• Published 8th May 2015
  • 8,913 Views, 194 Comments

The Flames of the Phoenix - FrostTheWolf



I am more than what you think I am. You think that I'm weak, broken and easy to deceive? Well, you're about to find out the reason why I am not to be trifled with [Displaced story]

  • ...
35
 194
 8,913

15- Truth

The Flames of the Phoenix- Truth


In Applejack’s mind right now, there were so many questions that she had regarding what was currently playing out just steps from the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres. It was only a few moments earlier though that Applejack had come face to face with a bipedal pink maned bandit that was able to free herself out of her lasso and the next moment, they found out that this… thief was somehow Ember’s mother. If anything, there were still several questions that Applejack had on her mind regarding the situation. And some that needed immediate answers.

Though, before she could say anything… she noticed something in particular with her aunt that she had not seen before up until now. And that was the fact that she… was crying. Not tears of sorrow, but tears of happiness. Small ones, but tears all the same. Even Big Mac himself was a little bit puzzled by what was going on along with that of Applebloom. Though, it was the latter of the three ponies that actually decided to speak up on the matter. “Um… not to sound rude, but can somepony explain what the hay is going on?”

That question from the filly had Ember stop for a moment as she used her scarf to wipe the tears off her face. The one that the ponies called ‘mom’ also did the same, just with her jacket this time as she let Ember speak. “That… is something that might not be so easy to explain.”

“How exactly, Aunt Embah?” Applebloom asked, tilting her head again.

“Well…” Ember said, letting out a sigh. “Back before ever meeting you… or Golden Apple… or anypony in Equestria, I was once just a normal girl named Emma in a place called Earth. I didn’t have powers or anything like that… but what I did have was family. That was… until my parents left me a note on one fateful day saying that they wanted to split. After that, I just put on my scarf, fell asleep and… well, ended up here.”

That even had the little burglar that was sitting next to her look rather shocked for a moment. Before smiling a bit. “Well, at least I’ve found you now, Emmy…” Again, all three ponies looked back at her for a moment, looking confused by what she just said. Until the thief then explained what she was referring too. “Oh… right. Emmy was always the nickname I used for her when I was raising her. Short for Emma.”

“Okay… but what is your name exactly?” Big Mac then asked her.

“Well, where we used to be from, my first name was Mae,” She explained to her. “And I used to be just as tall as my daughter. However, ever since coming here, I’m now known as Maeve and I’ve shrunk in size to the point where I look like a young child. Does that answer your question, kitten?” Big Mac almost twitched at being called that, while Applebloom just chuckled as she looked back at her brother. Even going as far as pretending that she was purring like a cat to make the fur of her brother stand up on his neck.

“Ah think that’s a yes.” Applebloom then replied back with a smile on her face.

“Heehee…” Maeve grinned a little bit, before looking back to Ember. It was in this moment that Ember felt inclined to ask her something as she turned to face Maeve directly.

“Mom… can I ask you something?” The pyromancer spoke up as the thief nodded her head. “How… did you even get here?”

“Could you be a bit more specific?” Maeve responded back with a question as Ember took a small sigh. “Do you mean get here to this town? Or are you thinking bigger then that?”

“I mean this world…” Ember clarified. “Like how did you arrive here?”

“Well… that is something I don’t really remember… my brain’s still a bit fuzzy on that subject.” The thief frowned, scratching the back of her head. It didn’t help any at all that after she scratched the back of her head was when they heard a loud rumbling as everypony stared at her.

“Was that… your stomach?”

“Um… yeah?” Maeve told them, before following up on that with another thing she said. “What? A few hours ago, I was hiding inside the back of a trading wagon bound for this town from Horseshoe Bay and aside from that apple I had just now and small crumbs of bread, I haven’t eaten anything in almost two days.”

That almost threw Applejack and the others off guard as she looked back at the rogue. “Well, why didn’t you say so!? If you would’ve told us that and not gone on to try and steal from our crop, we would’ve gladly gave you something to eat.”

“You didn’t know who I was until just now. How would you know that I wasn’t trying to lie and steal something from you?” Maeve then asked her.

“Applejack can tell if somepony’s being truthful or not,” Applebloom then chimed in. “If you would’ve told her that from the beginning, then she would’ve listen to you… kind of.”

That had Maeve raise an eyebrow for a moment as Applejack turned around to look back at the filly. “What do you mean by ‘kind of’, sugarcube?”

“Don’t you remember what happened when you and the girls first met Zecora?” Apple Bloom asked, before looking back at her. “You thought she was an evil enchantress that lived in the Everfree before you shrank because of poison joke. And she was the one that was brewing the cure for it, but you were too stubborn to hear her out.”

Ember herself raised an eyebrow at that, before chuckling. “You thought she was an evil enchantress?”

“And why didn’t you tell me this?” Big Mac then added alongside what Ember asked.

“Well… to be fair, Pinkie Pie started with that and then everypony else still went along with it. It’s something that I still regret to this day,” Applejack sighed, before looking back at Big Mac and Ember. “And this happened when you were Granny Smith back in Appleloosa a long time ago. You weren’t even at the Orchard when this occurred.”

“It’s funny you say that because when you were little, you said you were going to ‘tell Big Macintosh on me’ when ah ran to go help Zecora.” Applebloom chuckled as Applejack face-hooved herself, adding a small groan while looking back at them.

“Alright, ah think ah get the point…” Applejack then spoke up, removing her hoof from her face as she looked back towards Ember and Maeve now. “Besides, it’s getting real close to lunch. If you want to lend a hoof with preparations, then we can let you join us and give you something to eat as well.”

“Why thank you for that,” Maeve replied as she got up off the porch and followed Applejack and Applebloom towards the kitchen. The rogue soon noticed that the filly had placed a basket of apples by the kitchen sink, which… had her grin a little bit as she took out one of the knives that was originally on her coat and began twirling it around her finger as she asked another question to the farm pony. “Can I help with peeling the apples? These blades are made for slicing, after all…”

Both Applejack and Applebloom looked at one another for a moment, before Applejack then said something. “As long as you wash your… uh...”

“Hands.” Ember then added to Applejack’s sentence in order to help her.

“Right… As long as you wash your hands first, then we’re okay with some extra help.” Applejack then responded, allowing Maeve to come over, wash her hands and use some of her knives to peel the apple skins off first before cutting them into slices. Originally, Applejack herself thought that she would need some help with that… but after watching Maeve cleanly peel away the skin of one of the apples and then cut the first apple down into a series of freshly divided slices, it made her think otherwise.

Especially since she was able to cleanly cut away the skin of the apples and divide them into slices… in half the time it usually would take them to do the same thing. Cutting enough pieces for not just apple slices, but also letting Big Mac use some of the apples that she peeled to make some fresh apple juice. As for Applejack, she asked Applebloom to get out the frying pan because she was going to start cooking some Apple Dumplings.

Only to run into one particular problem as she was trying to get it started. “Dang nabbit!”

“Is something wrong, Applejack?” Ember asked.

“Darn stove isn't lighting the gas… Been meaning to have somepony to come take a look at it, but with all that has been happening recently, I just haven’t had the time-” The farm pony stopped speaking though the moment that Ember walked over and lifted her right hand over the stove. Snapping the fingers as a small flame was conjured and the gas was lit, causing Applejack’s hat to fly backwards and for her mane to be sticking up a bit. “Oh… right. Thanks, Ember.”

Maeve herself though, had just turned around when she watched her daughter light the stove with the snap of a finger. And she was rather surprised by what she had just witnessed. “Emmy… How are you able to do that?”

“That… is a lot to explain,” She explained to her, before walking over to another cupboard and getting out some plates to set on the table. “If you would like, I can tell you about it after lunch. We should be ready soon once Applejack is done with the Apple Dumplings.”

“That seems fair, kitten.” Maeve responded back as she also decided to lend a hand with setting up the table as well, going as far as to set up the table, pour drinks and even set out a bowl of apple slices to serve as an appetizer. Which provided enough time in order for Applejack to be able to finish the first batch of dumplings as prepare a second one just in case anypony wanted seconds.

Eventually, they were able to finish cooking and had everything set up on the table for them to eat. But there was one thing that was missing as Applebloom soon wandered off into the next door room. “Granny, it’s time for lunch! We made Apple Dumplings!”

That… had Maeve look back at Ember and the others and raise an eyebrow. “Granny?”

“Ah coming, ah’m coming!!” The sound of Granny Smith’s voice spoke up as she entered the room on her walker alongside Applebloom. “Well done, everypony. All of this smells delicious-” Of course, it was also then that she happened to notice Maeve as she was taking a seat next to where Ember was sitting. “Ember dear… who is this?”

That had the mancer turned her head to look at the rogue for a short moment, before saying something. “Granny Smith… I would like for you to meet Maeve. We just met her a couple minutes ago.”

“Really now? Is she a friend of yours?” Granny then asked as she took up a seat next to Applejack.

“Not… exactly,” Maeve spoke up, before looking back at the elderly earth pony as she reached for an apple slice on the table. “You probably wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“Ah come on, ah’ve seen many things in my life… Ah’m sure this isn’t any different.” That… made the Rogue grin a little as she fumbled something out of her coat pocket before looking back at her. When Ember looked to see what she was getting out, the mancer happened to notice that what Maeve was holding onto right now was some kind of photograph. One that was of the both of them when… well, before being separated.

“Well… this is a picture of Emmy and I from a long time ago. Back where we used to call home,” She said, sliding it across the table as she looked back at her. “I know that I look different in this picture, but I do believe the relationship is the same, kitten.”

That… had Granny be a little bit puzzled as she looked at the photograph. Going as far as putting on her reading glasses in order to look at it clearly. It took her a few minutes in order to try and figure it out, but… unfortunately, it was someone else who happened to spoil the surprise. “Wow, your mother looks much different in that picture, Aunt Embah!”

“Applebloom!!”

“What? Isn’t that a compliment?” The filly asked her sister, all while Granny Smith was trying to wrap her head around what she just heard.

And she still seemed to be rather puzzled by this revelation as she was trying to form a question in her head. “Wait… if yer her ma, then why do ya look so…?”

“Young?” Maeve asked.

“Ah was going to say small, but yeah… Why do ya look like that?” Granny then asked as Applejack began to place a few dumplings on each one of their plates.

“Well, that is something I’m still trying to wrap my head around…” The rogue sighed as she set down the rest of the apple slice that she was having. “It happened when I was invited to a special event back where Emmy and I were originally from. I was meeting a few friends and… well, while we were at that event, I got roped into a contest. When I won, they gave me this jacket as a prize, complete with fake knives as props and I fell asleep with it on. Next thing I know, I woke up to being smaller that normal, my hair was changed to pink, my voice was a lot different and I found myself in the middle of Horseshoe Bay. That and the knives that I thought were props turned out to be real. Even cut myself one of my fingers on accident.”

“Wait a minute… Horseshoe Bay?” Applejack asked, raising an eyebrow upon hearing that name. “You mean that cove filled with pirates, cutthroats and thieves?”

“Yeah, not the best kind of situation that you would want to wake up in…” Maeve sighed. “Course, it did help me learn a bit about how to survive along with some of the new… abilities I can do. But the moment I heard about another human being in this place, I was quick to pounce out of there… How do you know about that place though?”

“A while back, we were helping Fluttershy return a fish that she nursed back to health, only to end up getting captured by some crazy pirate named Hoofbeard. It’s a long story.” Applejack answered as she noticed Maeve chuckle a little.

“Ah that guy… He was the first pony I was able to successfully rob while trying to survive that place,” That had everyone, including Ember, just stare at her with a look of shock and surprise on her face. All before she just looked back at them with a shrug. “What? I needed the bits for some food and he was drunk out of his mind when it happened. Probably had too much Apple Cider.”

That… had Granny Smith then turn to Ember as she asked her something. “Are ya sure that she’s not going to cause ya any trouble?”

“Hopefully…” Ember sighed, just as she was about to eat one of the dumplings that was on her plate before assuring her something. “But I will be keeping my eye on her.”


After having lunch, the rest of the day was rather quiet and calm given how Applejack, Applebloom and Big Mac already had harvested the apples from the trees and now brought them into the barn to sort. Of course, Ember wanted to help them, but Granny Smith insisted that she should be able to spend some time with her mother and leave the work to AJ and the others. This… also provided the chance for Ember to have the first ever conversation that she had with her mother in a long time. One where it was just between the two of them and with no one, or nopony else interfering.

Of course, it was over the course of their conversation that a single question began to burn in the back of her mind. At first, it was nothing… but the longer the conversation with Maeve went on and the more that she told her about the things that happened to her over the years that she had been in Equestria, the more and more that it began to irritate her to the point where it was driving her crazy. Until at one point… she decided to ask. “Hey mom… there was something I wanted to ask you… and I’m sorry if this sounds a little too personal.”

“Hmm? What is it, Kitten?” Maeve asked her, a little puzzled by what Ember was asking. However, Ember had a bit of trouble trying to say the words for it at first. But after letting out a deep sigh, she then began to speak.

“When I originally came here to Equestria, it was after I found out about what was going on with you and dad…” The mancer explained, before adding in the question. “But why did you two decide to split up?”

Maeve herself sighed, before straightening herself up as she looked back at Ember. “You know… I have been waiting for you to ask that for the longest of times now. And I think now’s the best time for you to know what happened.”

Personally, Ember was not prepared to hear that specific answer. “R-really? You… actually want to talk about it?”

“Yeah I mean… What do you think I was going to do? Tell you no after learning how my daughter is immortal and been around for over a thousand years. That would just be cruel and unusual punishment,” The rogue told her, before stretching out her hands as she leaned up against the side of the barn while the two of them were sitting on the patio. “So why would I make you wait any longer?”

Ember had to admit, that was a valid point. She didn’t want to wait any more, nor did she want anyone to hide the truth. Back home, her father always said that the fights that he and her mother had were just minor… yet, someone wouldn’t want to have a divorce after a small fight. That’s like saying you want to fire your agent because of a small disagreement. “So… Why did you and dad want to split…”

“Well… the main reason for that is simple. When you were six, your father was on a business trip and during that time… he had an affair with another woman,” The Rogue began to tell her, and right out the gate, Ember was shocked by this. “He kept the whole thing a secret for twelve years… many of the times that he was out in the same area on a ‘business trip’ he was seeing her. And not just for getting together…”

That part puzzled Ember for a moment as he looked back at her. “What do you mean?”

“Emmy…” Maeve let out a small breath, before speaking. Because what she said next was something that the pyromancer was not prepared for. “You have a little brother. Step brother, to be more specific.”

At first, Ember did not understand what she meant. But slowly, the pieces were coming together. “Wait… you mean…” Her question was met by a small nod, to which, made Ember ask a quick follow up question. “But if that were true… how did you find out?”

“When you went on that field trip and I was running errands, your father brought her to the house because she needed to talk to him badly. When I got home early, I overheard the entire conversation and also overheard that their son… the one that is your little step brother now, had gone missing… disappeared without a trace in the middle of a toy store,” The rogue said as she continued on. “At the time I heard this though, I saw this as a big betrayal of trust. Twelve years… twelve years that I thought that I was happy and that he would not do anything to hurt me turned out to be a lie. So, after learning the truth, I did not hesitate in order to separate from him. Because I wanted a better future… for both of us.”

However, when she finished that statement, Maeve looked away for a moment as she tried to restrain herself from crying. “B-but I did not think that I would lose you too… just like that boy.”

Ember herself, looked back at Maeve and placed a hand on her shoulder to try and comfort her from any pain. “I-i’m sorry to hear that…” She replied back, before thinking of something. “Um… I’m not sure if it’s too much for me to ask… but what happened after I was gone?”

“To simply put it, I started looking for you. At the time, I thought that you were kidnapped just like the boy that’s your little brother. I was once a detective for the police, I couldn’t just sit around and wait for something to come up on it’s own. However, when I couldn’t find any leads, I decided to take a break and visit my family in Atlanta. Possibly ask them for advice,” Maeve told her, while also commenting on the fact that it was ironic that she was once someone who caught criminals, but now is a criminal causing trouble. “And the first thing they taught me was to try and forgive… I mean, it wasn’t that other woman’s fault that this whole fiasco happened-”

“Hold up a minute,” Ember blinked, before looking back at her. “You actually reached out to the woman who had an affair with dad? How?”

“Actually, she reached out to me instead. Told me that on the original night that he and your father met, he said he was not married,” She replied back to her daughter. “We talked for a bit and she… well, she invited me to her home up in Baltimore. We had the chance to talk and told me more about her son. Or your brother for that matter.”

That part had the mancer curious as she talked a bit more about him for a few more moments, before asking a question. “Did you get his name?”

“Yeah I did actually,” Maeve said before the sun began to start setting. “Your father had him keep our last name… but he let his mother choose his first name. It’s-”

Around now though was when the window along the side of the barn opened up and with it, Applejack stook out her head. “Hey… Sorry for interrupting yer talk, but supper’s almost ready. Come on in before it gets cold.”

“We’ll be there in a moment,” Ember assured her, which had Applejack nod as she returned back inside before looking back at Maeve and beginning to walk back inside. “So… as you were saying?”

“Ah right…” Maeve smiled, just before the rogue told her what she was going to say before they went inside for supper. After she was time the name, it had been stuck inside her head for some time, getting to the point where she could not be able to get any rest.

So, in the late hours of the night… she got up from her bed and opened the window. Taking out one of the phoenix feathers that she had as her token and replicating it as she opened a small pocket of the void and let it drift inside. Followed by a brief and simple prayer.

“I hope this finds you wherever you are… Calvin.”


End Chapter 15

Author's Note:

So... I'm sure that a LOT of you might have some question about what exactly you just read. Well, for this, I thought I would have the chapter specifically be focused around Ember and Maeve given that the two of them have finally reunited after so long. But given how Ember never truly knew what drove her parents apart, I thought she would be able to finally get an answer as to why.

As for the ending... Well, let's just say that is something that I wanted to do for a long time, but I haven't really thought of how to do it until thinking things through last week. So I hope that this will provide a new angle into some of these characters I'm bringing into this world and how they connect to some other stories I have.

For now though, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and look forward to what else I have going on in the future.
-Frost