• Published 11th May 2015
  • 674 Views, 10 Comments

Ahuizotl's Price - Sapphire the Gem



Sonata and Aria are given a perilous price to pay for a little luck.

  • ...
1
 10
 674

Chapter 1

Dagi say's that we should never, ever, ever, hurt each other, but Dagi doesn't seem to know anything. She doesn't know about the scars on my chest. I don't think that she know's what Aria and I get up to in the attic these days.

She might know, but is afraid to tell. I think it happened to Dagi too.


Aria is always waking me up in the middle of the night. We have always been polar opposites, for instance, Aria doesn't sleep very much and I can "Sleep through the end of the world," (that's the way that Dagi put's it). Aria also eats enough for ten grown men, and I eat like a small bird. We're opposites, plain and simple. Sunset Shimmer, a girl at school, says that it happens with twins sometimes. One of them is one way and the other is completely different, and together they make one person.

I love Aria, but I don't love her as my twin sister. It's almost like we were supposed to be "One in the same thing," but we got split up inside of our mother and now we're two different people. It's like one of us shouldn't be alive. Like one of us shouldn't exist.

So in short Aria woke me up in the middle of the night and instead of going out side on the roof to play cards, like we always do, she looked deep into my eyes and spoke, "Someone is here, Sonata. I just know it."

"Someone's where?" I grumbled lazily, all wanted was to go back to sleep.

"In the attic," Aria replied

"How do you know?"

"I just, just, got a feeling that someone or something is up there."

Aria is always getting these feelings. Sometimes I think that her "feelings" are real, and others I think that she is just lying because she gets bored, and this world is dull as dirt.

"How do you know that someone is here Aria?" I asked her again, trying to get a real answer.

"I just know, okay! Why must you be such an idiot!"

"Well I wish I wasn't an idiot!" I retorted, "But everyone say's I am, so shut up!"

After that little argument, we went up stairs to the attic. Dagi keeps some old books up there, about Equestria, geography, and a few other things. Sometimes me and Aria will come up here and read these books. They're really hard for me to read, but I continue anyway. I like to do things that Dagi does, just to impress her. Ever since the Battle of the Bands, Dagi hadn't said very much, and all Aria could say about that is, "Thank Celestia almighty for that, why do you want another chatter box anyway?"

"There's no one up here Aria." I said as I tugged on her arm. I felt so uncomfortable, even though nothing seemed to be out of place. Just a bunch of dust, boxes, old clothes (from other centuries and decades), and Dagi's books. "Why are you always playing tricks on me?"

"This isn't a trick!" Aria growled, she looked like she was about to cry, "I know I heard something, I can feel it."

I knew that Aria probably wouldn't shut up about this until we do something, I sighed and muttered, "Okay, we'll look around." And we did, through all the boxes, dust, old clothes, out the window, on the roof, and even under the loose floor board (where we keep our broken pendents, until we can get them fixed). There was nothing. Nobody.

"I'm going back to bed scaredy-cat." I yawned.

"Wait!" Aria ordered, "There's one place that we haven't looked."

She was standing by a chest full of my old toys, the ones that I'm too big for now. She dug around in it, and pulled out a shinning silver box with letters written on it. I couldn't read them, because they were all worn out and corroded. It almost looked like something that humans keep cookies in. I had never seen anything like it before. It wasn't one of my toys. It must have been heavy, because, Aria dropped it and it hit her toe. "Ow!" she shrieked.

Then we heard it. "What are you brats doing up here? Why did you wake me? Why did you touch me? DON'T EVER TOUCH ME!"

"We should run!" I cried, but we were too scared, so we just stood there staring at the box. It was shaking on the floor, it started to spin, faster and faster, until the lid popped off. It stank at first, but then it smelled pretty good. I didn't know what was coming out of that old box, but it was dark and slimy like tar, but it was smooth and slow like molasses. It looked kinda like a big cat, and kinda not at all. I didn't like it.

"Hello there." It said smiling, I think it was smiling but it was hard to tell because it's face was made of blobs and cracks, "I apologize for yelling, but you startled me."

"Who the heck are you?" Aria growled. I wanted to slap her for being so stupid. We should have been running from the thing, not talking to it, Miss Smarty Pants. And they say I'm the stupid one.

"I have many names." It said calmly, "But I guess you can call me Mr. Luck, because that's what I want to give you."

"Good luck, or bad luck?" I asked it, I didn't want it around if it would have given us bad luck.

It just looked at me and blinked real slow, when it smiled I began to feel sick to my stomach, "Good luck of course." Aria crossed her arms. She thinks that she's so darn smart, she was just trying to be like Dagi.

"How much?" She snapped, "We don't have a lot of money, if that's what you want."

"I have no need for money." Luck assured Aria, "You just have to follow my instructions. They're quite simple really."

"What do you want us to do?" Aria shot back.

Luck blinked at Aria and smacked it's long dripping mouth, "I want you to hurt your sister."

Aria looked at me and then back at Luck, and then back again.

"What?!" I shrieked, "That's loco-in-the-cocoa! Aria, let's get out of here!"

"How much do I have to hurt her?" Aria said with a smirk, "And what will you give me for it?"

Luck thought about it for a moment, "We'll start out small." It decided, "A little hurt, for a little luck."

It only took Aria about ten seconds to decide, "I've got a math test tomorrow, and I haven't studied."

Luck smiled devilishly, "A slap should due for that."

Aria's eyes lit up with greed. "Hang on..." I tried to say, but Aria was quick. She wasted no time running over and slapping me across the face. It hurt, badly. I got really mad and smacked her back so hard that I knocked her to the floor.

"Oh," Luck snickered, "Oh oh oh." It started to shake, it became less slimy and was now more like a hole in the attic, where there should have been more boxes and stuff. Now there was just a dark whole that could be some kind of cat if you squint real hard. "That's good." Luck smirked, "Thank you ladies. Now go to bed and when you wake up tomorrow morning you should feel much better than you did today."

"So will I pass my math test tomorrow?" Aria demanded.

Luck looked deep into Aria's eyes and smiled, "You'll make a perfect score."

"What about Sonata?" She pressed, "She hurt me, so, doesn't that mean that she gets something too?"

"What a cleaver young lady." Luck said before he turned to face me, "What do you want Little Miss Sonata?"

I didn't know what, but something about this just didn't feel right. Aria had a red spot on her cheek, and my cheek is sore from where she had hit it, but I have a math test too, and I need even more help than Aria does.

It's always been like that. Idiot Sonata. Aria the smart one.

"Same here," I said quickly, "Math test. I want a perfect score too."

Luck smiles his mouth dripped a little, "Then you shall have it."