• Published 15th May 2015
  • 627 Views, 29 Comments

The Sands of Saddle Arabia - Paradise Oasis



Four pony friends journey to a distant and exotic land

  • ...
0
 29
 627

Full of Surprises

It was evening in the Saddle Arabian capital, and the sun was setting on the vast and sandy desert around the them. On the roof of the royal palace, one very bored little colt was pacing back and forth, trying to alleviate his boredom. The yellowish orange earth pony could not get over how dull things had been recently, the only exciting thing had been the arrival of those mares mares from Ponyland, and all of the trouble they had managed to cause.

Oh, how I wish I could just go out and do something exciting! he thought to himself, looking up at the evening sky. Wazir Star NEVER lets me do anything fun!

"Fire, what are you doing up here?!" The prince heard the irritated voice of his sister trotting up the steps behind him. "You could catch a chill from the Desert winds at night!"

"Aww gee, Flame! I just wanted some time ta myself up here!" The prince grumbled, pulling his goggles down over his eyes, and looking out over the desert. "Why do ya always have to be such a downer?"

"I seem to be the only one in this family with half a brain, dummy." The filly snapped at him, trotting up and smacking him on the back of the head with her hoof. "They should actually let me become Sultanna, instead of giving the throne to a careless airhead like You!"

"Now look here, you silly filly!" Prince Flame snapped back. "I-"

"LOOK OUT BELOW!" A blazing white comet screamed, shooting through the air, only to come crashing down on the palace roof. "AIEEEEEE!"

KERPOW! The white ball of fire plowed straight into the roof, knocking the two royal twins over on the ground.

"Oh wow, hi Fire and Flame!" The newcomer giggled, standing up and shaking herself off. "I, like, totally didn't see you there!"

"Miss Surprise, I am so happy to see you again!" The young prince exclaimed, beaming at the mare's presence. "By why, pray tell, are you flying about the city this time of evening."

"Well duh! We was getting really boring back where we were staying, so I decided to go out, and see if I could have some FUN!" The insane Pegasus in the harem outfit giggled. "Ohhh, say... did you two want to come with me?"

"Yay, sounds like fun!" The young prince exclaimed, bouncing up and down. "C'mon, sis! Let's hit the road, and go have some fun!"

"Huh? What? Oh, no... there is no way I'm going to get into trouble by leaving the palace!" Princess Flame protested. "And especially not with two troublemakers like... you... two?"

She had never intended to go anywhere with the two ponies- she was even ready to call the Mameluke stallion guards, if need be! But before she knew it, Princess Flame found herself on sitting on Surprise's back, wearing her veil and royal clothes, and soaring through the clouds with her silly sibling, and the out-of-control mare.

"Wait... what... how did?" Flame looked around feeling totally lost. "That mare must have some kind of weird Pegasus powers, that let her do all sorts of weird things that don't make any sense!"

"Yepa diddly do!" Surprise laughed. "Now hold on, this is gonna be a bumpy ride!"

"Yeah!" The prince replied eagerly, sitting closer on her back, with his hooves wrapped tight around her neck. "Let's soar like the eagles!"

Surprise took off high into the air, spinning and tumbling around through the the clouds like an airplane. down through roads and passageways they flew, doing turns and banks around the city's minarets. They zoomed by a merchant selling custard pies, and the force of their acceleration made the pies go SPLAT against his face! The mare then flew over a group of fakirs meditating in the tranquility of the evening city square, blowing all of their turbans off, while not disturbing the holy stallion's meditation. Fire was screaming and whinnying joyfully, throwing his hooves around in the air in excitement. The princess... not so much.

"Ugh... did you have to take that last turn back there so sharply?" Flame groaned, putting her hoof over her mouth. "I think I'm gonna be sick..."

"Hey, why don't we fly through that big building down there?" Surprise asked, pointing a hoof at a large structure with a lot of steam coming out of it. "I bet you I could go in the open window on one side, and come right out the other!"

"No, lady Surprise, don't!" The princess screamed in a panic. "That's the city's stallion bathhouse, and-"

"Here we go!" The giggling mare flew in one open window, and one could hear several gasps and shrieks coming from inside the bathhouse. The The trio came flying out the other window less than a minute later, with both Princess Flame and Surprise's faces glowing a bright shade of pink.

"Holy.. I...urk!" The teenage princess looked back, eye twitching. "They were nothing like my ponyquin romance novels I import...."

"Wow, those were..." Surprise barely got out, her eyes as large as dinner plates. "No wonder Saddle Arabian mares have no interest in foreign stallions..."

"What? What is it?" Flame asked, looking back and forth between them. "It was just the bath house, the royal guards have taken me there many times!"

"We'll tell you when you're older." Both Surprise and Flame told him in unison, silencing the confused prince on the matter.

"Okay, miss Surprise, I'll admit you know how to have a... fun time." The princess admitted, a small smile on her face. "But I think we really should head back to the palace now."

"Awww, it's too early to just go back! I wanna go have more fun!" The prince whined, putting on a puppy dog face. "Oh, I know! Why don't we go and explore that old pyramid outside of the capital."

"The ancient pyramid in the desert, where are ancestors are buried?!" Princess Flame sputtered out. "Are you crazy!? That place is supposed to be haunted and cursed!"

"Ohhhh, a spooky old Pyramid? Filled with dangerous traps and ghosts?" Surprise replied excitedly, flying towards the desert at the edge of the city. "What are we waiting for!? Let's go!"

"Wait, this isn't such a good ideaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-!" As they raced towards the Pyramid, Princess Flame's protests were lost on the howling desert winds.