• Published 23rd Apr 2015
  • 8,144 Views, 118 Comments

As the Sunsets on the Past - Da Joestanator



Sunset Shimmer comes to Equestria for a visit

  • ...
7
 118
 8,144

Reunited and a New Teacher *UPDATED*

Sunset sat there with Philomena, waiting for Discord to come back like he said he would. She was still nervous about where he could have gone, but most of all, she was thinking about what she would tell the other when they found her. Fortunately, she wouldn’t have to think about it too long because right above her flashed a bright white light and her seven friends appeared right in mid-air. They screamed when they realized where they were, and each plummeted to the ground.

Rainbow Dash groaned and rubbed her head. “What just happened?”

Twilight picked herself up. “I think I have an idea… DISCORD!!!!!”

“You called?” Discord grinned mischievously as he floated down right next to the seven.

“Now, Discord,” Fluttershy scolded gently, “remember what we talked about teleporting us without asking?”

“Yeah, only in case of emergencies, or if I want to teleport ponies to an awesome surprise party,” Pinkie added.

“Oh but this is an emergency, my little ponies,” Discord smirked knowingly. “I believe you lost somepony.”

He gestured to Sunset who just rubbed her hooves awkwardly. “Uh… hi, guys,” she said awkwardly.

“Sunset Shimmer!” The seven friends immediately ran up to Sunset and pulled her into a tight group hug, which she did not resist.

“Darling, why did you take off like that?” Rarity asked. “We were worried sick about you.”

“Yeah, we looked everywhere for you,” Pinkie added in her hyper fashion. “We looked in the bathrooms, and the hallways, and the dance floors, and the swimming pool…”

“They have a swimming pool?” Applejack was curious.

“Yep, and I maaaay or may not have jumped in and played Marco Pony to see if I could get Sunset to come out,” Pinkie smiled sheepishly.

“I think what we want to know most of all is, Sunset, are you ok?” Twilight draped a wing over Sunset’s shoulder.

“Yes, I’m ok now. And I’m sorry for running out like that, everypony. It’s just…”

“We understand, Sunset,” Fluttershy interrupted. “This is one of the scariest things you’ve ever had to do… But we weren’t making it easy saying how easy it was going to be.”

“Truth be told, sugarcube, we have no idea what it was like for you to go through all this,” Applejack sympathized. “We just wanted to make you feel better about having to go through with it.”

Sunset could only smile. “No, it’s ok, really. I know all your hearts were in the right places. I guess I was just so scared… I forgot that I had all of you to have my corner… Which I could really use now.”

“Well duh,” Rainbow Dash smirked. “Of course we’ve got your corner. Hello, we came all the way out here with you, didn’t we?”

“We won’t leave your side for a second, darling,” encouraged Rarity. “We know this won’t be easy–“

“But we know you can do it, Sunny! And then, after you and Princess hug it out, we can finally PARTY!!!” Pinkie cheered.

Sunset sighed and smiled one last time, “Ok… For real, I’m ready.”

“Oh, that reminds me,” Discord said knowingly. “I forgot some ponies.” He snapped his claw one more time, and Princesses Celestia and Luna appeared in another flash of light, right in front of the others.

Celestia gathered herself. “Discord, what is the meaning of–“ She opened her eyes and gasped… And for the first time since all those years ago, Sunset and Celestia’s eyes met face to face. Their faces mirrored each other perfectly: Their eyes as wide as dinner plates, their jaws dropped and quivering, and a wet shine glazed over their eyes. Neither one dared to break eye contact.

Twilight awkwardly cleared her throat to break the awkward silence, “Like we were saying before, Princess Celestia, say hello to an old friend.” Twilight gestured her hoof towards Sunset. “Move back a bit, ponies,” she whispered to her friends. “Give them some space.” Everypony stepped back a little to give the two enough space, but still stayed close to comfort them both.

Celestia, still shocked, finally spoke. “S-S-Sunset Shimmer,” was all she could manage.

“Princess Celestia…” Sunset was at a loss of words too, but she respectfully bowed on instinct.

This shocked Celestia even more, she couldn’t remember the last time she had seen Sunset bowed like this. “Sunset… my little pony… my little Sunset.”

That did it; the dam had burst, the tears were now flowing out of Sunset’s eyes, she couldn’t contain herself anymore. She galloped right towards Celestia and wrapped her hooves around her former mentor’s neck, clinging on as if her very life depended on it. Nopony dared to breathe a word as she clung to her mentor’s neck and sobbed into her chest.

Her voice was sad and broken by her hysterical sobbing, but she didn’t care. “I’m sorry, Princess! I’m so, so sorry! I should never have left you! You didn’t deserve any of it! I’d take it back if I could! I’d take everything I said back! I’d… I’d…”

“Shhh. It is alright, Sunset. I’m here now. Everything will be okay,” Celestia whispered to Sunset comfortingly, gently rubbing her back. Her tears were quieter than Sunset’s, but she didn’t try to stop them as she held her former student close like she wanted to all those years ago.

Meanwhile, Twilight, her friends, and even Discord were shedding tears of joy of their own… though Rarity, Pinkie, and Discord’s cries were a bit more hysterical and almost comical in light of the situation.

“Never thought I’d see the Master of Chaos cryin’,” Applejack teased.

“I’m not crying,” Discord sniffled. “It’s… liquid pride. Everypony does it”

Luna smiled approvingly at Twilight, “You know, Twilight, I do believe you’ve made a nice habit out of it.”

“A habit of what?” Twilight wiped her eyes.

“A habit of helping ponies face their past,” Luna answered. Nopony else could bear to speak as Celestia and Sunset stayed in their embrace; they all just watched happily at the touching reconnecting before them.

----------

After an hour, the 12 of them returned inside the castle throne room. Celestia and Sunset had finally calmed down, but Luna stayed by her sister’s side and Philomena perched on her shoulder; Pinkie had wrapped Sunset into a tight hug and didn’t let go once as they all made their way inside.

Fluttershy put her hoof on Sunset’s shoulder, “Are you feeling any better, Sunset? …Um, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I’m feeling way better, Fluttershy. Just glad to get all that out of my system.” Sunset smiled lightly, then turned to a certain hugging pink mare. “Pinkie Pie, you can stop hugging me now. I’ll be ok.”

“Awww,” pouted Pinkie, “Can’t I stay like this for a few more seconds?” A blue and violet aura answered her question, as Twilight and Rarity used their magic to levitate her off of Sunset. Rarity then gave her bubbly friend a pat on the shoulders for caring for her friend.

Twilight approached her fellow princesses, “What about you, Princess Celestia? Are you okay?”

Celestia gently rubbed her eyes with her wing. “I assure you, Twilight, I’ve felt worse. In fact, tonight you and your friends have once again made me feel better than I’ve felt in days.”

“They made me feel better than I ever felt in years,” Sunset added. She looked up at Celestia sadly. “I know I’ve said it already, but I’m…”

Celestia gently placed a hoof over Sunset’s mouth, “Please, child; I think you’ve apologized more than enough… In fact, it is I that owes you the apology.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Rainbow Dash interjected. “No offense, your majesty, but what’ve you got to apologize for?”

“Yeah, why should you apologize?” Sunset was confused, “I was the one who ran away.”

“That may be,” Celestia lowered her head, “But in a way, I drove you to run away.” Celestia solemnly turned away and started explaining what she meant.

“You see, banishing your best and oldest friend to the moon does not come without feelings of remorse and sorrow. After I banished my sister, I made a personal vow that I would never let what happened to her happen to anypony else. Most of all, that if I ever took on a student, I would not allow them to be consumed by the dark side. Of course, I never counted that I would get a student as ambitious or eager as you.

“I saw that you had dreams, BIG dreams. Dreams that seemed a little too big for a filly at your age,” Sunset blushed and looked away, but Celestia continued. “I could have been a better teacher; I could’ve shown you a much better outlet for your energy, hooves-on, and I could have done a better job of steering you to a better life… but I didn’t. I drove you away and let you go into that other world alone where you could have gotten hurt. It’s not every millennia that a princess fails TWO of the most important ponies in her life.” Celestia dropped her head downwards so nopony could see the one lone tear trailing down. Luna and Philomena saw the tear, and started nuzzling her from both sides.

Sunset picked herself up. “Princess, I had no idea you felt that way about me running away.”

“I never made it clear how I really felt, my little Sunset.” Celestia turned to face her subjects. “But just like Twilight, you were always like a daughter to me… And I should never have let you go.”

Rainbow Dash couldn’t stop her tears. “Darn it! I thought we were done liquid pride-ing!”

Twilight wiped her eyes and stepped up. “If I may, I think I can settle this.” Celestia, Sunset, and their friends listened. “Mistakes were made, we all know that, but it doesn’t mean either one of you are bad ponies. You made mistakes, I made mistakes, everypony makes mistakes.” Twilight’s friends nodded and looked away awkwardly. “But what’s important is that we learn something from our past to make us the better ponies we want to be.”

Discord whispered to Spike, “Do you think she practices these lessons in a mirror?” Spike just shrugged as they both grabbed a dog biscuit from Spike’s box.

Celestia smiled at her fellow princess, “You still surprise me everyday, Twilight Sparkle. And you’re right; we cannot change the past, but the future is what we wish it to be.” Celestia pulled both her students close with her wings, “But Sunset, I must ask about you saying you’d take everything back.”

Sunset grew nervous again. “Yes, Princess?”

“I know you regret what you’ve done, but in a way I am actually glad they occurred.”

“R-really? How could you be glad about all the horrible stuff I’ve done?”

“Because, my little pony, without the events of your past, you never would have discovered the magic of friendship as the rest of us have.”

Sunset’s friends all smiled at her. “I guess you’re right,” Sunset smiled back. “I never would have had the courage to come here if it wasn’t for my friends.”

“A-hem!” Discord cleared his throat loudly as a halo appeared over his head.

Sunset giggled, “All my friends, including Discord.”

Fluttershy flew up beside Discord. “You did a good thing today, Discord.”

Rainbow Dash joined them. “Yeah, not bad for a former manipulative creep.”

“Oh you say the sweetest things, Rainbow Dash,” teased Discord. “But seriously, I felt I at least owed it to a fellow reformed villain, right?” He smiled knowingly at Sunset, who smiled back. “Well, I think it’s about time I head off. I’ve got a house to mow and a lawn to paint, you know how it is.” He handed Fluttershy the picture he took with Sunset, “Be sure to add this to our scrapbook; it’s a keeper.” Fluttershy nodded eagerly.

“Discord wait,” Sunset called out, “Think I’ll get to see you again while I’m here?”

“Oh I have the feeling you’ll see me a lot, Sunny; sometimes when you don’t want me around.” Discord winked. “Until next time, arrivederci everypony!” With that, Discord snapped his paw and disappeared back home.

“Awww,” moaned Pinkie Pie, “I wanted to ask if he wanted to come to our Sunset Shimmer party afterwards.”

“Either way, the past is behind us all,” Luna smiled, “and we couldn’t be happier for your return to Equestria, Sunset Shimmer.” The princesses bowed, and Sunset bowed back.

“And should you ever need anything while you are here,” Celestia continued, “You need only ask.”

Sunset pondered for a bit, then an idea popped into her head. “Actually, Princesses, there was one more thing I wanted to ask.” She motioned the two to come in closer; she whispered her request to the two of them. Both princesses looked on in surprise, they looked at each other and smiled warmly.

Celestia then trotted right up to Twilight with the warmest of smiles, “Well, Twilight, Sunset seems to have an interesting proposal, and we all feel you’re ready for the next step of being a princess.”

“The next step?” Twilight was confused, “What is the next step?”

“Teaching your very own student.” Celestia and Luna stepped aside, so now Sunset and Twilight were staring straight at each other.

The gears turned in Twilight’s head… and her heart pounded harder than ever in her chest.

“S-Sunset? You… you want to be my… my…”

“That’s right, Twilight,” finished Sunset. “It only makes sense; you were the pony who saved me from myself, you made sure I was being taken care of when you had to go home, and you encouraged me try my hardest to beat the Dazzlings, and you answered all my letters when I wrote to you in the journal. In a way, I was already your student by writing you those letters.”

Spike smirked proudly, “Told you so.”

“I can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done, but I hope this is a good start.” Sunset respectfully bowed again, “So, Princess Twilight Sparkle, I would be honored if you could teach me more about friendship while I am here.”

This was all too much for Twilight; she started to wobble and sway dizzily, “My… my… my very own student and it’s Sun…” Finally, the overwhelmed Twilight fell to the ground and passed out.

Everypony was alarmed. “Maybe this was a bad idea,” sighed Sunset.

That’s what she thought, until a few seconds later, Twilight was standing upright again, with a gigantic grin that stretched from ear to ear. “I GET TO HAVE MY VERY FIRST STUDENT!!!!” Twilight squealed loudly, she then leaped straight at Sunset, pulling her into a huge bear hug. “Oh this is so exciting!! All my time as a princess I’ve been wondering what it’s like to have my own student, somepony else I can teach everything I know about friendship! And I can write my own quizzes, and grade papers, and even read essays just like a REAL TEACHER!!!! And who better to teach than one of my best friends ever! Oh this is the best news ever, I’M GOING TO BE SUNSET SHIMMER’S TEACHER!!!”

Sunset wiggled a bit in Twilight’s grip, but she couldn’t help smiling at Twilight’s enthusiasm. “So, I can count that as a yes?”

Twilight giggled awkwardly, “Um… yes.” But as she let go of Sunset, it hit her, “Oh, my gosh… I’m going to be a teacher!” Her friends knew that it was panicking time for Twilight. “Oh no…. I don’t know the first thing about being a teacher! What if I grade an assignment wrong! What if I have to teach something even I don’t know! What if I fall behind of my friendships and my lesson plan! What do I do?! I CAN’T DO THIS ALONE!!!!”

“Uh, ahem,” Applejack pointed out teasingly. “Ya ain’t exactly gonna do this alone, sugarcube. You’ll still have us.” She, and the rest of Twilight’s friends smiled reassuringly, as if to show Twilight and Sunset that everything will be ok.

“Yeah, you didn’t think you’d have to do this all by yourself, did you? You know we always got your back,” Rainbow Dash added.

“Plus, this is so fun-er-iffic! Now it’s like we’re ALL teachers,” Pinkie cheered.

“There’s so much we can teach Sunset about friendship too,” Fluttershy added.

“Plus, I think it might be delightful to have another regular unicorn in our group,” Rarity awkwardly added.

“...Pretty much what they said,” Spike fidgeted awkwardly.

“Thank you girls,” Twilight smiled, calming down.

“Thanks from both of us,” Sunset added, and once again found herself pulled into a group hug, surrounded by her seven friends/teachers.

As Celestia and Luna looked on, Philomena chirped something into Celestia’s ear. Celestia smiled. “Well, Sunset, it looks like Philomena has an idea for your very first assignment.” She then levitated a small box from behind to Sunset, and inside the box was a beautiful orange and yellow egg with a fiery pattern on its shell.

Sunset gasped in amazement. “Is that… a phoenix egg?”

“Consider it a gift from an old friend. Your fiery passion in what you did DID land you into trouble when you were younger, but it also gave me Philomena.” Philomena nuzzled Celestia’s cheek. And we hope your passion and rediscovered compassion will give this little egg the home it deserves.”

Sunset looked at the little egg in the box and smiled warmly. “I’ll give this baby phoenix the best home it’ll ever have, Princess.” She held the box close, as everypony else smiled at the tender moment, happy for their friend.

Then, Sunset turned to her friends and smirked, “Well, now that I’m officially a student, I think there’s only one thing left to do; right, Pinkie Pie?”

Pinkie Pie’s grin stretched halfway across her face, “I thought nopony was gonna ask!” Pinkie pulled out her patented party cannon, and a large explosion of confetti burst out of it. Before anypony knew it, the whole room was covered in balloons, streamers, tables full of tasty goodies, and even a record player.

Sunset raised an eyebrow, “How does she fit all that into one cannon?”

“It’s Pinkie Pie, sometimes it’s better if you don’t ask questions,” Spike replied.

Luna looked apprehensively around, “This IS all very impressive, but are you certain it is wise to have a celebration in the throne room?”

“Oh come now, Luna; it has been a long time since we’ve celebrated one’s return,” Celestia winked at Luna, “and this is definitely a cause for celebration.”

“Whoo-hooo! SUNSET SHIMMER’S WELCOME-BACK-TO-EQUESTRIA PAAARTAAAAY!!!!” cheered Pinkie Pie as she zoomed over to the record player and dropped the needle. Out of the record player blasted a loud upbeat musical tune. The rhythm of the tune was so infectious, most of the ponies couldn’t resist dancing to the tune; and nopony danced harder than Pinkie Pie or Celestia.

Sunset and Twilight didn’t join the others on the dance floor just yet, “You do realize that as your new teacher, I take all school assignments VERY seriously,” Twilight explained, trying to sound authoritative… It didn’t work.

Sunset only giggled. “I don’t mind, really. Can’t be any harder than what I’ve already been through. …But we can still do all that other fun stuff you and the girls came up with?”

Twilight beamed. “Well duh! The girls and I keep coming up with even more fun stuff we can do while you’re here. And I am NOT letting you miss the Star Swirl traveling museum! They’re going to display all the vials he used when he was mixing the potions that cured the Clydesdale fur blight epidemic!”

Sunset was excited again. “No way!”

“No kidding!”

Both unicorns squealed loudly and excitedly.

Twilight cleared her throat awkwardly. “But seriously, I only have one major assignment; every lesson you learn about friendship, I want you to write them down in your journal… I MAY or may not have a term paper ready by the end of the summer.”

Sunset rolled her eyes, “I’ll write down everything you tell me. In fact, I already have an idea for my first entry.”

“Oh? And what’s that?”

Letting go of the past is never easy,” Sunset began reciting, “but your friends will make sure you never have to do it alone.

Twilight smiled in approval. “Couldn’t have said it better myself.”

Pinkie Pie bounced up and grabbed a hold of their hooves. “What’re you silly fillies waiting for? We’ve still got a whole lot of partying to do!!”

Twilight and Sunset just giggled and joined their friends on the dance floor. The last two days had been rocky, but none of that mattered now. For now, Sunset Shimmer was enjoying having a clear conscience and dancing with her friends. She was going to miss her friends back at Canterlot High while they’re away on break, but she was going to enjoy spending time with her friends in Equestria –old and especially new.

The End …for now.

Author's Note:

And thus, my very first pony fic is completed. Let me know what you think of the whole story in the comments... and if you'd want to see a sequel fic (Or sequels ;) ).

Comments ( 47 )

While in my headcanon Sunset wants to have Twiight as a friend and equal than a mentor the fic ended in a nice note.

One point against the last chapter: its title "Reunited and a New Teacher" is too spoiler-y for a chapter title, in partucilar the latter part. You missed the chance to surprise your readers.

Overall, It was a good read. I wouldn't mind reading more from you, either from this setting (Sunset next few months is going to be in Equestria) or something else.

Sequels are always welcomed, kinda interested on seeing how you would have Sunset succeed in the studies of friendship.

I enjoyed it. I saw very one or two minor grammar errors that were likely just missed during proofreading, and the characters sounded in-character (I could easily here the characters saying their lines). There was one concern I had, and it was the idiom "got your corner" that you used twice. Perhaps it's different where you live, I don't know, but I believe the proper idiom is "in your corner". As in, "You've got us in your corner." It's a minor concern and doesn't take away from the whole at all, but I thought it'd be nice to know. Lastly, I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel. :twilightsmile:

Really amazing story! Yes do a sequel about the summer break. It would be great to see Sunsets time in Equestria before she goes back to the human world

"The End... For Now", usually means a sequel. Can't wait!

Hey, why is your cover art squished together?

NOOO NOT THE END!

Any chance you could now do a story like episodes of the show but with Sunset and you can show all they things they were gong to do and all that?

Yes please please please do a sequel I absolutely loved this story.

Is Celestia Sunset's surrogate mother in this one?

I sorter predicted this when I first saw the last Equestria Girls. I figured on season five of the show they would have a continuous teaching of Twilights new student. But they let me down the opening was there, and the company that made My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic didn't follow up with it.

now back to your story I really loved it, and I shall follow you for it thanks for a great read. :pinkiehappy:

Not a bad story at all. Well done.

Very sweet ending to a sweet fic. :pinkiesad2: And I can imagine Sunset having a Phoenix for a pet, given her newest kickass solo.

No kidding!” Both unicorns squealed loudly and excitedly.

I think you mean just ONE unicorn. :twilightsmile:

loved the ending:)

Well done for your first story, I shall follow and please, do a sequel!

I demand a sequel. NOW! :flutterrage:

sequel please i loved this.:pinkiehappy:

Personally, I would have just had Twilight prancing around Sunset going: "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!" but your way works just as well! :twilightblush:

If you do want to do more with this universe, I'd be interested to see it!

Just some thoughts about your story in general:
Discord's depiction was fantastic, really enjoyed his appearance.
On the other hand however, Twilight felt so Season 2-3-ish - she is much more competent by the time your story takes place, I believe.
Also, when characters emphasise words in dialogues, you should consider using italic/lower case characters. Good thing you separated the paragraphs from each other better though.

Anyway, didn't mean to sound picky, it was a good read in general, thumbs up. A sequel would be welcomed on my part.:pinkiehappy:

5954558 well face it, being a teacher like Princess Celestia is a bit of a challenge for her, she's still learning in some places. Anyways, thanks for the comment

Please do a sequel.

Kinda curious as to what a Phoenix would turn into in the human world. And whether or not they'd still be immortal

6345596 they were counting Sunset before she came through

please do a sequel i really like this idea

me like :yay:

sequel plz :fluttercry:

6511224 What this guy/gal said.

Sunset's Summer Break

DO IT.

That was such a great story. I would love to see a sequel. Please do so. :pinkiehappy:

Now there's a new one "liquid priding" gotta remember that one.

This story is just wonderful, it gets to me every time I read it.

6909059
:facehoof: never mind...at least someone got it...:ajbemused:

Are you going to publish this story's sequel soon?

6955612 I've been trying to plan out this story's sequel/balance other stuff like my new job at WatchMojo

6956920 Wait, as in WatchMojo.com?

6957776 yeah, I got a job there last month, and I'm also working on a fanfic series with a friend of mine. Plus, I need to get back in a pony mood to get back into writing ponies

Random Question: Twilight Sparkle X Flash Sentry or Sunset Shimmer X Flash Sentry?

7332351 neither. Twilight x Sunset for me :)

Well that's okay, I respect your opinions ;).

good ending,
though I half expect for discord or princess to make comment about sister should be together, and say sunset and twilight are in fact sisters...

Sequels​, please.

I think one thing I really love about this story is that, apart from a few lines that feel directly quoted off the show, the writing style of this is impressively close to that of the series, to the point where I could easily imagine this being an actual episode. It hits pretty much the same beats the show would, the characters all act how they would, and the tone is a great balance between emotional and cutesy.

And considering the actual show probably won't tackle this idea (unfortunately), it makes me all the more happy to have read this. Great job all around.

That’s what she thought, until a few seconds later, Twilight was standing upright again, with a gigantic grin that stretched from ear to ear. “I GET TO HAVE MY VERY FIRST STUDENT!!!!” Twilight squealed loudly, she then leaped straight at Sunset, pulling her into a huge bear hug. “Oh this is so exciting!! All my time as a princess I’ve been wondering what it’s like to have my own student, somepony else I can teach everything I know about friendship! And I can write my own quizzes, and grade papers, and even read essays just like a REAL TEACHER!!!! And who better to teach than one of my best friends ever! Oh this is the best news ever, I’M GOING TO BE SUNSET SHIMMER’S TEACHER!!!”

sigh What could have been.

“Plus, I think it might be delightful to have another regular unicorn in our group,” Rarity awkwardly added.

I MFUCKINGDEA D

10498759
oof, and yea, Buck's great, :D

<----- and a great singer too, (if you havn't seen Ice Age 5, that's a spoiler,)

for full,

For your very first MLP fic, you did a really great job!

Login or register to comment