• Published 5th May 2015
  • 2,841 Views, 173 Comments

Life Change, in 127.8 Seconds - Cool writer



I am Diana Zediker. And this is how my life changed in 2 minutes.

  • ...
28
 173
 2,841

Chapter 11, Missing

I woke up and looked beside me. Echo had already woken up. I should really ask her old name. I flew down to the ground and walked to the kitchen. Inside, Echo was eating a plate of eggs. She looked up at me and smiled. Something was... off about it. Normally, it was a nice smile. This smile was... more intament. It felt like she was in love with me. I did want that, but this felt wrong.

"Hey, Dusk." She said. The way she said it... I don't know, it wasn't right.

"Hey... Echo..." I said, a little nervously. "You..." Wait, made eggs? "Where did you get those eggs?" I asked.

"Oh, I made them." My eyes bulged, nearly out of my head.

"H- how?!?" I stammered. "Yesterday you could barely hold a mug!" She frowned and looked down.

"I couldn't?" She asked. "I can't... completely remember anything before I woke up, and nothing before yesterday." My muzzle dropped open.

"Are you kidding?" I asked. "What's your name?" She smiled as if it was an obvious answer.

"Echo, Duh." She said to me. I shook my head.

"No, that's not your name. That was a joke. What's your real name?" I asked.

"Echo." She said again, as though it was her only answer.

"We need to find help," I said.


It took some convincing, but I finally got "Echo" to come with me. She continued saying it was a waste of time, and that she was always Echo. I knew that was wrong. It had to be. I (almost literally) dragged her into town. The sun hadn't even set yet but was on its way. A few ponies stared at me and Echo as we walked through the town, back to "the lord of stories."

"I told you, I'm Echo," Echo whined.

"No! You were a human until I accidentally bit you and made you a thestral." I said to her. I wasn't going to let her believe the lie she told herself. She looked down at the ground, it was starting to feel as though she was empty. Echo acted compleatly different than the old... whatever her name was. I really should have asked. She was like... and Echo of the mare I knew.
We eventually made it to "the lord of stories."

"Finally," I said, exasperated. I was gonna get some answers, what was that amulet, where did it take me, and what was happening to Echo? I approached and knocked on the door. After a minute, a mint unicorn came to the door.

"Hello." She greeted, tired. She looked at me and squinted. "You're... Dusk right?" I nodded at her.

"Yes, that's me. I'm looking for-"

"I'm sorry, but we're closed right now." The unicorn interjected. She tried to close the door, but I stuck my hoof in before she could. It hurt.

"I need to speak with the Author," I said. "It's important." Her tired expression turned to one of worry.

"Can it wait? We kind of have a... thing going on." She said to me. It was clear she wanted me to go away.

"No, it can't. I need his help, now." I said urgently. Just then, a very dirty and extra scruffy Author walked down the stairs. He coughed a few times and addressed the unicorn barring my way.

"So, I closed the portal and stopped any more of those inmates coming through." He said happily. "Now all we gotta do is dismantle... oh hi Dusk!" The Author said when he noticed me standing there. He raced the rest of the way down the stairs and to the door. "Come in! I have a few things I need to explain about that pendant."


Echo and I entered the building (finally) and sat down in the chairs. Echo got the futuristic chair, and I got a recliner. The Author and the unicorn (who I was told named Lyra) Sat in the chairs opposite us. Before I could tell him why we had come, he began to explain about the pendant.

"This amulet, is actually an extreamly powerful relic, capable of creating wormholes in space. You didn't think about being somewhere else, did you?" He asked.

"Yes, I did! And then-" I was interrupted again.

"You were probably taken to another dimension, if you weren't thinking of some place specific. Good thing the very next jump takes you back to the place you began." He sighed. "That would have been bad."

"Yes, when I was in that other dimension, I accidentally bit someone there. And then-"

"That person became a thestral pony because of a blood moon?" The Author asked. "I've heard of that happening, but never actually investigated it myself, I guess now's a good a time as any." Echo laughed and looked at the Author.

"You can't actually believe that, can you?" Echo asked. "He seems to think that I was something other than a pony. That's crazy..." Then she saw The Author, his face had turned stern, and cold. He stared right at Echo, as though he was staring at her soul. "Right?" Echo gulped.

"She was the one you bit, and now she has no memory of her former life?" The Author asked. I nodded. "That is very not good. Let's take a look at that old head-o-yours." The Author jumped up from his seat and walked over to echo. He put his for hooves on her temples and closed his eyes. "Her name... her name... what was her name?" He muttered. "AH HA!" He exclaimed. "There you are!" I came to my senses. What they hay was he doing?

"Author, what are-" Lyra shushed me.

"He's trying to concentrate, be quiet." She whispered to me.

"Who? Whare?" Dusk stuttered.

"Relax," The Author said, calm and soothing. "We are in your mind, and that is you." He said he nodded his head forwards, but we couldn't see what he was nodding to. After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "Hello, my name's the Author. I'm here to help. Tell me who you are, and I can save you."