• Published 14th May 2015
  • 498 Views, 12 Comments

The Silver Pony Slippers - Nocturn Dreamwrite



A long time ago, Princess Luna had set of magical silver pony slippers, but lost them in an accident. What will happen when they fall onto the hooves of the main six in the modern day?

  • ...
 12
 498

Chapter 6: Rarity

The Silver Pony Slippers

Chapter 6: Rarity


Rarity cantered down the main street of Ponyville. She smiled proudly as her new silver pony slippers shone brightly in the sun with each hoof step. It wasn’t long before she arrived at her boutique. She entered quietly thought the front door and placed her saddlebags neatly next to a hat stand that had a quite a lot of hooks, each one with a differently designed hat. She then walked over to the first morrow she saw to admire herself wearing her new slippers.

“Oh my stars,” said Rarity, “these are absolutely the most glamorous pony slippers I’ve ever seen. I just love how they shine. Such exquisite sheer. I wonder who made them. Fluttershy said she found them lying in the road. Anypony would have to be a complete imbecile to just throw these away, and why would they anyway? Oh never mind about that. It’s a good thing dear Fluttershy has such a good eye, and they fit me undeniably perfectly. And…”

Rarity stopped as she realized something she said didn’t sound quite right.

“That’s odd,” said Rarity. “Fluttershy was wearing these when I stopped her, and they clearly fit her, but now I’m wearing them, and they fit me as well.”

“Strange,” she continued, “The last time I checked, Fluttershy’s hoof size was two sizes smaller than mine. I should know. I make all my friends dresses for the Grand Galloping Gala including the pony slippers that accessorized the dresses. Interesting, if I was inexperienced, I would have assumed that we apparently have the same size hoof, but that doesn’t sound right at all. I must look into it. For now though, I should find a place to put these I suppose.”

Rarity began to walk around the main floor of her boutique. She was looking for a place that she could leave her new silver pony slippers and remember them later. She was walking toward a collection of shelves filled with accessory items, when her reflection in another mirror caught her eye. She paused for a moment, and then decided to try a few poses so she could see herself wearing her new slippers from every angle.

“Hmm…,” Rarity thought out loud, “I wish I had an astounding dress that could go with these slippers. Not that they really need to go with a dress, but a dress might compliment them, and perhaps… Yipe!”

Rarity was cut off by a sudden bright light that suddenly surrounded her. She closed her eyes tight not sure what was happening. She heard a small ‘pop’, but didn’t open her eyes again until she dared herself to look. Rarity looked again at her reflection, half expecting to see her mane had turned green or something of that nature. What she did see, was far from any such thing.

“Whaaa…,” she began, but she was so surprised she couldn’t even finish the word, much less the sentence. In her reflection, Rarity was wearing a beautiful gown of silver and white. It was a streamlined dress, studded with small jewels on the hems. It was fit for a princess, and was just the dress that Rarity had in mind to go with the silver pony slippers.

Rarity stepped back and looked down at herself. The mirror didn’t lie. She was indeed wearing a beautiful silver and white ball gown. She walked a few steps to the left then to the right to try it out. She looked again at the mirror then back down at herself.

“How did…,” Rarity began again before stopping in mid-sentence. She closed her eyes again, took a deep breath, and counted to ten. Then she opened her eyes again and once more looked down at herself. She was still wearing the dress. Rarity’s look of confusion finally turned into a smile.

“This…is…fabulous!” said Rarity at last. “First the slippers, and now the dress, and it’s perfect. If I didn’t know any better I would think that I made it myself. Only…”

Rarity again turned thoughtful, “How did it just suddenly appear?” she asked herself, “A complete outfit can’t just appear out of thin air. Can it?” she asked nopony in particular.

“All right,” said Rarity, “Let’s retrace my steps. Dress, mirror, inspiration, light, wish, slippers…wait,” she said at last. “There’s something, I said ‘I wish’, and then three was that bright light, and then I was wearing a dress. That’s magic, but I know it wasn’t my magic, so…” Rarity trailed off as she looked down at the floor while she rubber her chin with her hoof. Then her eyes saw it. Her slipper. She quickly put her hoof down and examined her pony slippers.

“Of course,” said Rarity, “It must have been the slippers. I was wearing them the whole time. I said ‘I wish’, and then the gown appeared. That is it. These are magic pony slippers!” Rarity then caught herself and paused once more. “Or, I could be just wishful thinking. I mean, if these slippers are magic, how would I know for sure?” She mused over the question for a moment or two. “Well…,” She began, then caught herself again and shook her head a few times. “First, I’ve got to stop trailing off at the beginning of my sentences. A proper mare always finishes what she’s saying, and second, I obviously need a quick test.”

Rarity looked back at the mirror. “Something small, but something that would prove one way or another if I’m right,” she then suddenly, inspiration presented itself to her. “Ideaaa!” said Rarity in her song-song voice of excitement. She stood up straight and tall and said, “I wish I had a tiara to go with the dress.”

A bright light similar to the one before appeared above Rarity’s head, but this time she didn’t close her eyes. Instead she looked down at her pony slippers and noticed they were glowing. She then looked back up and noticed that the light was gone, but her reflection in the mirror showed that she now bore a sparkling tiara on her head, just behind her horn. She was right.

Rarity burst into the biggest smile ever. “Squeeeeeeeee,” was all she could say at first as she began jumping up and down with excitement. “I can’t believe it,” she said, I actually have a set of magic pony slippers! I must be the luckiest mare in Ponyville, no, in Equestria. And I have the most gorgeous gown to go with it.”

At that, Rarity suddenly remembered that she was, after all, wearing a dress. She quickly stopped bouncing and regained her composure. “I must keep myself together,” she said, “I wouldn’t want to muss the material.”

“Oh, but it’s so exciting!” she said breaking out into a smile again. “I absolutely must wear this at the next Grand Galloping Gala. Ooh… I can try it out tonight in fact at the Mayor’s Birthday Party.”

“Speaking of which,” Rarity continued, “I must finish my present for the Mayor.” Rarity resumed her search for a place to leave her new slippers, and now her new dress. She saw a couple of pony manikins on the far side of the room. “That’ll do for now,” said Rarity to herself as she lightly trotted over. Using the magic of her horn, Rarity removed the shimmering new dress from herself and fitted it on the manikin as if it was wearing it. She then removed her pony slippers and placed them on the manikin’s hooves, before finally taking the tiara from her own head and placing it on the manikins. Rarity then turned back toward her saddlebags to collect her final materials that she had just bought for the Mayors present, a few clips, and a fresh spool of cerulean (blue) tread. Rarity carried the items with her magic to her work table, and upon sitting down, she put on her glasses, and began to complete her project- a splendid new collar and tie for the mayor.

As she worked, she concentrated on what she was doing, but her thoughts began to drift back to her new outfit and she began to day dream. She imagined herself at the Grand Galloping Gala. She was wearing her new ball gown, slippers, tiara, and a few other extra pieces of jewelry. Her friends were all there, and the best part, Trenderhoof was there. She had had a crush on him for the longest time now. They danced together, then took a walk in the Canterlot Gardens laughing at what the other had to say. Rarity decided to be a little clever, just to see how much of a gentlepony Trenderhoof was, and pretended to “accidentally” lose one of her front pony slippers when she lifted her left foreleg to laugh (actually she had kicked it off). Trenderhoof did exactly what she’d hoped he would do, he quickly rushed over to the slipper, picked it up with his magic, and returned it to Rarity by slipping it back onto her hoof. They were sitting on a bench, just about to kiss in the moonlight, when the loudest bell in Canterlot suddenly rang with a number of loud dongs.

Rarity snapped back to reality. She was still in front of her work table with a needle and tread in one hoof.

“Hey-ya Rarity,” said a loud squeaky voice behind her. Rarity knew it could only be one pony.

Pinkie Pie has just walked into Rarity’s Boutique. The “loudest bell in Canterlot” was actually just the bell over the door jingling merrily as Pinkie walked in.

“Oh, hello Pinkie Pie,” said Rarity quickly recovering as she turned around to greet her friend. “Sorry I didn’t see you come in.”

“Of course you didn’t silly,” answered Pinkie, “You heard me come in.”

“Excellently pointed out,” was all Rarity could say in response. “Well my dear, how may I help you?”

“Well,” said Pinkie, “I was just getting my party supplies ready so I could throw Mayor Mare’s Birthday party at the town hall, but then I remembered that you said that this is kind-of a formal party, so I should attend wearing a formal get-up, but I didn’t have a formal get-up, and then I so remembered that your place is so full of get-ups that I decided to come over and see if I could possibly get a get-up, so I came over to your place, opened the door and found you leaning across you work table. What were you looking at any way? It’s just a bit of wall, but anyways, here I am ready to find a nice get-up to war to the party, with half an hour to spare.” Pinkie smiled when she was through speaking.

Rarity wasn’t exactly thrilled that Pinkie had kept referring to her dresses as ‘get-ups,’ but suddenly that wasn’t so important when something else Pinkie has said got her attention.

“Wait!” said Rarity quickly, as she wheeled around to look at the nearest clock, “It’s only half an hour to the party starts!” She usually didn’t daydream while she worked, but today she had apparently daydreamed for longer than she had though, and was now on the verge of running late. “Oh dear,” cried Rarity, “I still haven’t finished the mayor’s present. I must do so quickly, oh, but not too quickly. Must get stitching, must get stitching.” With that Rarity turned her full attention back to her work, giving it her undivided attention. “I have never been late before, and I most certainly will not be late today,” said Rarity.

“So… about that get-up?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“I’m so sorry,” said Rarity, “Unfortunately I can’t stop right now, but tell you what, if you see anything that you like, you can have it, free of charge, whatever you decide.”

“Really?” asked Pinkie Pie, “Are you sure, anything?!”

“Yes darling,” said Rarity as she continued working, “Go right ahead.”

Pinkie Pie began to walk around the room looking at all the ‘get-ups’ that Rarity had on display. Some were on manikins, and some were on hangers. There were so many designs, and colors, but strangely Rarity didn’t seem to have anything in pink today.

“Hum…,” said Pinkie Pie aloud, “I wonder what I would look fancy in.”

Rarity’s cat Opalescence, or Opal for short, walked over to Pinkie and motioned for her to follow her. Now in truth, Opal really did like Rarity. She after all had given her a home with a bed, the best food to eat, kept her neatly groomed, and had spoiled her with toys and other things. Rarity however, sometimes was a little to eccentric for Opal’s taste. Opal didn’t mind helping Rarity with her dressmaking for the most part, but sometimes she would have her help a bit more than she would have liked to. Also, when she had accompanied Rarity on a trip to Canterlot, Rarity had soaked her in a shower to save face with her friends while she was trying to live two lives at the same time. Opal still hadn’t quite forgiven Rarity for that incident, even though she had apologized, and today she saw her chance to get vengeance for it. She had been silently watching Rarity since she had come in, and a sneaky plan and presented itself to her. Opal walked over to Pinkie Pie and tapped her foreleg with her paw to get her attention.

“Why hello Opie,” said Pinkie, “Ahh…you’re such a cute kitty. Would you like to help me?” she asked. Opal grinned and nodded her head.

“Ok Opie,” said Pinkie what do you think I would look fancy in for the mayor’s birthday party tonight?”

Opal walked over to the manikin that was wearing Rarity’s new silver dress, tiara, and pony slippers. She tapped it with her paw and then pointed over to Pinkie Pie.”

“So, does Opie think I would look fancy in this?” asked Pinkie.

Opal grinned again and nodded her head. Opal knew that in all likelihood that if a pony such as Pinkie Pie wore something as grand as this, it had little to no chance of coming back in one piece, and the tiara and slippers would probably end up lost, but this was too perfect of an opportunity to miss.

“Okie dokie lokie,” said Pinkie Pie, “Thank you for your help Opie.” Opal meowed and walked back to her bed.

“So Rarity,” called Pinkie, “Is it OK if I take this?”

Opal tensed. If Rarity looked back, her whole plan would be blown sky high, but luck was on Opal’s side.

“Sure, go right ahead darling,” said Rarity without looking back. She was almost done, but she didn’t want to stop until she was finished and absolutely satisfied with her work.

Pinkie Pie pulled the silver and white dress off the manikin and stuffed it into her saddle bag. She then put the tiara on her own head, and slipped her hooves into the silver pony slippers. Opal had to cover her mouth with her paws. This was hilarious. If Rarity had turned around, she would have had a heart attack.

“Thanks Rarity,” called Pinkie Pie as she rushed out the door, “Gotta run. See you at the party tonight,” and with that she was gone.

“Your welcome Pinkie Pie,” said Rarity. She was finally finished, and turned around. “Happy to...” she stopped when she realized that Pinkie was already gone. “Help,” she finished. “Huh…,” Rarity said to herself, “I wonder what she chose.”