• Published 19th May 2012
  • 2,798 Views, 58 Comments

Equestria's Peril - KJay



Two unlikely heros must work together with their new pony friends to stop an ancient evil.

  • ...
8
 58
 2,798

Chapter 9: Reunion

"Great news you guys! Princess Celestia got your latest training report this morning, she says you two are ready for a full initiation!" Shining Armor had been instructed to inform the humans of their achievement, and bring them to the throne room. He expected a more ecstatic reaction, but instead was met with mild excitement.

"Cool..." Kelly started.

"...So, what exactly does that mean?" Daniel added. Shining Armor laughed.

"Doesn't mean anything important, just that you get your vey own weapons, and you get to go back to Ponyville. You would normally get your own custom made armor, but none of our blacksmiths could get your...design quite right." Kelly took off like a rocket.

"AWWWWWWW YEAH! We get to go back to Ponyville! Swwweet!" Daniel's enthusiasm was divergent.

"What kind of weapons do we get?!"

"You'll just have to come and find out." Shining teased. Cadance accompanied her husband, and approached the boys.

"Congraulations, both of you, I'm sure everypony back in Ponyville will be proud. I know we sure are." Kelly smiled.

"Thanks Cadance, we promised to help however we could, and that's just what were going to do."

"C'mon, we don't want to keep everypony waiting." Shining beckoned for them to follow. The group was quiet on the trip to the great hall, which wasn't too far. The large double doors that seperated them from the throne room gave the boys an odd sense of acquisition.

"You two, wait at the door once we step inside." The boys nodded. Shining opened the doors with his magic, as him and his wife walked side by side down the welcoming carpet. Once they were out of earshot, Daniel did a quiet cat-call.

"He's a lucky guy." Kelly gave a look of shear unapproval.

"Be quiet." The boys both stood with their hands behind their back, unsure what to expect. They soon heard the Sun Goddess call on them.

"Daniel, and Kelly. Please step forth." They complied, and was apprehensive once all eyes were on them. Not only were the royal sisters present, but with them were Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance. To the side were Chival Glow, and Meta Shroud; silently commending the boys for their hard work. And lastly was a small crowd of guards to bear witness to the ceremony. Despite all of the attention, Kelly and Daniel neared the first steps, and stood patiently for what was next to come. Celestia looked to her sister, and they nodded in succession.

"We have brought to this castle countless brave, and noble guardsmen. Each one a living symbol of Peace in Canterlot, and an even greater embodiment of Justice throughout Equestria. On this day, we add two brave souls to our ranks. Under the wise, and encouraging mentorship of Chival Glow, and Meta Shroud; these two have blossomed from pages to knights. Kelly and Daniel." The boys brought their attention to her. "Under the celestial rays of the sun, and the lunar light of the moon, do you solemnly swear to stand by Equestria in times of peace, and conflict?" The human's hearts were racing.

"We do." they answered in unison.

"To aid your fellow protectors, and strive to withhold a safe haven amongst yourselfs, and the citizens of this country?"

"We do."

"And if the time ever comes; to risk your life for your fellow guardsmen, as well as the citizens of Equestria?" Kelly looked at Daniel, who returned the glance with a blank expression. Daniel turned back to the Princess, and Kelly soon did the same.

"...We do."

"Then by the royal chain of commendation, I, Princess Celestia." Luna stepped forward.

"And we, Princess Luna."

"Hereby decree Kelly and Daniel to be the first human Equestrian guards." The boys expected cheering to ensue, but there was still the last part of the ceremony. They watched in awe as the sisters powered their magic to an almost blinding level. A strong flash followed, and when the light had gone, two swords levitated in front of the alicorns. Daniel squinted to get a better look, but there was no need as the blades glided slowly to them. They stopped a couple of feet in front of them.

"These weapons are a mark of thy strength, may they protect thee, and thy friends in times of danger." Kelly reached for his sword, and examined it all around. It had a polished sky-blue hilt accompanied by a golden cross guard that curved slightly upwards. On each end, a single amethyst stone was embedded. The blade was straight at about three and a half feet, and had a strong medieval aura to it. The lustrous finish glittered brightly by the sun light coming through the window.

Daniel's weapon was distinctly different in multiple ways. The hilt was a subtle crimson followed by a straight, but rounded silver cross guard. Instead of amythist, the guard was embedded with two turquoise stones. The blade was roughly the same length as Kelly's, but was shaped almost to the replication of a katana. The finish was darker, but still held a gleam from the rays in the window. Both humans spotted something at the very base of the pommel. Kelly's bore the same symbol as Celestia's cutie mark, while Daniel's was fastened with Luna's.

"These swords are very special. They are a stepping stone for your persistance in combat, as well as a gift from us."

"A gift?" Kelly asked.

"Yes. When it was easier to say no, and wait everything out, you two chose to help. You chose to hone your talents, and utilize new skills in our favor. You gave your time and effort for our sake, when you had no real need to. I admire your noble nature, and by your actions, I am glad to have renewed faith in your kind." Kelly smiled at his friend, and Daniel smiled back, humbled by Celestia's words. Surprisingly, Daniel was the one to respond.

"Princess, it was an honor to help in any way we could, and we thank you for everything in return." Kelly nodded at him, and gave a friendly pat on the back.

"I'm still not a brony." Daniel whispered.

"Fair enough."

"We cannot extend our thanks enough." Luna responded. "But it's not just the gift that makes these blades special. Thy sword is enchanted." Celestia took over.

"They are yours to take wherever, but they will never encumber you when not in use." The boy's silence, and expressions told Celestia to explain. "You can summon them at your will, and dispell them just the same."

"How do we do that?" Kelly asked.

"Thou arst not unicorns, but with practice, it shall soon become second nature." The boys studied their swords, trying to make them dissipate as the Princess' had said.

"Imagine dropping them, or the hilt leaving your grasp. If you can imagine that you do not feel them, they will vanish at your command." It sounded easy, but pretending that something your touching isn't actually there took some mental practice. Finally, with a bit of patience the weapons evaporated into a small poof of light, and the humans snickered in astonishment. "Well done. To bring them back, you must simply imagine them within your grasp, which should prove much easier." Celestia was right. In only a few seconds, they were once again holding their blades after a similar flash of light. "Very well done, and with practice, it should become easier each time." Kelly gave the air a slow swipe.

"Thanks again, Princess'."

"The next reward would tradionally be thy armor, unfortunately, we do not posess the proper means of fitting thee. We apologize." The boys were about to reassure her, but Celestia spoke up.

"Instead, we can only offer the spell that we bestow upon all full initiates."

"This spell will strengthen thy resolve, and give thou the resiliance of a hardened warrior." Of course, the boys didn't know entirely what she meant, but stayed quiet as the sisters powered their magic once again. The light from the spell was not as intense as the last, but much more communal. Both Kelly, and Daniel could feel an increasing pressure on their bodies as the spell enveloped them. Whatever weariness or fatigue that ailed them was instantatiously gone. They could feel a renewed energy course through their veins. A final moment of stillness, and the colorful cloud from the enchantment dissapeared. No one said a word as the humans gathered themselves, and examined each other.

They looked no different, but sure felt different. The spells effects, coupled with their new abilities, led them to believe that they could take on anyone, or anything.

"Feeling rejuvenated?" Celestia chuckled.

"You don't know the half of it." Daniel commented. Some of the guards shifted uncomfortably from the informality, but the sisters took no offense.

"We have now reached the climax of this ceremony. As the co-ruler of Equestria, I speak on behalf of myself and the fair ponies of this land; thank you, both of you." Kelly nor Daniel was sure of what to do next, so they did what felt appropriate. Each took a knee, and bowed respectfully. The cheering then ensued. The boys stood as multiple guards; including their former mentors, swarmed them with congrats, and hoof/fist bumps. Once the noise had settled. Daniel looked at the Princess'.

"So what happens now?" Celestia smiled.

"Now, you return to your friends in Ponyville. Be prepared for anything Ferindher might have in store for us. In the meantime, we shall keep searching for a solution to send you home. There is a train departing for Ponyville very soon, Shining Armor, Chival, and Meta will guide you to the station."

"Alright, let's go, Kelly."

"Right behind you."

"Wait." Celestia called. "Before you go, take this." She levitated a book to Kelly. He took hold of the spine and read the cover.

Shard of the Traitune

"This book is the only lead we have so far as to how you got here. I've been meaning to send this to Twilight, but have been occupied with stationing protection across Equestria. Ferindher could attack from anywhere."

"I'll make sure she gets this, don't worry."

"You have my appreciation. Safe travels to Ponyville." With that, the boys waved their goodbye, and departed from Canterlot Castle.



--------------------------------------------------------------



Plexis watched from one of the guard towers as the humans made their way to the station, accompanied by their teachers, and the Captain of the Royal Guard. He cursed to himself for not finding a way to expose whatever secret they were keeping from everyone. Even if they weren't in Canterlot, he still saw them as a threat. He wouldn't be able to follow them, but the very first chance he got, he would reveal their true colors, and prove to everyone just how deceitful they were.



-------------------------------------------------------------



"Hey Chival."

"Yeah?"

"You never did tell us how Plexis got that scar."

"Oh...well, it's not that big of a deal, but he sure treats it like one."

"Why, what happened?" Kelly pressed.

"Griffon." Was all he said.

"A griffon did that to him?" Daniel chimed in.

"Yep, a couple of years back."

"It was during a meeting with one of the Griffon Ambassadors. We were discussing a territory dispute. The griffons were claiming that ponies had been using parts of their land to document creatures that do not inhabit Equestria. It was an outrage since not only were the accusations false, but it does not contradict the treaty to study foreign creatures on neighboring lands. Only when that land is being indefinitely occupied, or a secritive settlement is made by another race does it become illegal. Anyway, it had only been a month or so since Plexis had been fully initiated, and of course he was as enthusiastic as ever to come along to settle the dispute. In retrospect, I should've objected to him coming along, since Plexis didn't care for other species even before this incident. We met with the Ambassador at the Griffon Kingdom. I don't think you need me to tell you we weren't exactly honored guests."

"So you were there." said Kelly.

"I was."

"So what happened next?" Shining spoke up.

"I never even told you about this, Captain?" Shining shook his head. "Well, we met the ambassador, as well as a few of their guards to bring this matter to a civilized close. The griffons weren't going to have any of that though. Any time our own representative tried to get a word in edgewise, she was either interrupted, by the ambassador, snide remarks from the guards, or even direct insults from both parties. I myself wanted nothing more than to buck each one of'em; make them swallow their teeth, but I knew if I did that, then any hope for quick closure was lost. I could see Plexis visibly fuming from each demeaning word from the griffons, but I paid him no mind, thinking he had enough sense to stand down. Mistake of the century."

"He went for it." Shining commented. Chiva laughed.

"Oh, he didn't just go for it, he went after the ambassador himself. He almost had him too, but one of the griffon guards intervened just in time. Everything was downhill after that. We almost went to war because of his short temper, and attitude towards other species."

"And it was that fight where he got that scar?" Daniel asked.

"Yep, the griffon that stopped him from harming the ambassador caught him right above the eye; only made Plexis even angrier."

"And he's been a grouch ever since." Meta added.

"At least we won't have to worry about him back in Ponyville." Kelly spoke as he skimmed the pages of the shard's book. Moments after Chival had finished his story, the five guards had arrived to the station.

"We're here." They could hear the conductor from one of the cars.

"All aboard for Canterlot to Ponyville, I repeat all aboard for Canterlot to Ponyville. We will be leaving the station shortly."

"And not a moment too soon, c'mon, Daniel." Once they approached the steps, the boys turned to give what might have been their last farewell to the captain and their former teachers. "Thank you Chival, for everything."

"Don't mention it, it was an interesting experience training a human. You handle yourselves well."

"Thanks, Meta. It was fun kickin' your butt." Meta snickered.

"Ha, you remind me of me, you know that. Take care of yourselves, look out for each other." Daniel nodded.

"Safe travels you two, say hi to Twily and her friends for me when you get back."

"Sure thing."

"Oh, and you might want to put those away for now." Kelly and Daniel looked at the intimidating tools they were still carrying around.

"Oops." They said together, right before making their weapons dissipate. The magic act was met with some murmurs from the ponies boarding the train. The train whistle screeched, as the boys waved bye and found their seats. The train wasn't crowded, but there was a decent number of passengers. Kelly took a window seat, and his friend did the same, sitting across from him. Kelly was about to begin skimming through the old book again until something caught his eye. An dark coated mare with an even darker mane was making her way through the car; her lavender eyes searching for a place to sit. She was also carrying what looked like a cello case.

"Daniel, check it out, it's Octavia." At the mention of her name, Daniel immediately whipped around to scope her out. The cello case made it easy to find her. Among most of the background ponies, Octavia was one of Daniel's favorites. He would never say why, but Kelly assumed it was her taste for refined music that he liked so much. Much to his delight, she approached the humans with a gentle smile.

"Hello, gentlecolts. Might I ask is this seat taken?" Daniel smiled back, teeth and everything.

"It is not, ma'am."

"May I?"

"Of course, you can put your cello next to me, if you like." Kelly offered.

"Why thank you." Octavia placed her intrument in the seat next to Kelly's, and took her own seat next to Daniel's. The whistle sounded a few more times, before the familiar 'chug' of the train's acceleration could be heard. Octavia was clear to a topic.

"My name is Octavia, it's lovely to meet you both."

"Likewise, I'm Kelly."

"Name's Daniel, the pleasure is ours."

"So, you are the humans everypony's been talking about." Daniel chuckled.

"Yeah, apparently were famous all over Equestria."

"Well, I suppose being the only two of your kind, never seen by pony eyes will do that." Kelly looked up from his book.

"So, are you just visiting Ponyville?"

"Oh no, I live there with my friend, Vinyl."

"Vinyal Scratch?" Kelly already knew this, but he was getting pretty good at playing dumb.

"Yes, you know her?"

"We've seen her around town, and said hi. But when we had that party the night before the gala, she played some pretty great music."

"Oh, yes, she told me about that. I was away in Canterlot at the time with my ensemble. We were preparing for the gala. In fact now that I think about it, you two were there, were you not."

"We were." The events that followed the night of the gala induced a moment of silence. Kelly spoke up.

"Octavia, were you in town when..." The ash mare sighed.

"No, I was still in Canterlot. I was preparing to leave just that morning, when I noticed multiple guards heading towards Ponyville. Then...I saw the smoke." Octavia lowered her head. "I was beyond worried, and even frustrated when they told us that transport to Ponyville would be delayed until the situation was under control. A couple of hours later, we got word that the fires were intentional, but nopony was seriously injured. Once I was there, I ran as fast as I could to check on Vinyl. We share almost no similarities, but we've been friends for so long."

"I know that feeling." Kelly glanced at Daniel.

"Was your home okay?"

"There were minor damages, but it could've been much worse, Vinyal was okay as well. It was later that same day that I started hearing ponies talk about the newcomers who stayed to rival whoever caused the fires. I assume that was you two." Both humans felt sheepish.

"Yeah...it was nothing though." Daniel said modestly.

"I don't think it was nothing. I believe that was bravery, and I also believe that not alot of ponies I know would have done the same in your position. My friend, and our home was saved because of your deeds.

"It was the right thing to do." Kelly said matter of factly. Octavia gave a wry smile.

"Nonetheless, thank you, both of you."



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



"Hey guys, where's the fire?" Lyra called to the elements as they hurried towards the train station. The form of her question caused them to stop, and give her a cold stare. "Sorry, poor choice of words. What's the rush?"

"Danny, and Kelly belly are on their way back from Canterlot! Isn't that just so unbelievably, undeniably, unconditionally awesome?!" Pinkie zipped around crazily as she spoke.

"REALLY?! Bon Bon, I gotta..."

"Go ahead, they'll be happy to see you too." Bon Bon chuckled. Without another word, the elements plus one ecstatic unicorn galloped to the station. It was around four in the afternoon once the whistle could be heard approaching the stop. Kelly, Daniel, and Octavia were among the last to depart the car.

"Thanks for keeping us company on the ride back."

"Of course, if I see you two around, don't be strangers." She waved them off.

"Bye Octavi-OOF!" Kelly's farewell was cut short by Lyra. Daniel, was about to start laughing at his unfortunate friend, but not before Pinkie could do the same to him.

"Hey guys!" Lyra squeaked. Kelly groaned.

"Just like old times huh, Lyra?"

"Get offa me Pinkie." Daniel growled.

"Oopsy, sorry. Lyra did it so I thought I should too." Pinkie giggled. The rest of the ponies greeted them soon after.

"How was Canterlot? Did you get to see the Princess'?" Twilight questioned.

"It was good, not as good as Ponyville of course. Oh, and Twilight, Princess Celestia told me to give you this." He handed the book over.

"What is it?"

"Remember the letter she sent talking about a possible way to send us home, well this is that lead."

"Amazing, I don't have this book either, I must be slacking."

"What did y'all learn while you were there?" Daniel looked at Kelly, and grinned. Both boys held their hands out almost as if they were reaching for something. Raised brows surrounded them until two quick flashes of light danced around their hands, with their weapons visible, they both did a goofy pose trying to be as dramatic as possible. Mixed reactions followed. Some gawked in amazement, others snickered at their abnormal behaviour, but all were full of questions.

"How did you do that without magic?"

"Where did you get those?"

"Can I hold it?"

"When will this chapter be over?" Everyone looked at Pinkie, utterly confused.

"What do you mean chapter?" Dash said.

"You know, like a chapter in a book, only it's not really a book, it's more like a really really really really long peice of paper with words on it. Actually, it's not even paper, but it is white like paper, and instead of a pencil, the words come from this rectangle with letters on it. You know, I bet those letters get really tired of being pushed over and over and over, cause I know I would. Pushing other ponies isn't very nice...what was I talking about? Oh yeah!" Pinkie's rant continued, but the others had lost interest.

"It's good to see you boys."

"Good to see you too Rarity." Kelly replied, then looked to Fluttershy, who blushed upon eye contact. He happily walked over. "Hey Fluttershy, how have you been?" She didn't shrink back, but blushed a little more.

"Um...good, and you?"

"Well, Canterlot was fun and all, but I'd rather be down here with you guys." Fluttershy smiled.

"Those swords are...scary...but neat."

"Oh yeah, they were gifts from the Princess'. Aren't they sick?" Fluttershy was perplexed.

"Can swords get sick?"

"No, I mean sick as in awesome."

"Oh...well then...yes." Daniel hoof bumped dash, and went to talk with Applejack.

"Sup, AJ. How's the family?"

"They're doin' just fine. Applebloom won't stop goin' on about seein' ya though." Daniel chuckled.

"Looks like I'll have to make up that lost time once we get back to the farm." A moment of silence was broken as a beat could be heard from somewhere. The music was around everyone, but there was no real source for it. Pinkie began to sing.

"It's time to celebrate, and welcome our friends back. It's been too long since we've hung out, so lets get things back on track-c'mon EVERYPONY!" Daniel hung his head low, and sighed. Kelly gave no second thought in joining in on the random melody. Applejack snickered, and nudged Daniel.

"Welcome back, partner."