise to be her models when she has it finished so do not be surprised if, when you get back, you are forced to model her clothing as well. Though if what I saw the other day is any indication I think she may have really outdone herself this time.

As for me, I have been doing my own research trying to figure out a couple of new spells here and there as well as going by your place and checking in on everything. Angel has been staying with me for the past few days. Before that he was at Rarity’s, but it turns out that he and Opal don’t get along and he does not want anything to do with Gummy. Of course, that left me or Applejack to care for him and out of the two of us, he came to my place. I think he might be a carrot con artist because I swear I have given him carrots but he tries to make me believe I didn’t so I end up giving him more sometimes. We all miss you and are excited for you to come home.

Your friend,

Twilight Sparkle

P.S. I think Pinkie is going to try to throw you a party when you come back. Just a heads up.

After she finished reading the letter, she folded it back up and slid it back into its envelope. It was nice to know that her friends were doing well, and that they were thinking about her. The only thing she wondered was what made them think that she would end up at the castle in the first place to get the letter, but she was glad that Twilight had written it. When she looked down to where the foal was laying on the couch wrapped in her blanket, she had fallen asleep with a full stomach..

It was during this time that she lost herself in thought staring down at this little winter miracle.

I don’t know what happened that you ended up alone out there but so long as I am around you will not be alone again. Fluttershy thought to herself. I will find you a family one way or another. You have become precious to me like a song that I never will forget or stop singing.

As Fluttershy became lost in her thoughts, Delicatessa had returned with news about a doctor. The crystal unicorn coughed lightly and softly tapped Fluttershy on the shoulder to get her attention. Briefly startled, Fluttershy turned her attention to whoever had tapped her shoulder and she found Delicatessa standing there.

“Miss Fluttershy, I sent your request about having the foal checked out by the doctor and received word back that he could make time for you and the foal tomorrow afternoon around one o’clock. Is there anything else I can do for you?” Fluttershy thought briefly debating whether or not it was okay to make the request she had in mind before coming to a decision.

“Umm... D-do you think it would be okay if maybe you might just be willing to watch the little one while I take a bath?” Delicatessa smiled and responded with a nod. “I would be glad to do that for you.” Fluttershy hesitantly headed to the bedroom and its connected shower while stopping now and again to look over her shoulder to look at infant just to make sure she was okay.

The whole time Fluttershy was taking her bath she could not help but think about the foal in the other room. On two separate occasions she left her bath to check on her, and each time Delicatessa reassured her that everything was fine. When she finished her bath she decided she would give the young foal a bath as well.

In the end, the bath for the foal was entertaining. Every time Fluttershy went to put her in the water to wash her, the young foal would start kicking and flailing. This caused water to be splashed everywhere in the bathroom. When she was able to finally sit the young pony in the water you would have thought the whole tirade beforehand must have been somepony else entirely. The reason being that once in the water she was once again as sweet as pie, just staring up at Fluttershy and splashing her hooves in the water as she got washed.

The whole time that Fluttershy was washing the little foal she could be heard humming a chorus from one of her favorite songs. It was the same one she had hummed to her that first time, and it seemed put her at ease.

I wonder what your name is little one, or if you were even given one. If it were up to me I wonder what I would name you?

While this thought ran through her mind, she once again started humming the song from before \while she continued to wash the infant. It was later that night after Delicatessa had left that Fluttershy took the foal and laid her on the bed beside herself. The last thing she said that night were words that might have well have been dipped in honey for the love and sweetness they contained.

“Good night my little Wyntre Sonnet.”