• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 6,272 Views, 450 Comments

If Horses Had Gods - Ponky



Twilight Sparkle asks each of her friends, "Do you believe in God?"

  • ...
57
 450
 6,272

Chapter Four

“Fluttershy,” asked Twilight Sparkle, “do you believe in God?”

Fluttershy's eyes widened at the shivering pony at her doorstep. "Um... maybe you should come in, Twilight," she said.

Twilight nodded and hurried inside to lay herself out on the long green couch. Fluttershy took the cushioned chair adjacent. Angel jumped into the chair and curled up against her wing.

"What did you ask me, Twilight?" Fluttershy said.

"I asked if you believe in God," Twilight said. "Or, more specifically, what kind of God do you believe in?"

"Oh, goodness." Fluttershy sighed. "That's a very interesting question, Twilight. What brings it up?"

"I found several books on ancient worship in pre-Equestrian culture," she explained, "and wondered why nopony talks about God anymore. I started asking our friends what they believed." She groaned and covered her face. "Now I know why nopony talks about it."

Fluttershy was quiet until Twilight spoke again.

"So I just wanted to ask you," she said. "You're a kind, quiet, sensible pony, Fluttershy. Where do you think everything came from? Who created all of this? The forest, and ponies, and all your animals?"

"Oh. Well..." Fluttershy smiled. "I don't believe in creation so much as transformation."

Twilight sat up. "What do you mean?"

"I think everything has always existed, Twilight," Fluttershy explained, stroking Angel's little head. "The universe is eternal. Heehee... I always thought universe was a funny word."

Turning herself on the couch to face Fluttershy, Twilight clarified. "So you think that... matter is eternal?"

"And infinite," Fluttershy said. "I know it's hard to comprehend the way we are right now, but it doesn't have to be a distressing thought. Actually, I find eternity to be very comforting."

"In what way?"

"If all this is eternal--if nothing has beginning or end--that means we don't ever really lose anything. It just transforms. We see it in nature all the time. An apple falls from the tree, it rots into the ground, the soil absorbs the nutrients, and it gets sent back up through the roots to feed new fruit." She closed her eyes in a peaceful smile. "Everything has a cycle, Twilight. Day and night, sea and rain, life and death."

"You think life and death is a cycle?" Twilight asked. "Seems to me like it just... starts and ends."

"Bodies begin and end, yes," Fluttershy said. "But I believe that everypony has a soul."

"Applejack said the same thing," Twilight remembered. "She thinks the soul of a pony is immortal and goes to heaven when the body dies."

"Oh, that's a lovely thought," Fluttershy said, sighing happily.

"Do you believe that, too?"

"No," Fluttershy said simply. She tilted her head to sway her mane out of her face. "I don't really think there's the soul of a pony and the soul of a bunny and the soul of a star. I think we're all the same thing on the inside."

Twilight's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Oh, yes. I've spent enough time with animals to see they're just as alive and intelligent and curious as we are. They just have less means of expressing it. Their purpose is different."

"Purpose?" Twilight smiled. "Do you think everything has a purpose?"

"Most definitely!" Fluttershy said. "I believe that we, too, go through many cycles. Every time the body dies, our soul goes to a new one and lives another life. We learn that way. We get many different experiences and contribute to beauty and existence from hundreds, maybe thousands of different perspectives."

"So you think we all become animals when we die?"

"Maybe we've already been animals. In fact, I'd say it's very likely. We are just as eternal as the matter we get to control, life after life. But it's not always animals, Twilight. I think once I was a tree." She smiled again and let out a soft sigh. "Maybe I'll get to be a star someday. Or a mountain."

"I bet Pinkie Pie knows somepony else who would like to be a rock," Twilight said. They both giggled.

"I'm not saying I remember any lives before this one," Fluttershy said, almost as an afterthought. "Perhaps we're going through lots of different lives in preparation for something greater. Maybe, once we learn all we can from each life, our souls go someplace else to use what we have learned."

Twilight was nodding. "That's a beautiful belief, Fluttershy."

"If it's true, then we ought to treat each other--and nature--much better than most ponies do," she added. "We should try to identify our inner self: the true, eternal part of us, and let it govern our choices and interactions with other souls. We must learn to be aware of what is in our control and what it is not. When that becomes clear, life gets very... hmmm... peaceful."

"I can imagine," Twilight said.

"I don't do as well as I should, believing like this," Fluttershy said, looking at the floor. "Sometimes I get very angry and forget to let go of what I can't control. It helps to meditate."

"Like, sit and think about it?"

"Well, more like not think about it." Fluttershy giggled again. "The key to meditation is removing everything that stands between your consciousness and your soul, the eternal part of you. Usually there are so many filters, and thoughts are one of them."

Twilight frowned. "So, you're saying it's bad to think?"

"Oh, no, of course not. Thinking is the one of the greatest tools we have in life, Twilight. Meditation serves to teach us that we are in control of our thoughts, and not the other way around. During meditation, I try not to focus on any one thought. I pay attention to the way I breathe and where I feel energy entering and exiting my body."

"Energy? Like, magic?"

"Heehee... it's hard to explain. I guess it feels like light. Inner light."

"Huh..." Twilight rubbed her hooves together. "I don't think I've ever experienced that before."

"If you'd like, you could come over during one of my meditation sessions."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "You have sessions?"

"It usually takes quite a long time. I'll let you know. You're welcome to come. I usually prepare a kettle of spice tea to enjoy afterward. There's something very special about tea."

Something settled in Twilight's chest. "Wow, Fluttershy. I really like that."

"How do you feel?"

After a deep breath and a small smile, Twilight answered, "Better. Good."

"Our feelings are very important, Twilight. Emotion is a common thread in many forms of life. We all seek happiness, and it comes to those who are aware of what's around them, who make the good choices they can and leave alone that which is out of their control."

"Huh. That makes sense," Twilight said. "So, to be clear, you don't believe in God, then?"

"Hmmm... well, I wouldn't say that." Fluttershy swished her tail. "Perhaps there is Someone who directs the whole thing, assigning each soul to their next body, shaping the lessons they learn in each life. I really don't know. But in my opinion, the universe is taking care of itself. It is a soul of its own, something we are each a part of, and it sustains life and harmony as effortlessly as a sparrow sings."

Twilight frowned. "Well... what about when bad stuff happens, Fluttershy? We've seen a lot of bad ponies and other creatures do a lot of bad things. Where does that fit into all this peacefulness?"

"Not all souls are aware, Twilight," Fluttershy said in a colder voice. "Most souls, I think, get caught up in their present lives, seeking for personal gain and power. They don't realize that the true power lies in understanding the cycles. The true power belongs to the universe, and in a sense that means it already belongs to us. Bad ponies, in my experience, are only trying to take more than their share. They are trying to increase what is in their control. That's not the way it's supposed to be. If each pony, rock, snail, bear, and tree lived according to its nature, the harmony would be endless."

"Some might say it is in a pony's nature to seek more power and control," Twilight noted.

"Ah, yes, but I'm not talking about a pony's nature." She grinned and looked directly into Twilight's eyes. "Our souls know how to preserve the balance. It is natural, to our eternal selves, to give and be kind. Only the filters of our different bodies lead to greed, selfishness, and harm."

There was a long, warm silence after that.

"I would really like to believe this," Twilight said.

"You get to decide what you believe," Fluttershy cooed. "It's all part of life. If you ask me, I'd say you're on a very good path."

Twilight's wings twitched and she looked away. "Fluttershy... you said that life and death is a cycle, right?"

"Yes."

"Well... what happens if you can't die?"

"Alicorns die, Twilight."

Twilight's eyes snapped back to her friend's. "What?"

Fluttershy nodded slowly. "Matter is eternal, but it does not stay still for long. It might take you longer than the rest of us, but you will eventually learn all you can from this life and move on to another."

Tears colored with a dozen emotions lined the bottom of Twilight's eyes. "Do you really think so?"

"I do," Fluttershy said. "Heehee. Maybe, Twilight, you and I will meet again in another life. Maybe we'll be two neighboring trees in somepony's orchard."

Twilight smiled. "Or two rocks at the top of a mountain."

"Or two bunnies. Doing whatever bunnies do."

Angel grimaced and slapped Fluttershy's feathers. The ponies just laughed.