• Published 1st May 2015
  • 3,688 Views, 72 Comments

Twin Chaos - Moon Glow



Human twins Ebony and Ivory discover that they possess more than the same kind of magic with a certain draconequus.

  • ...
5
 72
 3,688

Chapter 2: Stranded

Chapter 2
Stranded


Ebony groaned as she began to regain consciousness, her head throbbing from pain.

“Ow… What hit me?”

Nearby, she heard Ivory groan as well.

“Can someone get the number of the truck that hit me?”

Ebony let out another groan, only this one was meant for her sister’s choice of words.

“That joke is older than the Stone Age, Ivy.”

She then opened her eyes and waited for her vision to clear.

“Where are you anyway, Ivy?”

“From the sound of your voice, I’m right in front of you.” Ivory replied sarcastically.

Eventually, Ebony’s vision cleared. And she was not expecting the sight in front of her.

It was a creature mixed of multiple animals. It was definitely longer than her own body. It possessed a head of a pale grey horse with a pair of slender ram’s horns on its head. Its torso was covered in chocolate brown fur with front legs that look like lion’s paws and cloven hooves for the back legs. On its back was a set of turquoise bird wings. Its tail was a scaly snake’s tail with pink scales with a tuft of white fur at the end. Its mane was long and white with a single black lock tied at one side.

It opened its eyes to reveal two white orbs with red irises and black pupils looking at her. After a few moments of silence, the creature spoke.

“E-Ebony?”

Ebony blinked in shock.

“I-Ivory?! Is that you?!”

The creature blinked before giving a nod.

“Yeah… Why wouldn’t I be me?”

Ebony answered her transformed sister.

“You should take a look in the mirror.”

The creature formerly known as Ivory Wolfe turned her head. Her elongated ears drooped slightly as she noticed something. “Uh…I don’t think we’re in Mom’s study anymore.” Ebony followed her sister’s gaze and indeed noticed that they weren’t in their mother’s study anymore. Instead, they were in what appeared to be a library in a ruined building made of stone. Within the bookcases was the entrance to what appeared to be an alcove. Inside was a large mirror similar to the one that the sisters used.

As Ivory approached the mirror, she paused to turn to her sister.

“You should see yourself too, Ebbie. But…you may not like what you see.”

Ebony raised an eyebrow as she followed her sister. Upon looking into the mirror, Ebony could see what Ivory was talking about.

Instead of a human, she was the same kind of mixed-up creature like her sister. However, her head was a darker shade of grey with a mane of black with a white lock tied separate. Looking down, she found she had the same chocolate fur, but she had black raven claws for forelegs and dark green lizard feet for back legs. Her wings were dark violet bat wings and she had long dragon horns on her head. Her tail was serpent-like like her sister’s, only the scales were blue and there was a tuft of black fur at the end.

As the two sisters gazed at themselves in the mirror, the used the same reaction.

They screamed.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!”


At the edge of a nearby town…

In the dark of night, the sound of screams echoed in a crystalline tree-castle, startling its only residents awake. One was a small purple-and-green dragon sleeping in a golden bed, while the other was a lavender pony with an indigo mane and tail that had two pink stripes in them sleeping in another room. She also had the horn of a unicorn and the wings of a Pegasus.

“What was that?” the pony gasped as she sat up from her bed and looked out a glass window.

At another part of the town on an apple farm, an orange mare with blond hair and freckles jolted awake at the sound. Turning her groggy eyes to the window, she muttered before going back to sleep.

“What in tarnation?”

Over the town, a cyan Pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane and tail jolted from her bed and created a roof Greco-style home made of cloud, screaming. Below, a building that looked like it came from the story of Hansel and Gretel remained unstartled. Mostly because of the infant unicorn and Pegasus crying, waking the three adults that ran the shop, including a bubblegum-pink mare with a curly, frizzy mane. However, the scream could be faintly heard by said mare as she looked towards the nearby window.

Nearby, in a boutique filled with glamorous dresses and dapper suits, a white unicorn mare sat up from her bed and glared angrily at the window. “Honestly! Can’t a pony get her beauty sleep these days?”

Lastly, at the border of a forest and the town, a grassy cottage stirred abruptly due to the screams coming from said forest. Inside, animals from mice to a bear ran around the cottage in a panic. Up the stairs, a butter-colored Pegasus hid under her covers, cowering in fright. She peeked out of her covers just as the others turned their gazes towards the same location.

The screams came from the Everfree Forest.


Back with the twins…

Both sisters covered their mouths to stop them from screaming their lungs out. Ebony gawked at her refection while Ivory began to pace back and forth, alternating between biped and quadruped.

“This is bad! This is VERY bad! I thought the spell would take us to Dad! Not…this!!!”

Hearing her sister’s rant, Ebony pulled herself from the mirror and gave an angry glare at her sister.

“None of this would have happened if you hadn’t been so insistent that we’d go into Mom’s study without her permission!”

It was then Ivory’s turn to glare at her sister.

“Hey! You could’ve stopped me. Why didn’t you?”

“I agreed to go as far as to borrowing some chamomile for that Tea of Tranquility! I did not sign up for this! You should’ve let that spell alone and wait like the rest of us.”

“The rest of us? You mean you?” Ivory spat back angrily. “You were just as curious as me!”

“But I know when to follow the rules, Ivory May Wolfe!” Ebony retorted, using her sister’s middle name to empathize her anger.

Ivory stuttered to counter her sister’s argument, but decided to change the subject.

“Look, Ebony April Wolfe. This is getting us nowhere. We’re just arguing. We need to get home.”

Realizing her sister was right, Ebony withheld her previous argument and eyed the mirror again.

“Let’s try the mirror again.”

Without another word, the twins placed their hands, well paws and claws, on the mirror’s glass.
Nothing happened.

The sisters groaned as Ivory began to abuse the mirror while Ebony gave their situation some thought.

“Aw, come on! Take us back! We wanna go home! You hear me?!”

Ebony then spoke up, halting her sister’s rant.

“Try that chant again. Maybe it can get us home.”

Realizing her sister may be on to something, Ivory cleared her throat and began the chant.

“Under the full moon, between worlds we will walk. With the Paint of Stars, a gate will unlock. With these words I cast. Take us to Eventide Hollow, this I ask!”

Unfortunately, nothing happened. No flash, no blacking-out, nothing.

“You gotta be kidding me!” Ebony griped.

“We’re stranded?!” Ivory protested.

The twins groaned simultaneously, the sound echoing in the empty building. Looking out of the alcove, Ebony looked up to find a window and saw what time it was. Looking to her sister, Ebony spoke.

“Looks like until we get that spell going again or Mom comes to get us, we’ll have to make due. Hopefully, there are some rooms where we can sleep.”

“What about the people that live here?” Ivory asked, looking around cautiously.

Ebony motioned her sister to follow her out of the library as they began to look around. Seeing the vast rubble and encroaching wildlife, Ebony drew up a conclusion.

“Looks like this place has been abandoned for years. Centuries, maybe. But that’s great.”

Ivory raised an eyebrow at Ebony.

“How so?”

Ebony answered as they exited out the front door to get a good look at where they were.

“Well, we don’t know what the people here are like or if they’re even human. If they don’t look like we do now, probably be best not to scare them. And with no one here, we won’t need to drag a large mirror from place to place in hopes it may be our way home.”

They then turned around and got a good look at the building thanks to the full moon. They found that they ended up in a ruined stone castle of unknown make. The area around the castle was clear and down a short path was an old rope bridge that had seen better days. It was still too dark for the twins to notice the set of stairs that led down into the ravine and there was a fog that kept a shiny glow hidden from their sight.

Keeping their gaze on the castle, the twins spoke to each other.

“Well, this is interesting.” Ebony spoke.

Ivory began to grin.

“Sweet! I’ve always wanted to be a princess. And now we have our own castle.”

Ebony raised an eyebrow at her twin.

“This is no time to play pretend, Ivy. But still, I guess it could be our home for the time being.”

Ivory grinned wider at her sister’s answer.

“I’m gonna go and pick out my room. See you in the throne room in the morning, Princess Ebony.”

Ebony folded her arms as she rolled her eyes.

“Good-night, Ivory.”

As Ivory left to find a room, Ebony followed a stairway opposite of the one her sister took. She walked a few flights of stairs until she came across a room with the image of a crescent moon on it.

“This looks promising.” She muttered to herself as she opened the door.

Inside, she found a room that looked fit for royalty. There was dust all around, but the thing she was focused on at that moment was the still-usable bed at the end of the room. Without another word, Ebony trudged into the room and opened the windows. She then proceeded to take the sheets of the bed and beat the dust out of them until she found it was enough, the dust exiting the window.

Once the bed was made again, Ebony used her tail to do a bit of light dusting so she would not sneeze throughout the night. Once the large chuck of the dust was out the window, Ebony closed it before climbing into bed. It was difficult for her at first, what with her elongated body and horns. But eventually, she found herself in a comfortable position to sleep. As she drifted off, Ebony had a thought emerge from her mind.

“I hope we get back to Mom soon.”


Meanwhile, back at the crystal castle....

The formerly sleeping baby dragon curled up in the lavender pony's bed, still shaking from the scream that was heard earlier.

"Wh...what do you suppose that was, Twilight?" he asked nervously.

The pony, Twilight, held the dragon close as she kept her eye at the window that faced the Everfree Forest.

"I don't know Spike. However, it sounded like it came from the Everfree Forest."

Seeing a certain look in her eye, Spike asked the pony nervously.

"You're not gonna do what I think you're gonna do, are you?"

Twilight frowned as she started to lay down, still keeping an eye on the forest.

"Tomorrow, we'll get the girls and find out exactly what that scream was."