• Published 28th Sep 2015
  • 9,054 Views, 1,419 Comments

The Twilight Enigma - iisaw



Twilight sets out to learn more of the ways of the world, and soon decides that the whole planet is disorganized, insanely dangerous, and desperately needs to be fixed. And she's just the mare to do it... with a little help from her friends.

  • ...
32
 1,419
 9,054

25 The Beginning

Chapter Twenty Five
The Beginning

In which Princess Twilight Sparkle
takes care of a few loose ends.

May 12th - 14th, 1015
Multiversal Nexus Prime and Pony Joe's Doughnut Emporium, Canterlot, Equestria

"Are you certain about this, Twilight?" Celestia asked as I prepared to trigger the warding spells around our universe.

I nodded as I mentally rechecked my math. "Yes. The reflexive feedback will pour more power into the barriers as more force is applied. Enough raw magical strength could overwhelm them, but if we're faced with an invader capable of that…" I shrugged. "We'll have to hope we're more clever than they are."

Celestia smiled slightly. "No, I am confident that your constructs will operate as you've designed them. I meant, are you certain about locking us away from everywhere else? By your accounts, there are wondrous things in the worlds beyond."

"There are also terrible things out there," I replied, "and some of them are me."

Celestia and Luna exchanged glances, but said nothing.

"I think the three-alicorn lock will be sufficient," I continued. "It won't be detectable from outside, but it will give us a way to open a lateral portal whenever we wish. Whenever three of us agree to do so, anyway."

"No other last minute changes?" Luna said, with a gentle, teasing smile.

I grinned right back at her. "We've repaired and reinforced all the secondary systems, and the Harmony Matrix is reset and adjusted for broader operating parameters. Yep, I think that about covers it. Believe it or not, my desire to meddle in the basic structure of the universe has pretty much been satisfied."

"That is well, for there are many concerns to be addressed on a secondary level," she replied, lifting an eyebrow. "The folk of Twilight Town have petitioned the Equestrian crown for return of their—and I quote—'dark goddess.'"

I groaned.

"Yes," Celestia said. "I'm afraid those fine ponies will be clamoring for the most inappropriate sort of leader for years to come, Twilight Sparkle. You have set their expectations of government quite high."

"Maybe we can ship Chrysalis out there?" I suggested, only half kidding.

"Fie!" Luna gave a snort of derision. "The Bug Queen is not half the villainess thou art!"

"Gee, thanks," I muttered, giving her swat on the shoulder with my wingtip.

"In all seriousness, Twilight," Celestia said, "despite the fact that ponies now think that the Undiscovered West was always there and remained unexplored only because nopony ever bothered, the appearance of a huge piece of new territory will probably require a lot of hooves-on attention."

"That was quite a clever bit of spell construction, by the way," I told her. "Was all that work really just to provide a refuge from Discord?"

"Yes, and it would have been much more clever if I had exempted myself from the spell," Celestia replied with a grin and a dismissive shake of her head.

"No," I said, not smiling back. "It was to ensure that Discord could never get the secret from you, wasn't it? You might have become trapped forever in his madhouse, but you still gave your subjects the possibility of escape."

Celestia cleared her throat and nervously shifted her forehooves. "I don't recall. Memory spells are like that."

I didn't reply for a moment. The sight of an embarrassed Celestia was something to be treasured. "Okay," I said, finally allowing myself to smile. "Let's go with that."

= = =

Chrysalis poked disdainfully at the éclair on the plate in front of her. "Is this some sort of joke, Sparkle?" She was wearing her "public" alicorn body and completely overdressed for a meeting in the back room of a student hang-out.

"Not at all!" I reassured her. "Princess Celestia offered me the use of a room in the palace, but I wanted this get-together to be more cozy and informal."

Prince Blueblood didn't even deign to glance down at the selection of pastries on the table. "An informal meeting hardly necessitates rubbing shoulders with the jumentous rabble, Princess. I'd take it as a great favor if we could conclude our business as quickly as possible."

"Certainly!" I said, in a cheerful tone. "You know that I've been away for quite a while—"

"And yet, here you are... again," Chrysalis said, sounding distinctly disappointed.

"Yes! And I thought you two might like to look at some of the pictures I took while I was traveling." My smile was quite genuine, though for different reasons than my words suggested. I levitated a photo book out of my saddlebags and placed it on the table in front of them.

"Your sense of humor, if I can call it that, completely mystifies me, Twilight," Chrysalis said, making no move to open the book.

"Still not joking," I said, and took a bite of my apple fritter. It was perfectly sweet, slightly crunchy on the outside and steamy warm and soft on the inside. Joe was a genius. He could have been working for any of the noble families as a pastry chef, making ten times what he earned from his shop.

Chrysalis exchanged glances with Blueblood.

I took a deliberately slow sip of my coffee, savoring the light hazelnut flavor. Nothing but the best for Joe's customers. I tried to hire him away once, but he told me that he loves the bustle of Canterlot and variety of ponies (and other things) he sees on a daily basis and would miss it too much.

Chrysalis sighed and flipped open the book. When she gasped, Blueblood turned his attention to the photos.

"What is this… this… foulness?" He growled at me, rising to his hooves in anger. "Some pathetic attempt to insult my wife? Celestia will hear of your unconscionable rudeness, Princess Twilight!"

"Sit down, Prince," I said. When he didn't, I quietly added, "I'm not asking."

His mouth and eyebrows twitched for a long moment as he mentally ran over his options, then he sat back down. "I trust you have an explanation for this?"

While her husband was making his show of outrage, Chrysalis had used her magic on the book of photos. "These are real, as far as I can tell," she said to him.

"Very real," I added. "And yes, I will tell you what those are all about, but it's a bit involved, so I recommend enjoying your coffee and doughnuts while I explain."

Blueblood didn't quite lean away from the table and cross his forelegs, but his disdain was clear.

"No? Your loss." I took another bite of my delicious fritter and launched into my story.

"You remember that little book on politics I published a few years ago? Well, you'll be happy to know that I've realized that I was dead wrong about all those reforms. Even if ponies were willing to give them a try, they wouldn't have worked in the long run, and that's because I based my work on abstract principles. Celestia's been ruling for over a millennium, and I thought I could 'fix' her system." I shook my head and gave them a sheepish grin. "Maybe in a few centuries, I'll be qualified to suggest some minor changes."

Blueblood's expression softened, but remained a bit puzzled.

"Experience is what it's all about. I recently had the chance to run the government of a… well, I suppose it was technically a principality, but it was more of a fiefdom. Anyway, I didn't follow my carefully worked-out principles at all. I had my own selfish agenda, and simply did whatever was necessary in the moment to ensure that my subjects were content and protected. I let them form their own society and laws however they wanted. I just stomped out problems when they came up, and pretty much ignored the place otherwise."

"How nice for you," Chrysalis said.

"That's my point!" I said, leaning forward for emphasis. "It was nice, and it worked really well, even though any outside observer would have concluded that I was a terrible ruler! My ponies were happy and safe."

"What has that got to do with this?" Chrysalis tapped the photo book with a perfectly manicured hooftip.

"I'm getting to that," I said, popping the last of my fritter into my mouth. "So, that experience convinced me that letting ponies find their own way while being protected from exceptional threats is the best way to rule. Micromanagement by enforcing broad conceptual legislation doesn't make anypony happy." I took a sip of my coffee and rushed on, hoping to get my point across before my audience's eyes completely glazed over.

"And that's what I really want. For ponies to be happy. As happy as they can be, anyway. And that includes me. All I have to do is to aid and defend them when they're in trouble. When they're threatened."

"Ah, I see," Chrysalis said. "All that was a pointlessly long-winded way of telling me that you consider me a threat. I suppose these photos of Canterlot's streets littered with the husks of dead changelings are supposed to intimidate me into renouncing my 'evil' plans?"

I shook my head sadly. "No, Chrysalis, those dead changelings are your plans. They're the result of a long campaign that you ultimately win."

"You're mad," she said flatly.

I sighed and drank the last of my coffee. "There are other worlds besides ours. You know the theory and possibly where some of the portals are, I suppose. If you don't, you should fire your spies. Those worlds that run alongside ours are often nearly identical except for a few changes. And most importantly, time often runs at different rates in them."

Chrysalis glanced down at the photos. "Then these were taken in one of those worlds."

"Yes. An alternate Equestria a few decades into our future. You out-maneuvered me there. You won."

Blueblood cleared his throat and said, "I have no idea what you're talking about. This makes no sense!"

Chrysalis and I ignored him.

"This doesn't look like winning to me," she said, her eyes going green and her pupils narrowing to vertical slits.

"All of Equestria was your feast table," I said. "New hives everywhere, building unconquerable armies of drones… Hungry drones. Zebrica and Saddle Arabia fall. Then lands beyond, until—"

Chrysalis held up a hoof to stop me. She looked down at the photos again and then slowly and deliberately closed the book. "Starvation."

"Extinction. As well as the death of any life capable of feeling the smallest bit of affection," I told her.

"No need to hammer it home, Sparkle."

"I can't let that happen here."

"Yes, yes!" She held up a hoof again. "I understand."

"I don't think you do," I said, shaking my head. "I've decided that my purpose in life is to make sure that ponies are happy and safe by ending problems. You can choose to be happy and safe, too." I paused, and looked directly into her eyes. "Or you can choose to be a problem."

Blueblood had finally heard something he clearly understood. "How dare you threaten my wife!"

"Please forgive me," I said to him in a calm and reasonable tone of voice. "I did not mean it as a threat. It was a warning. A final warning to both of you."

He sputtered in outrage and grew red in the face. I had no interest in sitting through an aggrieved tirade, so it was time to play the game by the rules that had been bred in his bones. I drew myself up to my full height and looked down at him. "We thank you for your attendance, Prince Blueblood Polaris. You have Our leave to depart Our Royal Presence."[1]
----------
[1] As polite as this may sound, it is understood by any experienced courtier to mean "get out of my sight before I do something that you will sorely regret."
----------

Ah yes… convenient court protocol. By reminding him that he did not quite stand at the pinnacle of Equestrian royalty, I had undercut him completely. He swallowed his pride, bowed gracefully, backed away the requisite three steps, turned, and departed. Performed in the back room of a doughnut shop, the ritual was more than a little ridiculous.

"Am I also dismissed, Your Majesty?" Chrysalis sneered.

"I have seen many worlds where changelings live alongside ponies in peace and cooperation," I said, dropping the royal façade. "Make this world one of them."

She gave a demure snort and rose to depart.

"Please, Princess Chrysalis,[2] be happy… and safe."
----------
[2] Yes, she was entitled by marriage to Blueblood, but I meant it in a very different sense, and I'm sure she knew it. Without changing her nature, she could be a true princess of Equestria or she could be an alien queen, but not both.
----------

Chrysalis gave me one last look over her shoulder before she left the room. She didn't say anything, but her horn glowed briefly and the book of photographs crumbled into ash.

After she was gone, I got a sudden strong whiff of buttered popcorn. "I think that went well, don't you?" Discord said from behind me.

I didn't even twitch. "I dunno, they didn't seem eager to stay for the party," I said out of the corner of my mouth.

"Ooh, that's right!" Discord said, "The gang should be arriving anytime now!" He held out his lion arm and turned it over so that the wrist was facing me. A full-sized grandfather clock was strapped to it, each number on the clockface replaced with the word "PARTY!" The hands (all seven of them) whirled and twitched like snakes undergoing seizures.

I couldn't help myself: I laughed. "How accurate is that thing? Do I have time for another hazelnut latte before the mindless revelry?"

The little doors above the clock face snapped open and a tiny Discord popped out with a coo-coo. He wore a beret and a pencil-thin black mustache, and held out a steaming cup to me. "Voilà! Madam's caffè latte!" he said in an over-the-top Canterlot accent.

I took a sip without pausing to sniff it or anything. Surprisingly, it wasn't trout-flavored. "Mmmmn… Great coffee, thanks."

"I live to serve!" Discord said, still using the egregious accent and executing an elaborate bow that seemed to require more than the normal three spatial dimensions.

I chuckled and took another sip of my drink. "No you don't. You live to put sticks in the spokes of ponies' lives. You were literally made to mess with us!"

"Maybe I've reformed. Again." He reverted to his default form and then a glowing halo appeared over his head and his eyes—

"Eugh! Don't do that!" I said sticking my tongue out in a show of revulsion. "They look like oily bowling balls!"

He popped the oily bowling balls out of his eye sockets and set them down on the table, shrugging. "Fluttershy loves it when I do the gigantic puppy-eyes thing."

I snorted. "Fluttershy loves you. That's why she tolerates your antics!"

I had taken another couple of sips from my coffee before I realized that Discord hadn't replied. I looked up to discover him studying me carefully.

"What?" I asked.

"She'll take it, won't she?" he asked, nervously tapping his eagle claws on the tabletop. "Your offer of immortality, I mean. She won't—"

"It's her choice," I said. "But yes, I think she will. There will always be stray critters[3] that need her help, and she won't willingly abandon them."
----------
[3] E.g., Cats, dogs, bears, weasels, airships, draconiqui, and the like.
----------

"Yes," Discord said, brightening. "Of course she will!" He cleared his throat and dug deep into one ear, pulling out a live fish. "Sardine for your coffee?"

That was more like it. "Maybe later."

He shrugged, put the fish back into his ear, and cupped his lion paw around the other one. "I think I hear the first guests arriving!"

Sure enough, I heard Joe's gruff voice saying, "Nice to see you again, Sunny Skies! The party's down the hall, in the back room."

I peeked out the door and saw a white pegasus with a soft pink mane and tail and a slate gray unicorn approaching.

"'Sunny Skies?' Really Sister? Does that deceive anypony?" the unicorn said.

"I have successfully used this guise before, Luna," the pegasus replied. "You, yourself, are looking very… nocturnal. Black is a very rare mane color for a mare."

"I am merely following your sterling example, sister. I am certain that Moony McMoonface will serve as a suitable name should anypony ask."

"Please tell me you'll be teleporting back to the palace."

"Hello… girls," I said, grinning.

Luna shook off her disguise and swept me up in a hug with both wings. "Have you convinced the Bug Queen to forgo her evil ways, my dear?"

"It's hard to tell, but I think… uhm… It's hard to think with you nibbling on my ear like that."

"Is it hot in here or is it just me?" Discord said, sweating heavily and fanning himself with a folding lace fan.

Luna sighed and let me escape her embrace.

"I think there's a very good chance I've convinced her. There are three clear signs of a negative reaction, and I'll be watching for them very closely in the coming months." I grinned. "The advantage of foreknowledge."

Celestia, still wearing her disguise, picked up a doughnut and took a dainty bite. "Are you sure you want to take up this responsibility, Twilight?"

"Absolutely," I said, turning to face her. "I've seen where my organizational instincts can lead me when I apply them too broadly, and it's never to a happy place. I'm a good problem-solver, so I'm going to stick with that. I'm going to take care of the little problems that crop up from day to day, and when the big problems show up..." I stomped my hoof hard on the floor. Luna smiled.

I smiled back at her. "The way things usually go, I ought to have plenty of time for personal adventures and selenologic[4] research."
---------
[4] Look it up.
----------

"No, no, no!" came Pinkie Pie's burbly voice from outside the door. "That's lollygagging! You were dilly-dallying!"

"Whatever you say, Pinkie," Rainbow Dash answered her. I could almost hear the eyeroll.

"Brace yourselves," I told everypony in the room.

Sure enough, Pinkie Pie came through the door cannon-first. Things livened up considerably after that.

= = =

The party was a whirl of conversations, games, and magical engineering,[5] but the room was too crowded for dancing.
----------
[5] Moondancer and Starlight Glimmer took over a corner table and scribbled furiously on napkins for well over an hour at one point. I only had time for a glance at their notes, but the transport-adapted related dimensional isochronic system looked promising.
----------

"Well, that's new," Ket whispered in my ear. It was a little before midnight when the two of us returned to the room after a brief stroll outside to chat and exchange intelligence reports with an agent of Queen Csharreee.

"Mn?" My mind was only half on her comment. Across the room, Luna and Minuette were laughing and talking and standing very close to one another.

"Jealousy," Ket said. "I've never felt that from you before."

I snorted. "What? Me, jealous? That's ridiculous!"

"Oh, it's just a little bit, but it's there." The cheeky bug actually smirked at me! "Would you like a big strapping stallion for a little tête-à-tête of your own? See how long it takes Princess Luna to come trotting over?"

I sputtered a bit before I realized Ket was teasing me. I cleared my throat and replied with as much dignity as possible, "I do not play games of that sort!"

She regarded me slyly for a moment. "Well, maybe not. But if I can give you just a tiny bit of advice, I think Luna would be very pleased if you went and interrupted her conversation."

"What? You mean she—" I turned to Ket but she was being dragged away by Pinkie Pie for a game of Mirror Mare.

Luna did seem glad when I crossed the room and practically shoved my head between her and Minuette, and neither mare commented on my close approach to rudeness. I made sure I was never separated from her for long after that, and always gave her a touch as I went by, whether it was a hip-bump, a brush of my tail, or a quick peck on the cheek. It seemed to make her happy.[6]
----------
[6] Late that night, there was an unexpected violent thunderstorm over Canterlot.
----------

= = =

Rarity dragged me aside at one point with a worried, furtive look, and I popped a little privacy bubble over us. "What is it?"

"I hate to ask this of you, Twilight," she said, biting at her lower lip. "It's a rather large favor."

"Let's see… one, two, three… hmn… probably four…" I took a second to enjoy the confused look on her face. "In case you're wondering, I'm counting the times you've saved my life. So… yeah, don't hesitate to ask."

She let her breath out in a not quite sigh. "Oh, darling, that's just something we do for each other!"

I couldn't help smiling. "You're a treasure, Rarity."

She cleared her throat. "Yes. Well, you see, this is about me becoming royalty, so it's… a delicate matter."

I was shocked. I'd offered the improved gem-based immortality to each of my friends. Rarity had immediately accepted, as I expected she would. But for her to ask for her lost alicornhood back was something that completely surprised me.

"I… I would have to ask Celestia and Luna about it," I stalled. "It'll be tricky to pull off, and it might upset the balance of things—"

"Oh yes, I know it will cause trouble, and that's why I hesitated to ask, but dear Xahjir is quite smitten and he's so traditional. He's uncomfortable with an affaire de coeur and insists on making me his sultana, but that means I'll be foreign royalty, and all my business is here in Equestria—"

"Wait, wait, wait!" I held up my hooves while I tried to shift mental gears. "What? Who's Xahjir?"

Rarity blinked. "Oh, That's right. You may not have heard. That's perfectly understandable, darling. You've been… away, and busy with other concerns since your return."

"Enlighten me, please."

"Xahjir is the new Sultan of Marezambique. You know him, darling. He was the Captain of the elite guard."

"The zebra you stabbed?" I gaped at her.

"Oh, piffle!" She waved a hoof dismissively. "It was only a shallow cut on the cheek. It gave him a very dashing scar, I might add."

"But… but wasn't he the seventh or eighth son? How did he get to be sultan?"

Rarity cleared her throat and averted her gaze. "Zebrican successions can be very messy affairs. After Zatar abdicated, Xahjir kept to his duty, making sure the city was safe and peaceful while his brothers… debated the matter among themselves. When the last two of them managed to finish each other off simultaneously, Xahjir was the only heir left."

"And you two…"

"I remained in Marezambique after you departed, to aid in cleaning up. When Xahjir learned I was Silver Mask, he… Well, I think he was more impressed by that than by my wings. We got to be very good friends."

"And he… You…"

She smiled. "'Sultana Rarity' has such a wonderful ring to it, doesn't it?"

I closed my gaping mouth and grinned. "You know something? It really does! Congratulations!"

"Thank you, darling!"

After we shared a hug, I asked, "But what do you need from me? Besides a wedding present, I mean."

Rarity chuckled and then became serious again. "It's the legalities involved. It's all such a tangle, dear, I couldn't begin to describe it! I was hoping you could issue an edict or something that would make me a dual citizen. Otherwise I'm a…" She tapped her lip with a hoof, recalling the exact phrase, no doubt. "'Foreign entity.' I'd have to pay international tariffs on fabric that I shipped from Canterlot to Manehatten, for goodness sake! And that isn't the worst of it! It's all so ridiculous!"

"Don't worry. In a kingdom where changelings can go from invaders to protected species to citizens, anything is possible. I'll have a word with the Minister of State."

"Oh, thank you so much, darling!" She threw herself around my neck for another hug.

"I won't have to cross the ocean every time I want to visit you, will I?"

"Heavens, no! I shall be back and forth all the time. I have my business to attend to and, as wonderful as Xahjir is, he could stand to become a little more cosmopolitan. So, I'm certain you'll see a lot of him as well. He's commissioning a private airship for us so that we can flit about as the whim takes us."

I thought for a second and then raised my eyebrows and put on as innocent a face as I could manage. "But won't you be concerned about pirates?" I asked.

"No," Rarity said, and a grin that was entirely too wicked for such a beautiful mare spread across her face. "No, I won't be worried at all."

= = =

"I have this pesky attachment to technical accuracy, transparency, and honesty," I explained to Applejack. "So, you see, I'm completely unsuited for government."

"Sounds 'bout right. Y'aint got such a terrific track record when you go makin' decisions for other ponies, neither." She said it with a fond smile, but it still stung.

I thunked my tankard of cider down on the table and hung my head. "I am so sorry about that, AJ! I've got a thousand excuses for what I did to you, but I know it was still me…"

She held up a hoof. "Naw, it's okay, Twi. It's fixed now, and ya done apologized 'bout half a hundred times already, I just hope y've learned your lesson."

"Oh believe me, I have!" I really didn't want to stay on the sensitive topic, but Applejack hadn't yet given me an answer. "Have you given any thought to—"

"Yup." She nodded. "I ain't interested in hangin' around for who knows how long. I aim to have a passel o' foals an' then get planted under a nice Golden Delicious sapling to make room for 'em all."

"I'll miss you," I said quietly.

"Ain't gonna happen for donkey's years, so let's not go borrowin' trouble tonight, sugarcube."

"You're a smart pony, Applejack."

"Shucks!" She pushed her hatbrim up and grinned at me. "Comin' from the Princess of Books an' Such, that's a pretty nice compliment."

"And coming from the Princess of World-Shattering Mistakes?"

She shrugged. "Nice enough, I reckon. Leastwise ya can recognize a goof once y'all've landed in it. There's a heap o' ponies who can't."

= = =

"I should have figured it out when I read that gloss of yours in The Princess, " I said. "Where Marechiavelli wrote about losing your influence and inviting anarchy if you're concerned about being good, and that you shouldn't let being good get in the way of your goals, you added a note in the margin that read, 'What if one's goal is goodness?'" I looked up at Celestia and grinned apologetically. "I thought it was trite when I read it, but that was a real glimpse at how you've kept the kingdom going all this time, wasn't it?"

Celestia shrugged and sipped at the tall drink in the frosty glass that Pinkie had given her. "Yet there is merit in the question of whether the goal justifies the methods taken to arrive there."

"But there's hardly been a time when all the ponies didn't love you for wise leadership, so you must have been doing something right."

"The passage of time softens the impact of the mistakes I've made, Twilight," she insisted. "I am not a perfect pony."

"I'sooth, I can vouchsafe her words," Luna said, approaching and lifting one of the little umbrellas out of her sister's drink and tucking it behind one ear. "Have you not read of her duel with the vile pony-eating ogre of the Hayseed Swamp?"

"Yes," I said. "That was one of my favorite stories as a filly! I loved the part where she tracked the ogre to his lair and called out, 'I shall hammer thy evil from this land!'"

Luna chuckled and gave Celestia a look. Celestia rolled her eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"No doubt thy book did not mention what transpired thereafter," Luna said with a sly grin.

I frowned. "They fought and Celestia won. I understand if the book omitted some details, but—"

Luna laughed and said, "The ogre called back to her, 'Never yet has a hammer broken an anvil!' and then he punched her though a mountain!"

"W—what?"

"It took me two days to dig myself out," Celestia grumbled. "The next time we caught up with him, Luna and I snuck up from behind with poisoned halberds. That did the trick."

"'Tis a pity Parliament cannot be dealt with in such a fashion," Luna said, wistfully.

= = =

"Yeah, I was pretty ticked off when I had to miss the Spring Tour," Rainbow Dash said. "Even if Princess Celestia hadn't wanted us to keep out of sight to avoid 'confusing and panicking ponies,' I couldn't have flown in close formation with those freakin' huge wings! I can see why it took you so long to get used to them, Twi!"

"You kept forgetting about your horn, too," Pinkie Pie put in. "Remember that one time you stuck it clear through a palm tree and the bananas—"

"Yeah, yeah," Dash said quickly, waving her to silence. "I'm just glad I'm back to normal and don't have to be a boring princess or anything."

"Hey! Not all princesses are boring!" I huffed.

Rainbow Dash regarded me for a moment and then grinned. "Yeah, maybe. Luna is pretty cool, I guess."

Pinkie gigglesnorted.

I threw up my hooves. "Fine, I'm boring! I guess you won't want to come along on any future adventures, then."

"Hey, now," Dash protested. "Let's not get carried away here! Didja have something in mind?"

"Well…" I thought about all the places in the world I hadn't yet visited, all the peoples I hadn't met. And beyond that, the nearly infinite variety of worlds that were only next door, if a pony knew how to get there. For the first time in a long while, I found myself wearing a smile of unalloyed happiness. "The possibilities are endless," I said.

= = =
=

Author's Note:

And that's all folks! (Well, except for a few extra, slice-o-life chapters HERE, and all the adventures to come.)

Thanks to all my prereaders, PresentPerfect, Jordanis, Princess Woona and statoose!
They did an excellent job, and you have them to thank for getting rid of the typos, mangled sentences, and wonky punctuation that I carefully put into the story.

And thanks very much to all of you who read, up-voted. and left kind comments! As a bonus, here is a map of East Zebrica that appears in the book version:

Comments ( 240 )

oh, my gosh...final Chapter!

I guess I would need to go trough whole story over again, because my memories began to shatter, but I will let you know what I think because I know there were more than just a few things I wanted to mention

So will there be more adventures or is this the end?

Sad to see the ending, but thankful for the read. :twilightsheepish:

SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL FOR THE LOVE OF SANITY SEQUEL!!!!!

OH, this entire story was the best roller coaster ride of events ever to have graced this site!

Congratulations!

Whoa, final chapter? Dang. ...I should go back and reread this from the start, now.

Ah, the final chapter already? Alas. Well, it was good while it lasted!

"making ten time what he"
"times"?

An excellent ending, I think. :)

So, the author make Twilight take part of politic power and than she just come where she begin? Well, except more wise. Yes, I can see Twi will do it. But still without a SEQUEL i'll not tolerate that. And besides that... :rainbowkiss:

So, as we conclude this truly excellent (as per usual - though actually Evil!Twilight may arguably raise this to your best work) third alicorn installment, one can only conclude that, in the fullness of time, we may see:

a) The Cadance Conundrum

b) The Rarity Riddle

c) The Flurry Heart... Um... Er... Ahh...

Dang.


(I had "Pinkie Puzzle" all set up and ready to put on this list too and then she (apparently) wasn't a alicorn...)

The first story will always be the best for me, and I kinda miss the intensity and quality of the Celestia Code. That said, this was a good story, even if the back and forth in the chronology made it a bit confusing for those who read the chapters when they are published.

Rather crafty way to annex Zebrica Twilight got there :trollestia:.

(Also, can't help but think that the party being held in a space unsuitable for dancing with so many guests was very much premeditated, and not necessarily by Twilight).

Dude this was so, so, FUN, to read. I absolutely loved how your adventure stories manage to thread the balance of seriousness and humor in a way that's just right for me. And the magic combat, airships, pirates, romantic details, the rest of the mane 6, Luna & Celestia, aiships... there's so much style in this story it's amazing everything fits.

And final bit of praise, these stories continue to be my favorite depiction of Twilight Sparkle. (And with her having less prominence in the actual show these days, stories like these become even more dear to me.)

Keep being awesome iisaw.

Well, I very much enjoyed this story! Good stuff.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:raritycry:

You are evil, you planned this didn't you? Somehow? Posting this at just the right time so I would only be able to see it was up when checking stuff in the morning, but not have enough time to actually read it before I have to go to work! Now I'm going to be caught in anticipation all day. I hope you are proud of yourself!:raritywink:

This is the final chapter? A little bit too quick for my taste but at least it ended on a proper note so no complaints there :twilightsmile: Hope to see something else from you mate! :pinkiehappy:

7251228 Sweet mother of Celestia... :twilightoops:

Fantastic story! I loved reading these! <3

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

And so it comes to an end. :D Here's to the next one, ye bugger!

I await the sequel.

They just keep getting better and better. I, for one, absolutely cannot wait for the next installment in the grand adventure that The Celestia Code started!

7251620
7251703
7251228
7251180
A sequel will probably have to wait until I've forgotten how much work this was! :ajsleepy: There will be a couple of side stories at least!

7251318
Thank you! (Fix'd!)

7251354
Thank you! The Chrysalis Crisis is also a possibility. :raritywink:

7251386
I'm glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the corrections!

7251460
:rainbowlaugh:

7251487
Thank you very much! :twilightsmile:

7251534
So, so proud. :trollestia:

Geeze, I feel like a terrible fan, the story literally ended before I got around to starting it.

Might binge through it this weekend, though probably in comment-light mode.

7251998
Actually, from the way it's structured, it might be better to read it without week-long breaks between chapters. I look forward to your comments.

Well, that was entirely too much fun! My life is going to be boring again now. :pinkiehappy:

I've done my best to tempt him with sequel notions, folks. We'll just have to see!

So it sounds like all of them but Applejack took the offer of immortality? Is this accurate? I mean, it does make sense, Applejack doesn't usually seem to be the type to want to hang around indefinitely... Still, good read, looking forward to more of your stuff!

7252242
Yup, with a few "for now" answers.

And it's over. Gotta read it again sometime, I have a feeling this last part went too quickly.
Or I just enjoyed it that much.

Whew! Yaaay, this has been a great read/ride, but it has come to a very satisfying conclusion! You're so awesome, iisaw!

Once again, it's a shame I can only upvote stories once.

7251994
You're welcome. :)

This series continues to be amazing and wonderful, and the conclusions are all incredibly satisfying and very neatly done. :twilightsmile:

Continue your excellent work, please, and I'll look forward to whatever else you have to put forward. :moustache:

"The next time we caught up with him, Luna and I snuck up from behind with poisoned harpoons. That did the trick."

reminds of a book called "dragonsbane" where someone killed a dragon by throwing poisoned harpoons at it from above the cave entrance...after several knights died while trying to kill it with swords from horseback. (they all got burned up)

7252819
:rainbowlaugh: That's awesome! Yeah, the charging straight in stuff is for amateurs!

Alright, final chapter, and the big wrap up of the trilogy, has Twilight actually learned her lesson? Has she figured out how not to be a naive, petulant adolescent about things? Has she come to accept that, the world is not perfect, but a 'perfect world' is an idle, impossible fantasy? Will she FINALLY give up on swallowing massive amounts of Dark Magic? Oh, and How's Chryssi's plan to take over Equestria going? And are we going to be meeting Littlepip sometime in this world's future thanks to the whole, starting a war with the Zebra's thing she might have done?

In which Princess Twilight Sparkle takes care of a few loose ends.

Fair enough, almost exactly what I figured the chapter would be, tying up all those dangling plot threads.

May 12th - 14th, 1015

Hmmm, a bit later then I was hoping, but a lot sooner then I had feared. Just long enough for things to have been worked out, the immediate issues addressed, and everypony given time to reflect and understand what happened. So nice balance.

Multiversal Nexus Prime and Pony Joe’s Doughnut Emporium, Canterlot, Equestria

Okay, I DID check the very first page before going to work, just for a kind of peak at what was coming, and when I saw this, I actually thought this was all one location. That Twilight had started her whole "Council of Twilights" type deal, going around finding other version of her, and was using Doughnut Joe's as her base of operations for it for some reason. Because come on, that is JUST bizarre enough to actually make sense in this world.

“Are you certain about this, Twilight?” Celestia asked as I prepared to trigger the warding spells around our universe.

I have the idea Celestia has been asking her this A LOT, about almost everything over the last few months.

Yes. The reflexive feedback will pour more power into the barriers as more force is applied. Enough raw magical strength could overwhelm them, but if we’re faced with an invader capable of that…” I shrugged. “We’ll have to hope we’re more clever than they are.”

Hope somepony has a really bad cold and can go sneeze on them. because them pulling a War of the Worlds and dying to our germs is your only hope.:derpytongue2: So, we know that Twilight can travel to other universes, so this can't be a total block, seal them off forever, what about Shim Shim? Will this block the EQG verse?

I meant, are you certain about locking us away from everywhere else? By your accounts, there are wondrous things in the worlds beyond.

Well, like I said, we know Twi can still travel around, so has to be some kind of way through.

“There are also terrible things out there,” I replied, “and some of them are me.”

Ouch. Wait, has she already done her whole touring the Multi-verse thing? Just, went right to it and decided, "Buck No!" See,s after the whole last few months, she'd want time to relax before doing something like that. The last chapter WAS in chronological order with this and the one before?

“It won’t be detectable from outside, but it will give us a way to open a lateral portal whenever we wish. Whenever three of us agree to do so, anyway.”

Okay, that actually makes a lot of sense, they can leave if they want, but requires a majority of them to agree on it. Still, what about Shim Shim? So yeah, I don't see why Tia would be concerned if it's that easy to go look around when they want.

“No other last minute changes?” Luna said, with a gentle, teasing smile.

Wait, the adding a lock was a last minute change? Or other ideas pop into her head?

We've repaired and reinforced all the secondary systems, and the Harmony Matrix is reset and adjusted for broader operating parameters. Yep, I think that about covers it.

OHHHH She's talking about to the Wheel of the Earth, fix all the stuff that got messed up by trying to alter the program from the inside and without the full view. Also, so, They are back to being connected to the Elements? And, made them a bit less, random? Once again still want to know exactly what went on with those and why. Unless this story says otherwise directly, I'm still taking it as "The Elements" didn't judge a damn thing, and it was all based on THEM not feeling that they were worthy.

Believe it or not, my desire to meddle in the basic structure of the universe has pretty much died.

Finally. Figured out how complicated that can be?

“The folk of Twilight Town have petitioned the Equestrian crown for return of their—and I quote—’dark goddess.’”

Well... this is going to be awkward....... :twilightoops: Also, so, they fixed whatever was hiding that area? Brought it back to being 'normal'?

those fine ponies will be clamoring for the most inappropriate sort of leader for years to come, Twilight Sparkle. You have set their expectations of government quite high.

Okay, having a bit of trouble parsing this sentence. She rely wasn't THAT inappropriate of a leader, she did protect them, didn't hurt them... permanently... yes she was essentially a dictator, but still took care of them. She wasn't the nicest, but hardly that bad, and set their expectations that high? She, really didn't do a whole lot. Just, I kind of think I get the idea but, like I said, having issues parsing just what Tia meant.

“The Bug Queen is not half the villainess thou art!”

:rainbowlaugh: True, Bug Queen could only HOPE to get even a fraction of you level villainy when you really go for it.

“Gee, thanks,”

Well, it is really nice they've moved on to the point they can joke about it like this. Not forget it, but not get all over emotional either, realize it was a mistake, and use the jokes to remind each other.... or mostly just Twilight, to be cautious, and just, yeah I love this.

despite the fact that ponies now think that the Undiscovered West was always there and remained unexplored only because nopony ever bothered, the appearance of a huge piece of new territory will probably require a lot of hooves-on attention

Okay, so they 'fixed' whatever had been keeping it hidden. Including.... full out Cosmic Retconning it into having always been there? At least as far as anypony knows? Well, to quote Sir Pterry "Of course it's always been there. But had it always been there yesterday?"

“Was all that work really just to provide a refuge from Discord?”

:pinkiegasp: Huh... well, was not expecting THAT. I was sure it would have ended up being Starswirl. Or, was it him? Just for that reason? Would explain why they were so all "Kill the Deceiver" so quickly. And, yeah, would be nice to have a place to hide from him. Also explains just how paranoid it got about keeping it hidden.

“Yes, and it would have been much more clever if I had exempted myself from the spell,”

:facehoof::facehoof::facehoof: See, we needed more like THIS earlier, flat out cases of making clear, yeah she bucks up too, and showing them to us, rather then a lot of just, Twilight saying how she's made so many mistakes. Have a few more of these to make it more clear. And as mistakes go, it's not Twi's level of nearly ending the world, but... making a perfect safe place.. and then forgetting all about it..... yeah that is up there.

“It was to ensure that Discord could never get the secret from you, wasn’t it? You might have become trapped forever in his madhouse, but you still gave your subjects the possibility of escape.”

Granted this ALSO makes perfect sense. That, she would not have made it for herself, but to give some of her little ones a safe harbor.

“I don’t recall. Memory spells are like that.”

:rainbowlaugh: Well, it does fit her. Either way. She was a lot younger back then.

Chrysalis poked

And time for some wrapping up with the Bug Queen.

“Princess Celestia offered me the use of a room in the palace, but I wanted this get-together to be more cozy and informal.”

:rainbowlaugh: Twi is learning how to be a Troll. Celestia is rubbing off on her again. And yes the thought of Chryssi here, like this..... yeah it is hilarious. And you know she hates it.

An informal meeting hardly necessitates rubbing shoulders with the jumentous rabble, Princess. I’d take it as a great favor if we could conclude our business as quickly as possible.

Buck you asshole. I hope Chryssi's plans end up backfiring so badly that you end up a bitless pauper begging in the streets.

“You know that I’ve been away for quite a while—”

So her trip was actually at the right time... huh, was NOT expecting that.

I thought you two might like to look at some of the pictures I took while I was travelling.

She brought them here.... to show them her vacation photos! Freaking brilliant torture, yes she is learning much from Trollestia. Okay yeah I know it's more likely about all the ways they screw up in other verse's or other things to scare them into not trying shit.

“Still not joking,”

And that is what makes this scene all the more hilarious and awesome.

savoring the light hazelnut flavor.

Hazelnut isn't bad, but prefer French Vanilla.

Some pathetic attempt to insult my wife?

Is that from a Chryssilight verse? Their wedding photo or something? that would be hilarious.

“Sit down, Prince,” I said. When he didn’t, I quietly added, “I’m not asking.”

OHHHHHH Buck yes, I am LOVING this character development from Twilight, you can tell she's grown up a bit. It hasn't changed who she is, but she's already clearly more confident and less up her own ass with anxieties about some things. Able to calmly take charge and exert her authority, without over doing it. Very good start on the road to maturing into a truly amazing Princess. (I mean, even MORE amazing)

We’ll, you’ll be happy to know

HUZZAH I HAVE FOUNDETH A TYPO!

that I’ve realized that I was dead wrong about all those reforms

Well about time, but in what way specifically did you realize this? I mean, there are a lot of ways that could still go.

and that’s because I based my work on abstract principles.

Ah, the, "treating life like a simple math equation, when it is far to complex for that." version of all wrong, good good, the most logical starting point and glad to see she had realized that....... but again would have been better to actually SEE her realize this.

Celestia's been ruling for over a millennium, and I thought I could 'fix' her system." I shook my head and gave them a sheepish grin. "Maybe in a few centuries, I'll be qualified to suggest some minor changes."

Also, you finally realized that Celestia DOES know what the hell she's doing. Yes she's not perfect, but she knows a whole buck of a lot more then you do about this stuff. And, yes loving the development so far.

Anyway, I didn’t follow my carefully worked-out principles at all. I had my own selfish agenda, and simply did whatever was necessary in the moment to ensure that my subjects were content and protected. I let them form their own society and laws however they wanted. I just stomped out problems when they came up, and pretty much ignored the place otherwise.

Well, that did kind of work. But it is the type of deal that only works in a small, isolated environment like that, and only for so long. Only so far that type pf government can go.

“It was nice, and it worked really well, even though any outside observer would have concluded that I was a terrible ruler! My ponies were happy and safe.”

Not really. Outside observer here and, yeah I think you did a pretty decent job. You could easily have been far far worse. Enslaved them, forced them to work for you every waking moment, been far more cruel. Yes it wasn't perfect but, it really wasn't half bad either.

So, that experience convinced me that letting ponies find their own way while being protected from exceptional threats is the best way to rule.

Kind of like what Celestia has been doing. With maybe a few nudges here and there to help other things along and look out for the benefit of some of her subjects that might get overlooked or something.

All I have to do is defend them when they’re in trouble. When they’re threatened.

Like say.. by you two. Also, I'd say you should do a LITTLE more then that. Help settle disputes, give them guidance, other things that would help. But only guide, not push, and only when either they come to you, or you can see that there is no chance of things being solved without you and the conflict is getting worse.

I suppose these photos of Canterlot’s streets littered with the husks of dead changelings are supposed to intimidate me into renouncing my ‘evil’ plans?

Nope, just a reminder of how badly you got your flanked kicked the last time you messed with her ponies, and that was before she grew up and got SERIOUS about it. Also, well, yeah... that is quite the image... so Universe where she tried something and got squashed?

“No, Chrysalis, those dead changelings are your plans. They’re the result of a long campaign that you ultimately win.”

:pinkiegasp: Okay did NOT see that coming..... they get so powerful, they essentially kill off all their 'food' and end up starving to death?

If you don’t, you should fire your spies.

And flashback two stories to "Chrysalis needs to get some better minions."

Hungry drones. Zebrica and Saddle Arabia fall. Then lands beyond, until—”

Yup, overdid it a bit there Chryssi.

“Starvation.”

Bingo.

“No need to hammer it home, Sparkle.”

No, no, I think she needs a few more strokes. Maybe with an actual hammer to make sure it sinks in.

I’ve decided that my purpose in life is to make sure that ponies are happy and safe by ending problems. You can choose to be happy and safe, too." I paused, and looked directly into her eyes. "Or you can choose to be a problem.”

Oh... shit... I don't think Twilight has been this balls out terrifying since that Death Glare she gave to Tirak. She put a LOT of points into intimidate... And, all while just, being calm, normal. Just, a simple statement of fact, and yeah, it is terrifying for just how you KNOW she WILL follow through on this, without hesitation or pity. No maneuvering, no games, no playing around..... I freaking love this!

“How dare you threaten my lady wife!”

:facehoof: She did not marry him for his brains...... Also "lady wife" wow that is... awkward wording. Ohh this is going to be good.

I did not mean it as a threat.

"It was a promise"

It was a warning. A final warning to both of you.

That works too.

Prince Blueblood Polaris. You have Our leave to depart Our Royal Presence.

Fancy speak for Get the buck out of my sight you pathetic sack of shit. While also being a blatant remind that, she outranks the fuck out of him.

“get out of my sight before I do something that you will sorely regret.”

I was close enough.

By reminding him that he did not quite stand at the pinnacle of Equestrian royalty, I had undercut him completely.

And called this one. Now he just needs to step on a rake and have it leap up to hit him in the nuts on the way out.

“I have seen many worlds where changelings live alongside ponies in peace and cooperation

YAY!!!!! The story FINALLY gets to this point and decides which it is. THANK YOU!!!!!!! Yes the issue is NOT Changelings, at all. It is Cheese Legs.

“Make this world one of them.”

Or you will not be part of it.

but I meant it in a very different sense, and I’m sure she knew it

Oh... oh OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:raritystarry: Oh damn that... that is GOOD Twilight, remind her who she actually is, that.... try to.... OHHHHHHHH damn I am loving this! Give her the threat, let her know the consequences of screwing around..... and then offer an olive branch, make clear, you really are willing to work WITH her and.. and just...... try to get her to WANT to...... damn that is bucking amazing!

She could be a true princess of Equestria or an alien queen, but not both.

...... Until this.... is this another "She has to change who and what she is" type deal? Or just a, more general, stop seeing herself as "Queen of the Changelings" And do so as a Princess of Equestria, who just happens to be a Changeling? The first one, do I even need to go on about how WRONG I think that is at this point? The second option... oh holy bucking Tartarus, SO MUCH YES! DO WANT! Granted, she still needs to stay a conniving, sneaky, glorious bitch, but now being Equestria's conniving, sneaky, glorious bitch.

“The gang should be arriving anytime now!”

And good, there was a lot of chapter left, and no other locations provided. Also, really need to address things with them.

A full-sized grandfather clock was strapped to it, each number on the clockface replaced with the word “PARTY!” The hands (all seven of them) whirled and twitched like snakes undergoing seizures.

:rainbowlaugh: You really do do amazing at making Discords more visual based gags work, SO damn well.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t trout-flavored.

He's a troll yes, but, well, it's clear hes grown a soft spot for you. Also he is likely bucking terrified of pissing you off anymore.

“Maybe I’ve reformed. Again.”

Maybe a bit, but not THAT much, you still like to have fun.

when I do the gigantic puppy-eyes thing.

\
Took me like three read throughs to get just what was going on here.

Fluttershy likes you.

Twilight, admit it, you do too. A little.

“She’ll take it, won’t she?” he asked, nervously tapping his eagle claws on the tabletop. “Your offer of immortality, I mean. She won’t—”

Oh....oh... owwwwwwwww.... and with a single line. Just... Just... owww and yet, oh that was good. So she can and will still be able to do that for them? That's.. actually kind of good. And, of course he'd be worried about that, and, just.. losing her.. and.... just, DAMN you are good, so much emotion, so much meaning, all in such a simple line.....:pinkiesad2:

“It’s her choice,” I said. “But yes, I think she will. There will always be stray critters[3] that need her help, and she won’t willingly abandon them.”

Or her friends, and, really, The only one I could really see rejecting the idea would be AJ, the whole family thing, and not wanting to outlive all of them, and yet at the same time.... if it meant her friends losing her... I could see her doing it if the rest agree to it. Especially if you fixed that little "No getting knocked up" glitch. (Granted I could see Rarity insisting on keeping it in.) And, please say yes......

Nice to see you again, Sunny Skies!

1. Hi Tia.
2. You know he knows who that is.

I am certain that Moony McMoonface will serve as a suitable name should anypony ask.

:rainbowlaugh: Also, oh how I wish the earlier stores had more of this, it's just, so amazing to see the two of them, actually behaving like sisters.

It’s hard to tell, but I think… uhm… It’s hard to think with you nibbling on my ear like that.

Luna.... wait till later to start the private party. Also, well, I'm thinking it's at least an even chance she will.

There are three clear signs of a negative reaction, and I’ll be watching for them very closely in the coming months.

Wait, what ones? Ummm, her breeding them more? A few take over and replacements? Seriously what signs? And this something you deduced?

“The advantage of foreknowledge.”

Oh, right knowing how she acted in 'verses she stayed evil in.

“Are you sure you want to take up this responsibility, Twilight?”

After how badly you've been trying to get rid of those lately... but yes all part of her growing up.

I’m a good problem-solver, so I’m going to stick with that. I'm going to take care of the little problems that crop up from day to day, and when the big problems show up...” I stomped my hoof hard on the floor. Luna smiled.

Yup, Luna is rubbing off on her, and, that.. that does seem like the best case for her. Focus on her strengths, and don't go overboard.

Look it up.

Oh buck you Twilight, and you to story................

..........:facehoof::rainbowlaugh: Okay Twilight well played... very VERY well played there.

Moondancer and Starlight Glimmer took over a corner table and scribbled furiously on napkins for well over an hour at one point. I only had time for a glance at their notes, but the transport-adapted related dimensional isochronic system looked promising.

Of course Twilight would have a nerd party as well. that is to awesome not to... to... wait....

"transport-adapted related dimensional isochronic system "

............................................................:rainbowlaugh: oh fuck YES! Very, VERY smooth story.

exchange intelligence reports with an agent of Queen Csharreee.

So Ket's gone back to working for her? Or, still with Twi and just along for the exchange?

“Jealousy,” Ket said. “I’ve never felt that from you before.”

Okay Twilight, we got over ONE major issue, do not add another. You know Luna only deems you worthy of her.

“What? Me, jealous? That’s ridiculous!”

Twilight, this is a being whose entire physiology is based around dealing with others emotions. He knows what she is talking about.

“Would you like a big strapping stallion for a little tête-à-tête of your own? See how long it takes Princess Luna to come trotting over?”

Or to invite him to join in a bit of fun?

dragged away by Pinkie Pie for a game of Mirror Mare

I'm betting that is something Pinkie Invented, JUST for playing with Changelings.

Late that night, there was an unexpected violent thunderstorm over Canterlot.

:raritywink:

"In case you're wondering, I'm counting the times you've saved my life. So… yeah, don't hesitate to ask."

Yes Rarity is best Pony Sky Pirate.

"Yes. Well, you see, this is about me becoming royalty, so it's… a delicate matter."

Ah so, going along with this thing, and they WOULD all be elevated to Princess status if they did?

Rarity had immediately accepted, as I expected she would.

Okay, one down, and if one did it, yeah the rest will come around and accept.

But for her to ask for her lost alicornhood back was something that completely surprised me.

Ah so you worked out a way to do it without making them Alicorns. That is.. actually likely a good thing.... Princess Pinkie Pie?................. Staring into Cthul'hu's hemorrhoid ridden anal cavity would be less sanity rending and mind searing then that concept would end up.

I would have to ask Celestia and Luna about it," I stalled. "It'll be tricky to pull off, and it might upset the balance of things—"

True, and also, good idea, check with them... though what about Cadance Doesn't the other alicorn get a vote?

but dear Xahjir is quite smitten and he's so traditional.

She wants to hook up with the Zebra Prince.... why am I not the least bit surprised. Granted, umm, you do know you'll outlive him right? Just to be sure?

but that means I'll be foreign royalty, and all my business is here in Equestria—

All kinds of pesky laws that being an Equestrian Princess as well would solve? that is... that is definitely not a reason for wanting this I would ever have seen coming. And do they know they will be getting an immortal.... well no they don't this just came up. Still, that's quite a ways away to stay in touch, still, betting it means plenty of closer ties to the nation and a lot of formal visits.

He was the Captain of the elite guard.

Like I said, this one... I really am not that surprised.

"The zebra you stabbed?"

Hey hey hey, she did NOT... it's just a shallow cut, not a stab. She did also kind of make him fall down a flight of stairs.

It was only a shallow cut on the cheek. It gave him a very dashing scar, I might add.

See?

to aid in cleaning up.

Oh which there was a LOT.

Well, I think he was more impressed by that than by my wings.

You do make quite the impression.

I was hoping you could issue an edict or something that would make me a dual citizen. Otherwise I'm a…

Oh, she WASN'T asking to be made an alicorn, just for some red tape cutting. Makes sense.

I shall be back and forth all the time. I have my business to attend to and, as wonderful as Xahjir is, he could stand to become a little more cosmopolitan. So, I'm certain you'll see a lot of him as well.

Saw that coming.

"I have this pesky attachment to technical accuracy, transparency, and honesty," I explained to Applejack. "So, you see, I'm completely unsuited for government."

Yeah... more or less.

I just hope y've learned your lesson.

Well it does seem to have worked.... this time.

"I ain't interested in hangin' around for who knows how long. I aim to have a passel o' foals an' then get planted under a nice Golden Delicious sapling to make room for 'em all."

:pinkiesad2: But, I did kind of see this one coming. Twi did find a way to fix the no foals thing? Right?

you added a note in the margin that read, 'What if one's goal is goodness?'

Ohhhhh very nice Tia.

"I thought it was trite when I read it, but that was a real glimpse at how you've kept the kingdom going all this time, wasn't it?"

Yes, yes it was.

"Yet there is merit in the question of whether the goal justifies the methods taken to arrive there."

Direct philosophy talk between these two? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE YES!!!! I have been wanting this for SO LONG in this series!

"I am not a perfect pony."

No, but you never stop trying to do what is best for all your little ones, simply out of love for them. You aren't perfect, but you are incredible.

"The ogre called back to her, 'Never yet has a hammer broken an anvil!' and then he punched her though a mountain!"

"W—what?"

BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

"'Tis a pity parliament cannot be dealt with in such a fashion," Luna said, wistfully.

Awww, no more philosophy?

Even if Princess Celestia hadn't wanted us to keep out of sight to avoid 'confusing and panicking ponies,'

Hmm that makes sense, but, how the bucking hell did you keep ALICORN PINKIE PIE! Contained?

"Remember that one time you stuck it clear through a palm tree and the bananas—"

Oh gave them a nice tropical vacation to enjoy? Not bad. Though AJ likely went stir crazy.

“The possibilities are endless,” I said.

And a great way to end this... well.. mostly.. still some questions.. okay one big one, what about the other Mane 6? Are they taking the Gems? Like I said, I can see AJ to wanting to, but the rest? Why wouldn't they? And, maybe AJ to later on.

Really what more can I say, that ending was just amazing, Twilight really has grown, it's clear she's made a lot of changes and just, I freaking LOVE her new self. Just, yes the growth was.... holy damn I love this last chapter Twilight SO much.


BUUUUT One issue, more a reiteration of a previous one.... we really REALLY should have actually SEEN her doing this growth, seen her come to this realization. At least the start of it. Not just told it happened, but actually SEE it. See that moment where it clicked, where she began to move past her issues. Maybe not the whole way, but, see something about her actually starting on it.

Just, the same thing I said last time, there really really should have been some of the internal issues dealt with, addressed, and had Twilight have some clear moment of realization, some resolution to her internal conflict during the actual climax of the story, not just the (Still freaking epic) external conflict. And I feel that even more now, due to just how, damn GOOD her growth has been here. I can see how she did it, I can understand the logic of it, but, It just feels a little weak to go from well like she was, to this, without any actual showing that progress directly. It, kind of spoils some of the emotional torque of the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong I still LOVE this, and it does all work, all make sense, it is great, but.. doing it like that, adding that, it would have made everything just so much more powerful and meaningful. The logic works, but the emotion torque slips a bit. It could have taken it from really damned great, to freaking incredible.

And yes MOAR!!! I so want to see where this Twilight goes, but yes I get tired, need a break, and yes Side stories PLEASE! This whole verse you've created is just so amazing, I want whatever you are willing to share about it.

7251413 Hmmm, I'm a bit torn. I do think the first one has the slightly stronger overall everything, is the most well put together, The first one is really good has the fewest issues. But this one is the more powerful in the overall story it is telling. I'd say, Code has my favorite writing in the series, Enigma has my favorite story.
7251487

I absolutely loved how your adventure stories manage to thread the balance of seriousness and humor in a way that's just right for me.

Seconding this. It really is one of the facets I love best about your writing.
7252312 Wait, so the rest DID take it? Well that's good to know. And 'For now?" Well, yeah they could just.. end up with all the baggage immortality brings and want to just move on..... but not for a long long time. Still, maybe AJ will come around in time.

Oh also, one other random thought, she mention resetting the Harmony Matrix with wider parameters, meaning, even iff it wasn't a case of "They did not feel themselves worthy" it, also wasn't a case of the system "Judging" them, it was totally neutral, in fact it not being able to judge was what caused the problem in the first place. The programmed "What is a good pony" was to ridged, so actions like "Banish your sister to the Moon" are rendered as "Bad" because the 'software' was unable to render the context of that action to see how it was not actually bad. It just saw Celestia turn on Luna. Not being able to get 'why'.

7252999

Well, to quote Sir Pterry "Of course it's always been there. But had it always been there yesterday?"

That's perfect! Sir Pterry was a wise man.

Or just a, more general, stop seeing herself as "Queen of the Changelings" And do so as a Princess of Equestria, who just happens to be a Changeling?

That one.

I'm betting that is something Pinkie Invented, JUST for playing with Changelings.

And you'd be right!

Wait, so the rest DID take it?

Yep. Twi made sure it was their willing choice, revocable if they wished.

7253137 Yes, yes he was. And he truly was an absolute MASTER at the craft of writing, able to make the simplest line carry so much emotion, so much meaning. To tell stories that, were at once very simple, and yet, so complex and emotional......

And, so YAY! Twilight's friends will stick around.. definitely good for the future of Equestria. With them around to keep her balanced, to help her... there is a reason the Castle of Harmony has seven thrones. While you've taken Twilight on an amazing journey, and she has grown much, has become a much more mature, responsible, and wise Pony for the trip. Has become a better pony. Stronger, better able to lead and care for her little ponies. She really is only at her strongest when she is with her friends. It is, ultimately, the single biggest mistake of all of them that led to the Wastelands of Fallout Equestria. Dividing the Mane 6, giving them each their own, separate tasks and jobs, rather then keeping them working as a group.

And it's.. it's just good to know for her, that she won't lose them, not by forcing them to stay, but because they WANT to stay. It's just.... it is incredibly moving, so powerful, so GOOD. And even if AJ never does take to the idea, never does take the offer.... I am sure there will always be an Apple on that throne.

I know I said it in PM, but, just here to, for the public record. iisaw... thank you, thank you for such amazing, wonderful, engaging, touching, hilarious, and all around amazing stories. And here' hoping for plenty more to come.

7253189
Thank you very much! :twilightsmile: I don't think i could stop writing if I tried.

7253212

Best guy, right here.

999999999/999

Also, I'm worried about a certain Celestia breaking in.

Ah well, at least she'll have an interesting bet.

I haven't even clicked on the new chapter yet. I saw an update. Then I saw that green box on the bottom.

This is it. The time has come. I know not if I am ready. But I shall descend into The Enigma one last time. To face the beginning of the end, and the end of the beginning….

A fitting finale for this fantastic story. Funny that it always ends with a party. I got some pretty big You Can Fight Fate vibes from this chapter, despite not seeing any references. It's a bizzare party, but it's an awesome kind of weird.

Thank you greatly for the ride, iisaw. I hope to see many more!

7254254 Rarity is certainly best Pony Sky Pirate. We need a spin off story about her adventures! Or even better, about the even more epic and exaggerated stories we know will have sprung up. Maybe even a full in 'verse book series, it could be the next Daring Do!

7254388

Just because someone actually is a parasite, it doesn't mean they like being described as such.

True, though my main issue with that line is more this story has already made clear that Changelings are not inherently parasites. Yes they can be, but they are also perfectly able to form symbiotic relationships with ponies as well.

And yes, this is all Rarities fault. Good think she makes up for it by being so awesome at being a Sky-Pirate.

7254020
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile: I love Eakin's stuff, but didn't put in a reference here. I've got to go back and read that trilogy again.

7254254
7254329
Silver Mask and the Anvil of the Moon. :raritywink: It could happen.

7254388
It's weird. Swashbuckling Rarity came out of nowhere. She was just... y'know Rarity; I turned my back for a second and she was kicking ass all over the place. I'm gonna have to write a blog post about how characters can unexpectedly take over .

Wooo it's finally complete! Now I can marathon it all without worrying about timeline jumps and stuff. Whee!

While it was a good story, I found it kinda confusing in how it was organized. Honestly, it kinda felt disorganized. The first twofics followed a linear timeline, while this one seemed to jump around a lot.

That being said, it was still good.

CCC

Great ending! I really enjoyed it. Now I have to wonder how many other parallel worlds have also locked themselves away...

7257158
Lovin' the play-by-play comments! :twilightsmile:

Someone make this author an alicorn,

Login or register to comment