• Published 8th May 2015
  • 8,939 Views, 194 Comments

The Flames of the Phoenix - FrostTheWolf



I am more than what you think I am. You think that I'm weak, broken and easy to deceive? Well, you're about to find out the reason why I am not to be trifled with [Displaced story]

  • ...
35
 194
 8,939

0- How this all began

The Flames of the Phoenix- How this all began


The Phoenix. A majestic bird that is beautiful to look at and also watch as it rises from the ashes. However, many ponies in Equestria wonder where exactly do they come from. The only one ever seen in Equestria these days was the personal pet of Celestia, Philomena. But, to understand this story, you must know more about one specific individual. One that isn’t a pony at all, but just as important as any historical figure that you would ever come across in the history books. Now then, let us begin the story now.


She groaned to herself, drooping her head down with her hood up as the bus they were on was beginning to come to a complete stop. Everyone around her was slowly moving and getting off of the mobile transport, but she was the last to get off. Personally, this was not the way the girl wanted to spend her Saturday morning, but it was sure as hell better than hearing her parents fight all the time about the bills that came in the mail and whatever was true or not true.

She sighed a little, catching the attention of a nearby classmate. “Oh come on, Emma. Don’t act like that. You’re going to have a great time!!”

“Pfft. Says you.” The girl retorted as she took off her hood, revealing her long brown hair that was tied back in a ponytail. “My mother only had me come along on this trip so I could get out of the house. Extra credit points… Graduating high school… My ass.”

“Well, at least you’re here now.”

Emma grunted a little. “Yeah, but I’m not sure how long that’ll last.”

Her fellow classmate looked at her with a raised eyebrow as they folded her arms. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

“My father decided to announce to my mother and I that he wants to file for a divorce almost half an hour after I’ve woken up.”

“Oh god, I’m sorry Emma. I didn’t know-.”

Emma just accepted the apology with a simple “It’s alright” despite the fact that inside her head, things weren’t alright. She loved both of her parents, but barely saw them get along with each other. Even after this morning, Emma did not want to be forced to leave with her father to go to god knows where. She had lived in her neighborhood ever since she was a little girl and have had a lot of memories from then. Now, her current memories were just of times where her parents fought. Her father worked as a lawyer for the city and barely had the time to spend quality time with the family because of the amount of cases he had been asked to serve on. While for her mother, she was a stay at home mom with a kind heart, but everything she did to help the family made her look like a workaholic.

In a way, both her parents traits could be seen in her, despite the fact that she would rather not admit it. From her father, she learned how to be strong and stand up for herself no matter what hardships she was going through. From her mother, she learned kindness and how to care for others in times of need. Emma didn’t really see these things as being handed down to her from her parents though and personally saw them as skills that she had learned from experience over time.

The group of students she was with was soon browsing through the museum that they were visiting today. A costume and wax model museum. Home to the fake models of many famous movie stars, and TV characters. Emma herself though, was just looking around to find something to cure her of the boredom that she felt was slowly trying to kill her. She was only interested at one point where she was seeing some of the newer additions that were added recently. One that even included Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan and “Team Avatar” from The Legend of Korra. It was quite surprising to see real life version of the characters clothes.

“So… you seem to be enjoying yourself, right?”

Emma turned around quickly and her eyes now looked upon a middle aged woman, possibly in her early forties and looked like she had been raised in Chinatown. She had what looked a badge that made Emma think that she was a member of the museum staff.

“Kind of… Life has been crap for me and I felt like I was forced to come here so I can’t hear my parents bicker at each other constantly.”

“I can relate.” The woman replied. “You know… It’s funny to see my work put on display like this.”

Emma raised an eyebrow. “Your… work?”

“Well, who else did you think made those clothes?” She said as she pointed out to a model statute of Mako from The Legend of Korra. “It was hard to complete, but I was satisfied with the final product once I completed piecing everything together.”

The girl was now personally surprised. This woman… was the Seamstress that made these clothes? Wow… this work was amazing. “Miss… Shonin…? Can I ask you something?”

“Surely… Oh and call me Maho. There’s no need for formalities.”

“Well, I was wondering if…… you’re currently taking any commissions.”

The woman looked back at the girl now, slightly intrigued as she scratched her chin. “That depends…… What kind of clothing would you want me to make?”

Emma paused for a minute as she looked around the room. She looked back at the models of both Mako and Mikasa and then came up with an idea in her mind. “A scarf. Something like the one you did of Mako in length, but has the darkened colors of a burning fire. Like the scarf of a phoenix. People call me Ember as a nickname, so I thought I would have something that could fit the name.”

The woman smiled. “I believe I can do that within a couple of days. Would you like to discuss a price?”

“What did you have in mind?”

“Twenty. Twenty Five for next day shipping. I am a busy woman after all.”

Emma smiled. She had forty dollars in her pocket. Enough for this and Lunch later when everyone had to stop by the food court later. “I’ll take it.”


Three Days later…

“Ugh… Mornings… My mortal enemy…”

Emma hated early mornings. She preferred to sleep in sometimes if she could, but was always an early riser. This morning was no different. After getting dressed in a dark grey t-shirt and dark navy jeans, she went to the bathroom to straighten her hair and prepare herself for the day. So far, she had not heard of anything from her parents at all, which was odd. Normally, her parents arguing was what woke her half of the time.

Today though, it was different as she heard a THUD at the door. Emma walked on over to the door and looked down on the welcome mat to see a package with her name on it. The scarf from Ms. Shonin had arrived and this made Emma feel a bit happy. Tearing open the box, she put on the scarf, feeling the fabric warm her skin. It felt really comfortable.

When she set the box down though, Emma found something. A note for her. Looking it over, it’s contents soon extinguished her happiness.

“Emma honey. I’m sorry for telling you this now, but we’re not here this morning because your father and I are heading to the courthouse. It may be hard to take in, but we’re splitting up. Remember though, no matter what happens though, we still love you.”

-Mom

This though, didn’t help ease the pain. It instead made her furious. Did they even consider to run this decision by their daughter first before making this choice!? Emma now couldn’t take this. This must’ve been all a bad dream. She crashed herself onto her bed and closed her eyes. Wishing that she was no longer here and to not deal with this Sh*t anymore. But, unknowingly, she did not know that her wish would soon come true as a warm fire slowly covered her and had Emma disappear from her room.


When Emma opened her eyes again, she didn’t find herself in her room anymore. She was in a partially frozen forest and snow was falling. Which seemed impossible because it was suppose to be the middle of May. Despite her attire, she wasn’t cold. In fact, the scarf she wore was glowing and kept her warm and toasty like an open fireplace.

“W-what the hell? W-where am I?”

Turning around though, she felt another familiar source of heat. Her eyes widened. The girl was looking upon a majestic phoenix. Lying on the ground. Curled up. Like it was waiting to be taken away and burn out like a lit candle.

Hello, Child.

Emma flinched for a moment, staring at the avian. “D-did you just…… speak?” The fiery bird just nodded it’s head weakly as the human drew closer. She was concerned. “Are you okay?”

No… I’m not.

“What’s wrong?”

I am dying.

The teenager’s eyes widened when the phoenix told her this. “B-but that’s impossible!! A powerful creature like you should be-.”

Immortal? It interrupted. That’s the belief. Though we are immortal, one can only last so long with the amount of pain and suffering that living forever brings. Therefore, at one point in our lives, we sacrifice ourselves so our powers can help replenish the Stream in which magic flows through Equestria. Please… Just leave me to die alone…

For a moment, the teen considered to take up the bird’s advice. But, she began to think it through. He was alone. Like she was right now. Far away from home. Turning back and getting close to the bird, she said one word.

“No.”

I… beg your pardon?

“A beautiful and majestic creature such as yourself should not have to die alone. Hardships made me the person that I am and that means I never leave anyone alone, even if they want me too. I’ve been through a lot of crap in my life and even though I might not have seen the things you have, you’re the only person I can relate to. Therefore, I will stay with you in your final moments and keep you company.”

The phoenix stood silent as it’s eyes widened. This… creature… really did care about him. He felt that there wasn’t a individual in the world that could appreciate him for what he was capable of, but now… she made him feel… appreciated. Loved. Cared for.

Young one, what is your name?

“Emma Valkyr. But you may call me Ember.”

I am Phyrron. Guardian Phoenix of Equestria. I thank you for your kindness and for staying with me in my final moments. Therefore, I have a few parting gifts for you.

Phyrron motioned his wing, dropping a feather into her hands before it’s magic flowed around her, causing her to close her eyes. A plethora of images flowed through her mind as well as the knowledge each one contained. Ember couldn’t believe everything that she was seeing as she heard Phyrron speak.

This feather contained all the knowledge of the world of Equestria, from its inhabitants to the towns that are spread out through the land and the creatures that roam. I’ve also taught you to control the flames that resemble your scarf and have them bend to your will. Now, open your eyes, Ember. I have one last parting gift for you.

She did so. In front of her, a little Phoenix hatchling was right in front of her as Phyrron began to slip away.

This is my child. My offspring. She will see you as her caretaker. Raise her well, my friend.

Before the young pyromancer could ask anything, the phoenix ascended into the sky and disappeared, leaving her and the young chick in the snow as the sun slowly began to rise. Looking at the young hatchling, Ember asked her a question.

“So… what should I call you?”

All it did was chirp as it looked back at Ember.

“How about…… Philomena?”

The young phoenix squawked happily as it perched itself atop Ember’s head. It like the name as Ember got up and smiled. ‘I promise you, Philomena. I’ll do my best to help you.”


Author's Note:

Now, the Tale of the Tortured Phoenix begins.