• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 1,420 Views, 19 Comments

The Parallel Temple - AzureDreams



A long forgotten temple. Two people and a new world

  • ...
1
 19
 1,420

The Notebook

One more step...

Just one...

One more step and it will be mine.

The fame. The acknowledgment. The acknowledgment that I was right. That there was something special here, that maybe this is why all those mysterious things happened.

Just. One. More. Step.

So why am I hesitating?

So many things don't add up. The small doorways, the pictograms of zebras and horses, or unicorns and Pegasi doing things like men. And then there's that uneasy feeling that I don't belong here, like I'm an intruder on sacred ground.

Not once did I notice a doorway my size or a drawing of a man. I practically had to crawl my way here. My friends had vanished in this area years ago and now as memories of them come back to me, and I realize why I'm hesitating.

I am afraid. I am terrified that I will end up like them. Like rose or jerry or even 'ski' (God how he hated that nickname) that I'll just vanish like all the others in the Bermuda Triangle. Just another mystery to be solved.

No.

"I will not be afraid."

I reach out my hand and take the journal lying on the dirt beside the throne.

Now I know what anyone seeing me would be thinking "Really a journal? That’s what all the fus is about?!" Probably followed by them face palming at my antics.

Still it's not everyday you find a ruin on an island in the middle of the bermuda triangle. Much less a journal in perfect condition after it had been left there for God knows how long.

Barely able to contain my excitement I crack open the journal.

Disappointment fills my mind at the sight of the tattered faded pages. Guess it only looked good on the outside.

Wait. There's a few pages at the back still legible.

April 4th 1946

It's been a week now since we crashed into the sea nearby. I can still hear the sound of John crashing into the beach after his ejection failed. First thing we did after making sure John was dead was head for the only shelter around, that damned temple like structure. This place is a graveyard. I've seen things I thought only existed in history book here. The broken Greek columns, the roman encampment, the list goes on. And yet, not a single body. It's starting to creep the men out and to be honest I'm a little scared. Where did they go? I have a bad feeling about this.

April 5th 1946

Johnson went missing today. We were exploring that temple building, looking for supplies when he vanished. No cries for help no warning, just vanished. We searched everywhere no sign he was ever here, just more of those odd pictures on the walls. We're moving the camp off to the old 'roman' camp. Stetson says that they're real but even I know history well enough to know that Rome never made it to america. Ninth legion my ass.

April 6th 1946

Just me and Jaskal now. It was certainly an unpleasant surprise when Stetson disappeared. He went all on about his missing legion never thought he would shut up about it honestly. Told him to take a walk and calm down. Jaskal told me Stetson never came back this morning. Spent the whole day searching the camp and temple still nothing. I'm scared. I thought the rescue planes would have been here by now. But after this morning I'm starting to believe that we're going to die here, Or worse, just vanish.

April 7th 1946

Just me.
Alone.
There watching me.

Waiting for me to go to sleep. I know it. I won't let them take me.

April 12th? 1946

I can't do it anymore. I fell asleep today and when I woke up I felt it.

The eyes on me felt closer. The temple, there coming from the temple. I won't go without a fight.

Good thing I sharpened that old sword.

And the journal ends, just ends.

I'm right! This is where all the the people over the years have vanished to! Now all I have to do is get show this to the right people and I'll be famous!

Making my way to the beach where me and my partner (if only she had said yes and became my wife) beached the boat, I think about all the wonderful things in store for us.

Huh. Where is Samarasan? I could have sworn she was here when I left. Did she follow me? No no if she did I would have seen her on the way out back or in the temple. She's probably just laying down inside the boat, I swear she takes more naps than a 3 year old.

Chuckling I climb in the boat and head below.

I feel my breath catch at the sight in front of me. The radio is smashed and a hole has been torn in the side of my boat.

"What the hell happened?!?"

Mind racing with what I'm going to tell Samarasan when she gets back, I can't help but notice the time. It's 11:59, we have been here one day. And my partner is missing.

No that can't be right 'she will be back later' I tell myself but deep down all I can think about is that journal. One day he said. One person a day.

"Come on! this is ridiculous I can't seriously be thinking that's true? Can I?"

Completely distract by my ramblings, I didn't see the oil lying on the floor. One misstep and down I went. CRACK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The very first thing I think when I come to is wonder why I'm on the floor. I mean I have a bed don't I? So why the hell am I not sleeping in it? Then I remember yesterday. The ruins, the encampment, the temple, and finally the journal and my missing partner.

Surely she is back by now?

Looking around I can't find any sight of her

"Samarasan? Hello, Samarasan are you there?"

Silence.

"You can stop now, it's not funny!"

~Come.~

There is a whisper. Walking towards where I think the whisper is coming from I call out.

"You hiding over here?"

~Come.~

"Dam it Samarasan! This joke isn't amusing anymore!"

~Come.~

(Sigh) "Fine you win I'll play your little game. Where am I headed?"

~Come.~ this comes from the left of me.

'Why am I playing this game of hers?'

After a while filled with more 'comes' I find myself in front of the temple again.

"Really? You just wanted to show me the temple?"

~Inside.~

"No Samarasan I refuse to play your game any longer! Come out now!"

~INSIDE!~

The voice no longer sounds like Samarasan, not even close. Still despite my refusal I find myself on my hands and knees crawling inside.

"Wha!? I'm not moving! Stop it! "

Helplessly I am a passenger in my own body as I crawl towards the chamber where I found the journal yesterday. The journal that's clinched in my hands, the front pages getting more ragged with every inch I crawl. Well at least I know why the front was so torn inside, I think to myself bitterly and filled with panic.

~Close. So close.~

I'm here. The throne where I found the journal lies in front of me.

~SIT.~

The command rings outs out and once again I am helpless to stop myself I stand up and sit on the throne.

A blinding flash and a gust of wind blows through the empty chamber ruffling a journal on the floor.