• Published 24th Apr 2015
  • 2,688 Views, 127 Comments

A New Life - Lunafan1k



A changeling survives a traumatic event at the cost of his memories, and his sanity. He makes new pony friends who try to help him, unknowingly making his condition worse.Takes place prior to the changeling invasion.

  • ...
9
 127
 2,688

Love

I was walking through some thick woods, I’m not sure for how long, but my hatred and resentment drove me forward into the unknown. I could hear myself muttering under my breath, cursing those whom angered me in such a way.

“Stupid… who needs them… never liked it there anyway… stupid changelings… stupid queen…”

I tripped over an exposed root, sending me to fall onto my face. “Ow. Stupid trees!” I pulled myself back up and kept walking, my book held close in my magic. “Well who needs them anyway? I’ll be just fine on my own. I’ll make my life mine, have a house, live with ponies in their villages, study my book… Bah, who am I kidding? I’ll probably slowly starve to death. Well, better starving out here and free than back there enslaved!” I skipped a bit as I walked.

“But then again I guess eighty-four eighty sub-delta isn’t much of a name… maybe I could be Delta?” I puffed out my chest and proclaimed, “I am Delta!” after a moment I deflated, “No that doesn’t sound better, reminds me of the other name… What about S? I don’t think there are any divisions of S… what would S be? Siegfried? Sieg? Sigma?” I paused at that one, “Sigma… sounds powerful... Yes, I think I like that one. Sigma!” I puffed out my chest again and exclaimed aloud, “Sigma! Sigma! Sigma!” I cheered.

But the darkness of the forest seemed to grow as the world around me changed. The forest’s trees grew further apart as the darkness loomed around me, a moment later I was aware of an incredible pain in the back of my head, as though my very being was being sucked away. The constant buzz I had known all my life vanished as the pain flared ten-fold, my mind feeling empty and devoid of everything but pain as I screamed.

“I think that’s enough of that.” I heard a voice say, suddenly the pain was gone and my world returned to a familiar sight, a faded blue plane with dust floating around everywhere.

“W-wha…?” I stuttered.

“I stopped the nightmare before it devolved into madness, Beetle. Or should I say, Sigma?” I turned around to see Princess Luna once again.

“It was just a dream…? It felt so real…” I said, shivering as I recalled the events.

“It was a memory.” Luna said as she went to a new window. I looked around; there were several windows now, most depicting things that happened after leaving the hospital and some of the Hairy Trotter book. The window Luna stood before was not one of the new ones.

“Your mind is recovering, as this is the event that caused your mind to shatter like glass. I was watching, out of sight, hoping to find the cause of your predicament. Unfortunately it appears it was an attack through the mind or the removal of something the mind usually can’t go without, resulting in the trauma.” Luna said and gazed at me questioningly.

I shrugged, “Beats me, I guess I had some resentment to whomever did this to me, but I can’t think of why or what for...” I trailed off as I gazed around to another window. “Oh! I got my book back though!” I cantered to the window of the flesh-bound book. “Twilight doesn’t appreciate it though; I think that’s why she’s mad at us.”

Luna gazed at it as well but said nothing. Instead she tapped it with her hoof, and what followed were a series of memories. A huge, underground cave with a chest, battling the undead, being bestowed with it, the dread and hatred of losing everything because I chose the book, finding it again at the top of the tower of the twin sisters, reeling in the power from the lich, being cheered by a city of undead, and sharing the last moment of the day with Rose.

The last image made me feel warm inside, I liked it. “I see, this explains the influx of nightmares about undead. Care to explain your version of events?” She asked. I nodded in response and spoke of everything I found out with the others today.

“I see… I’m… not sure what to think at the moment… but you said you, Twilight and Rose will be arriving in Canterlot tomorrow?” I nodded, “Then I would like to speak with you all personally alongside my sister. In the meantime, I think I have an important job for you. Come with me.” Luna said and walked through a door that wasn’t there a moment ago.

I followed her as we floated through a star-filled void to another door. Inside was pitch black, but I was able to see everything perfectly, and there in front of us was Rose. She sat under a beautiful tree filled with flowers as rose pedals surrounded her; the roses in her mane were stunning and beautiful, and at this moment I realized I was seeing what she looked like a thousand years ago. Her coat was a soft tan and she sat with such grace and poise. Her thin white dress fluttered easily in a non-existent breeze. In a word, she was gorgeous.

But then there was the mirror, it was reflecting back a dead, charred tree, the rose petals were dried and shriveled, and the roses in her mane were long dead. The reflection showed the Rose I knew, flesh stretched taunt over her ribs and the white of the bones showing through clearly. And she was sobbing, pounding her hooves desperately against the glass, unable to break through and reclaim what she once was.

I didn’t need prompting; I walked up to the mirror and stepped through as though it wasn’t there. She stopped pounding on the glass and stared at me, eyes red and swollen. I reached out and grabbed hold of her, pulling her into an embrace as she sobbed into my shoulder. The death around us and the reflection of her perfect self, faded into nothing as Luna exited through another door.


I slowly woke up to the feeling of a light shaking and the sounds of somepony sniffing. I opened my eyes to see Rose wrapped in my arm, shivering and crying softly in her sleep. I nuzzled the back of her head and neck with a few light shushes, and to my amazement she calmed down and began to rest a bit easier.

There was a creak to my right, I looked and saw Twilight standing there staring with a weird look on her face. She opened her mouth a few times but said nothing, looking conflicted on what to say or how to process the sight before her. Eventually she just shook her head and went off into another room. It must have been the kitchen because soon after the sounds and smells of food made their way to us.

Rose must have smelled it too; she shifted a bit and stretched out with a groan. Her eyes snapped open as she realized we were cuddling.

“… Morning.” She said.

“Morning.” I responded.

We lay there, still in each other’s arms with the blankets bundled around us.

“… About last night…” Rose started.

“I know. It’s alright; it’s a big change from who you were. You were beautiful.” Her eyes started to tear up, “But you are still beautiful. Don’t let your current appearance or others say you’re not, because I can see just how special you are.”

“Then… Then that was you… in that dream…?” She asked.

I nodded, “Luna checks up on me in my dreams sometimes, she’s helping my memories. She said you needed me, so I came to help.”

Rose pulled me close in a tight hug. “Thank you.” She then kissed me on the cheek! “For everything.” The kiss filled me with a sudden bout of energy that made me flush and made my heart pound furiously. What was this feeling? Was this… the feeling love that was mentioned in that Hairy Trotter book? Am I in love?

I stared into her eyes, searching for the answers to my questions. She stared back, her eyes so full of warmth and a small smile on her face. Was she feeling it too? What that why she kissed me? I realized just how close our muzzles were, our breath playing lightly across each other’s faces. I found myself leaning in closer just a hair, and watched as Rose partly closed her eyes and did the same. Our breathing became heavy as our lips-

“Breakfast!” Twilight called out from the kitchen.

We jumped a bit and looked to the doorway, Twilight wasn’t there, but we could hear her setting up the table. We looked back at each other and chuckled, the moment was ruined but we would remember, there would be other times to talk it out.

I used my magic to untangle the magic wrapping us together before we were able to detangle ourselves. We folded the blankets up and set them aside for now then headed into the kitchen. There were a few plates set up, each with a stack of tannish brown disks I couldn’t name.

“Good morning!” Twilight said cheerfully. I raised an eyebrow, perhaps sleep made her feel better?

Rose and I sat down at the table looking at the food in confusion. “What’s this food?” She asked.

“You’ve never had pancakes?” Twilight asked with a look of horror. “Pancakes are the best part of breakfast!” She declared.

“Only because it’s the only thing you can cook without setting the kitchen on fire.” A little green guy said as he waddled into the room and took a seat at the table as well.

Twilight scowled at him for a moment then relented, “He’s right…” Twilight placed another plate stacked with pancakes in the center of the table and sat as well.

“Uhhh…” I asked.

“Oh! I’m Spike! Twilight’s Number One Assistant! I help out around the library and make sure she eats properly when she’s studying. She tends to forget to do that.” Spike filled us in.

“So… Twilight is like a pet you have to take care of?” I asked.

This caused Spike to burst out in laughter and twilight glared at me for a moment but hid it with a smile, “No, he just helps out when I’m too busy to do other things.” She said.

“Yea that’s pretty much how it is.” He said.

I watched Spike slab some butter on them then drown them in syrup. I did the same, noticing Rose mimic as well. Once finished I cut off a portion and took a bite, chewing slowly to savor the taste. I don’t know how to describe it, but it was very sweet tasting. As I took another bite I saw rose was enjoying it as well. The stack of pancakes in the center of the table was quickly devoured as we all ate in relative silence.

I set my fork down as I finished, “Wow, that was pretty good.”

“Thank you.” Twilight said, leaning back and patting her stomach as well.

Rose, however, was staring pretty intensely at her empty plate. “Are you okay?” I asked.

She was silent for a moment, “This is kind of embarrassing, but parts of my body, particularly the digestive system, are active again… I think I need to use the outhouse.”

“The what?” I asked.

“Oh! The toilet! It’s the far room over there, go in the bowl of water and pull the silver lever to get rid of the waste!” Twilight called as Rose hurried into the room and closed the door.

Twilight sighed before relaxing in the chair, “So…” She started. I turned to her as she continued, “Awfully friendly this morning.”

“She was having night terrors and needed someone to be there for her.” I explained. “Luna even helped me into her nightmare.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes at me, looks like she didn’t sleep it off. “I don’t know what kind of game you’re playing, but I will find out, I’m watching you. Both of you. And if you think telling me Luna helped her out will help your case you are sorely mistaken. Once we get to Canterlot your plans will unravel and we’ll put a stop to you.”

I narrowed my eyes back at her, “I have no idea what you’re insinuating, but once we get to Canterlot, you are going to find that you are sorely mistaken, then I would like an apology, then you will apologize to Rose.”

She reared up and slammed her hooves on the table, “I’m not insinuating anything, but I’m on to you and your tricks!” Spike was nervously glancing between us as he busied himself with the dishes.

Before I could respond in my confusion I heard Rose cry out in panic in the toilet room, “AH! Help! Something’s happening!”

Twilight and I glared at each other before rushing to the door. As we opened the door I was introduced to the horror of the result of a thousand years of decayed food and blood overflowing from a clogged toilet. Rose and I quickly learned how to unclog a toilet while Spike and Twilight hid around the corner.

“Well, that was fun.” I said sarcastically.

“I’m so glad Twilight decided to help.” Rose replied.

“I think we should clean up in the shower, I don’t want to meet the princess covered in… stuff.” I moved to the tub and started the shower.

“Oh wow, this is rather nice. We just had a spring at the castle that everyone would share.” She remarked. “Come on, you can wash my back.”

“Alright.” I said. We hopped into the tub and started cleaning off and I assisted her with her back and other hard to reach spots. She actually needed much more attention, the amount of filth covering her body was incredible, I’m not sure how I didn’t notice before now.

We were alone in the bath, and we were able to speak to each other about our feelings for one another. Needless to say I was elated to learn that she shared my feelings as well. We shared out feelings, our newfound love for each other under the cascade of water as we kissed lovingly.

Eventually we parted lips, both breathing heavily from the exchange. “Oh Beetle…” She said.

I shook my head, “Sigma. My name is Sigma.”

She smiled, “You remembered?”

I smiled back, “Had a dream last night about it.”

She cooed, “Oh come here you sweet thing~”

Once we finished with the bath we stepped out and dried off, Rose appearing much more tan than brown and her red hair looked amazingly alive. The roses, however, were actually growing from the filth in her hair and not from her flesh. I took a stem and clipped it with my fangs and stuck it above her ear.

“There, perfect!” I exclaimed. She flushed a bit, visibly growing red in her cheeks.

“Thanks~!” She said, followed by another deep kiss, causing me to smile.

Once we were dry we departed the bathroom to see Twilight ready to head out the door with a pair of saddlebags across her back.

“Oh finally, I thought you both got lost. Now hurry up! We have a train to catch!” She said as Spike hopped onto her back.

I grabbed my book and the bags I think I stole from Pinkie and put them on, storing my book away as we headed out into the sun.