• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 4,821 Views, 93 Comments

Tomorrow - Kodeake



Princess Twilight Sparkle has been getting strange looks from the castle guards, Celestia has been avoiding her, and it's all starting to get to her. Something's wrong, but she doesn't know what changed.

  • ...
18
 93
 4,821

Epilogue

Happiness is short and fleeting, but sorrow is eternal. We must all cling to what little joys we can find, lest we drown in the sea of our own grief, our own tears. Never forget those you have lost, but do not let loss consume you, lest you be too absorbed in your own sadness to see the occasional bliss that makes life worth living.


Twilight laid silently in the cool grass, staring up at her immortalized lover. The marble sculpture captured Rainbow Dash's essence perfectly. From the proud, cocky smile across her face to the wind-swept mane and wide-spread wings. She cared little for the dark trails running down her cheeks as she read over the golden plaque again and again.

A gentle, feathered wing slid over her back.

“Hey, Dashie,” she greeted without turning away. “It's a nice day out; we should go flying.” Her tears dried, slowly, leaving only her matted cheeks as evidence they were ever there at all.

“Twilight...”

The alicorn jolted at the voice that most certainly did not belong to Rainbow Dash. She snapped her head around, eyes widening. “P-Princess!”

Celestia sighed quietly, shifting herself further into the grass. “Just Celestia, Twilight. Please.”

Twilight smiled, relaxing into the comforting wing of her former mentor. “Right, sorry; old habbits die hard, I guess.”

She could see the pain flash in the older alicorns eye as she said; “Some harder than other, it seems.”

“Celestia? Are you alright?” Twilight asked, tentatively. She craned her neck, struggling to get a better read on Celestia's face. The princess, however, seemed unable or unwilling to meet her gaze, and Rainbow Dash's words came back to her; If you're really this worried, just talk to Celestia tomorrow.

Taking a breath, Twilight steeled her resolve. “You've been acting... odd around me, these past couple months. What's wrong?”

Celestia visibly shuddered. “It's... it's nothing, Twilight; don't worry about it.”

“I've known you long enough to spot where you're lying,” Twilight said pointedly, narrowing her eyes slightly. “What's wrong?” She repeated, more forcefully this time.

For a time there was a hesitant silence floating in the air, the most notable noise being the pair's own breathing. Eventually, Celestia sighed, the weight of centuries carried on her breath.

“Do you know where we are, Twilight?”

Twilight quirked her head to the side. “The castle's Statue Gardens?”

Celestia nodded before asking again; “And specifically, where are we?”

“Oh..” Twilight trailed off, looking to the statue in front of them but deliberately avoiding the plaque. “We're... we're at Rainbow's statue.”

“More than just her statue,” Celestia corrected solemnly. “Twilight... this is her grave.”

A quiet breeze blew through the gardens, hindered only slightly by the tall, bordering hedges. Twilight felt the tears coming again, felt them beading in the corner of her eyes. “I-.... I know...” Her voice was shaky and uneven, like a foal's first steps.

“And yet, day after day, you walk through the halls talking as though she were standing right beside her.” Celestia finally turned to look the smaller mare in the eye. “The guards think you're delusional. That you couldn't handle the passing of your lover so soon after your friends.”

She was crying openly now, struggling not to simply break down and start sobbing. “M-maybe they're right...”

“I don't think so,” Celestia continued, looking over the ornate statue. “I think you know full well what happened, but you don't want to accept it. So you pretend, you shroud yourself in your memories and pretend it never happened.”

“So what!?” Twilight shouted, suddenly, staring resolutely at the dirt. “So what if I do!? They... they were my friends! My... my wife... and they're all gone! Why can't I pretend!?”

“Twilight-”

Twilight growled as she stood, forcing Celestia's wing from her back. “Don't you know what it's like? To see everypony you care about, everypony you love die right before your eyes, helpless to stop it? Rainbow's the only thing stopping me from going mad with grief, and you'd have me, what, just forget about her!?”

“Of course not,” Celestia protested in a quiet voice, the kind that commanded attention. “But you can't live like this.”

“Why can't I!? I loved- love, her. Why can't I just pretend, why can't I just be happy!?”

“It's not healthy, Twilight; you have to know that. Death is something everypony must deal with, at some point,” Celestia said, as soothingly as she could manage. “You have to deal with it and, one day, move on from it. Death cannot define you.”

Twilight's hooves shook beneath her. “Nopony has to deal with death like I do – like we do. Immortality is nothing but a curse. Rainbow Dash keeps me sane, keeps the pain away. I just-” she broke off into strangled sobbing, her tears raining down on the grass that had often welcomed her sorrow.

“I just want the pain to go away.”

“Twilight please-”

“No!” Twilight snapped, glaring through her crying eyes. “I'm not giving up; I'm not letting her go.”

A deep frown creased Celestia's lips, the corners of her mouth weighed down with an empathy few others could offer. “I'm sorry, Twilight. I'm so very sorry, but you have to let her go.”

“No, I don't. I never will.”

Celestia felt a single tear rolling down her cheek, her options growing more and more limited by the second. Until only one remained “I'm... I'm sorry it has to be this way, Twilight.” She lit her horn. “But I can't stand to see you like this, and neither can Equestria.”

Twilight's head snapped up. “Wh-what are you-” Then she felt it. That familiar, aged and practised magic.

In her mind.

“No! No you can't! Please no!” Twilight's own horn sputtered to life, but in her emotionally distraught state she could produce little more than a few harmless sparks.

Celestia's cheeks grew wet as she closed her eyes to focus. “I'm so sorry, this is for your own good.”

Twilight shook her head, as through trying to shake off the magic in her mind. “You can't take her from me! No! Please no you can't!”

With a strangled sob, Celestia's horn flashed once, and then went dark. Twilight's hooves flew to the sides of her head and she screamed into the grass before slumping to the ground in silence.

Doing her best to regain composure, Celestia only barely managed to stop her tears as Twilight woke up with a groan.

“Ugh... my head... Celestia? What happened?”

“You fell asleep,” the alicorn answered calmly. “It is rather peaceful out here.”

Twilight blinked, mildly confused, before turning to the statue in front of her. She could feel the sadness welling up in her chest, but she didn't cry. Her eyes trailed down to the plaque, and she tilted her head curiously.

Here lies Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolt.
The Loyalist of friends
and most faithful of lovers

“That's odd, I don't remember Rainbow ever marrying...”

Celestia bit her tongue. Hard. “It's just something nice to put on the tombstone.”

Twilight chuckled weakly. “Like they would run out of things to say about her. She certainly never did.”

Laughing quietly, Celestia nodded. “True. Now, it's about time we return to the castle, don't you think? I've allowed my work to pile up recently, and could use some help.”

“I'd love to be of assistance,” Twilight answered with a smile. More genuinely happy than Celestia had seen in months.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry.

That I'm not sorry.

So... this happened. What can I say? I felt like using that good old dark tag. And I wanted to explore this. And... well, really I just did this for a little bit of fun. I hope you enjoyed it.

I'm sorry if it seems a bit rushed, as it is 3:30 in the morning right now. Kinda wrote this as a spur-of-the-moment thing.

This could have been longer, I realize. More time spent on building it up. But I wanted to jump straight into it, and since this is just an afterthought epilogue to an already established story I don't feel it's damaging the product as a whole.

Just a bit of fun, that's all. Don't take it too seriously; sometimes I like to play with some darker ideas.

Still, do let me know what you thought. This is the first thing I've published in quite a while.