• Published 7th May 2015
  • 25,177 Views, 3,592 Comments

There's Nopony I'd Rather Be Than Me - Tatsurou



Wreck it Ralph raises Nightmare Moon in the arcade.

  • ...
39
 3,592
 25,177

Telling Stories

"Hey guys, look! Dream Eater's selectable!"

"Of course it is! It's Tuesday!"

"Hey, my quarter's there!"

"But I've never gotten a chance to drive Dream Eater!"

"There's plenty of time before closing! Just watch!"

Stan Litwak sat back as he watched the kids arguing over Sugar Rush. He didn't bother to break it up. Dream Eater had already been selected as the racer, and if the fight went on too long without a race track being selected-

His musings - and the kids' arguing - was interrupted as Nightmare Moon tapped the screen with one hoof. "Hey!" she complained. "You gonna race, or are you gonna jabber?"

"Sorry," the kids all replied without thinking about it as the one whose turn it was selected a track.

Stan chuckled as he saw the brief smirk cross Nightmare's features. He was pretty certain mentioning that smirk would get him locked up in a padded cell...but then again, so would telling the truth about how that character started appearing in the games on the cycle.

As he walked by the Mega Man 3 cabinet, one of the kids waiting to play looked up at him. "Hey Mr. Litwak? Do you think you could have Moony in all the games, instead of just one a day?"

Stan smirked at the nickname the sprite had gotten unanimously from her player fans, but didn't even have to respond before one of the older players answered for him. "Why would he do that? Nightmare Moon's obviously there as advertisement for her own game that's gonna come to the arcade. It whets our appetite more if she only appears in some games on a rotation...and makes us want to play those games more on those days."

Stan chuckled as he walked past, glad he hadn't been forced to answer.

One of the young female players spoke up. "I wish this game had more underwater segments. When Moony takes Rush's place, Scuba Gear is just so cute!"

"Forget the Scuba Gear!" another kid laughed. "Have you seen the little dance she does while using Robot Master powers, like she's trying to figure out how to make them work?"

"And when you make contact, instead of just inflicting damage, she latches on and starts biting Mega Man's neck!" another proclaimed. "She knows how to attack the weak point for massive damage."

Stan continued his way around the arcade, passing by each of the other games Nightmare Moon sometimes appeared in. At Marvel vs. Capcom 3, several of those waiting in line were comparing notes on various button combos they'd attempted when controlling the Little Moon, as they sometimes called her, trying to determine her move list. By Legend of Zelda, some were compiling her attack pattern when she appeared as the optional boss fight, as well as the various locations she had appeared in, trying to reverse engineer her pattern. The only cabinet she appeared in that didn't have a debating crowd in front of it was Tapper's, since there she was just added cuteness.

When the character had first appeared, he'd gotten tons of questions about who she was, where she was from, how he'd put her into the games he had, and how she was programmed to act. He'd answered all of them by saying, "Just something to bring a bit of spice to the games, like the retro bonus stage in Fix-it Felix Jr.," and on her programming he refused to answer, saying, "That would take the fun of figuring her out away from the players." The truth wasn't something he wanted to share. After all, if anyone did believe him that she had come out of nowhere from a shooting star on the Fix-it Felix Jr. title screen, they'd try to take the games apart to figure out what had happened. He didn't want them doing that to the games.

He probably was crazy, thinking that the sprites somehow moved about on their own, having their own lives separate from the roles they were programmed to play, as though there were a whole society inside the code of the arcade. Then again, he knew he wasn't the only one to come up with crazed explanations for why old machines sometimes did inexplicable things that their programming didn't allow for. He'd heard various people talking rather seriously about how older machines had 'more soul' than newer ones. Was it really that much of a stretch to suggest that the 'soul' of an arcade game was expressed as each individual sprite living his or her own life when the arcade was closed? Making friends, visiting other games, even finding love?

Stan chuckled to himself at his own ludicrous ideas as he settled back into his office. There were reasons he didn't share the crazy stories he came up with about the sprites 'private lives' with anyone, keeping whatever he actually wrote out on his own laptop. If he told anyone the reason he left it plugged into the arcade power strip was because he hadn't had a virus attack on his laptop since - even after his anti-virus programs expired - he'd probably be locked up like for any of the rest of it. Admittedly, that started to add up to why he had begun to question how much was real and how much was his own imaginings.

However, one thing had recently worried him. Everyone was assuming Nightmare Moon would eventually get her own game cabinet, but he had no idea what game that could be. He didn't even create her or put her into the games. Still, he'd had a thought about that.

He had a friend - a computer programmer - who often talked about how his programs sometimes did unexpected things, joking about how the programs had their own ideas about what they were supposed to do. If he asked him to program an arcade cabinet with a blank villain slot...well, he'd definitely ask questions, and might think Litwak was off his rocker when he got the answers, but he'd still do it anyway, as much for 'the lulz' as to see if it would actually work. But Litwak wanted to have the complete game script - or at least the basics - before asking.

"Let's see," he mumbled to himself as he opened up Microsoft Word. He chuckled as the animated paperclip popped up to offer assistance, but then ignored it as he began to type. "The only time she's spoken has been in Fix-it Felix Jr. and Sugar Rush, and then she's spoken as a villain...so she's probably the villain." He typed away as he began the set up. "If she's the villain...well, she calls herself 'Queen of the Night' when she wins in Sugar Rush...so her direct opposite would be a ruler of the day. But queens are generally evil in fiction...so a Princess of the Day, her equal and opposite." He typed away.

He paused to take a drink before turning back. "But if they're equal and opposite, then how did she overcome to start the game? ...ah! Nightmare Moon was stronger than the day Princess as she tapped...dark magic. But the day princess used an older magic to banish her. But on her return, she overwhelms the day Princess before she can turn that power against her." The sound of his keystrokes became a rapid tick-a-tack. "Which means new heroes have to take up that power to defeat her. Those are the player characters. Hmm...now what should the power be..." He took another drink as he leaned back to think.

After a time, he leaned forward again. "Ancient magic that keeps the world in balance...in harmony...wielded by multiple characters..." He paused for a while, then typed in Elements of Harmony as a place holder barring coming up with something that sounded less cheesy. "And each of the...Elements...will bond to one of the player characters to be used against Nightmare Moon as a group. Dang, that sounds rather cliche when I look at it. Still, I suppose it works out.

"Now, how many player characters?" He thought about that for a time. However, before he could come to a decision, he heard a ruckus from out in the main arcade. "Dangit, what are those kids up to now?" Leaving his laptop behind, he went to check what all the noise was about.

Unnoticed to him, the Office Assistant vanished from its mini-window in one of its usual animations, but it remained gone for longer than normal.

Inside the computer, the Assistant was tied up and gagged in lines of code as another entity walked past it, raising a metallic hand to its ear. "Paperclip Man to Wily! Paperclip Man to Wily!" it said simply. "The caretaker has dropped the breadcrumbs!"

Author's Note:

In case it isn't obvious by the end of this chapter, "Friendship is Magic" does not exist in the world of Wreck-it Ralph.