• Published 6th May 2015
  • 269 Views, 9 Comments

Where are you taking me? (A Cutie Mark tale) - Dusty Hooves



One ponies quest to fulfill his destiny might not lead him exactly where he expected to go.

  • ...
2
 9
 269

Make lemonade

Chapter two: Stallions... Face hoof.


And do his best he did.

Soft Touch was a natural. He had memorized the menu, was great with the customers and kept the place spotless. Cactus Flower had never had an employee this good before. She was truly impressed with him.

A week later Soft Touch had his first exam. He thought he did well but until the results were posted, he was going to be as nervous as a colt at the Fall Formal.
After work the next day, Soft Touch galloped over to the campus to check the exam results. He was happy to find his name on the list of applicants who passed but that feeling soon changed to worry as it dawned on him that he was at the bottom of the page and the results were organized by score from highest at the top to lowest at the bottom.
There's no way I'm going to make it past the next round, he thought. Not without some help.

The next day at work, Cactus Flower asked how he did on his exam. Soft Touch's neutral expression turned to sadness as he told her. "I passed," he said.

"Then why the frown Softie?" Cactus Flower asked, using the nick name she had given him. "We should celebrate!"

Calling him by that name usually brought a smile to Soft Touch's face but not this time. "I finished at the bottom of the results. I had close to the lowest score necessary to progress to the next level," he said as he looked at the floor, unable to meet her gaze. "I don't think I'll pass the next exam without help. I've got to try to get into prep school but I don't have the bits."

Cactus Flower took his chin in her hoof and raised his face so they were looking eye to eye. "Look Softie," Again she used the nick name, hoping to raise his spirits. "After we close this evening, let's you and I take a walk and see what we can come up with, ok?"

Blushing from her touch and kind words, not to mention calling him "Softie", Soft Touch could only nod his agreement.

After closing up the cafe, Soft Touch and Cactus Flower took a walk in one of the many beautiful parks scattered throughout the capitol. They discussed how many bits he needed for prep school and how much he was saving from his pay and how much he paid in rent.
"I've got an idea," Cactus Flower said. "You know I live above the cafe, and I wouldn't offer this to anypony else but I trust you," she continued. "I've got an unused room I could let you have."

Shocked by her generosity, he said: "C-Cactus Flower, t-thats really kind of you but I couldn't possibly put you out like that."

"Please," Cactus Flower said, waiving away his objection with her hoof, "I'm a grown mare and I know what I'm doing. By not having to pay rent, you'll have enough to get into prep school. Now first thing tomorrow, gather up your stuff and show up at the cafe an hour before opening so we can get you settled in."

It was done. Just like that Cactus Flower had again, came through for him when he needed it the most. He was full of emotions he could not express with words and he did the only thing he could think of. He moved in close to Cactus Flower, wrapped his forelegs around her neck and hugged her tightly.
After a moment locked in his embrace, Cactus Flower using a hoof, slowly pushed him back a little bit and looked up at him, her cheeks flushed red and her eyes locked on his. She then surprised him for the second time that night as she leaned forward, tilted her head slightly and kissed him softly on the lips. The moment seemed to last forever. Soft Touch could not believe what was happening! He had no idea Cactus Flower felt that way about him. Not that he minded. He'd had a crush on the peach colored unicorn since the first time he saw her.
When they finally parted, Soft Touch started to say something but Cactus Flower, now looking a little embarrassed, put a hoof to his mouth. "Don't say anything, Let's just enjoy this beautiful evening," she said as she she snuggled in close to him. Soft Touch didn't know if it was the cool night breeze or the feeling of Cactus Flower's body moving against his as they walked, but he had goose bumps all over.

Life certainly was changing for this small town earth pony.

The next morning Soft Touch moved into Cactus Flower's spare room. He tried to speak with her about what happened last night but again she stopped him saying that there would be plenty of time for that later.
Ok, He thought, I can wait. When she's ready, she'll tell me.

Soft touch went to the prep school that day and signed up for the night class.

For the rest of the week, Soft Touch split his time between work and school. He was determined to pass the next two tests and secure his entry into the CMA. Cactus Flower still would not talk about the kiss nor did she show any further affection towards him.
Soft Touch was confused but instead of focusing on his relationship with the beautiful cafe owner, he concentrated on studying for the next exam.

That day came soon enough and Soft Touch was as prepared and confident as he could be.
After the exam was over though, he was not so sure about his chances. I had no idea that exam would be so hard. He thought.
I study hard at the prep school and my cutie mark said that this is my special talent. How could I be doing so badly?

The exam scores were posted the next morning. As you might expect, Soft Touch was first in line to see the results. He scanned through the list four times but each time, his hopes got lower and lower. His name was not on the list. He knew his dream had died. He failed to pass the exam.

Heading back to the cafe to start his work, he could not have felt any more depressed.

As soon as he entered the cafe, Cactus Flower could tell he failed the exam.
She went up to him. "I'm so sorry Soft. I know you really wanted this."

"Maybe I just wasn't meant to be a therapist," he said. "What am I going to do now?"

"I'm sure you've noticed that I've been a little distant this last week," Cactus Flower said. "But it's not because my feelings for you have changed."

With confusion on his face, Soft Touch looked up at her and said, "I don't understand. Then why have you been avoiding talking to me about that kiss in the park?"

Cactus Flower spoke softly. "I needed you to concentrate on your studies. I wanted you to do well. I knew that what I did was wrong, that the timing was bad but I just couldn't help myself. You looked so vulnerable and sweet that night a-and," she continued, choking back a lump that was forming in her throat, this time not able to meet his gaze, "And I couldn't keep my feelings bottled up any longer. I've liked you since you first walked into my cafe."

"You did?" Soft Touch said. Hardly able to believe what she was telling him.

"Yeah silly," Cactus Flower said, finally able to once again look at him. "What, you couldn't tell? Geez," she said, giving him a quizzical look. "Stallions are so dense sometimes. Look, come sit," she said as she led him over to a empty table and pulled out a chair for him with her hoof. The cafe was empty as it was still early so they had the place to themselves.
"I wasn't going to say anything until after the exams were over. I didn't want to distract you from following your dream," she continued. "Softie, I want you to look at your cutie mark."

Soft Touch looked at the pencil and pad cutie mark decorating his flank. "What about it?" he asked.

"Tell me what you see there," Cactus Flower asked him.

"I see a note pad and pencil, the tools a therapist uses when they see a client," he replied. "Why?"

Cactus Flower was looking him in the eye now. "Is that all you see, nothing else?" she said. "Because from where I'm sitting, I see the same pencil and pad that's used to take orders. Like in a restaurant or a... Cafe"

Soft Touch's eyes grew large as the realization hit him. "You mean I've been wrong? I've been chasing the wrong dream all this time?" Cactus Flower was quiet as Soft Touch's brain processed this information.

A moment later she spoke. "No, not wrong Softie, you just haven't been open to other possibilities. See, a pony can interpret their cutie mark in a whole bunch of different ways. You were focused on just the one way. Haven't you heard the expression about putting all your eggs in one basket?"

Soft Touch took a step back mentally and thought about it from a different perspective. What Cactus Flower was saying made a lot of sense.

Everything he had been through had led him here. To this cafe, this job and this mare. He realized then, that this was his destiny all along. He had just been too focused on what he thought was his true purpose to recognize what had been staring him right in the face.

Soft Touch got up from his seat, went over to Cactus Flower and with tears in his eyes, embraced her, his very special somepony; and in that moment he knew right where he would spend the rest of his life. Right where his cutie mark had led him from the very beginning.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments ( 8 )

This was inspired by episode six of season 5, right?

5946274
No. I wrote it before that episode aired.

Finally, the shadows are cleared for Soft Touch! I think this is a nice way to show how Cutie Marks can be misinterpreted, and how they do not keep ponies from doing what they want, but generally lead them where they belong, where they will feel complete.

Now, "philosophy" subject :
Can a Cutie Mark truly destine a pony to be evil, or unsatisfied with his fate? (I am currently thinking of Sombra, but there is also Diamond Tiara.)

Also, the interactions between these two just made my heart melt. :twilightsmile:

5946907 Coincidence, then? My bad. Nice Job.

What a sweet story, I absolutely love it! :yay:

5947069
Thank you so much for the comments. :twilightblush: You understand exactly what I was trying to impart with this story. While some stories are uncomfortable to read, often it's that uncomfortability that makes them all the more memorable.

5960107
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

*****SPOILERS Don't read unless you have read the chapter first. SPOILERS*****

Ohhh shiiiit. I can't believe he took that so well, I would have been mortified to find out that I was meant to wait tables when I thought I was supposed to be a therapist. At least he's happy now, no more being lost! Vague cutiemarks must cause this kind of confusion often in Equestria. I wonder if there's some sort of profession that a pony can have that deals with helping other ponies 'decrypt' their cutiemarks.

(Hey, it's Miz-Jynx, I like your story!:twilightsmile:)

6023544

Thank you so much! :pinkiehappy:

Life doesn't always give you what you hoped for or expected. Luckily for him, he got a better gift than the profession he was after.

Login or register to comment