• Published 23rd Apr 2015
  • 1,115 Views, 25 Comments

The Princess and the Sentry - Neroson40



Basically a prequel that tells how Flash lost his memories.

  • ...
8
 25
 1,115

-What Could Possibly Go Wrong? -Everything

Twilight Sparkle

I woke up to Cadence knocking on the door of my room and asking if she could come in. I told her she could, though I’d have to wonder how she found the Inn the girls and I were staying at.

“Okay Twilight,” she said. “I heard about your date this afternoon.”
‘Aw great,’ I thought, ‘she’s here to lecture me,’ then I remembered that I had a date… and that it was with FLASH SENTRY of all colts! I got really nervous, what if Flash didn’t like me!? What if Shining was only telling me what I wanted to hear last night when he said that Flash did like me!? What Flash did like me but then it went away when he got to know the real me!? What if I didn’t like him after this date!? What if-
“Calm down, Twilight!” Cadance snapped me out of my episode just before my head hit the ceiling. “I know you’re worried, I was my first date too,” She assured me. “but the key to a good date is to let it happen.”

“That’s the thing! What if too much happens!?” Cadance looked half pitiful, and half joking.

“Trust me on this,” Cadance said. “Too much for Flash Sentry to take, that’s pretty close to impossible.” Those bullies did say he couldn’t fly. And judging by Flash’s tone that wasn’t the first time he dealt with them. But when I went to the Fall Formal with the Flash Sentry person, he played guitar and had no interest in protecting anything or anyone in such a way as the Flash Sentry pony does. What happened to him? Why was he in the guard? I wanted to ask Cadance, but she made it clear that she wasn’t talking about it if Flash didn’t.


Shining Armor

Was I on board with Flash Sentry, my subordinate and part-time friend, going on a date with Twilight Sparkle, one of four of our protection charges and my little sister? I’m sure I was at least eighty-six percent all for it, the other fourteen percent had to constantly be reminded that it was for both their self-esteem. Maybe even the rest of their lives…nguh, I hoped this didn’t cause me as much pain as I was expecting. I went to see Flash, give him a warning, then a pep talk, and take care of the rest of my daily chores. I found his quarters and knocked to find the place trashed and seemingly empty.

“Sentry!?” I was very worried, Flash was a messy colt, but there was always some organization to it. Today it looked like a storm blew through. I heard a groan, and found Flash huddled in the corner behind a toppled yet still intact mirror and a relocated trunk with the initials FS painted on it. He was shaking and mumbling, tears just wouldn’t stop coming out of his eyes, I came to two conclusions, either he was finally experiencing PTSD or something he had was spiked. I found a bottle of antidepressant pills spilled across the floor, picked them up, read the total and counted only two missing for each day since I was last here, including today. “Geez Louise,” I said. “What did you get into?” I picked him up and dragged him to the water bowl and dowsed his face.

“What was I doing?” Flash asked after he got his bearings.

“You took some happy pills and went crazy,” He looked at the corner he was in for a little bit.

“I don’t think it was the pills, sir.” I wasn’t starting this again. Screw the warning, screw the pep talk; I was not having him depressing me with his personal life.

“Just be ready for your date by noon,” I said. “If you don’t show up, it’ll be a good thing you don’t need those wings.” Serious shock, he didn’t dare call my bluff.


Flash Sentry

I was kinda happy that this date with Princess Twilight was actually happening, but at the same time, you’d think I was afraid all hay would break loose. Princess Cadance brought Twilight to the meeting spot, the Crystal Heart’s altar, and I swear my jaw would’ve dislocated if it dropped any lower. She was wearing a simple white sundress with a few flowers around the waist and train. Her hair had a couple waves in it, and if she was wearing any makeup, you couldn’t tell. If that Rarity mare worked on her look for this date, I wouldn’t be surprised. In fact, I’d say this was her best work yet.

“Hey, Flash,” she said sounding a little shy. What did she have to be shy about!?

“Hey, Twilight,” I said.

“Well, I’ll be back at the Palace,” Cadance said. “Flash please, try to show her a good time.” As she left I hoped she meant on the date.
“So, shall we?” I said gesturing down the road. She smiled, showing complete trust.
“Let’s.”