• Published 8th Jul 2015
  • 7,646 Views, 274 Comments

Y'allin' - shortskirtsandexplosions



At a royal invitation, Applejack refers to a single foreign dignitary as "Y'all," and it blows up all of Equestria. Well, maybe not, but Twilight Sparkle is no less frazzled about it.

  • ...
19
 274
 7,646

n'

Rarity looked up from where she sat in the room, surrounded by towering books. “Hmmm? Back so soon?” She finished adjusting the hem of Twilight's new dress. “I trust it went well?”

“How could it not?” Twilight remarked, shuffling forward with a slight yawn. “She's Applejack. Honestly... why do I get so worked up over the littlest of things?”

Rarity hummed a breathy chuckle. “Well, if that isn't the question of the century, darling?”

“I just... told her how I felt, and the rest was like apple-scented clockwork.” Twilight sighed. One by one, she lifted the books off the floor and shelved them along the walls of the Palace library. “Three days... I obsessed over this nonsense for three days!” She gnashed her teeth. “What kind of a Princess of Friendship am I if I can't just open up to my closest companions about things?”

“You're the best kind of Princess, Twilight,” Rarity said. “Cautious, considerate, and ever-so-graceful.” She bore an elegant smile as she folded the pretty dress up once more. “You shouldn't hate yourself for the occasional over-exuberant thought process. After all, you have the not-so-enviable task of balancing companionship with Equestria's general well-being. Surely, that can't be an easy task.”

“And you know... in the end... there's nothing quite so terrible about 'y'all,'” Twilight said. She shook her head with a delightful giggle. “Rarity, from now on, I promise not to get so worked up over grammatical flubs ever again.”

“Oh...?”

Twilight crossed her heart. “Pinkie Pie Swear.” She shelved the last of the books, gazing off with a determined smile. “The next time I hear something spoken in an incorrect or obtuse fashion, I'm just going to take a calm breath and... let it be. It's absolutely nothing to second-guess friendship merit over. Don't you agree?”

“Oh, absolutely, darling.” Rarity slid the dress into its ornate box, then tied a ribbon around it. “Irregardless, a certain modicum of decency wouldn't hurt one's vocabulary.” With a delightful sigh, she spun about and smiled at Twilight. “So... your Highness... shall we embark to Sugarcube Corner?”

Twilight stood in place, shaking all over.

“Uhm...” Rarity tilted her head to the side. “...Twilight?”

The alicorn's teeth gritted. Veins popped in her neck while her horn glowed brighter and brighter to the point of sizzling.

“Are... are you quite alright, darling—?”

POWWWWWW! A wave of books, paper, and crystalline debris exploded in the unicorn's general direction.

Comments ( 130 )

Oh Rarity, you silly goose. You were doing so well! :rainbowlaugh:

'Cuz I'm y'allin', straight ballin',
with a flick of my hoof, every apple on the tree is fallin',
'cuz there ain't no stallin' my callin'
got the colts straight fawnin' over my bottom,
But I don't pay them no attention, and oh, should I mention
I'm all about the money and the carts with suspension
Bouncin', waitin' for the fly boy with the smile,
Take him to the ground, roll in the hay for a while, til then
I'll roll a fool under my shoes with a kick and a wink,
make ya take a dive in the drink, don't even think
that you can stand my swag and flow cuz yo...

I'm straight y'allin.

Nice little fanfic. I always loved Applejack in your stories - she's just so sweet and lovable!

“So... your Highness... shall we embark to Sugarcube Corner?”

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Okay, I can understand your wanting to end this story on a punchline, but seriously, if this were all it took to set her off, Luna Eclipsed would have turned into The Hanging of Twilight Sparkle before the first commercial break. 'm jus' sayin'. :applejackunsure:

Sadly, the Royal English Academy couldn't get people to correct their ways, and added "irregardless" as an official word. :fluttercry:

Even before I read, thumbs up for the cover:rainbowlaugh:

Most entertaining, especially that ending. Oh, Rarity. A lady should know better.

Thank you for it, Skirts.

6181601

Actually, pretty sure Twilight was mentally imploding over:

Irregardless, a certain modicum of decency wouldn't hurt one's vocabulary.”

It took me a moment too; It gets a bit lost since Rarity/we don't see Twilight's reaction until after Rarity's second line.

Irregardless

Saw it coming immediately.

I have horrid grammar as anyone who knows me can attest. And I definitely have a friend like Twilight, that tries to correct me.

Awesome story.

At least Applejack never pronounced you all as ya'll.

Exceptionally well written. All characters were within their personalities, and you could tell who was speaking simply based on their speech patterns.

Well done!

“Oh, absolutely, darling.” Rarity slid the dress into its ornate box, then tied a ribbon around it. “Irregardless,

Heh. Being a Southerner, I can attest that despite what any fancy-schmancy grammar professor may tell you, there ain't no "official" usage of the word y'all. I've used it for singular and plural. It's all about the vernacular, ya dig?

Still, I really liked this. Simple and to the point, and it properly recognized Applejack as Best Pony. Great Job, Skirts.

6181519
Is that your own freestyle creation, or an adaptation of existing lyrics?

6181912

Bit of both. One line is borrowed from Snoop Dog, but the rest is me.

I only wanted to visit to check on story updates.

Irregardless, I now have a new story in my Favourites.

This was delightful. Short sweet and adorable.
Characterization was as fun as ever, of course, and Applejack is definitely best pony.
Good show.

That conclusion... Are we going to get a Twilight Brain Implosion Mark 2?

And after that, Applejack was no longer allowed to talk when foreign dignitaries were present

Maybe it's like the Royal "We"... an honorary plural? :applejackconfused:

Finally, skirts lives up to the second part of their name! :pinkiecrazy: *squee*

Thanks for putting the apostrophe in the right place. Every time someone types out "ya'll", a puppy dies.

6182654
But isn't that the glorious thing about a growing language? That new words are always being invented. I could be wrong, after all I dropped out of Grammar Nazi class.

This sounds like an alexmagnet story idea.

I'm a partial Grammar Nazi, and I still found Twilight's reaction over grammar cringe-worthy...

Still though, good read. Enjoyable. Adorable. Adorkable.

6182713

Y'all = "You all."
Ya'll = "You will."

:pinkiehappy:

Irregardless: Without a lack of regard.

Irregardless

:trixieshiftleft:

We can't afford any random linguistic hiccups during our routine adventures!”
“And why not?”
“Because... because explosions!” Twilight's voice cracked. “That's why!”

Sounds like a Micheal Bay movie.

Heh, I should send this story to a friend of mine. Every time I use 'irregardless' her eye gets all twitchy... and that just makes me want to use portmanteau's even more than hyperforeignisms.

Come on guys, you don't just throw out a tool in your tool box because it looks funny. There's a place and a use for "y'all, " and "irregardless," even if they are twisted grammatical contraptions that only Frankenstein would be proud of.

Y'all did a good job with this story, Skirts. :ajsmug:

This was a great, totally adorkable story! I really love the way Twilight can let herself get so caught up in something and how her friends bring her back down to earth. I liked Spikes' reaction, too...just gotta go, now!

And of course, as always.....Applejack is best pony!

6183514 Well...the show is written and voiced by Canadians.

Don't take my complaint too seriously. I'm just obsessive-compulsive like Twilight and use "y'all" regularly.

Comment posted by Captain_Stallion deleted Jul 9th, 2015

Alright time for a Texan to explain about Y'all and it's forms. It's going to hurt your head but it will be okay.

Y'all is a special word in the English language since it is a singular and plural possessive.
Meaning you can use Y'all when addressing a single person or up to a group of 4 - 6 people (depending on your opinion on how many people is the max)

When referring to more than the amount above you use "All Y'all." which is good for large groups of people. However when dealing with very large groups All Y'all doesn't apply, unless you're familiar with everyone.

When dealing with very large ground the proper term to use is "All Y'alls." This covers anything from 50 people to 3000+ people. And it can overlap with "All Y'all" in size when on the lower end.

Y'alls is not a word nor can it be used on its own. Y'all does not have a plural so when referring to a large group you can't use "Y'alls"

As for the title Y'allin I have never heard that ever before. I'd they the author was trying to make an adverb for someone who says Y'all a lot. If I were to make a fake adverb then I would of chose " Y'alling"

Anyway hope this clears up everything about Y'all. It is a very tricky word to use properly and unless you came from the south of the United States you wouldn't know. Unfortunately many people on here write using it incorrectly.

I figured y'all was in the same situation as 'they' when used as a singular. Technically incorrect but common usage overpowers the technicality as with the pronunciation of gif.
I feel Twilight's reaction may actually be partly justified, though of course it wouldn't be Twilight if she didn't go overboard.

6183600

As for the title Y'allin I have never heard that ever before. I'd they the author was trying to make an adverb for someone who says Y'all a lot. If I were to make a fake adverb then I would of chose " Y'alling"

I thought it was a play on words for "ballin'". I'm not sure of the exact use of the term but it seemed to fit.

6183583 Why does everyone spell Luna wrong...?

6183600 Finally another southern brony

Ya'll gotta love 'em. Irregardles of all ya'll's thoughts.

:ajsmug:

6183841

Yay someone used Y'all the right way

6183600 Yep. Regardless of other people who like to come around and argue different-like, this here is correct. Y'all.

6183514
Thank you! I hate it when people try telling me I'm using it incorrectly in my stories when APPLEJACK TOTALLY DOES IT IN THE SHOW!

If you are staying in character, it's not incorrect!

6183600
*Checks my big book of Texan information.* Yes, that more or less checks out. Impeccable southernisms my fellow Texan!

An interesting story and lecture on grammar.

Thank you Rarity for that perfect capstone, too. :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment