• Published 30th Apr 2015
  • 602 Views, 32 Comments

Kingdom in Shadows - Istaran



The Itinerant Kingdom has grown and prospers within the shadows of much larger kingdoms. But they are beginning to want more from life. When they step out from the shadows, will the light of day warm their hearts or burn them?

  • ...
7
 32
 602

Chapter 3: A place to call home

[Well, that went well,] Wind Chaser thoughtspoke as we descended the stairs from the palace. Alex started up another musical number, getting the ponies to dance and sing about how great our true love was, instead of noticing the changeling in their midst and possibly panicking. Damn, that kid was scary.

[So far so good, but we'll need to earn their trust from here, and we should assume they'll never take our side against Equestria. And if it did come to war, Cadance is still a uniquely dangerous threat to us in more ways than one. I don't know if it would be possible to neutralize her without outright attacking her, so I pray it never comes to that.] With a few powerful flaps of my wings I had us airborn, floating gracefully down to the inn's entrance. Our other subjects had made preparations for us, including renting us a room. We didn't take the time to pick up the key, as locks had a way of not getting in our way. And sure enough, we were soon alone in our makeshift 'honeymoon' suite.

[You know,] she said, as I lay her down on the bed, snuggling against her side. [You've already gotten me pregnant, with your little love-surge back there. You should start on the others.. you do have a promise to keep.]

I groaned a bit. Years ago, we had promised several changeling drones one egg each when we figured out enough about how Alexander had been conceived to reproduce the effect. [While I understand your desire to stud me out, really I do. Not on our wedding night!] I pinned her beneath me, kissing her deeply as I began.. expressing my love in other ways.

[Alright. It's a shame you didn't ask about making us a herd, though. Even ignoring the other changelings, Midnight Oil deserves to be right here with us.]

With a flip of my wings, I flipped the cloak off my back and onto her face, breaking her line of thought. [Just enjoy yourself, damnit.]

[Yes, my king!] she giggled as we got started enjoying the traditional wedding night festivities.


Bardrick returned to the palace after a quick flyover of the city. He waited patiently at the end of the line of petitioners, listening in on every request and making note of those we could easily step in to help fulfil. We only had two Gatecrashers working so far, and the larger version I had dubbed the 'Freightcrasher' was still just theory and schematics at this point, so we were a bit limited in the volume of goods we could move. Still, that wasn't the reason for Bardrick's visit, and he waited patiently for his turn to speak.

"Back so soon?" Shining Armor asked the griffon as he approached.

"We would like to get started on things right away, and that means coming to agreement on a base of operations. I've located what I believe will be a suitable location. It's a block of buildings near the outskirts that was burned out by friendly fire during the last attack on your empire. It's a hard to defend location, far from the bulk of your population, which means we'll be well out of your way and avoid taking prime real estate away from your people. We can and will defend ourselves effectively if there is another attack; if the enemy mistakes it for a point of weakness then all the better. And the fires that washed it out have done half of the demolition work, making it that much easier to clear out and start building fresh. We'll do all the heavy lifting ourselves, we just need your permission to claim the land. If we could have the ring of blocks around it as well, we'll build out housing there for our incoming workers, otherwise we'll find accommodations with your people."

"That was well thought out," Cadance commented, "and generous to chose land as out of our way as you could. Are you sure you will be safe there? It is beyond the edge of our defenses, as you noted. I would feel very bad if any harm came to you while you were guests in our country."

"If we are attacked, our two nations will work together and repel any enemy, Princess, of that I am quite certain." Bardrick replied confidently.

"Alright, it is granted. Though we shall expect a small tribute from you annually, like any other landholder in our realm. Is there any other matter you came here for?" the Princess asked.

"Yes. Our population includes a small number of changelings, even beyond our newlywed queen. I know that you have a personal history with their kind which is most regrettable, so I must ask. What laws do you have in place, or will you, regarding the conduct of changelings in particular, and the use of their unique powers? If you prefer, we can abide a simple ban. There is plenty of other work for them to do on our behalf worldwide, if they are not permitted in this sanctuary. But we do not feel it wise to bring them here before the matter is settled," the griffon asserted.

The Princess gave a subdued shudder. "You are right that I am not fond of their kind. Feeding on my people is completely unacceptable, as is impersonating us. Or anypony, really. Is there a way they can, you know.. not change?"

The griffon seemed prepared for this. "We can have each assume a single public form, and register them with you if you prefer. Whenever in public within the Crystal Empire they will be in that consistent form: same shape, tribe, coloration and cutie mark. Unique from one another and everypony else, but consistent for the same changeling."

The Princess nodded, looking a bit relieved. "Yes, that would work well. But why do you say 'public'? Do we need to worry about them taking liberties within our homes?"

The griffon blushed, clawing the ground a moment to avoid the topic for a few seconds. "While we will keep them from any manner of deception, those who enjoy the company of changeling lovers.. behind closed doors mind you.."

"Enough!" Shining Armor said, blushing himself. "We understand your point."

Princess Cadance giggled and fluffed her wings a bit. "The Princess of Love does not have laws against what two willing adults do in their own bedroom. Provided, as you said, that nopony is being deceived."

Bardrick nodded, glad to be past that point. "Very well, Princess. Prince. We will begin the immigration and construction immediately."


With a pulse of green magic, Alexander had his back covered by a long white cloak, allowing him to keep his wings materialized while out of view, letting ponies take him for just another unicorn. He greyed his fur a bit, to avoid looking too much like Shining Armor, and manifested a lute shaped cutie mark to reference his bardic talents. He retrieved the matching instrument from his bags at the inn before heading for the nearest tavern to ply his trade. As my son, the Itinerant Prince, he had no need to earn bits for himself, but he enjoyed the attention he got, and the occasional free drinks.

He started simply enough, taking up a seat at the side of the tavern and simply beginning to play, quietly at first, background music that easily wound itself into the rhythm of the place. He didn't sing a word, but as the words of the ponies started to slip into the beat of the song, he started to hum, his unnaturally talented voice weaving into the magic of Equestria.

This was not a song with purpose, like our entrance and exit had been. This was song for its own sake, simply harmonizing with Equestria. And just like playing the exact right vibration into an object will create a standing wave, growing stronger and stronger as the material holds the note perfectly, so too did his harmony grow in power. A massive sense of rightness began to pervade all of those present, even those just passing by on the streets. He didn't guide the power, but simply let it guide him. Refreshing him.

He had to ease off a bit, as he was getting a bit thirsty. Luckily a beverage had been placed on the table beside him. Two, really, but the other was clearly meant for the unicorn filly slowly nursing it on the other side of the table, looking at him with a smile. He returned her smile, as his horn levitated the glass of peach juice to him, fading out his humming to drink the refreshment while his hooves still worked the strings of his instrument in a deliciously intense lute solo.

He hummed a few more verses before he finally rounded out the song and turned to face his new companion. "I am Stormbringer," he told her, "though as you can see I can also bring the calm beforehand," he winked. "And what is the name of my most alluring benefactor?" he asked, raising his glass before emptying it.

The filly raised a hoof to her mouth thoughtfully. She was as pink as Cadance but shinier, being a crystal pony. She looked to be a bit older than Alexander, on the cusp of adulthood. By pony standards she may well have been considered an adult. The quartet of gemstones depicted on her flank, each carved with a runic symbol, showed she had discovered her talent, and if she had begun to employ it already she would be free to take on life as an adult. Alex preferred that system to arbitrary numbers, especially since he had matured so much faster than anypony else. "I thought your name was 'Prince Alexander Gabriella Stormbringer the First'," she said. "The half-changeling. That was you, wasn't it?"

Alex laughed and smiled at her. "You will forgive a Prince the attempt at discretion. But I did not see you in the palace. I would have noticed someone of your beauty, I assure you." He sniffed audibly, a hint of recognition reaching his face.

"My sister told me about you, I do hope you aren't that hung up on older mares. She was quite flattered by your attention, but she has a stallion in her life already," she said.

"She should have said as much, I would have hit on the other guards instead," he said.

"I think she was trying to spare them that," the filly laughed. "Oh, I still haven't given my name. I am Garnet Glitter," she offered a hoof and a smile. "So would you prefer I call you Alexander or Stormbringer?"

"Either is fine, as is simply Prince. Calling me 'First' sounds weird even to my ears, and you should only call me Gabriella if you want me to be your marefriend," he winked.

"I'll remember that if I have any juicy gossip," she giggled.

"Oh, I love juicy gossip!" he said, clopping his hooves together. "Give my apologies to your sister when you see her."

"So what brings you here then? You aren't somehow, you know.. feeding on our love are you?" she asked, a bit suspiciously.

"I only nibble a bit here and there upon that which is freely given," he said, starting to play gently again. "I am well fed, I assure you, by my own Kingdom's people. And by more conventional forms of food. Would you care to split an order of hay fries? I am, as you said, only half changeling."

"Is it lonely?" she asked after nodding to his offer. "I mean.. being such an unusual creature."

He shook his head. "I am perhaps the least lonely being in this world. I was cheered into this world by the whole of my nation, and have gotten to know and befriend every single one of them, even as our numbers swelled. And hundreds more have enjoyed my songs and shared their joy with me, if only in passing. How about you? Is it lonely being yet another unicorn?"

She paused, blushed a bit and looked toward the bartender to avoid meeting his eyes. "Sometimes.." she said at length.

"Is that why you are here at my side?" he asked.

"I-I was just curious, honest!" she insisted, blushing red through the pink fur of her cheeks.

"I am always happy to have a curious new friend," he said, smiling warmly. "Though if you'll excuse me. I believe it is time for another song to give you time to recover from your embarrassment." His smile became a grin as he winked before adding his voice once more to the music.

She slipped away as he did.

And returned a minute later with a piping hot batch of hay fries.