• Published 20th May 2015
  • 1,029 Views, 3 Comments

A Shadow's Return - Chlouide



King Sombra has returned. Not as a ghastly apparition of smoke, but as a his once fully powered unicorn self.

  • ...
1
 3
 1,029

The Evacuation

Chapter II

Shining Armor strode through the infirmary with confidence, but the facade was only their to hide his worry. In fact, he was very worried. What killed off the entire expedition... Well all but one. Shining did not find joy in the possibility that Sombra could be alive. Moreover, he doubted that that was a possibility. Him alive, ha! Impossible! That old thing is long dead... I saw him... He was destroyed... Deep down he was wary of his own remark.

Shining's musing was cut short when he bumped into a white-coated mare. "Oh my goodness! Your Highness, I'm so, so, so, sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going... I- I was reviewing one of this patient's records an- an - and- I'm so, so , so , so- huh? Umm... Your Highness apologies if I'm not catching on, but what's so funny?" Shining was chuckling, his eye shut as he tried to hide his face as he looked down. The mare who had been rambling her apology was slightly out of breath.

"Nothing, nothing at all," Shining finally composed himself. This was what he needed, a good laugh. The stress of being a ruler had finally caught up with the stallion. But now he was able to release that stress, even if it was a little. "I'm here to see Flash Sentry. I had a few questions for him regarding the expedition."

"Of course your Highness. The funny thing about this is that... Well... We're already here..." The mare was now blushing at this complete coincidence. "He's behind the curtains," the mare pulled the curtain revealing a bandaged orange, blue-haired stallion. "I was reviewing his records," she extended his arm over to the patient.

"Well umm... Thank you, I suppose..."

"Will that be all your Highness?" The said as she placed the clipboard of records back into the foot of the bed's plastic holder.

"Actually, there is one thing," the mare tilted her head hearing this. "What's your name?"

It was the mare's turn to laugh now. "I'm sorry your Highness. I don't mean to offend your awareness, but I do have a name tag that bodily presents my name, and the rest of medical," Shining was at first taken aback by the sudden laughter and that shock only grew into embarrassment as he had realized what the mare was talking about. Proudly displayed on her nurse cap was her name and also did the scrub she wore.

"Oh... I see..."

"But since you asked your highness, my name is Redcross," Redcross smiled and walked off.

Shining turned to look at the patient on the bed, "Looks like he's still out of it." The patient, Flash Sentry was on the bed sleeping. Well in Shining's eyes.

"Actually your Highness I'm not. Just here patiently waiting," Flash opened his eyes and gave a small grin. He tried to get up but couldn't.

"Whoa there, relax. I just have a few questions."

"Is it regarding the expedition?" Shining nodded to this. "Thought so, just a little surprised that you're doing it your Highness."

"I suppose it's just that one thing has been on my mind for a while. Anyway first question, Are you positive that you are the sole survivor?"

Flash shook his head, "No."

“Along the way to expedition sight did anything happen?”

“No,” Deep down Shining hoped that something happened along the way.

Shining sighed, “Alright, Yes or no, do you know who did this?”

“Yes, I do,” Once again a part of hope died inside Shining.

“Alright final question, if you know their name -the one who did it- what is it?” Shining was praying to himself. He was praying that it wasn’t the one who he thought it was.

All that died when Flash said, “It was… S -Sombra… He was the one who killed of the rest of the expedition.” Flash was quivering in his bed sheets.

“Thank you for your time,” and with that Shining left the infirmary. He looked down to the floor as he walked, darkening his face. He carried a grim expression on his face. He couldn’t lie to himself that it wasn’t Sombra, he knew from the start when he first heard that basically the entire expedition was killed off after they reached the sight. He knew. Why?! Just why him?! He brought us down to our knees the last time we faced off! Just, Why?! Shining couldn't take it. He absolutely hated Sombra to no end.

He made his way to the Castle’s throne room, and slammed it shut. “Sh- Shining?” Shining Armor looked up to find himself staring at a startled noble pony and his wife, Cadance. “Is everything alright?” she was curious indeed.

Shining sighed, “No…”

“You’ll have to excuse us,” Cadance said to the noble who in return mumbled something about having to traverse a long set of stairs. “Guards! Inform the ponies that the Crystal Court is now cancelled! I would also like for some privacy.” The guards within the room made their way out in unison, with each step precise.

They were now alone, a depressed Shining and a worried Cadance,” Shining please, what’s wrong?” here tone affectionate as ever.

“Cadance it’s- it’s just that…” Shining once again sighed. “It’s Sombra…”

“What do you mean by ‘It’s Sombra?’ has he returned?!”

“I wouldn’t be talking about him if he wasn’t!” Shining yelled, startling Cadance. “I’m- I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay Shining, It’ll be fine.” Cadance nuzzled Shining, comforting him. “For now let’s just send word to Aunt Celestia and Luna, alright?” Shining nodded. and they continued their embrace.

~~~

Doctors and nurses were moving to and fro the infirmary. They were evacuating patients and moving supplies out of the entire kingdom.

“Flash we’re sending you over to Canterlot.” Shining was back in the infirmary talking to Flash Sentry.

“What?! But- But sir! Sombra must be making his way over here by now!” Flash was now out of the bed standing.

“All the more reason. We are sending all current patients over to Canterlot and Trottingham actually.”

“Huh?”

“The reason for this is because we don’t know what Sombra will do to them, and they won’t get the help they need.”

“Okay, understood. But what about me?! I’m nearly fully healed!” Flash began jogging in place to prove his point.

“I can see that. The reason why you are going as well is because you are going to tell Princess Celestia and Luna what has happened. Hopefully help will arrive before anything bad happens. We are putting a lot of faith into you Lieutenant Sentry.” Shining placed his hoof onto Flash’s shoulder.

“Understood sir!” The two made their way out the infirmary.

The entire civilian population of the Crystal Empire was now evacuated. They were either sent over to Trottingham or Canterlot. Flash Sentry was already sent over to Canterlot and that was approximately two days of nonstop travel. The Empire had guards patrolling the borders of the Empire’s shield. Shining Armor and Cadance were in the throne room with several guards and commanders. Another Commander entered the room.

“All civilians have been evacuated your majesties.”

“Good,” Shining Armor replied. “We have already set up several blockade points around the city. At any point a blockade does fall the ponies stationed at the blockade will fall back. The throne room is our final hold. If all else fails Cadance will use a long-range teleportation spell and evacuate all within range. Before hoof we would like to apologize if any pony doesn't get teleported with us. Any way that is the general gist of the plan. We have no idea what Sombra has planned, sadly. But we will stand or die trying,” the commanders and guards gave a ‘hurrah.’ “And with that you are all dismissed make your way to respective blockades.”

“Yes, sir!” the ponies saluted and made their way out of the throne room.

“I guess all that’s left to do now is wait…” Shining turned to Cadance. “Everything alright?”

Cadance hadn't said anything the entire time of the meeting, she just sat there on her throne patiently listening, “It’s just that this seems so unbelievable…”

“How so?” Shining was now walking over to his wife.

“It’s that fact that Sombra is back I thought we’d be able to rule our empire in relative peace after he was defeated… I thought wrong…” Cadance had her head down as she spoke. Her words carried disbelief as well as worry.

“Hey… You were the one who said everything will be fine, and I trust you. Completely. Let’s just do our best here alright? Its only a matter of time before Sombra arrives and we wouldn't want him to disappointed with two depressed rulers,” Shining gave a small chuckle while Cadance gave a small grin.

“...Alright, I suppose. Let’s do this,” Cadance’s horn glowed a light blue and suddenly a massive dome surrounded the Crystal Empire. Shining Armor followed up with a shield of his, but this one was a magenta color.

Slowly, over the horizon a black cloud formed on the East side of the Empire, Its mass continued to grow and smaller clouds were shooting out of it. All of it was heading toward the Crystal Empire.