• Published 11th May 2015
  • 2,114 Views, 200 Comments

Myths and Birthrights: Anthologiae - Tundara



Anthology containing stories set in various periods of Ioka from Myths and Birthrights.

  • ...
5
 200
 2,114

Ambrosia

Ambrosia
By Tundara


Soarin paced back and forth in front of the small door. His wings hung low and jittered with a need to act, but with no idea what that action should entail. Every few minutes Applejack’s screams came tearing through the walls, often accompanied by a litany of curses so vile and heated that it left his ears burning.

To keep from worrying, or wearing a hole in the floor with his pacing, he took to staring out the window on the gorgeous mid-february day shining over the orchard. Snow clung to the branches of the apple trees, heaving hills of white stretching off to the pines of the Everfree Forest. Birds sat in the boughs of the nearest tree, a great old elm planted by Granny Smith when she’d be a filly. They should have been hundreds of leagues away along the edges of the badlands where winter was not spread. A rolling hymn-like song flowed from the swifts, robins, shrikes, and single kingfisher. It was so peaceful, with an almost divine air, in sharp contrast to the mood in the farmhouse.

He chewed on his lower lip a little, and not for the first time since Applejack had gone into labour, he pushed his head just a tiny bit through the door.

On the other side was a large room, whose size was belied by the closely packed ponies within. Despite having removed a cabinet and dresser, leaving only a couple small tables to hold the various towels and bowls of water, it was barely better than standing room only. There the priestesses, nurses, the doctor, a midwife, and goddesses all jostled over the limited space around the bed he and Applejack shared.

High Priestesses River Sparkle and Blessed Harmony conferred in low voices, both watching as their respective deity hovered near the bed at the center of attention. Between Iridia and Faust stood Celestia, her hoof extended to comfort Applejack. Around these five Mrs. Swaddling and Doctor Crown had to maneuver. Meanwhile, the two nurses attempting to help the medicos were shoved up against the walls.

Unhappily, his intrusion came at just the moment Doctor Crown and Mrs. Swaddling shouted in unison, “Out! Out! The lot of you, out!”

“What, even me?” Iridia pressed an indignant hoof to her chest. “I am the goddess of—”

Fixing the much larger mare with a fiery glare, the plump Mrs. Swaddling said, “Ma’am, I don’t give a damn. You take up as much space as two ponies and got no rights to be here. If there be some demon to conk on the horn we’ll get you, make no fuss about that. But you don’t be needed for foaling.”

Mrs. Swaddling shoved up against the trio of goddesses, pushing them from the room with the force of her righteous conviction, and right over top of Soarin. He had to quick step back into Big Mac’s room to avoid being trampled.

Behind the alicorns came their priestesses, River and Blessed more amused than put-out by the turn of events. Celestia had to scrunch herself down to fit through the low ceiling corridor, and even Iridia and Faust could not stand straight.

Between the goddesses Soarin caught only a brief glimpse of Applejack before the door was slammed shut.

Eager for any news of his wife, Soarin decided to follow the royals down to the living room, where they joined Granny Smith, Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and a guard by the name of Flash Sentry.

The guard kept to himself, his entire being focused outward, ears at attention and wings half-extended to react to the first sign of any threat. Another dozen such guards were positioned around the farmhouse, with more in the town. Why so many guards were required had yet to be explained to Soarin. From his time in the army, Soarin knew that there was a reason, and that he’d be told if he needed to know, and no sooner.

Still, it rankled, and pierced him deeper than he would have before suspected. Everypony was keeping secrets, even Applejack.

He couldn’t shake the ominous dread that something was wrong with his daughter. Why else would the Queen and princesses barge in on the birth? Or, was it just because it wasn’t yet foaling season? Applejack conceiving a month early was unusual, and a small part of Soarin wondered if she’d lied to him. The timing did fit Applejack’s version of events, their daughter conceived at the Gala of the Stars celebrating Princess Twilight’s ascension.

But, no matter how often Applejack assured Soarin that he was the father, a tiny part of him worried.

Mouth dry, Soarin sat down next to Big Mac.

“Here,” the giant farmer said offering Soarin a flask filled with strong apple cider.

Muttering thanks, Soarin took a long swig.

Summoning various benches and settees, the royals made themselves comfortable.

“Got kicked out, did’ja,” Granny Smith noted, not looking up from the foal-jumper she was knitting. “Warned you that Swaddling weren’t some fresh faced filly off the train to be pushed around even by the likes of you lot. She’ll see Jackie through this, don’t’cha be fretting.”

“Lady Apple will be fine, of that there is no doubt,” Faust gave a wide grin and plucked up a glass of provided apple juice. “But, it’s imperative the fostering be done as soon as possible before the filly’s power asserts itself. The longer that passes, the weaker the enchantment’s hold. Ideally, no more than a day—two at the most—should be allowed before the ritual is performed.”

“Foster? Ritual?” Soarin looked up.

This was the first he was hearing about any pony being fostered. Didn’t they trust him and Applejack to raise their own foal? And what was all this about rituals?

“What are you talking about?”

Faust blinked a couple times, then struck a hoof to her head. “Of course, she didn’t tell you. Applejack needs to stop avoiding emotional confrontations.”

Taking up from her mother, Celestia explained. “Your daughter is special. Not in the usual ways all foals are special to their parents, or even for her mother being an Element of Harmony—”

“Though that certainly would be a factor, without the present circumstances,” Faust quipped.

“—but because she is—”

“The once and future goddess of Agriculture and the earth,” Iridia finished, and Celestia rolled her eyes at the interruptions.

Soarin blinked, and looked between the queens and princess waiting for one of them to indicate they were joking. When it was apparent they were earnest, he asked, “You mean, she is a…?”

“Alicorn, yes.” Iridia inclined her head in a slight bow, then frowned, and said, “Applejack did not tell you that either, I gather. For being the Element of Honesty, that mare sure loves to keep secrets.”

“She simply wishes to avoid hurting anypony, and so she attempts to a steer clear of confrontation.” Faust shrugged.

“You are going to take her away,” Soarin concluded, growing rigid with anger.

If not for Big Mac laying a huge hoof on his shoulder, or the fact each alicorn was over twice his size, Soarin would have started to shout warnings about what would happen to any pony who tried to lay a hoof on his daughter. As it was, Soarin vibrated in his seat.

His anger was misplaced. Faust giggled, and Celestia shook her head.

“There is no need for that. Fostering in this instance means we’ll use a spell to repress her divine nature until she comes of age. Just as was done to Twilight, Cadence, Luna, and myself.”

“So, which would you prefer? Earth, pegasus, or unicorn?”

“Wait, unicorn?” Soarin tilted his head. “Why would… No, nevermind. Why not none? Just let her be herself?”

“Then she can not remain with you.” Faust spoke with absolute certainty. “If left un-fostered, it will take her, roughly, a hundred and twenty years to discover her domain. In that time there will be three attempts to foal-nap her by cults thinking to follow in Sombra’s hoofsteps and syphon off her immortality. After the third attempt, it will be decided to send her to Gaea, where a religious war will be sparked between the surviving factions of Demeter’s followers.”

“Y-You are kidding, right?”

Giving Saorin an amused smirk, Faust said, “Mostly. The vast majority of possibilities within the Weave are filled with difficulties. Not cultists, true. Rather, she will remain a filly as you and Applejack grow old and pass away. Not just you, but cousins, their foals, and their foals’ foals. Ioka made the Fostering pact with my sister and I for different reasons. However, it serves an excellent purpose here. Just, be sure to tell her the truth before the mountains are awakened. It is on the lower spectrum of possibilities I’ve foreseen, but if the mountains cross the Heartlands and enter the ocean, then all the disc is in peril, and you will never see your daughter again.”

Faust’s eyes glowed gold as she touched the Weave, peering down the strands, seeing how they could intertwine, and catching glimpses of what may come to pass.

“The Canterhorn rises, and the great city on her back is sloughed off like an unwanted saddle. Each step is an earthquake, every breath a sorocco, and her dozen eyes burning windows to the pits of Tartarus. She towers above all, titan to titans, the unstoppable juggernaut of a new era, drawn by the screams echoing in her volcanic heart. Dragons tremble as a mouse in the shadow of a lion at her passing. Her sisters wake at her approach. Seven mountains, seven sisters; all guided by a terrible purpose. Cities crumble in their passage, and their roars silence even the stars. Ioka bellows in pain; then all is silence.”

“Mother, can’t you have a happy prophecy for once?” Celestia sighed, shaking her head.

“If you think these are bad, you should hear the ones if Zephyr is with her.”

Overwhelmed, and more than a little frightened for Applejack, his daughter, and for Equestria, Soarin rocked back in his chair.

For not the first time, Soarin wondered why he had to fall in love with Applejack. She drove him crazy, and not just because of her little quirks. Every time she was called away in the service of Equestria, Soarin worried that it would be the last time he’d see her, hold her, get to softly whisper her name and smell the apple fragrance of her mane as they lay together. Two years they’d been together. Two years, and he’d lost track of the number of times she’d been called on to protect Ponyville, Equestria, or the disc.

As he twisted in his thoughts, a long, shrill scream came from upstairs.

Soarin was on his hooves at once and half-way to the stairs when he was called back.

“She is fine,” Iridia said, only to be undercut by another scream.

He bounded the rest of the way up the stairs in two leaps, wings propelling him towards the bedroom with breakneck speed. There was no hesitation as he reached the door. It was flung open just in time for the first cries of his daughter. The next several minutes were a wonderful, and frightening, haze.

Vaguely he recalled Mrs. Swaddling speaking, trying to cut through the great deal of noise and activity, then the first, tiny cries of his daughter.

A brilliantly warm glow filled him, more so when Applejack looked up and met his eyes. She was tired, haggard, and crying with happiness.

Hooves barely touched the floor as he went to her side, a wingtip brushing back disheveled strands of her mane. Next to Applejack, a tiny ruddy orange filly wrapped in white cloth was placed. A lock of shocking red mane poked around a small horn, and big, emerald eyes gazed lovingly up.

All the talk of spells and prophecies fell to the wayside. Right then, all Soarin could see was his beautiful wife, and their precious little filly.

“Ambrosia Ceres Apple,” Applejack muttered, exhaustion heavy in her voice.

Soarin’s voice cracked as he nuzzled his wife, and said, “Our little Apple.”

Author's Note:

This is one of many little stories that I've worked on here and there for the past couple of years. Loaded it up a couple days ago, and was surprised at how close to finished it was. You can see where I'd be ruminating on various topics brought up by comments and chapters in the main story, Fostering, prophecies, and so-on.

A simple Slice of Life story about AJ and Soarin.

Apologies if the quality is a little low, it is unedited.