• Published 5th May 2015
  • 4,161 Views, 79 Comments

X-COM: Operation Phoenix - Architect Ironturtle



Not all Displaced end up in the land of sunshine and rainbows. Some get stuck in a twisted parody instead.

  • ...
14
 79
 4,161

Interlude: Butterfly Effect

Poor Richy's Almanac, Canterlot print

CANTERLOT UNDER FIRE!
front page article by Double Scoop

Last Monday Canterlot, Manehattan, and Baltimare were attacked simultaneously by an unknown entity fielding creatures the likes of which nopony has ever seen before. These beings stood on two legs, like a human, wielded weapons that shot green fire, and used bizarre gadgets to kidnap dozens of ponies seemingly at random. While the Princesses were able to stop the attack on Canterlot in its tracks, the Guard in both of the other cities found itself completely outgunned, although after a time the creatures left of their own accord, seemingly having gotten what they came for. The list of ponies dead or missing is still being drawn up, but early reports indicate the loss of civilian life is low, although the military had it much rougher.

When asked whether the Griffons had something to do with the attack, the Griffon ambassador in Canterlot replied, "Of course not! If we had weapons like that, everyone would know it!" He refused to comment further and shut the window in this reporter's face shortly thereafter. Based on this outcome, this reporter believes that the creatures are not affiliated with any currently known nation or political faction.

According to a statement released by the Royal Diarchs the evening of the attack, if anypony sees an oddly tall and thin human or pony, they are to remain out of sight and contact the authorities immediately. Is it possible that these creatures, whoever they are, have infiltrated our society? The implications are alarming, to say the least. (Article continues on page C4.)

Canterlot Royal Hospital, Recovery Wing

Corporal Keen Eye of the Royal Guard was confused. It wasn't a good confusion, like in one of her favorite Rom-Com plays, or the bad kind when she couldn't find keys to her house. It was just straight puzzlement, which was weird enough by itself.

She was staring off into the space above the bed in the infirmary she'd found herself in upon waking up, seemingly oblivious to her surroundings. She spun the problem around in her mind as her green eyes traced the same irregular dent in the wall again and again, trying and failing to come up with an adequate explanation. After she'd come to, Celestia had paid her a visit and all but interrogated her about just what had happened earlier that day. She'd relayed what little she could, except for one tiny detail that was still bugging her, and Celestia had told her to get better as quickly as possible before heading off to do something or other, Keen didn't know and didn't particularly care at this point.

To be frank, the tidbit she'd left out of her report was the reason for her bafflement: well, that combined with one other reason. Just before the human had hit her with his strange device and everything had gone dark and sparky, he'd flinched away from her. Just a little, but it was there, like he was doing something he didn't actually want to do. The other reason was that he'd left her alive when killing her would have left much less evidence. Together, they formed the question that had been plaguing her since she'd woken up. Why did he leave me alive? she thought, as her gaze shifted to the mirror in the far corner of the room. It reflected her image back at her, revealing a pale cream mare with a neat, straight, lime green mane lying on her stomach, eyes wide, distant, and thoughtful.

This whole situation just didn't add up in her opinion, and Keen didn't like it when things didn't add up (something she'd inherited from her math geek of a father). She was a master of calculating variables, something she'd honed during countless hours of practice on the archery field predicting the change in the wind and the balance of the bow before she let fly, and she couldn't stand it when something defied her sense of reason. The human had not acted like an animal, or even the monster Celestia seemed to think he was. He'd acted... a lot like her, the first time she'd had to choose whether or not to take a life. Also, since when did humans wear glasses, and why was she the only one that found that weird?

In any case, she couldn't get any answers just lazing around in bed. As soon as she got the all clear from the doctor, which would hopefully be soon as the electrocution seemed to have worn off, she was heading out to track down his handlers and the information that fed her mind the way a good flower sandwich fed her stomach. The fact that she was supposed to be on the lookout for them anyway was just a bonus. Her wings fluttered in anticipation, and a small thread in her soul began to tug, ever so gently, towards the caverns below the city.

Twilight's Bedchamber

~I'm so glad you took your heat medication, ~ panted Max, his back pressed into the bed as Twilight sprawled on top of him. ~I can't imagine what that would have been like without it. Oh, wait, I already know.~

Twilight giggled and kissed his nose softly. "I agree," she murmured, "It's a lot more pleasant when I can control myself. Also, you let that night happen, don't forget that."

~Fair enough,~ Max signed, chuckling as he cast his thoughts back an hour or so, when Celestia had come to talk to Twilight about the other Anomaly. Just thinking the phrase felt strange to max. He'd been the only intelligent human for months, and now another one had popped out of nowhere. It was weird, not being one of a kind anymore. Max almost felt disappointed, although that emotion was smothered under a mixture of curiosity (where did he come from?), relief (finally someone who might get my references), and rage. Mostly rage, really. This other human had ******* mind-controlled his girlfriend along with over half a dozen guards, then proceeded to make fools out the entire castle by just waltzing out the back door. The whole alien invasion thing didn't help, either. After such a taxing day, he and Twilight agreed they needed to get some stress relief. Some until recently unavailable stress relief. Hence their current positions.

~Do you still need to talk about it?~ he asked, a hint of worry creeping into his voice. Twilight looked away. They both knew what "it" was referring to.

"I don't think so," she said slowly, still looking at something outside Max's field of view. "We pretty much covered everything earlier." Max nodded absently as he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. To steal someone's will like that... he suppressed a shudder at the thought. Twilight remembered everything, unlike the guards, and she'd told Celestia that the human had tried to speak to her. It had come out as nonsensical chatter, but he'd still done it. Also, he seemed to be the one in charge, rather than either of the ponies. At least that's what she inferred from his body language. It made him wonder just what his deal was. Max frowned slightly as he realized he didn't actually have something to refer to the other human by, and quickly decided that from now on, he would be known as Twitchy. When he relayed this to Twilight, she giggled and nuzzled him, then stared into his eyes. "Feel up for round two?" She asked, smiling seductively.

Max grinned and nodded. However, even as they went at it again, he quite couldn't shake the feeling that the symbol on Twitchy's uniform looked familiar...

Author's Note:

I realized this needed to be written, and so here it is. I felt I needed to provide some idea of rippling changes caused by William's appearance.

Let me know if I'm pushing the limits on my teen rating.

Interludes like this will be shorter than normal chapters.