• Published 12th Nov 2011
  • 4,146 Views, 48 Comments

On Light Hooves I Tread - AdamThePony



A Human named Adam awakes from a Dream which takes him to Equestria

  • ...
5
 48
 4,146

Chapter 3: Magic is Science

On Light Hooves I Tread
a Fanfic by Adam J Nelon

Chapter 3: Magic is Science

The trip back from Cloudsdale was a thankfully smooth descent. To be frank, it was actually a bit too calm, to the point where it almost lulled me to sleep, but a light tap on the flank from Twilight Sparkle's hoof helped me jolt awake again.

“We're here, Haze. Sorry it took a little bit longer; I thought you'd need it to be a bit calmer, based on how tired you look.” She said, smiling with concern as she helped me to the door. “I'll have Spike get a cup of coffee ready.” I nodded, rubbing away of the mucus of sleep from my eyes as I let out an audible yawn.

As Coffee was being brewed (and I had asked for Mocha; my drink of choice), Spike yawned as well, smacking his reptilian maw.

“There. The coffee's done. I'm off to bed, Twi. You and Owlowiscious can hold down the fort while I'm asleep, right?” The violet Dragon asked, ascending the stairs, to where Twilight nodded, telling Spike good night as his image faded from view.

The coffee now for my drinking, Twilight and I engaged in small talk.

“So,” Twilight started, feeling a bit more keen to learn how I did today than I cared to ask about, “how was your crash course with Rainbow? She didn't push you too hard, did she?”

“No, she didn't...” I snapped back, shrinking a bit. “But she did push me off a cliff, so there's that.”

She pushed you off a cliff?! Is she crazy?!”

“I don't think she is...just a bit...unorthodox.”

“Still, I don't think it was in her right to push you off a cliff...”

I chuckled.

“Well, given the result, I'd say it was worth it.” I snickered.

“...What do you mean?”

“I flew after the third try.” I said, smirking.

“Wait. third try? What happened the first two tries?!

“I almost flew, and Rainbow caught me.”

“O...kay...weird. So what happened next?”

The conversation kept on a similar format for at least 10 minutes, where I essentially recounted all the misadventures I had during the day, Twilight gave varying degrees of interest and concern, but ultimately laughed it off.

“Well, looks like you got a lot out of today, didn't you?” She asked, giggling.

“Indeed, I did.” I quipped, smiling.

After that, a silence fell in the treehouse. Aside from the hoots of Owlowiscious, the lack of sound was deafening. That ringing from silence alone bounced about in my head for few minutes before I worked up the nerve to satisfy my curiosity.

“Hey, Twilight...?”

Yeah?

“Can you...teach me how Magic works in Equestria?”

Twilight's reaction was priceless. She beamed a smile, and kept muttering the word “Yes!” rapid-fire like a chain gun. It wasn't until I interrupted her that she stopped.


In a few moments, Twilight had walked me into a darkened room where a projector was shining onto a blank screen. From what little I gathered in the near-pitch black room, She was loading a reel into a slot, then clearing her throat as she laid a red button on the floor, levitating a pointer stick in front of the screen as she stamped on the button, advancing to the first slide, which depicted the three major pony races in a triangular fashion.

"Magic is a fundamental element in Equestria. It is present in all matter, both living and nonliving, and every Stallion, Mare, and Filly has, to some degree, a link to Magic. What this link is depends upon the Individual." Twilight began, her tone a firm, but calm voice. "Magic has a light side, a dark side, and it binds our world together."

Where had I heard that line before?

The next slide came into view, depicting an Earth Pony making lines in a soon-to-be crop.

"Magic affects us Ponies in different ways, but Race is among the most common deciders." Twilight explained, pointing to the soil on the image.

"Earth Ponies, hence their name, have a natural connection to nature, and all that nature contains. Magic for them comes in the form of cultivating crops, managing livestock and animals, and many terrestrial acts."

She then advanced to a slide of an Armored Pony pushing a boulder, with an image next to it of an Earth Pony having a bit of trouble figuring an arithmetic problem.

"Because of this, Earth Ponies tend to have great strength and stamina, but in terms of wit, they are nothing special."

The next slide had an a circle of Earth Ponies bearing garbs made of leaves, some holding staffs, dancing about a fire.

"In ancient Equestria, it was said that some Earth Ponies aspired to becoming Druids, using their oneness with nature to protect them from harm."

The next slide depicted a Pegasus in Flight. Twilight pointed to the Pegasus, and continued her lecture.

"Pegasi use their wings to take command of the air, and their magical link enables them to manipulate clouds, moisture, and climate. In short, Pegasi, like you, have the ability to control weather itself." She began, pointing the stick as she clicked to an image of a Pegasus manipulating clouds to become thunderstorms, then proceeding to switch to an image of a Pegasus with a mach cone (that is, the cone that forms around something nearing supersonic speed) enveloping it, the image flanked by an injured pegasus with bandages about her wings.

"Pegasi are amoung the most dextrous of ponies, being able to reach speeds impossible by other ponies, but their slimmer frames are more likely to suffer injury due to the lighter bone structure."

The next slide came, showing a group of Ponies with smoke streaks behind them, bearing armor.

"In earlier wars of Equestria, before a true time of peace came, Pegasi typically performed reconnaissance and aerial combat missions during skirmishes. Fliers today, however, typically are stunt ponies or athletes."

The next picture came, this time of a Unicorn bearing a flowing robe, decorated with stars galore.

"Unicorns are among the most Magically-endowed ponies in Equestria. They are the only race that can directly manipulate the fields of magic around us." She noted, pulling up a picture of a Unicorn's horn illuminated.

"Manipulation of such fields are shown as the horn starts to glow." She explained, pointing the stick.

"Unicorns have a myriad of Magical Abilities, Haze. Although, some have more than others. It is mainly based on the talent(s) represented by their cutie mark."

Twilight then pointed the pointer at her flank, which bore a star surrounded by twinkling sparkles.

"For example; My Cutie mark has a sparkling star, which I earned through much studying. Then we have Rarity, who has a mark of three diamonds, which signifies her capabilities of seamstress work, as well as working with rare gems."

I held a hoof up in the air. A question had formed in my head: What all was there into Cutie Mark? But, I stowed the question to give a more relevant on in my head:

"How do Zebras factor into this?"

Twilight smiled, and went to the next slide, which showed a Zebra in the middle of Alchemy.

"Zebras, while not essentially pony-folk, have a unique way of harnessing magic, through the advents of Alchemy, and if stories that Zecora has told me, Shamanism."

"Shamanism?"

"Yes. In Zecora's culture, Celestia and Luna are among several spirits which they revere and call upon...these spirits are said to be called through rituals and spells that they cast."

"Interesting...Maybe we could visit her?"

Twilight held a hoof to her chin in thought.

"Perhaps tomorrow." She said, shutting off the projector. "Meanwhile, do you have any questions?"

That was my cue. I decided to ask the question that was previously in my head:

"What can you tell me about Cutie Marks?" I asked, confident she'd help me understand.

She stood dumbfounded for a few moments, mouthing the words I asked, then snapped back to reality.

"Why would you want to know about- OH! That's right; I forgot you have amnesia...and you're a...he he....blank flank."

"Pardon?"

"Oh, it's just a term some ponies use to refer to somepony who doesn't have their cutie mark yet...it's usually used by children as an insult."

I nodded as she searched through a shelf-full of reels, then proceeding to load a new reel into the projector. As she turned it back on, there was now a silhouette of a foal curled in a basket.

"Upon birth, Everypony has a blank flank. One's Cutie Mark can be earned as an infant, but it's so rare, no recorded cases exist to this day." She began pointing out he foal's mark-less flank. "Everypony owns their mark at some point, usually when they either find the talent they were born to accomplish, accomplish a major life's dream, or train themselves to become adept at a task. Some ponies change their name to fit their cutie mark, but only if the mark itself is not indicative to their original name."

I nodded, committing this to memory.

"For many Ponies, the theme, style, or motif of the mark is based upon their family. The premiere example of this is the Apple Family. All of them are named after, and in most of the family (not counting Apple Bloom), they have Cutie Marks of the different types of Apples and Apple-based dishes."

As she explained further, the Zebras came back to my mind. "Do Zebras have Cutie Marks?"

Twilight smiled and advanced to a Slide of a Zebra against a cavern wall embedded in strange glyphs. "Technically, they do, but they aren't pictures or symbols like normal ponies. Rather, they are Glyphs translatable by only Zebrakind. If we Visit Zecora tomorrow, I may ask on translations."

The purple unicorn magi then cut a thunderous yawn, shutting the projector off. "Now, then...I'm getting sleepy. Shall we head to bed?"

I nodded, yawning a few moments later as we stole away for the bedroom, and we fell asleep in separate beds.


Tonight's dream was, as usual, relevant to the subject of the evening. However, the beginning of the dream placed me at the center of a dark and looming forest. I could make out several shadows, and glaring red eyeballs were shifting about the shrubbery of the forest as I walked blindly. As I looked about, I saw a dim, flickering light, and smelled an eldritch brew being made, and following it, I was greeted by a deep, feminine voice.

"Ah, of all things in this forest to meet. A kind stranger, that I may be pleasured to greet?" It asked.

"Huh? Who are you? Show yourself!" I called back.

Coming out from the brush, a Zebra clad in gold bangles and earrings emerged. "Ah, calm yourself, friend; I mean no Harm. My name is Zecora, and I am quite charmed. I speak no lies; only what is true. Now, may I ask for a name from you?"

Taking Zecora's advice, I calmed myself and smiled. "My name is Morning Haze. I'm a Pegasus from Cloudsdale."

"Ah, Cloudsdale. That is the city of the sky? From what I hear, that place is quite high."

I smiled further, chuckling at the Zebra's inherent gift in speaking in iambic pentameter (that is, speaking entirely in rhyme). Zecora then turned away, her head craned to me.

"Come, Haze; Let us take a walk. As we make for my hut, we shall talk."

I nodded, walking with her.

"So, could you tell me more about yourself?" I asked, as we made the start of our journey.

"Ah, a tale is what you seek! Very well, then; allow me to speak. I am a soothsayer, a shaman by trade. With this, much a fortune, I have made. I come from lands quite distant, and when I wanted to make my own pilgrimage, I was quite hesitant. When I reached Ponyville, much was amiss, and somepony saw fit to call me an 'Evil Enchantress'. So, hoping I would not be missed, I stole away in this; the Everfree Forest. But, one day, a Pony came upon my room. I remember her well; her name was Apple Bloom. The little pony found good in my heart, and considering my lack of friends, it was a good start. Then, soon, her friends had come for her, and I had warned them of their impending danger. A strange fate befell the pony-folk, as they had waded through a field of Poison Joke. 'Tis a blue herb, with a smell not rank. But, those who touch it fall victim to a prank.

Twilight's horn became rubber, Rarity's mane had become flustered. Pinkie Pie's Tongue had swollen, and Apple Jack had shrunken. Rainbow Dash's ability to fly had hailed, and Fluttershy...gained the voice of a male.

Then, just when I thought it wouldn't get worse, they all blamed me for what they thought was a curse! None of this sounded quite right, so I decided to bring the truth to light.. When to them the truth I had assured, I made sure to have them cured."

I nodded, smiling, to which Zecora smiled back.

"Since then, we have been the best of friends, and I hope to the grave that it never ends."

After the trek had reached its end, Zecora turned to me, then to the sky, noting the rising sun. "The time to awake has come, it seems. I hope that we may meet again, outside of this dream."


The morning that came did not come with any form of subtlety...I heard explosions and smelt gunpowder!

BANG!

Vhrooooom!

Phew!

TATATATATTATATATATATATATATATATATATA

What was all that noise?!

I and Twilight were awake, Twilight noticeably much more angry about the rude awakening than I was.

"Oh, dear Celestia, don't tell me she's back..." Twilight groaned, washing her face.

"She?"

"Trixie. Or, as she prefers to call herself, The Great and Powerful Trixie. She was a unicorn that showed up a long time ago, showing off her magic tricks to Ponyville. She had a huge ego, and kept boasting that she defeated an Ursa Major with her magic. But, when Snips and Snails, two of her fanboys, brought an Ursa Minor into town, her true colors showed, and she told the truth, then turned tail and ran. I hadn't seen her in months, but it looks like she's back...Come on; we'll have Breakfast later. I just need to see what Trixie has up her sleeve THIS time."

I nodded, and we went outside.


"Rejoice, my little Ponies! For now, The Great and Powerful Trrrrrrrixie has returned! And now, Trixie has learned all sorts of amazing feats of magic, which she shall show to you in ALL OF THEIR GLORY!" Shouted a loud blue unicorn bearing a star-studded cap and cape, posing as several fireworks exploded. A small crowd had been amassed in the area by the time Twilight and I made the scene. Many were still awed, but some were offended, even booing her and throwing rubbish.

"Get off the stage, ya show off!" A stallion unicorn bearing a red coat and white mane, firing a tomato at the Boastful Unicorn. But, as her horn glowed, showering her cap in a blue aura, the tomato was sent in the reverse of its path, impaling it upon the horn of the protestor.

"Ha! You dare to sully the beauty of Trixie! And now, you have been sullied!"

"Jeez...what is her problem?!" I whispered to Twilight under my breath.

"She's a real braggart...just let her finish her show, then we'll confront her."


And so we allowed Trixie to boast to her heart's content, much to the annoyance of several bystanders who were going about their morning business. The large stage that had once proudly displayed the braggart had been collapsed into a small wagon, indicating that she was done for the time being. A perfect opportunity to contact her.

After a few knocks from Twilight, and the door opened to the blue Unicorn.

"Who dares disturb The Great and Powerful-Oh...it's you..." Trixie shouted, her voice sinking in disgust as she noticed Twilight.

"Yes...it's me, Trixie."

"And what do you want with Trixie?"

"I came to make amends." Twilight noted.

"I see...come to try to lick Trixie's wounds after you so unceremoniously cut into her? Trixie does not believe you!"

Twilight hung her head, and huddled with me.

"She's still stubborn as ever. I can't get through to her!"

"I think I have an idea..." I said, walking to Trixie in a collected manner.

"And who are you?" Trixie questioned, cocking an eyebrow.

"A friend of Twilight's...one who wishes to help you redeem yourself."

Trixie was momentarily taken aback by my sudden suggestion.

"A pony such as you would want to redeem Trixie?! But how?"

Jackpot. It was time to get honest.

"Well, first, let me start by saying that your magic isn't the same as Twilight's magic..."

"How so?"

"Well, your magic is more about slight of hoof and prestidigitation. Twilight's, however, is functional. Magic that can affect the world around us."

"So...Trixie's magic is more to entertain?"

I nodded. "So, rather than exaggerating your capabilities to saying you can defeat monsters...I have an idea that will surely net you a quite a more positive audience..."

"Trixie is all ears. Where shall we begin?"


"Are you sure Trixie will be safe? This contraption looks quite dangerous..." Trixie quivered, levitating two chains around her neck in a certain fashion.

"For once, I agree with Trixie; This can't possibly be safe!" Twilight pleaded.

I chuckled to the both of them and smiled. "Trust me; as long as she does it correctly, she'll be okay."

The trick I had Trixie prepare was something I had been shown on TV before. It was a simple chain trick, where through slight of hoof, it appeared the two chains would decapitate whoever was between them. However, through a simple jerking of the neck, it would look like Trixie had phased through the chain, leaving her with not even a scratch on her. Trixie gave me a look, began sweating coldly, swallowed a knot in her throat, and nodded as the curtain drew up from the raised platform.

"Remember. Like we rehearsed!" I shouted, before my calls were drowned by the clopping of applause.

Trixie put on her best brave face and began to look proud as ever as she eyed up the much more eager masses this time around. Prior to the rehearsal, I planted a seed of gossip about Trixie doing a brand new show with a series of illusions rather than tall tales. Some ponies were skeptic, but they came to the show to see if I was going to make good on my promises I had made.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts!" Trixie began, in that familiar boisterous tone everypony was so keen on knowing, "Today, The Great and Powerful Trixie comes to you with illustrious illusions and perilous prestidigitation, the likes of which have never been seen before PONY EYES!"

With this, rather than the multitude of fireworks shooting in the air, instead, fire flew from the edge of stage, prompting cheers from the crowd.

"For her first trick, Trixie has sought the help of two assistants: Fellow Unicorn and Ponyville's Prodigy, Twilight Sparkle, and her friend, Morning Haze! Give my friends the applause they deserve!"

With this prompt, applause was directed squarely at us, and naturally, as the quiet and intellectual types as we were, we blushed madly. It is with this I must note something. For the reason of safety, I had made sure Trixie had stripped herself of all but her iconic hat for safety reasons. If there was one thing I always remembered about capes, it was that more than one superhero(ine) or magician died in their use, and the last thing I'd want to happen were for Trixie to get caught in the chains and risk serious injury.

"For this trick, Trrrrrrrixie will escape from this pair of chains with only but a swift movement! Her two assistants shall tug upon these chains, and she will either escape to glory, or lose her head. Literally!"

A prolonged gasp hit the crowd as a dramatic operatic built the suspense... Trixie gave the both of us a nod as we bit deeper into the chains, and in a motion that symbolized a countdown began. Within three steps forward and back, we both simultaneously yanked upon the chains, Trixie banging her head, her neck almost seeming to melt through the chain. Of course, to anypony who actually knew the trick, they'd know the chains were not really around Trixie's neck. They were in a simple knot that looked like they were around Trixie, and capable of undoing itself from the tug. The motion Trixie did was mainly for effect. Nonetheless, it made a gasp go through the crowd, followed by a cheer from most of the crowd. Some unicorn pony was in the crowd. I couldn't make it out well enough, but it was a big one, with long strands of brunette hair. Something about his look definitely screamed "Upper Crust". I could make out a grimace. Two words came to mind: Stuck. Up.


Throughout the rest of the show, the three of us enjoyed pandering to the audience with carefully orchestrated illusions and tricks. Thanks to her loud-mouthed nature being placed in a more appropriate situation, Trixie was garnering quite the more positive reaction this time around, and by the end, rather than being pelted with rotten tomatoes, she was being pelted with flowers and confetti. Once the show was over, the large stage once again collapsed into the small shelter Trixie used to rest.

"Once again, Trix-, I mean...once again, I'd like to thank you, Morning Haze. And you, too, Twilight. I thought it was all over for me. Ever since what happened so long ago, I thought that nopony would watch my shows anymore. Then you came along, asking forgiveness, and gave me my second chance, and it worked! But it leaves me to ask..why did you?" Trixie asked, looking to me.

I smiled and said in a calm voice, "It's just in my nature."

Twilight smiled at me. "Well, your nature is a noble one, Haze. I'm sure if the Princess saw this, she'd be more than pleased."


WIth this, the both of us escorted ourselves out and retired to the library for lunch. A simple sandwich and tea was what we consumed, sharing praises of our compilation with Trixie. Then, I remembered that we were to visit Zecora soon, as well. So, I began to wonder.

"So, what do you know about Zecora?" I asked Twilight.

"Well...I know for one, she's a Zebra. She comes from outside Equestria and is a renowned alchemist. She's known to have remedies and cures for just about anything, be it a chipped tooth or Poison Joke!"

"Poison Joke?"

"Oh, it's a flower that, if you come into contact with it, it plays some kind of physical joke on you. In my case, my horn got all floppy."

I stifled a chuckle.

"She may seem a bit strange, but she's a got a good nature. When you need somepony to talk to, she's there. When you're hurt and need a fix up, she's there. She's a kind Zebra, and despite her being a bit odd."

When I saw her, she was in some forest...can you tell me about that?

"That's the Everfree Forest. It's outside of Equestria, but few ponies ever go into it. Mainly due to there being tons of monsters in there. Plus, aside from Zecora, it's generally pretty full of dark energy...though, so long as you stick to the path, you're usually fine."

I nodded, taking note.

"Usually, I rarely go there, only to see Zecora. But, even then, I always try to find somepony to go with[i/]. And, now that I have somepony, we can go there. I just need to pack a few supplies, and we're off."

I smiled, getting up as we gathered a few things and stuffed them into saddlebags. When Twilight saw I didn't have one, she frowned.

"Don't tell me you don't have a pair of saddlebags?"

I blushed, chuckling as I shook my head.

"That's a shame. Next time you see Rarity, try and get one made. Or, at the very least, bum one off the girls until you can get one."

I nodded as we made for our journey into the Everfree.


Our journey was fairly uneventful, aside from a few jump scares. Thankfully, none of the nastier beasts were out in the Everfree this afternoon, which helped us make it to Zecora's hut. As Twilight rapped at the door, the Mohawk wearing Zebra opened the door with a smile.

"Ah, of all the things that my luck could send! It is Twilight Sparkle and her Friend! Come inside now where I dwell; I'm sure you have quite the story to tell."

With this, Zecora invited us in, and we enjoyed tea. Zecora was mixing potions, speaking in a tongue which resembled Swahili, but I couldn't translate. She looked at me for a moment, noting my curiosity.

"Perhaps you have the notion to help me make potions? You should help me in my motions!" She said, dragging me to her.

"First we take these herbs and pound them to dust. For them to mix into this brew, it is a must."

I nodded, putting a series of colored herbs into a series of pots, using my hooves the grind them into a fine powder.

"Next, we take the powders and and together stir, then into warm water, they must simmer."

Zecora aided me in putting the three powders into a single bowl, mixing them until their colors blended together. After that, she took the bowl from me, playing it into a cauldron full of hot water.

"At simmers, we begin to wait. We want it not to finish early or late."

And so we waited for the process of the brew to finish, and eventually, Zecora took a ladle and poured the drink into a flask, corking it.

"Here, Haze, take this. In case your body feels amiss. For when many injuries occur, drink this brew, and you shall recover. Your wounds shall all be mended, and with the special herb, your life shall be extended."

I smiled, thanking her kindly as I kept it nearby.

We kept on a conversation for a little while, and as we began to leave, Zecora stopped me.

"If in the art of Potions, you need further practice, please come back, and I shall make you my apprentice. In this trades, I can teach many tricks, and soon you may master this unique magic."

I smiled. "Thank you, Zecora; I'll keep that in mind."


As we began to head home, We ended up bumping into nopony else but Pinkie Pie! She seemed rather ecstatic as she started bouncing around us.

"Oh! Hey, Pinkie! What's up?"

"Oh, nothing! Just that I'm going to a family get-together, and I get to bring one friend with me! You wanna come? Do ya, Twilight? Do ya, do ya?!"

Twilight as taken aback, but answered pertinently.

"I'm sorry, Pinkie; I can't. I have to do inventory tomorrow."

Pinkie frowned a moment.

"Aw, but I really wanted somepony to-wait! How about you, Haze?!"

I was the one now taken aback, but I smiled and nodded.

"Sure! I'd love to! After all, I've always wanted to meet your family!"

"Great! We can sleep over and everything! Come on!

Before I could negotiate, I was dragged back to Sugar Cube Corner, my hooves scraping against the dirt.

Deja-vu...this happened before, didn't it?