• Published 8th May 2015
  • 8,934 Views, 194 Comments

The Flames of the Phoenix - FrostTheWolf



I am more than what you think I am. You think that I'm weak, broken and easy to deceive? Well, you're about to find out the reason why I am not to be trifled with [Displaced story]

  • ...
35
 194
 8,934

4- Stoneskin

Author's Note:

Heads up, this chapter contains the first crossover for Ember. For this chapter, She meets Ultron from Displaced: Age of Ultron. Also, thank you to NewUnitedEmpire for writing with me. It was fun and you always help me get new ideas. Especially with the ending of this chapter.
-Frost

The Flames of the Phoenix- Stoneskin


Sweet Apple Acres

That night, Big Mac felt restless. It wasn’t because of fear or excitement. Actually, he didn’t know why he was like this. Maybe it was because he was scared. Scared of what though? Maybe it was because of not knowing what to expect. It was around an hour or so til the sun came up and he couldn’t sleep anymore. Turns out though, the stallion wasn’t the only one who was wide awake.

From his bedroom window, he saw his Aunt, The human named Ember Valkyr; on the front porch. She was playing around with her “fingers” and creating small balls of flame that would disappear seconds later. Seeing that there wasn’t a need for him to be sitting around in his room like this, the stallion walked down to the porch and joined her. “Mornin’.”

“Ah, Hello there Mac. Couldn’t sleep?”

“Eeyup.”

“Happens to me as well.” The human told him. “I sleep for a long time, but I always happen to wake up an hour or so before Celestia raises the sun.”

“Y’know Celestia?” Big Mac asked at the mentioning of the Alicorn.

“Only met her recently after I reunited with Philomena only two days ago. Besides that, I had only heard bits and pieces of information here and there.” Ember said. “Hey… since we are up, maybe we can get started.”

Big Mac raised an eyebrow, puzzled. “Started on what?”

“Figuring out your Life Force. You asked me if it was possible that you could have the capabilities of controlling Life Force, so it’s time to test you.”

The Red Stallion gulped. “T-test me?”

“Yeah, but it’s a simple one.” Ember said as she took out two pieces of paper, setting one by Mac’s hoof and holding the other one. “This paper is helping us with the first step. It’s enchanted to where it’ll react to you and tell what you can possibly control.”

“What are the possibilities?”

“There are five in total.” Ember said, holding her paper until it burned up to ashes. “If you control fire, the paper will burn. Those that control water will soak the paper. Wind users cause the paper to cut in half. Lightning users would cause the paper to crinkle up and earth users would make the paper crumble away. Put your hoof on the paper and close your eyes, then open them when I tell you too.”

Following her instructions, Mac did so. Placing his hoof on the paper. It felt weird at first, but then, after a few seconds, it felt like he was standing on normal ground again.

“Now, open your eyes.”

He did so. The stallion could not see anything in the minimal light that was cast upon the setting. “Ah don’t think it worked. Ah don’t see anything.”

“Actually, it did.” Ember told him. She brushed up some of the dirt under his hoof to see scraps of the fibers that made up the material. “It crumbled underneath your hooves. You have a powerful Life Force Mac and we just figured out what it is. You are an Earth user. What I would call a “Stoneskin”.”

Around now though, Ember was beginning to feel something course through her. She felt a pulling sensation along with a small headache as she dropped to a knee. Big Mac himself was a little worried about his Aunt, but became a little more concerned as she was pulled by an unknown force and disappeared in a brief flash. All that he heard next was only a few words.

Don’t worry… She’ll be back soon.


The Forge (Ultron’s Equestria)

“I can’t believe how much this place was destroyed.” Luna said as she picked something made of metal up. The mane six had came with by Luna’s request to Ultron forge and now were helping him clean it up.

“Well, I kinda had to fight my prototypes after all.” The metal man said. Pinkie Pie pulled out a old box and almost fell over from it. A feather was seen flying out from it. Ultron saw it as it landed.

“What’s that? It looks like a Phoenix feather.” Twilight said. Ultron scanners picked up similar anomalies in the feather as the fang and the black orb.

“I think I may know what it could be. Give me a moment.” He said as he walked into another room. The tokens recording then was heard on his ears.

I am Ember Valkyr, The Tortured Phoenix. Call upon me and my pain and rage will turn your enemies to ash.

It wasn’t until long that Pinkie herself, since she found the feather in the box, got closer to it and the feather tickled her nose. Her nose began to twitch a little.

“Aaaaah… ACHOO!!”

That single sneeze caused the feather to glow an almost fire like color inside the room Ultron was in along with the pony who sneaked in.

Ultron glared at the Pink Anthro pony. ‘Note to self: proof my forge against her.’

The feather soon gave way to a fiery vortex. Ultron took the time to study it for all it was worth. Even the shortest of scan would be most helpful for him. A figure came out the vortex and landed right in front of him. “What is it?” Pinkie asked.

Ultron knew what it was but didn’t think it was possible. “A human.”

The human that was on the floor slowly began to wake up. Ember was unsure of what just happened. For one thing, the Life Force energies in the room weren’t normal. For one thing, the signatures they were giving off were similar in rhythm, but the pacing was different. Her eyes opened up. The first thing that he saw was feet.

Metallic feet. Like a machine or robot.

“What the f-?”

Standing there was a machine or robot who was looking down at her. It looked human in designed. It was tall easily taller than any human could ever be. The biggest thing about it was its Life Force. It actually had life force. Its life force was almost human yet was so off it might have well been alien for all she knew. The machine opened his mouth. “Hello, I am Ultron.” Ultron answered.

Ember’s first reaction was to move backwards and create some distance between this Ultron and her as Fire formed from her hands. “Okay, what kind of messed up dream is this? Because the last I remembered, Ponies don’t walk on two hooves.”

Ultron turned to Pinkie Pie. “Get out of here.” He said, Pinkie nodded and leaved..

Ultron turned to her with his hands raised he used magic to pull out the black orb and fang. Ember eyes had widened, this machine was using magic? “I believe it's not a dream, this is very much real.” He turned to her. “Have you ever heard of Multiverse theory? The theory states that there are possibly other universes-.”

“I know what the hell that is-! It’s something that’s part of some Displaced crap or something along those lines.” Ember’s flames were now getting hotter, now conjuring magma. “Now, I want answers or I’ll melt your heart!!”

Ultron rolled his eyes. He gave a quick scan of her body and make up. “If you do that the Magic reactor will explode with enough force to rip your cells apart.”

“So what? I’m over a thousand years old and my rage created the badlands!! You think your threats are going to intimidate me!?!” Ultron blinked.

“That wasn’t a threat, the reactor literally would kill you.” Ultron decided that this wasn’t going to get him anywhere. He sent a sign to have something ready if this gets ugly.

“Look lets calm down-.”

In front of Ember, something drifted between her eyes. The Phoenix feather that brought her here. Her eyes widened upon seeing it. The flames she conjured were soon dispersed as she caught it. “P-phyrron?” She spoke softly.

Ultron was confused. He pulled up his files on that name. A old memory in his data banks. He remember Phyrron. “I’m get the feeling something else is different about our realities.” He knew Phyrron was still alive as his satellites picked up the Phoenix colony had grown under his leadership.

“What is that suppose to mean?”

“By your shock, I get the feeling Phyrron is dead in your reality. In mine he is leader of the Phoenix colony.”

“Phyrron is the reason for my powers. He had me inherit them and raise Philomena as he was dying. That’s how come I’ve been alive so long.”

Ultron found that both fascinating and sad. “So the flames you are using is Phoenix flames?” Ultron asked, his forge use to have Phoenix fire to melt the metal. “So, you say you are a thousand year old as well?’

Ember nodded. “Trust me, you don’t want to hear my tale. There’s a reason that I’m called The Tortured Phoenix.” She was flexing her hands, having fire come out of them every few minutes or so. “Because it wasn’t until just now that I felt like I was putting my life back together.”

Ultron decided he’ll be first with introductions. “Well I’ll go first. I am Ultron and alongside my friends, Celestia and Luna; we once wield the Elements of harmony against a mad god called Discord.” That was strangely familiar. “However I been kind of in a coma for a thousand years, I tried to talk my Luna out of becoming Nightmare Moon, she destroyed my old body and now.” Ultron finished. “I was awakened just after Discord was re imprisoned. you?”

Ember sighed. “For the first five years of my new life in Equestria, I had raised Philomena. But then, in the San Palomino Desert, I was captured by Bandits when they wanted to get the phoenix since their feathers make a fortune on the black market. I was forced to work in a coal and gem mine for years alongside two other ponies who were captured. Red and Golden Apple. However, when I refused to kill a young Buffalo who stole food from the camp, the head stallion in charged killed Red in cold blood. That… was when my rage went off. Burning everypony that was torturing us and turning the peaceful lands that we were once in into the Badlands. As time passed, more events played on, but over nine hundred years later, I was personally shocked to find that Golden Apple… was alive. He had stumbled upon a place called the Tunnel of Time, where every twenty four seconds in there was twenty four years out here. Nine centuries went by in a matter of minutes. So, I helped him turn his life around and it wasn’t until recently, that I found out that Golden Apples dying wish was for me to be part of the family. Now, his daughter; Granny Smith, helps me raise my Nephew and two nieces. Big Mac, Applejack. and Applebloom. Not to mention that I found Philomena again.”

Ultron realized she had a hard life. He saw a ball the old prototype heart in his hands. “Here if you need any help just call.” He said handing her his orb. She nodded, taking the orb for her to hold. Soon, the fiery vortex that was how she originally arrived formed again. She began to walk towards it, but then turned around. Looking at Ultron and Applejack, who Ultron had not seen walk into the room. “Ember. Ember Valkyr. That’s my name. I’m a Valkyrie. Use the feather to call upon me when you need me. Thanks by the way.” Ultron nodded and waved good bye.

“Thanks for having me see things clearly. Now, I need to return to Applejack and the others. Don’t want my niece back in my world to freak out about me going missing.”

With that, she went into the vortex as the churning pathway closed. Ultron himself felt relieved for a minute. Until he heard something behind him.

“Now, What’s this about me being her Niece?”

Damn it… He hated it when having to explain these things.


Sweet Apple Acres (Ember’s world)

By the time Ember came back, it was still partially dark and Big Mac was still on the porch. She caught the stallion by surprise as the Mancer emerged. “Sorry for Startling you.”

“Startlin’ me? Yah scared me to death with that Vanishing Act of yours!” The Stallion told her. “Matter of fact, what the hay was that?” Ember sighed. She had a big explanation ahead of her and it might be a bit much for her niece to handle. But he seemed to be the guy to take these kind of things well. Guess there was no other choice at this rate.

“I was summoned.”

“S-summoned?” Big Mac asked, confused.

“Yes. There are others who got brought to their own versions of Equestria who can summon each other using tokens.” She showed her phoenix feather just to demonstrate. “I don’t know much about them, but I believe both of us will learn more about it over time. Right now though, let’s keep this as a secret between the both of us. Okay?”

The Red Stallion nodded his head in agreement as the Mancer smiled. “Alright. Now, lets continue on where we were before that.”

“Right, somethin’ about bein a Stoneskin?” Big Mac asked. Ember nodded her head as she sat down on the ground.

“That’s right. An Earth User. Or what I would call a Terramancer.”

“Terror?” He responded, a little concern in his voice.

“No, not Terror. Terra… with an A. It’s a word that means Land. Your abilities reflect the Land around you and the ground you trot on. You can move the earth with your hooves and bend it to your will. Your strength has been enhanced too. A Terramancer use their skills in Offense and Defense even though most of their skills are used to form protective walls and barriers. As for myself, I’m what you may call a Pyromancer since I can control fire.”

“What are you capable of, Aunt Embah?” Big Mac then asked her, curious to find out his Aunt’s reply.

“Well, what I can do is mostly Offensive. But it doesn’t mean I can’t take a few pointers from the other elements. A thick wall of fire is just as effective of a defense as a Barrier of Rock. My abilities are more offensive though and I’ve had years to practice. Even though I’ve been figuring out new ways to control them recently. I would say that you are a balance between offense and defense and with practice, you can be just as strong as me.”

The light of Dawn was beginning to shine upon them as Ember dismissed her flames and the two of them began to watch the beautiful rising of the sun. Applejack was soon up as she joined the two of them for breakfast. Applejack was wanting to have breakfast early since she wanted to take the opportunity for Ember to meet her friends this morning. Applebloom herself was sleeping over with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo back at their clubhouse.

The hard part though for Ember was when she was walking through Ponyville. The whole time she was walking through the Town, she received nothing but deadpanned stairs. Mostly because it seemed that most of the Townsfolk was afraid of her. Given what happened with the Tirek Incident, Ember should’ve expected something like this.

“Here we are. Welcome to the Castle.” Applejack said as she trotted inside.

“Wow… It’s a lot bigger than I thought it would be.” Ember said as she followed the element of honesty.

“Wait til ya see what’s on the inside.” Applejack chuckled as the two of them entered the door. Immediately, they were greeted by the Chandelier that loomed overhead that was made of tree roots. Ember saw the Crystals hanging amongst the branches and was amazed to see that they were Crystalline Memories. Only a Unicorn advanced in Gem based Magic could create something like this.

“Good morning, Appleja-.” Came another voice, that was soon interrupted when it laid eyes on Ember. It was a Lavender Alicorn with a Purple mane that had two stripes of Pink going through it. “Oh… I did not expect any guests this morning.”

“My Apologies, Sugarcube. Mac hasn’t had a chance to see the Castle yet and I also wanted to introduce you to my Grand Aunt, Ember.”

“Ember, you say? You mean as in Philomena’s caretaker?”

Before Applejack could say anything, Ember then began to speak. “Yes, that is correct. My name is Ember Valkyr and I knew Philomena when she was a hatchling. In fact, I helped raise her for the first few years of her life.” She then looked up towards a nearby window on one of the upper floors and smiled. “Well, speak of the devil, here she is now.”

From the windowsill, Philomena swooped down majestically and landed on her shoulder, nuzzling her face into Embers neck. “Hehe… Looks like somebirdy is a bit playful this morning.” That’s when the Mancer turned towards the three of them and sighed. Quickly and lightly, Ember did the same procedure that she had done before with the Princesses and the Spirit of Chaos. Just a finger to the forehead is all that was needed.

“There we go. Sorry about this being so sudden, but it’s the only way that you can hear Philomena.”

“Wait a second, Sugarcube… Hear… Philomena?”

‘Greetings to you as well, Element of Honesty.’

Everypony in the room was shocked to hear that. “D-did she just-?”

‘Indeed, I did speak. Only certain gifted individuals like Ember and the Element of Kindness can hear me talk to them. But Ember has allowed you to hear my voice and also talk to me. I’m very appreciative to have the opportunity to talk to all of you.’ The Phoenix told them, showing her appreciation by landing nearby each of the three ponies in the room and nuzzling her head against their manes.

“Well… That’s a lot to take in… First, to find out that Ember is Applejack’s aunt and now she allowed us to talk to a phoenix… And I thought I had crazier mornings.”

The firebird now looked puzzled. The Pyromancer sighed, explaining to not just her, but also to the Princess the same thing that Granny Smith told her, AJ, Applebloom and Big Mac yesterday. In addition, she added on the explanation on how she was Philomena’s caretaker. That way, everypony knew her story. The story of The Tortured Phoenix.

“Wow…… I’m sorry you had to go through all of that hardship and pain.”

“It’s fine really,” Ember said in response to Twilight. “An old saying back from my home is What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. For me, I’ve learned from all of those experiences and they made me into the person that I am.”

“I’m concerned about one thing though,” Twilight continued. “What happened to Anivia? Matter of fact, how come she exists? I thought all phoenix’s were firebirds.”

‘Not quite, young Spark. You see, when the world was first formed, the planet was almost uninhabitable. The winters were below freezing and the summers were scorching hot, burning up any chance of nature to even exist. That’s when two creatures decided to do something about it. The Phoenix’s made sure to control the warmth of the sun while the Wendigo’s made sure to control the winters. However, with this position of Power, the Wendigo king was overcome by greed and wanted Equis in a neverending winter. Therefore, he was sealed off and the heart of the King was used to keep the season’s in check…… Tell me, are you familiar with the Mirror of the Crystal empire?’

Twilight and Applejack nodded while Big Mac just let the bird continue. ‘Well, the Mirror was once used for a different purpose. King Sombra had originally intended to use the mirror to draw out the darkness in the hearts of those who looked into it and have those shadows take form and be under his command. Like a copy of your negative self. The first one he tried it on was actually my mother, Phyrra. From her, a phoenix of Ice was formed from the mirror with one set goal in mind and it was not to serve under Sombra. Instead, her goals were to eliminate every phoenix in the world. A massive genocide. I had thought that she had faded away after the night she snapped my mothers neck and my father sacrificed himself to protect me. But… something makes me feel like Anivia is watching me… Waiting for herself to get stronger so she could finish the job.’

And waited I have, Spawn of Phyrron.

The hairs on Ember’s neck began to stand on end as she turned around. Up above her, on the ledge by the Chandelier was the Cryophoenix. Her wings were crystalline and the surface that she had used as a perch was slowly beginning to freeze. A horn like crystal and a crystal around her neck hummed with Magic as she looked down on the five of them.

“It has been far too long since I had last quenched the thirst I get from killing one of your kind. But, with the newfound power I gained, it would be far too easy to do so.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

The Phoenix just laughed as she pointed at the crystal on her head and around her neck. “See these? They were two out of three crystals that I had infused into myself that came from the heart of the Wendigo king. The third was taken from me, but it doesn’t really matter now does it? You should be thankful that I’m letting you live, but I’ll be leaving you with a grim reminder of what I’m truly capable of.”

With that, the Cryophoenix took off from the ledge and disappeared, dropping something onto a cushion that was in the room. It was something encased in Ice, but it wasn’t until Twilight went over there and saw what was frozen there that she began to panic.

“SPIKE!!!”


End Chapter 4