• Published 24th May 2012
  • 1,578 Views, 7 Comments

A Fighting Chance - Stunt Monkey



OC Pony fights in a Boxing tournement to win money and falls in love with Applejack.

  • ...
5
 7
 1,578

Ch.7 Fight for the Finals!

Applejack and Boxing were sitting opposite each other at a table booth in the shape of a 'U', having just ordered a meal each for lunch. They had lost sight of Stryker and Rarity during the intermission. Before Boxing stood a milkshake almost as tall as his head, it was his favourite, honey flavoured. He took a big slurp through his straw with a huge ear to ear smile painted on his face, Applejack continued to stare at him in confusion.

"Ahh..." Boxing loved the taste. "What?"

"Nuthin' just, are you sure it's a good idea to be drinkin' this here milkshake right before a match?"

"Nah, I'll be fine AJ."

Wait what I call her?

"You just called me AJ?"

"Uh... sorry?" Boxing silently took another sip of his milkshake.

"Don't be sorry, all mah' friends call me AJ." She flicked her hat with a hoof.

A unicorn approached the table and placed their meals down in front of them, "Enjoy your meal." he nodded and took his leave. In front of Applejack was a slice of apple pie and in front of boxing was something wrapped in a bread roll, the likes of which Applejack had never seen before.

"Wha'd you get?"

"This? It's a hot dog." he responded.

"Dog? It's not really made er-"

"No! Oh Celestia no, this is not meat. This is a veggie dog."

"So, no dog?" She asked.

"Trust me, I'm not a rampaging dragon who eats anything in it's path or a heartless griffon warrior who drinks the blood of it's enemy." Applejack's face went from confused to panic in a split second as Boxing spoke.

"Uh, alright then. Ah'm glad." she felt calm again.

"If I were, I'd tell you."

"Quit messin'." she leaned over and punched him playfully.

"Haha, you should have seen your face." he slurped his milkshake again.

"Alright, we got us four hours free, what'd you think we should do?" Applejack asked.

"I have an idea." he slid across the seat to the other side, and kissed her softly on the nose. "I say we finish up here and take a walk in Grand Celestia's Park, just the two of us." Applejack blushed as she felt a fluttering sensation inside herself, the butterflies became dragonflies as Boxing placed his muzzle on hers, exploring the inside of her mouth with his tongue. She could sense the familiar taste of honey and salt, moments passed as the both of them pressed against each other. Applejack pulled away and breathed heavily.

"Ah'd like that, very much.

***

It was a beautiful day, Grand Celestia's Park was buzzing with other ponies who were also enjoying the great weather. Foal's in the distance were playing a game of tag, birds could be heard in the trees, tweeting peacefully. Applejack and Boxing walked side by side down the path, they stood in front of a big statue of Princess Celestia which was perched on top of a huge fountain. "It's such a lovely day." Boxing said.

"Yeah, it is." Applejack said nervously.

"This statue is huge! Hey look it says something here." he leaned down to read the words carved into the gold plate.

"Princess Celestia used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn. The younger sister, Princess Luna brought out the moon to begin the night. Their subjects, the ponies, played in the day but shunned the night and slept through it, which made the younger sister grow bitter, eventually she refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. Her bitterness transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness, Night Mare Moon. The elder sister reluctantly harnessed the power of the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned the evil mare in the moon, maintaining harmony in Equestria by taking responsibility for both the sun and the moon."

"Yeah, fascinatin' story, say, do you want an ice cream cone? I'm gonna' get us some." Applejack was lying of course, she just wanted an excuse to leave. "Hang on, there's more here." Boxing said.

"A thousand years later, the Mare in the Moon escaped from her prison and placed a spell on Princess Celestia, stopping her from locating and using the Elements of Harmony. Princess Celestia's most faithful student Twilight Sparkle the Element of Magic, with the help of her five friends, Applejack who represented the Element of Honesty..."

Boxing stopped reading and looked to Applejack. "AJ? Is there something you wan to tell me?"

"Ah' will, just finished reading yer' story."

"Fluttershy who represented the Element of Kindness, Pinkie Pie?... Who represented the Element of Laughter, Rar-Rarity? Who represented the Element of Generosity, and Rainbow Dash who represented the Element of Loyalty, harnessed the power of the Elements and destroyed the evil Nightmare Moon that had taken control over Princess Luna's mind."

Boxing returned his gaze to Applejack, she shuffled in place on her hooves. "Uh-"

"Are you the Applejack in this story?" Boxing interrupted her. "I ah'm, that was me in the story." Applejack replied. Boxing's expression changed, he walked up to her, staring intensely into her eyes. Applejack was unsure if he was mad or not, she felt like she should apologize. "Boxy, ah'-"

"You're a hero!" he shouted and flung his hooves around her, bringing her in close, hugging her warmly. "You're ain't mad?"

"Mad? why would I be mad? You and your friends saved Equestria from eternal darkness. Wait! That means Rarity is-"

"Yes, that was 'er"

"And Pinkie Pie, surely that can't be the same pony from the story."

"Yeah, she was a lot less Pinkie back then."

"This is great, me dating a hero, who would have thunk?" Hang on. Thunk isn't a word.

"Who said we were datin'?"

"Huh? But what about last night? The se-"

"Ah'm kiddin'. I love spending time with you." She placed a gentle kiss on Boxing's cheek, with that they spent the rest of the afternoon together. Later on they sat with each other under a big oak tree, Applejack laid her head on his lap while she re-told the heroic story of her friends battle against Nightmare. Boxing loved the part where she rode a Manticore like a common rodeo bull.

***

After the four hours had past Applejack and Boxing found themselves back at the arena, preparing for their semi-final rounds. the last hour and a half had been spent practising their skills on punching bags. They never met up with Stryker and Rarity, but Boxing did see them sitting in the audience during the preparations. The ring had been cleaned and the rope re-tightened. The official walked by Boxing and stopped for a moment and looked at him, "Good luck Champ." he said then passed through the curtain. Well at least somepony knows who I am. Take that AJ Boxing cracked a smile.

A loud whistle came from behind him, he turned, Iron Will stood on the same platform as earlier that day. "Alright fighters!" Fire works exploded behind him, Are you serious? Four ponies stood before the towering Minotaur "You are the four remaining fighters," he pointed to the pegasus on Boxing's far left. "Take Down,-"

Reality paused as fear and panic filled Boxing's mind, he recalled having to fight this pegasus five years ago. Take Down? The Take Down? Oh this is bad, please don't get paired with AJ. That would be a living Tartarus.

" -Emerald Guard, Applejack and Boxing Glove." pointing at each of them in turn. "Since the four of you have made it this far the officials have informed me that all four of you will be rewarded one thousand bits,-" Applejack and Boxing smiled at each other. " -Now let's pair you up so you can claim your place in the finals." The official dressed in a referee shirt handed Iron Will a piece of paper, "Alright here we are. Applejack and Take Down. Emerald Guard and Boxing Glove."

Son of a bitch, AJ's not ready.

"Alright let's get started. Applejack. Take Down. Be ready in 2 minuets." Iron Will walked out of the curtain and the crowd roared and cheered. "Applejack, can I have a word with you." Boxing said.

"What is it?"

"For your match, don't underestimate this guy, rumour is that he single-hoofidly beat up a whole pack of Timber Wolves. I have fought with him before, five years ago. He's not a bad pony or anything, but he is highly skilled and he won't be afraid to use those skills. You're mouth guard and gloves will only protect you so much, remember your blocks."

"Thanks fer' the tip."

"Do your best."

"Ah' will."

"-APPLEJAAAAACK!!!" Roared the Minotaur, Applejack placed her mouth guard in and galloped out from behind the curtain. Ponies roared her name and stomped their hooves as she galloped up and jumped through the rope into the ring, Iron Will nodded his head at her. "AND GIVE IT UP FOR! TAKE DOWWWWNNNN!!!" Iron Will roared into his head set. The grey coated pegasus wearing a hook-and-loop wing brace trotted up to the canvas and jumped over the rope, cheering continued. "Alright, you know the rules, no bucking." Iron nodded at both of them as he switch positions with the official.

DING!

Like a swift sea serpent, Take Down threw the first blow. It was quicker than anything Applejack could anticipate, her block was not quick enough to defend as his punch landed square in the middle of her chest, forcing her to step back. He brought his other hoof up following the blow he just landed, this time Applejack managed to dodge it and throw her own punch. Her hoof swung right past his head as head dodged out of the way just at the right moment. The audience echoed in Applejack's ears as she tried to ignore any distraction, she went to swing another punch but something stopped her from moving her foreleg. A precision punch right to her shoulder stopped her from striking.

Applejack winced in pain, the blow to her shoulder was powerful. She danced to the left trying to find a vulnerability, but before she could, the grey pegasus landed a powerful blow right to her chest, forcing her to step back again. In a moment of rage she rushed forward with her right hoof and successfully landed her first punch right on Take Down's left shoulder, he knocked her hoof away and stepped back, darting his right hoof forward at the same time. The same technique Boxing had taught her at the beginning of the week, which she knew how to counter.

Take Down's strike was almost to close for her to react but she did, pushing his hoof away and throwing her own at him, taking him by complete surprise. She hit her target, pressing hard against his chest, but he didn't budge at all. With brute force he threw his own punch back at the orange mare, knocking her off balance and onto her rump. The official blew his whistle and Take Down retreated to his corner of the ring, Applejack stood back up and the official wiped her gloves on his shirt, signalling her to continue.

Come on Applejack, I know you can pull through this.

A whistle blew again and Take Down stepped forward placing his hooves in a more defensive position this time, Applejack threw the first punch but he easily blocked it, she threw a second blow, blocked once more. He lowered one hoof to strike, Applejack blocked and hit back, right in the muzzle. Take Down fell down, Applejack silently screamed 'YEE-HAW!' in her mind. The official began stomping his hoof.

Sweet Celestia! She's actually doing this.

"ONE... TWO... THR-"

Stupid brain! Spoke too soon.

Just as quick as it happened Take Down got back up, a whistle sounded and Applejack retreated to her corner. Take Down nodded at the official who wiped his gloves on his shirt, he blew his whistle once more and the fighters continued. Applejack was the first to throw a punch, hitting his block. The grey pegasus saw an opening and took his opportunity, fortunately Applejack knocked his hoof away from it's target and landed her own punch right in Take Down's gut, following through with her other hoof.

Take Down lost his stance due to the great pain he was feeling right now, he put his hooves up in a defensive position while he caught his breath. But Applejack wasn't taking any prisoners, she rushed forward with her right hoof, pushing past Take Down's defence, hitting him directly in the muzzle again. As if in slow motion Take Down's flanks connected with the canvas and his forelegs fell to his side, Take Down was taken down. The official rushed forward and started stomping.

"ONE... TWO... THREE... FOUR... FIVE... SIX... SEVEN..." Reality paused as the entire arena went quiet with anticipation, Applejack returned to her corner with nervous look on her face. "EIGHT..."

This is it.

"NINE..."

Ten ten ten ten ten!!!!

"TEN... OUT!"

DING!

YES! Boxing jumped around in excitement. Everypony within earshot roared her name and pounded their hooves, Applejack flung her hooves into the air and shouted in excitement. "YEE-HAW!" Iron Will rushed onto the stage and spoke into his microphone, "LET'S HEAR IT FOR APPLEJAAAAACK!" he yelled, the roaring continued. Applejack exited the ring and walked back to the curtain where Boxing was waiting with a huge ridiculous grin on his face, almost a clone of her cousin Braeburn's massive smile.

"I'm so proud of you AJ!" he embraced her tightly. They looked from a distance to the centre ring, Iron Will was about to announce the next two fighter two compete for the remaining place. "You know, I don't want to brag but I've fought against Emerald Guard before, he is as good as beat. Look's like it will be me and you in the final." he winked.

"BOXING GLOOOOVVVEEE!!!" Iron Will shouted.

"Wish me luck. Hehe." He laughed a bit as he galloped out from behind the curtain, when he reached the ring he stepped in between the ropes and fitted his gloves to his hooves, ponies cheered his name. "AND FROM CANTERLOT, EMERALD GUAARRRDDDD!!!" The cheering continued as a unicorn with an emerald green coat and a green shield for a cutie mark galloped up to the canvas and stepped inside.

DING!

Boxing started his assault, having fought the same pony before, he knew Emerald's weakness. He threw his first punch, knowing the unicorn would block it, that was his technique after all. As the red glove approached Emerald he raised his hooves and blocked it, Boxing grinned and threw his other hoof towards him with all the strength he could summon. Boxing broke through his defence like knocking over a brick wall, the punch landed right on his chest. "Oof!"

Before he could even react, Emerald was hit again as Boxing's hoof drove down hard into his gut, the unicorn coughed up a mixture of blood and saliva as he began staggering back. In one last attempt Emerald pushed forward with his hoof, Boxing blocked the hit and returned with his own attack, striking him in the face.

As quick as it had started it was over, Emerald had been knocked over, Boxing only needed to wait for the official to call the victory. He rushed in, blew his whistle and started counting. Boxing stayed in his corner of the canvas. "ONE... TWO... THREE... FOUR... FIVE... SIX... SEVEN... EIGHT... NINE... TEN... OUT!"

DING!

Everypony roared and cheered, Iron Will rushed into the ring. "YOU SAW IT HERE! BOXING GLOVE IS THE WINNER! MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS OUT TOMORROW NIGHT, FOR THE FINAL FIGHT. APPLEJACK VERSUS BOXING GLOVE!" The sounds of stomping hooves grew louder, music began playing and Boxing left the ring. After signing a few autograph's and taking some photo's with his fans he ducked behind the curtain and rejoined Applejack, happy memories flooded back to his mind as he remembered the old days of his professional career.

"That was amazin'." Applejack said as she embraced him into a hug, "Thanks AJ." Boxing paused. "I guess it'll be the two of us in that ring tomorrow."

Tomorrow is GO time we promised each other we'd try our best... And I will!