• Published 23rd Dec 2015
  • 579 Views, 26 Comments

The Various Promptings of gamexpert1990 - gamexpert1990



Sometimes, you just get prompted to write a little.

  • ...
1
 26
 579

Prompt: Logan's Run (not a prompt as such)

Alternative Title:

The Unbearable Lightness of Ducking

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy decided to hang out at Saddle Lake on a pleasant day. Pinkie and Rainbow were having a stone-skipping contest, while Fluttershy mingled with the wildlife and watched her friends.

After a while, good-natured distractions were added to the stone-skipping. During one of Rainbow's turns, Pinkie created a particularly distracting effect that threw Rainbow's aim completely off. As they both noticed the stone's trajectory towards Fluttershy, they warned her with a resounding "Duck!"

Although she heard her friends' warning and lowered her head in time to avoid any harm, the loud shouts and sudden movement startled an actual duck and ducklings that Fluttershy had met just moments before, and now they were all quacking up a storm of commotion. Once they settled down, Fluttershy just stared at her two friends while they wore sheepish grins.

Author's Note:

So, the prompt itself was a little bit different than the usual fare, being something of an experiment... Details can be found in this link, but basically we were to take a pre-existing story title from a certain user's list of stories, and tweaking said story title by adding, removing, or otherwise changing merely one single letter (though punctuation changes were also allowed). The story title I eventually managed to scrounge this idea from is "The Unbearable Lightness of Bucking."


Originally found here:

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/212112/flashfic/thread/339715/flashfic-150-november-2017-logans-run-not-a-prompt-as-such#comment/6198824


p.s. For anyone curious about Saddle Lake, it's to the immediate east of Ponyville, according to this apparently official map of Equestria (linked instead of embedded because it's a fairly large image).

Comments ( 6 )

ducklings that Fluttershy met just moments before,

*had met*

At the limit of your words and can't fit in had? Well then:

Fluttershy just stared at her two friends while they each wore a sheepish grin.

You can remove the word *each* here as it is unnecessary. Especially if you also remove the 'a' and put an 's' on grin.

I'm glad Fluttershy wasn't like "Where?" and turned around to take the stone full in the face.:rainbowlaugh:
Also, I never knew that lake had an actual name. Cool.

8589655

At the limit of your words and can't fit in had? Well then:

...The guy who runs Flashfic isn't really too terribly strict if we exceed the limit by one or two words, so, uh, that's just straight-up grammatical error on my part. :twilightsheepish::facehoof: Thank you for pointing that out. :twilightsmile: (Edit: Fixed now, and I also decided to remove an earlier sentence that someone else in the prompt thread mentioned was "information that did not need to be included.")

I'm glad Fluttershy wasn't like "Where?" and turned around to take the stone full in the face.:rainbowlaugh:

I'm sure most bronies would be glad I avoided that route. :scootangel: Besides, she was already near a few ducks, and the urgent tone of her friends' shouting was a clear indication of what they meant. I mean, Fluttersy was hanging out with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, two of her most rambunctious friends. :derpytongue2:

Also, I never knew that lake had an actual name. Cool.

Neither did I until after I looked over this map a couple times, and this version only came out shortly before the MLP Movie earlier this year. I can't recall seeing the lake's name on any previous version (though I admit I never really paid all that much attention to these maps before).

8590276

The guy who runs Flashfic isn't really too terribly strict if we exceed the limit by one or two words

Though don't go counting on it. :raritywink:

8591613

8592303
Somebody got busted! Haha!

so, uh, that's just straight-up grammatical error on my part. :twilightsheepish::facehoof: Thank you for pointing that out. 

No problem. It's usually much harder to spot your own errors than it is the error of others.

I'm sure most bronies would be glad I avoided that route. 

But then you could make a sequel about Flutter's trip to the dentist and the ensuing chaos Pinkie and Dash would cause there!

8592844

Somebody got busted! Haha!

*Insert the Cops theme song*

It's usually much harder to spot your own errors than it is the error of others.

Aye, this is true.

But then you could make a sequel about Flutter's trip to the dentist and the ensuing chaos Pinkie and Dash would cause there!

...Great, now you have me thinking that I should write something involving Minuette, and I don't even particularly care for her fan-given name of Colgate and the dentist association she's acquired. Go figure. :applejackconfused:

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand just like that, as soon as I post this comment, I'm struck with instant inspiration for this month's Flashfic prompt. :pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy: (It's nothing to do with dentistry, though.) Now it's only a matter of, y'know, me actually writing it down...

Login or register to comment