• Published 13th May 2015
  • 3,739 Views, 108 Comments

The Return of Sunset Shimmer - Never2muchpinkie



Sunset returns through the portal when it opens again, wanting to make amends for the past. However, things get complicatred when she discovers a familiar dark artifact. Lured by a promise of power, can Twilight save her from herself a second time?

  • ...
11
 108
 3,739

Prologue: Through the portal

Author's Note:

This story was conceived of a long time ago, when the first Equestria Girls was still relatively new, and before Season 4 started. Therefore, the mane 6 still have the Elements, and the events of Rainbow Rocks didn't happen.

It was a cold night. The full moon looked down upon the world. In the light of the solitary eye of the sky a woman with long hair the color of a roaring flame walked to a familiar place. She eyed the school she had gone to for years since she had abandoned her initial home in pursuit of something new. However, that wasn’t what she was truly interested in. It was a place nearby, under the statue of a horse.

Sunset Shimmer took a deep breath. “Thirty moons. The time sure has flown. I guess…it’s finally time to answer for the past.”

Lifting up her hand she placed it towards the marble of the statue’s base. To anyone else it was just a statue, but for the next three days it was a portal to another world. Her original world.

“Wait!” came the familiar voice, making her stop. She turned her head and saw her friends running towards her.

Sunset felt conflicting emotions of happiness and despair.

“I told you she’d be here,” said the buoyant voice of Pinkie Pie.

“Why’d ya just leave without telling us where ya were goin’, Sugarcube?” asked Applejack.

Sunset hesitated, saying evasively, “I told you… I said I’d likely be going back to Equestria when the portal opened again.”

“Yes, darling,” said Rarity, “but we’re your friends! How were we to know that that was where you had gotten to?”

“Weren’t you even going to say goodbye?” asked Rainbow Dash frigidly, her arms crossed. “I thought we’d be worth that much.”

“Don’t you care about us, Sunset?” asked Fluttershy, pulling a pitiably sad face.

Despite the accusations being thrown at her Sunset couldn’t help but smile slightly. They really did care about her, and were sad at the thought of her leaving. Turning to face them she said, “I’m sorry, everyone. I know it was wrong to go it alone, but, well…” She blushed a bit as she turned away slightly, a silly grin on her face.

“Yeeeeesssss?” said Pinkie Pie.

“Well… I just love you guys so much that I was afraid if I had a big send-off I might not be able to make myself go, even for a measly three days. Can you forgive me?” she said, looking at them again with a carefree smile.

Her response to their question broke the tension between them. Pinkie was the first to break away from the group, running towards her and nearly tackling her to the ground as she cried. “I’m gonna miss you too!”

The others were a little more restrained, but they came over too, hugging her tightly.

Sunset grinned, her heart feeling lighter than air, to feel the love around her. When they all pulled apart the feeling began to fade.

“What’s wrong?” asked Fluttershy, noticing Sunset looking down and rubbing her arm.

Sunset remembered the main reason she was so reluctant to have them be there when she left, and it only made it that much harder to be honest now. She had finally found real friends, and she didn’t want to leave with bad feelings between them.

“I… I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go there.” She looked listlessly at the ground. “I’m feeling a bit scared, honestly. What if Celestia doesn’t accept my apology? What if she decides to banish me because of what I did last time?”

She closed her eyes, but the tears came down regardless as she stated her biggest issue. “It’s my original home. It’s where I grew up. What if… what if things go so great that I… I want to stay?” She began shivering, feeling on the verge of sobbing. “We’ve gotten along so well, and I’m terrified that you’ll hate me for it. I’m scared you won’t want to be friends anymore!”

Applejack put a hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “Shoot, Sunset. Is that what’s been botherin’ ya all this time?”

Sunset sniffed and nodded, not wanting to look up and see their expressions.

Fluttershy walked over to her, giving her a big hug. “Don’t be silly. Distance is no obstacle to friendship. We’re behind you all the way.”

“That’s right!” said Pinkie strongly, joining in. “We’ll always be friends no matter where we are.”

“You’ve been away from home for far too long, darling,” said Rarity. “Who are we to stop you?” She joined in as well.

“Celestia knows ya changed ta the good side,” added Applejack. “And I think that’s all she was waitin’ fer. I doubt she’d banish ya when ya been self-imposin’ yer own banishment on yerself fer so long.” She added herself to the hug also.

“And don’t forget!” Rainbow said brightly. “You might NOT decide to stay. You got a whole three days to resolve things and make up your mind. Maybe you’ll decide you miss us way too much to stay!” Rainbow completed their group hug.

Once more Sunset felt their love surrounding her. Looking back it felt so foolish how much her fears had been ruling over her. She should have just trusted her friends and been honest with them. Joyful tears came down her eyes as she freed her arms and hugged them back.

This time when they broke apart the feeling stayed. “Thanks, you guys,” said Sunset, wiping her eyes. “I mean it! Thank you for everything.”

“Don’t ya worry none about it, Sunset,” said Applejack. “Ya go do whatcha need ta do.”

“I’m sure everything will turn out just fine,” said Rarity. “If we’re just like our Equestrian counterparts, then Princess Celestia will be wise and reasonable like our Principal Celestia.”

“If you don’t come back after three days we’ll just assume you’re having the superest, funnest, most amazingly spectacular time EVER!” said Pinkie excitedly.

“We’ll all miss you a bunch, Sunset,” said Rainbow, looking like she was holding back tears.

Fluttershy had no such reservations, her tears flowing freely. “And even if you decide to stay you’ll always be with us right here,” she put a hand to her chest, “right in our hearts.”

Sunset was a little overwhelmed by their support. She could barely hold back her tears. She turned her back on them. “I… I need to do this now, or I don’t know if I’ll be able to make myself go.”

“Bye, Sunset!” “Goodbye!” “We’ll miss you!”

All of them sent their parting words to her as she stepped forward toward the statue, lifting her arm. As she knew her hand did not meet cool stone but phased through it. “Goodbye, you guys!” Throwing away the last of her hesitation she jumped through the portal completely.

Whether she stayed or left she knew she had friends waiting for her on either side, and it was enough for her to know that.