• Published 11th May 2015
  • 2,120 Views, 200 Comments

Myths and Birthrights: Anthologiae - Tundara



Anthology containing stories set in various periods of Ioka from Myths and Birthrights.

  • ...
5
 200
 2,120

Justice

Justice
By Tundara


Tyr was incensed. Her hooves crashed down with every step. Tension, carried from rigid wings through her neck to the base of her jaw in pulsing steel bands, threatened to snap at the slightest provocation. Pages and guards alike dodged out of her path, shying away from her searing gaze.

Backing out of Princess Celestia’s office, Chronicle was the first to attempt to check her advance.

The old seneschal held up a hoof. The words, “Princess Tyr, if you wish to speak with Her Highness, perhaps tomorrow would be better,” bounced off her, and she swept past him, hurling the doors open with a frame shattering bang.

“Why?!” Tyr shouted, her voice rattling the windows and rustling the closer tapestries.

Princess Celestia did not so much as bat an eye or look up from the work before her. Her quill swished across the scroll, she took a sip of the wine at her side, and then, when Tyr verged on another outburst, finally said, “I did what was necessary.”

Anticipating the response, indeed, it would have been shocking if Celestia had given anything encroaching on a denial, Tyr stomped her way up to the large chair set in front of the desk. The chair, oversized for most any other pony, was plush and hugged Tyr’s long legs. It also meant that her arrival was equally anticipated.

“Why?” She asked again, this time with only a little of the angry magma coiling through her veins to give the question a slight hissing heat.

“It is very simple; your ruling was incorrect.”

“Incorrect?” Snarled Tyr, her wings thrusting out of their own accord. “You were not there in Ponyville to know one way or the other.”

Celestia dipped her head, just a little, into a nod. “You are correct, I was not in Ponyville. Had I been, I would have made the same decision I did today. With all the evidence presented, all the testimonies given, each pony taking their chance to speak; there could be no other outcome.”

“But… Why? Why are you letting him get away with it? What he did was wrong! What Filthy Rich did to those ponies was despicable.”

“In that we are in agreement,” Celestia sighed, letting the weight of the admission fill the large office. She poured herself a fresh glass of wine, and one for Tyr.

Snatched up in her crackling aura, Tyr glared at the glass. She didn’t care much for wine. It reminded her too much of her old home. Placing the wine aside, she dared not hold it long lest her anger shattered the glass, she plunged ahead.

“I don’t understand. If you agree with me, then why let him get away with it? He ruined their lives!”

“But, he did not do anything illegal.” Celestia put extra emphasis on the final word, drawing it out into almost a slur. “There will be repercussions for Mr. Rich and his business associates, make no mistake, but in a legal manner.”

Tyr snarled and thrashed in her chair. The magic hardened adamantite frame groaned beneath her simmering fury. “So, the poor ponies get no justice then? Instead, you sneak and slither as always, and snub his next business deal or land acquisition? That is not Justice! He needed to be dragged into the light and punished. Not, patted on the head and told what a good little stallion he was for being so sick and wicked.”

Tutting, Celestia gave a disapproving frown. “That is a bit harsh, Tyr. Mr. Rich has his flaws, and—”

“Flaws?” Tyr leapt up, her voice reaching it’s original heights. She began to pace, the need to move outweighing any sense of formality, even in this place, even in front of Celestia. She burned with a need to act, to enact Justice.

A primal necessity flared through bone and sinew, commanding that she find Filthy Rich and meet out his deserved punishment. Only then would the burning abate, the droning pleas that filled her ears fade, and she’d know peace.

Instead, she growled, ground her teeth, and continued to pace.

“It isn’t just a flaw to turf orphans out of their home. It is sick,” she spat the words out of the corner of her mouth. “He knew what he was doing. The pain and suffering his actions would bring, and he felt nothing. No, worse, he was happy!

“Happy about all the fresh bits that would fill his coffers. Never mind that he was tearing a family apart. Those fillies and colts, their caretakers, they were a family as true as any acquired through the happenstance of birth; and he was the prime actor in wrenching that family to pieces. They fought him and his cronies. Did everything they could, and came so close to saving their family. They had the money! But, he tore them asunder regardless. With a laugh! The land worth more than their orphanage could give.”

A long sigh rattled from Celestia and she stood to join Tyr. Placing a tender wing across the smaller alicorn’s back, she said in a comforting tone, “They were placed in new homes, some foster, a coulpe adopted, and the rest in other orphanages. As the law proscribed. To the letter, as a matter of fact.” Tyr stiffened, and a flash of crimson rage tinted the corners of her eyes. “I’ve seen to it that they will all find their new homes to be more than comfortable,” Celestia attempted to assuage, but only seemed to stoke the flame in Tyr’s breast further.

Her own gut twisted at her words. In an age past, it very well could have been her on the other side of the desk, spitting fire and accusations, burning with a righteous wrath. Time and experience had long since tempered such foolish notions as there being fairness in governance. Whenever she encountered such flaws and failures, Celestia did her best to correct the law to the best of her ability.

After a thousand years, her ability was well honed, experience giving her a sharp eye at spotting loopholes and ways the law could be twisted.

But, she was not perfect.

“You can’t wash away the stains with wave of your wing, Celestia.” Tyr shrugged off her aunt and stomped towards the door.

Celestia did not respond. There was nothing to say, as it was true.

Tyr stopped halfway across the room and wheeled back, mane crackling about her head in a electrified halo, teeth bared as she snarled.

“You don’t see what I see, Celestia. The grasping tentacles, viscous black tar leaking from their surface, that wrap themselves around the willingly wicked. The wounds across the fabric of Harmony they leave with each step. I hear the cries of those wronged continually. Every act of injustice, whether willful or not, is laid bare to my eyes. What good am I if I can’t right those wrongs? If I must let the sinful walk free? No, I won’t allow that. I can’t. I am Justice incarnate, and one way or the other, I have to see the wicked punished.”

With this, Tyr spun and yanked the doors open, almost tearing them from their hinges with the force of her aura.

Celestia sighed, but did not give chase. She only called out in a soft voice, “Tyr, you have to learn a simple truth; the Law is not always Just. It is the Law. No more, and no less. It has no care about what is moral, right or wrong. Only that it is followed and a civil, ordered society is maintained.”

At the door, Tyr paused and shook her head. Over her shoulder, in a soft voice, she said, “Such cynical logic I can never accept.”

With these parting words, Tyr stormed from the office as she had entered it, the crash of those fine oaken doors ringing through the halls.

Celestia sat for some time staring at the chair Tyr had occupied, her thoughts and heart heavy. The decanter of wine emptied. Chronicle came and went, stacks of paperwork growing in his passage. The ink on her quill hardened.

And, eventually, she stood and made her way the the tall windows overlooking the palace gardens, the castle walls, the city beyond, and then the twinkling light of the towns and villages in the valley further along.

“If only life were so simple that refusing to accept reality denied it being true,” Celestia whispered.

Author's Note:

This story came about by a question one dinner last September. A simple, of how would Tyr react to somepony being acquitted by the law when they'd done something unjust. It was written over the next day, and has remained largely unchanged since except for little grammar or spelling edits here and there.

I sat on the story so long as; it's rather short and I didn't want to put it up by itself, and some of the ideas and conversation structure had/have a strong possibility of being in an upcoming chapter of Myths itself. That Tyr-Celestia interaction has grown different enough that the overlap is now mostly superficial, at this juncture.

Ultimately, this is just a little thought experiment and me 'showing my work' on practising conversations and the characters of Celestia and Tyr.