• Published 19th May 2012
  • 2,798 Views, 58 Comments

Equestria's Peril - KJay



Two unlikely heros must work together with their new pony friends to stop an ancient evil.

  • ...
8
 58
 2,798

Chapter 5: Heros Are Made

Fluttershy gently removed the blankets from herself, and stretched. Last nights Gala had outshown last years by a landslide. After tending to her flowing mane, she gathered up her indoor animal friends for some breakfast.

"Slow down, we don't want a tummy ache do we?" She cooed at the various small animals who were greedily inhaling their morning banquet. Fluttershy had gotten up a little earlier than usual, and in return could see the entirety of the sun just cresting over the hills. She sat on her sofa and sighed wispfully at the view. Her ears shifted when she thought she could hear distant screaming. Without warning, Rainbow Dash came crashing through her front door, startling the animals, and Fluttershy beyond belief. She wasn't quite winded, but still muttered in breaths.

"Fluttershy! Ya gotta...come quick...Ponyville...UNDER ATTACK!"



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"Spread out! Make sure to spare a few houses! Do not lose control of your flesh dingo! And do NOT. Be taken prisoner!" The leader commanded as they approached the entrance bridge. "You." He pointed to a random recruit. "Pick out one, and only one casualty." His voice held no remorse, and his dark comrade smiled giving a slow nod.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Daniel's dreams were easeful. He had gone back to the picnic just a few days ago. The sights were so serene, that his subconscience felt the need to re-live it. His friend Kelly sat a couple feet away, chewing his PB and J, and laughing alongside the others to one of Rainbow Dash's jokes. Daniel was happy to be here again. But something was wrong. He seemed invisible to everyone, no one ever glanced in his general direction. He looked at Applejack who was busy fixing her hat as it sat sideways on her head. He smiled, and said something to her.

...............................

She didn't ackowledge him, and after a second attemp, Daniel realized...he couldn't even hear himself. He tried putting his hand in front of him, but when he felt himself raise his arm, there was nothing there. He rotated a non-existent palm. He swore he was moving, but it was like he was restrained at the same time. Daniel looked down, and would've gasped if it were possible. Nothing. Nothing below his sight but the edge of the blanket where he should have been sitting. He started to panick, and began pleading for an explanation, but everyone just continued with their own topics.

"Kelly?" Daniel looked woefully at his friend, who seemed to blatanly tune him out. "Kelly?!" Daniel was scared, stupified, annoyed, and frantic all mixing into a mess of an emotion that he had never experienced. His worries were overwhelming him. "KELLY! LOOK AT ME DAMMIT!" He streched his arm to prod Kelly, but he was nothing but a ghoslty spectator. Was this what it was like...to be a spirit...trapped in limbo? Daniel pushed the thought away. He wasn't dead! How did he get like this? Why wasn't he physically there?! His heart would've skipped a beat as he heard his friend say.

"You guys would've loved my friend, Daniel."

Daniel jolted in his makeshift bed that Applejack had made for him. He looked around and saw the rays of dawn glowing through the cracks of the shed. Daniel patted his torso, and brought up his appendages to examine them. 'Thank God it was just a dream.' But what a disturbing slumber. Why on earth would he dream something like that! Daniel shook his head, and imagined the nightmare literally falling out of his ears. He got dressed and was planning on heading to the house to shower, but was stopped by Applejack who was standing at the shed door, ready to open it just as Daniel did so.

"Oh, morning AJ." He rubbed his eyes, unaware of the horrific look Applejack was wearing.

"Daniel! Ya hafta come with me ta Ponyville RIGHT NOW!" Her urgency snapped Daniel to attention.

"What? Why, whats wrong?"

"A'll explain as we go. Come on!" She took off in a full gallop, and Daniel soon caught up. Having four accelerating limbs gave Applejack an edge on running, but the human's legs were much longer, and just as durable. They sprinted side by side. "Rainbow Dash stopped by not too long ago. She said that monsters were attackin' tha town! At first, ah thought she was full of horseapples, but she SHOWED ME! Look!" They came to a halt on a hill that gave them a bird's eye view of the town. Smoke ascended from two or three homes, and faint cries for help could be heard.

Daniel had never seen anything like this happen on the show. He wanted to sum it up to a freak accident, but AJ had insisted on Dash's story. Again, Applejack darted towards the chaos that was ensuing, as Daniel readily followed. As they neared the bridge that seperated the town and the path to AJ's farm, Daniel and Applejack halted to an ebony figure with reddish brown robes, mounted atop a snarling rabid dog-like creature held obediantly by reigns, and holding a torch. It cackled a deep choked laugh before reaching up, and setting the nearest roof ablaze. Applejack stood mouth agape. Just like the humans, she had never seen these kinds of creatures before. Anger quickly ebbed into her mind, and she made a mad rush for the dark figure eager to punish him for such a malicious deed.

"Applejack, WAIT!" Daniel cried as he took off after the enraged pony. His shout alerted the shadow soldier, who turned to face the orange mare. Applejack could feel fear welling up, telling her to stop, but this monster had no place burning down somepony's home like that. She gritted her teeth, and leaped intent on knocking the assailant off of its demonic steed.

"This one seems to have a death wish. I'll happily grant it." The soldier said under his breath. He waited until the freckled equin was in mid-flight, when he unsheathed his blade that camouflaged with the rest of his black body. He held it up, and in front of him like a lance; expecting to effortlessly impale the small horse. Applejack caught sight of the deadly object, and tried to twist her body around to avoid certain death. She curved herself enough for the sword to slightly graze her just above her flank. Applejack landed awkwardly with a thud, as blood trickled from the cut. She stood as quickly as she could, but found herself at a dangerously close distance to the shadowy figure.

The flesh dingo dripped foam from its jaws, wanting nothing more but to sink its mishapen teeth into the soft prey's hide. Only the figure riding it kept it from doing so. The soldier laughed and brought his sword above his head.

"Consider it an honor to be the first to die in the name of Lord Ferindher." Applejack winced at the pain near her haunches as she tried to scurry backwards. The shadow laughed once more before swinging his arm down, but his hold on the weapon was lost as he felt a tremendous force knock him off of his mount. Applejack regained her balance as she saw Daniel lying on top of the vile shadow, his fist reared back.

"You SON OF A..." Daniel didn't bother finishing, as he began wailing on the shadow's face. Black droplets formed on his knuckles acting as blood. The shadow felt solid, but his consistency was slightly softer than skin. The soldier soon countered by catching one of Daniel's punches, and delivering one of his own. Daniel tumbled away as the shadow shifted to retrieve his weapon. Daniel shook his head from the blow, and located the evil form crawling to obtain it's lost blade. He wasted no time in picking the shadow up by its robes, and slamming it into the very building it had set fire to. The soldier was just smaller than Daniel's figure but only weighed about a hundred pounds or so.

Applejack watched on in amazement as her human friend wrestled and struggled with the dark being against the side of the house, both flaunting trying to get the better hold on one another. Her attention was altered as she heard a low growl. She turned her head to see the now free-to-roam flesh dingo slowly advancing while licking its decayed lips.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------



"Spike! Stay indoors! Me and Kelly will handle this!" Twilight slammed the door to the library, and locked it with her magic.

"Twilight, wheres Rainbow Dash?!" Kelly asked, standing a few feet away from her.

"She went to go warn Applejack and Fluttershy!" She had to yell from the noises of panic rising in the town. Kelly looked for the source of the chaos. He watched as two dark figures riding what looked like a zombie dog, set fire to a house. He could hear the cries from the family inside. 'How can this be happening?' He thought. 'Nothing this morbid has ever happened on the show.'

"Twilight!" Kelly put on an authoritive tone. "Can you douse those flames with your magic?!" She shook her head.

"I cant cast ice magic!" Kelly could hear the screams getting louder.

"Okay...then...Oh, go around and tell everyone to evacuate to the fields! I've gotta get that family out of there!"

"Kelly!" He turned, and saw a look of desperation, as if she were going to object. "Just...be careful." Kelly smiled.

"Don't worry about me, just get everyone to safety!"

"What about the attackers?!"

"Avoid them if possible, I'll see what I can do about them!" Kelly's voice faded as he made his way to the burning building. The door was locked. He got a running start and slammed into the frame with all he had. It started to give away. After a second attempt, the door splintered off of it's hinges, and Kelly fell onto it. He stood and noticed the flames spreading from the ceiling to the floor. The ponies inside were still crying for help. "Upstairs." He bolted to the staircase, and began to sweat from the excersice as well as the rising heat from the fire.

Smoke was forming lowering his visibilty, and choking him. "HELLO?! *cough...WHERE ARE YOU?"

"In here! PLEASE!" He could he a mare's voice projecting from the next door down. He crouched to keep from inhaling any more of the toxic vapor, and opened the door. In the corner of a bedroom stood a stallion, and presumably his wife, who was trying to comfort a small crying foal. They both looked up and gasped, expecting another pony perhaps.

"COME ON, COME ON! We have to get you outside!" The husband looked to his wife and nodded. They slowly moved toward the human, taking notice of the creaking and weakening floors. Once they were in the hall, Kelly cursed under his breath as he saw the steps now completely engulfed in flames. A portion of the house collapsed, as Kelly put a protecting arm over the trio. The mother was starting to sob, fearing for her baby's life. Kelly looked over the railing. It was a decent drop, but there was no other way down. He kicked the rail guards off to shorten his fall. When he was down, he looked at a zig-zagging passage of fire to the front door. The family was looking down at him from the upper floor.

"Can you jump down?!"

"I think we can make it!" The father responded.

"I can't jump down while holding the baby!" The mother protested. Kelly anxiously looked at the exit...it was going to cave soon.

"Throw him down!" The mother looked at him as if he were insane, and pulled her child closer to her. "Please, trust me! It's the only way down! I won't let any harm come to him!" The mother still looked uncertain, but her husband put a comforting hoof on her shoulder. The flames were enclosing on them.

"Please, dear. It's our only option." The mother, tear stricken, looked at Kelly who had his hands out, ready to recieve the precious bundle. She gripped her baby with her teeth, and looked intentively at the human. She hesitated, and released the child. Kelly got underneath the bundle and cradled it like a football.

"Okay, now you two! Come on!" Kelly stepped back so that they had room to land without being too close to the fire. The couple hopped down, and they heard the creaking of wood, succumbing to the flames. "RUN! COME ON!" Kelly was already halfway to the exit, as the couple trailed him. Fresh air was welcomed as Kelly stepped down from the porch, still holding the foal close to him. The parents emerged from the scorched home, coughing from the smoke and covered in soot. The mother was crying of relief and joy as Kelly handed her her bundle, who was now calmed and quiet.

"Thank you..." She hugged Kelly, and he gladly hugged back.

"Of course. But you have to listen. Twilight Sparkle is rounding up everyone, and evacuating to the fields outside of Ponyville. Are all three of you okay to go there?" The father nodded.

"We'll be fine, and thank you." Kelly smiled at him, but the father's expression changed from gratitude to a look of horror. He was eyeballing something behind the human and Kelly quickly turned to look. The dark figure from before was but ten feet away casting a glance at the family, then at the human. His mount was snarling incoherently.

"It seems Ferindher somehow made a mistake about you useless humans. No wonder the flesh dingos were needed." Kelly had no idea what this thing was talking about. Who the hell was Ferindher? He couldn't remember him from the show. Kelly would have to figure this out later though, this asshole had to be dealt with. He looked back at the family and motioned for them to leave. He then looked at the shadow, and scowled.

"I don't know what the hell you are, but your not leaving until some questions are answered." He brought a foot back, and clenched his fists. The shadow just laughed.

"You don't have to worry about catching me, I'm not going anywhere. Serk told Ryed only one casualty was allowed, but I suppose you could be an exception, human." The beast he rode on growled as if it were agreeing with him. The dark soldier unsheathed his weapon, and commanded the flesh dingo to charge. He closed in on Kelly fast taking a swipe at him, but Kelly had rolled away just in time. He frantically searched for anything he could use to defend himself properly, but the best he could get was a broom that laid not too far from the now collapsed home. The soldier brought the flesh dingo around, ready for another attempt.

Kelly held the broom like a staff, and waited for the second attack. When the soldier came within range, Kelly swung at the rider, but the shadow snickered, and chopped clean through the wood, removing the bristles. Kelly recoiled, and was left with a stunted stick. He balanced himself, and contemplated his next move. 'Lets see how well he fares without that fucking dog.' The soldier was through playing around, and moved in for a finisher. Kelly brought the stick behind him, but just as the soldier was in range, he swung low; tripping the flesh dingo and dismounting the shadow.

Kelly smirked at his successful blow, but the moment was short lived. The shadow stood with his blade still in hand, and the flesh dingo was now free to act upon it's primal hunger. Kelly shifted his view back and forth, trying to pick out the greater threat. He slowly backed away, and decided it was best to escape somehow. He made a mad dash down the middle chucking the mutilated broom stick at the shadow, who tried to intercept. He cleared the soldier, but turned to find the rabid dingo pouncing; bloodlust reflected in its eyes. He pivoted and brought his left arm up, shielding his neck.

The dog bit down on Kelly's wrist, making him yell out in pain, and anger. The monster had him on his back as he thrashed to get free. Kelly put his right hand up to the dingo's throat and pushed up releasing the beast's jaws from his bleeding wrist. The flesh dingo dripped froth from it's maw as it struggled for another taste. Kelly desperately tried to plant his foot under the dingo's underbelly to kick it off, but the rabid beast twitched violently forward towards his throat. Kelly looked up just past the monster to see the shadow standing over him with both hands grasping the hilt, ready for the death strike. Kelly thought he could see a glimmer of a grin under it's hood as he waited for the sword's edge.

Kelly brought his attention back to the flesh dingo as an white flash bucked the shadow away.

"Rarity!" He exlaimed still wresting with the rabid dog. The weight of the monster left him as another friendly face tackled it with unreal force. "Pinkie!" Kelly scrambled to his feet, and saw Rarity backing away from the angered soldier. He noticed the sword was lying where the soldier was standing over him. The dark being crept towards the unicorn.

"Stay away, you ruffian!" She sounded confident, but the shadow still advanced. He was just about to close in on her when the human stood between him, and revenge. Kelly was wielding his blade, and pondered whether he should run and thrust it into it's original wielder. 'How would Rarity or Pinkie even react to me killing something?' His thoughts vanished as he heard the shadow speak.

"You win this time...human." He drew the last word out slow and menacingly. Rarity glanced at Pinkie who was lying on top of the flesh dingo. The monster snapped its jaws and growled, but Pinkie scowled and growled back, almost sounding like a dog. She took a deep breath.

"YOU DON'T HURT MY FRIENDS YOU BIG MEEEAAANIIEE!!!" Her voiced boomed right into the dingo's face pushing it's ears back. The monster actually look frightened by the pink mare's assertiveness. Pinkie let it up still giving it a mean glare as the dingo backed away...wimpering?! The shadow that Kelly had warded off jumped onto the beast's back, grabbed the reigns, and retreated to the exit of Ponyville.

"AND DON'T COME BACK!" Kelly shouted pumping the dark sword in the air. "Thanks, you guys. If you hadn't shown up..." Kelly felt no need to finish.

"Well, what are friends for?" Rarity smiled, but still shivered from what just took place.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" Pinkie pointed to Kelly's bloody wrist.

"I'll be fine, we need to make sure theres no more of those...things running around. Did you guys see Twilight?" Rarity nodded.

"She said you had stayed behind to help somepony, so we came to make sure you were okay."

"Okay, well..." Kelly looked at the sword, and held it in front of him. "I've got this now, so I think I should be okay. You two head to the fields with everyone else." Rarity shook her head.

"Were not leaving you alone dear. Look what almost happened." Kelly sighed. There was no time to argue.

"Okay, but promise me you'll be careful. The last thing I want to see is you guys getting hurt." Pinkie bounced up to him.

"Don't worry Kelly Belly, we'll be careful. Now lets go get those party poopers!" 'Kelly Belly, huh. geuss thats my nickname.' Kelly snickered, as they looked around for any more attackers.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"APPLEJACK, HANG ON!" Daniel called as he forced the shadow against the house.

"Don't worry 'bout me Daniel, ah can handle mahself!" Applejack was circling around with the flesh dingo, waiting for it to make a move so she could buck it right in it's ugly mug. The thing was barely larger than her. The beast zig-zagged and lunged, but AJ waited until it was just close enough to put her hind legs forward, and kicked harder than any apple tree she had ever bucked before. Her injury stung, and protested against the harsh movement, but she ignored it. The dingo let out a high pitched whine, and shook it's head from the blow. Applejack wasted no time in putting on another layer of hurt as she charged and used her head to ram the beast right in the side, sending it sprawling, and gasping for air. The flesh dingo admitted it's defeat, and took off around the building, howling in pain. Applejack looked at where Daniel was brawling with the dark figure, but he wasn't there. She saw the soldier lying motionless next to the house.

"That asshole's out cold." He said as he walked up to her. His lip was busted from one of the licks the shadow got on him, and he limped slightly from a low kick. Daniel was also holding the sword that the soldier had used to hurt his friend. "We need to move, now. We have to find the others." Applejack didn't really pay any attention to what he said. Her eyes darted frantically for an explanation.

"Why?! W-what are they?! Why are they doin' this ta Ponyville?!" Daniel put his hand on her shoulder, and she looked at him. She was on the verge of tears.

"It's okay. We just need to make sure everyone's alright, and check if there are more of these guys." Daniel gestured toward the unconscience shadow. He hugged her to make sure she was comforted.

"Okay, lets go." They left the area, and called out to anyone nearby who might hear them. Daniel saw several more shadows riding about and acting like pyromaniacs, but they took off on their demonic mounts before he could get near them with his new weapon. After a short while, they ran into Kelly who was accompanied by Rarity and Pinkie.

"Daniel! Applejack! You're okay!" Kelly set down his sword, and gave his friend a hug.

"What's been going on, how did this happen?" Daniel asked. Kelly picked up the sword again.

"I couldn't tell you, we ran into some...dark dimented person, who was riding a demonic rabid dog."

"Look, it's Rainbow Dash." AJ pointed to a cyan pony flying towards them.

"Guys! You're okay!" She folded her wings, and landed next to the group.

"Rainow Dash, what did you see from the sky?" Kelly asked.

"I saw a herd of creeps riding out of Ponyville. Are they the ones who caused this?!" They all nodded.

"Me and Pinkie helped Kelly chase one off." Rarity stated.

"I beat the shit out of one near one of the bridges." Daniel smiled.

"Applejack, are Applebloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith safe?" Dash asked.

"They're safe n' sound on the farm, and if any of those things go there, Big Mac can handle'em."

"Okay good, Twilight has gathered everypony out in the fields. She sent me here to put out the fires." Dash immediately began flying in small circles around some nearby flames, engulfing them in a vortex and snuffing them out. Kelly looked around.

"Does anyone know where Fluttershy is?" A faint shriek could be heard from far away.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes earlier

"Spike, help me do a head count and make sure everypony's here. Ms. Mayor, we could use your help in gathering their attention and settling down." Twilight and her assistant took down attendance of the evacuation while the Mayor calmed the fretful crowd. "Okay, besides Rarity, Kelly, and Pinkie Pie, everypony seems to be accounted for except...Daniel, and the Apple family." Twilight looked around for her pegasus friend. "Rainbow Dash?" Dash swooped in front of her.

"Yeah?"

"Can you and Fluttershy go and see if the missing ponies, and humans are okay? And after that, you should use your wing power to choke out some of those fires." Dash put a saluting hoof to her head, but was dead serious.

"Gotcha, come on Fluttershy!" The canary pegasus timidly followed her. Twilight looked back at her list.

"Wait a minute. Were also missing Scootaloo!" Before she could tell her pegasi friends of the absent filly, they were long gone. Dash and Fluttershy yawed back and forth scanning the roads for their friends. Dash noticed a group of humanoid figures leaving the town in the opposite direction of the Everfree Forest. She wanted badly to go after them, but she needed to make sure her friends weren't hurt...or worse.

"Oh, my!" Fluttershy uttered as she angled away from Dash, and flew towards a cowering filly. "Scootaloo!" She called, but not quite loud enough to hear. The orange filly flinched when Fluttershy landed next to her, but smiled as she recognized who it was.

"Fluttershy!" She half laughed half cried. Her eyes were red from tears. "I'm s-scared. I wanna get out of here!" She wailed running up to Fluttershy's leg. Fluttershy put her hoof around her.

"I know sweetie. Don't worry, Twilight had everypony gathered out in the fields." A house noisily gave way, scaring Scootaloo further. "C'mon, lets go." But instead of jumping onto Fluttershy's back, Scootaloo screamed loudly and hid behind the adult pony. Fluttershy looked to see what had frightened her. Her eyes dialated into small orbs when a terrifying dog-like creature spotted them, and eyed them with hunger. Fluttershy froze. This thing was nothing like anything she'd seen before. Not even the most fearful monster in the Everfree amounted to how grotesque this thing appeared.

"Stay behind me." She whispered. Fluttershy had no choice but to use her stare to save Scootaloo and herself. Her eyes grew wide, and commanding, as she took an authoritive stance. The flesh dingo stopped its advance and fell under her command. Fluttershy held the hypnotic gaze and silently commanded it to stand down. As she peered deeper into it's soul, she could see the pain it endured during it's time in Tartarus, and it broke her concentration. She closed her eyes for the tiniest moment, but it was just enough for the demonic dingo to break free of the trance, and resume it's approach. It almost seemed to crack a grin as it would be seconds away from the orderve, and the main course. Fluttershy squeeked as her second try failed.

"YOU GET AWAY FROM HER!!!" Fluttershy looked to see Kelly run faster than she'd ever seen him move and slam his body weight into the predator. She also took notice of the black sword that he held in his right hand. "Go! Run!" It took a moment for her to realize he was talking to her.

"C'mon Scootaloo!" She guided the filly over to where more of her friends, as well as Daniel, emerged from around the corner. Kelly stepped to the side to avoid a lunge from the dingo. He brought his sword up, and sliced at the mutt, cutting it around one of it's hind legs. The beast ignored the trauma, it was too starved to care. Kelly shuffled backwards as it snapped at his legs. He waited for the right time, and kicked the demon across the face, making it stumble back. Before it could pick itself up, the flesh dingo found itself pinned down as Kelly planted his left foot hard on it's side.

The beast snarled in protest, but couldn't get free. Kelly felt pitty for what he was about to do, but this wasn't a creature he could spare without putting his friends in danger. He grasped the hilt with both hands, and positioned the sword in a downward stabbing motion.

"RAAAAHHH!" He screamed as he plunged the shadowy steel into the helpless creature's neck, misplacing his aim which was for the heart. The damage was done though, as the dingo began to bleed out. It gave a final low growl, and it's bloodshot eyes closed as it gave in to the mortal wound.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Several minutes had gone by by the time Celestia had shown up with her guards as well as the captain, Shining Armor.

"Where's Twilight?! Is she okay?!"

"I'm right here big brother." Twilight emerged from the crowd of ponies forming back into the crippled town.

"Oh, thank Luna." He brought his sister in for a loving hug. "So, what the hay happened here?"

"Were not entirely sure. It was just this morning that these dark figures riding those awful mutts attacked Ponyville! I am at a complete loss for any kind of motive." Shining Armor turned his attention to Kelly and Daniel sitting on a porch a few yards away.

"Are those the humans everypony keeps talking about?" Twilight nodded.

"From what I hear from my friends, those two were incredibly heroic during the assault. AJ told me that Daniel saved her from one of the attackers, and busted him up pretty good. Fluttershy said Kelly put himself in danger to save her and a filly named Scootaloo." She pointed to the appropriate human as she named them.

"Quite comendable." Celestia approached the pony and stallion.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight respectfully bowed.

"Hello Twilight, my star pupil. It sounds like it was the right call keeping those two around." She gestured towrds the boys. "I only regret not being here sooner. Nopony was..." Twilight quickly shook her head.

"No, princess, the town is in bad shape, but everypony made it out okay." Celestia let her tension fall.

"Good, good." She surveyed the town. Rainbow had already put out the blazes, and rebuilding the homes would take some time. The Mayor finished negotiating with her advisors, and approached the Princess.

"Your majesty, I believe it would be best if we housed those who lost their homes at City Hall. Theres more than enough room, and they'll be well provided until we can restore Ponyville." Celestia smiled.

"Very well, I am going to assign some guards here for a lengthy period to ensure this doesn't happen again if these attackers decide to return." Celestia, Twilight, and Shining Armor trotted up to Kelly and Daniel. The humans stood as they approached. "I want to personally thank both of you for what you have done today. You may have only been here for a short time, but you still showed loyalty, and courage during a time of crisis. Without your actions, it makes me shudder to think what could've happened to some of my little ponies."

"And I want to thank you, Princess." Kelly began. "I'm glad that you made the decision to let us stay, and become good friends with the elements. I am more than willing to risk my life for those I care about." Daniel wasn't sure how to feel. He had never cared much for the show or it's characters (save, Applejack) but now that he was there...with them...they were real...they were his friends. How was he not to care in some way.

"I'm thankful too." Daniel said. "While I'm still worried about how we'll get home, these ponies have showed me and Kelly hospitality that I wish I could repay easier than just manual labor."

"And ya have." AJ walked up with the other elements.

"Yeah, you guys are like...my bestest best friends FOORREEEVVVEEERRR!" Pinkie happily smiled.

"You boys are true gentlecolts in my eyes." Rarity added.

"The way you guys took on those creatures. So...awesome!" Dash squished her face up with her hoofs.

"Thank you Kelly...for protecting us." Fluttershy stood next to Scootaloo, who ran up to Kelly and gave him a hug.

"Yeah, thanks." Twilight gave her thanks as well, and her brother approached the humans.

"Thank you for keeping my sister and her friends safe. I'm Shining Armor by the way." The boys shook his hoof.

"Twilight's your sister?" Daniel asked, and Shining Armor nodded.

"You two have more than earned your place here in Equestria, you may be humans, but as far as I'm concerned, your just as important to me now as any of my little ponies." Celestia stated. Kelly almost fell over from pure joy. He was accepted by these ponies as well as Celestia herself. This was a day he would never forget. He gathered everyone nearby in a group hug.

"Best. Day. EVER!" The ponies were surprised by his sudden eccenrtic behavior, but giggled at his excitement.

"Your majesty." A grey coated guard appeared before the Princess. "Everypony is back in town, those who were injured are being treated at the hospital, and reconstruction crews are starting on the damaged homes."

"Splendid." Celestia then looked at the humans. "Are either of you injured?"

"We were, but Fluttershy took care of that." Celestia nodded.

"Good."

"Theres something else Princess."

"Yes?"

"It seems we have a prisoner." Celestia raised a brow.

"I thought the attackers fled?"

"We found him lying in front of one of the houses. Looks like he got left behind." Two more guards carried the still unconscience shadow in front of the humans, the elements, and the Princess. Celestia eyed him with as much hatred as she could muster.

"AWAKEN!" She shouted. Her magic jolted the soldier violently, and brought him to look up drowsily. "What is your name?" She said in a grim tone. The soldier muttered something inaudible. "SPEAK UP!" She levitated the dark being and pushed him back onto the ground.

"Ryed." The shadow rasped.

"Why have you and your men attacked my subjects?" The shadow laughed.

"Because we were ordered to."

"BY WHO !"

"That...your majesty." He said mockingly. "I will not tell you." Celestia's eyes faintly glowed.

"Unless you wish to be aquainted with the sun's surface, you will tell me who sent you!"

"Well then, it looks like your going to have to do just that. I'm not speaking a word to you."

"As you wish." Celestia said in a monotone voice. Her horn emmited a red glow, and the soldier was engulfed in the same color aura.

"Princess, wait." Daniel spoke up. The princess stopped her banishment spell, and looked at Daniel puzzled. "I bet we could get him to talk." He then looked at Kelly.

"You mean like interrogation?" Kelly said with a hint of surprise. Daniel nodded. Kelly looked at the shadow, and frowned. He didn't feel any remorse for the being. It had tried to hurt...even kill some the ponies that he cared a great deal for. From the looks of it, it was nothing more than the embodiment of a cruel, evil, individual. Hell, it was even made of pure darkness. "Alright. Princess, if you or anyone else here don't want to see this, you don't have to." But the ponies stayed, curious of the human's plan with the shadow. "Would you like to do the honors?" Daniel shrugged.

"Sure, I already messed him up once, I have no problem doing it twice." Kelly walked over and picked the shadow up from behind, and held it's arms behind it's back. He stood it up only to kick it's calfs, bringing it to it's knees.

"W-what are you doing?" The shadow asked in a worried tone.

"You are gonna tell us who sent you." Kelly said, as his friend stepped in front of the prisoner and cracked his knuckles. The soldier recognized him immediately.

"You..." it said.

"Thats right, me." Daniel responded before bringing a sharp hook across the shadow's face, making the ponies gasp. "Now tell me who sent you!" The shadow was silent for a moment.

"No..." Daniel planted another punch in the same fashion.

"We can play this game all day pal." Daniel waited for what the prisoner had to say, but it sat in complete silence. Daniel drove his knee into the shadow's gut, as Kelly released it, letting it fall over wheezing. Kelly then leaned down.

"Look, we don't take pleasure in doing this, but you did just try to kill our friends and all, so this is going to keep up until you tell us what we want to know." The shadow laughed loudly.

"Nothing you do to me can even compare to what Ferinher will do if I betray him." The shadow choked on his own breath as he realized his mistake.

"Ferindher?" Kelly and Daniel said in unison. Celestia's face went pale when she heard the shadow speak it's leader's name.

"One of the other shadows mentioned that same name before." Kelly stated.

"KILL ME!" The shadow screamed, making the humans jump back. "Kill me, PLEASE!" Everyone froze, not knowing what to do. The shadow jumped up and shoved Kelly out of the way to retrieve the black sword that lie on the ground from earlier.

"Stop him!" Shining Armor commanded. Several guards bolted after the shadow, but not before the dark being could grab the weapon, and turn it on himself. The black sword peirced Ryed's stomach as he doubled over and fell to his knees. The guards stopped pursuing and everyone stared in horror as Ryed took his own life. Labored breathing could be heard from the soldier, followed by a dying gasp. It tooks a few minutes for the shock to die down, and when it did, Kelly looked at the Princess who still couldn't believe her ears.

"Is everything okay, Princess?" She didn't respond directly. She had the 'thousand-mile stare', and muttered.

"Ferindher..." Twilight was curious.

"Princess...who's Ferindher?" She still didn't aknowledge anyone talking to her, and added.

"Impossible..."

"P-princess?" Celestia snapped to attention, and had the look of utmost sincerity.

"Shining Armor. You and your men finish up here. Please dispose of that shadow, and return to Canterlot. There is something I must tell the elements and humans." Shining Armor saluted.

"Yes, your majesty." Celestia looked to her student.

"Twilight, we will go to your home to discuss this matter. I fear Equestria may be on the brink of something catastrophic if Ferindher truly has returned."

"But Princess, who exactly is this Ferindher fella?"

"All in good time, Applejack. Twilight, lead the way."



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"Alright, we'll rest here for now. I do believe the attack was a success." Serk looked approvingly at his men.

"Ha, those ponies never saw it coming."

"Haven't felt that destructive in a while."

"Can't believe that damn human took my sword."

"HOLD IT!" Serk shouted. "Where. is. Ryed?" Everyone looked around, and uneasy murmuring filled the clearing.

"Maybe he just fell behind."

"I...don't see him anywhere." Serk's expression was grim.

"He must have...been captured." One of the shadows spoke up.

"No! We don't know that for sure! M-maybe he was killed during the assault! Yeah, thats it!"

"It doesn't matter..." Serk said souding depressed. "He's missing, and we all know Ferindher is going to assume the worst."