• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 6,519 Views, 363 Comments

Pride of the Apples - LightningSword



When Applejack's younger brother visits, she and her friends must learn more about him--and his condition--in order to make him feel welcome.

  • ...
30
 363
 6,519

4 - The Picnic

Twilight and Fluttershy had gathered Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Spike at the Golden Oaks library for an assessment of their encounter with Calvados. They had just finished explaining Twilight's maneuver in calming his sudden temper, along with Applejack's following need to cut their visit short.

“Well, that doesn't sound at all like our Applejack,” Rarity said worriedly. “I know she cares for family, but isn't it a bit extreme to throw you out like that?”

“Oh, she didn't throw us out, Rarity,” Fluttershy gently corrected, “she just needed some time to keep Cal calm, so he wouldn't . . . well . . . do something . . . bad? I-I guess . . .”

Rainbow Dash had been listening most of the time, seeming unable to comprehend what her friends had been talking about. “So . . .” she began, uneasily, “. . . is he, like, crazy or something?”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight reprimanded. “That's a very insensitive thing to say! Calvados is autistic! That doesn't make him incompetent or insane!”

“Gimme a break, Twilight!” Dash defended. “It's not like I know everything about autism, like you do.”

Twilight sighed, “No, no, I'm sorry. I keep forgetting, you guys don't know as much as you should. Even I don't know as much as I should, and I've read every book I could find on the subject three times. In fact, I sent a message to Princess Celestia asking for more books on autism. Hopefully, she'll be getting back to me any sec—”

Twilight was interrupted when Spike's cheeks suddenly swelled, and he released a fiery green belch. From the light, green ember, a rolled-up letter materialized, and he grabbed it out of the air. “Well, speak of the princess!” Spike quipped as he unfurled the paper and stared reading out loud:

“Dear Princess Twilight Sparkle,

I am proud of you taking the initiative to learn all you can about a topic that is still very obscure in Equestria. There aren't many books on the subject of autism that I know of right off hoof, but I will do all I can to send you everything we can find from the royal Canterlot library. There should be a delivery of every relevant book available by tomorrow. Simply return the ones you already have copies of, along with whatever you are finished with.

Good luck, Twilight.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia”

“Excellent!” Twilight smiled. “We'll have a lot more to learn from tomorrow. And right now, we need all the help we can get.”

“Booooooo-ring!” Dash moaned. “Who needs to read about taking care of kids? It's not that difficult. You watch 'em, you play with 'em, you take 'em out for a bite to eat, then you hand 'em back to the family and go home! You don't need a book for that!”

“Why, Rainbow Dash!” Rarity stepped in. “You ought to know by now how invaluable books can be. Besides, you should also know that little Cal isn't like other colts! He takes in things differently, and we simply must be careful around him!”

“Exactly,” Twilight nodded. “Now remember, girls, it's Fluttershy's turn to bring somepony with her tomorrow, and Rainbow Dash has to go with her this time.” She turned to the latter with an emphatic look. “And remember, we have to be patient, calm, and understanding. No matter what happens.”

Dash sighed, annoyed at first, but gave a relenting nod a moment later. “All right. I don't get what 'autism' is supposed to be about, but Applejack's one of us. We gotta stick by her.”

“That's the spirit, Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy beamed. “And I'm sure you'll like Cal. He's so cute! And he's nice when you get to know him.”

“But you have to remember,” Twilight insisted, “it won't be easy to get to know him. He'll seem like his mind is a little . . . .” She struggled for the right words before settling on, “. . . off the walls.”

Twilight quickly realized that it still didn't sound quite right.


Applejack kept her stressed thoughts to herself: This boy is bouncin' off the walls!!

Calvados galloped back and forth from the front door to the kitchen, stopping long enough to run in place and make funny noises, making himself giggle. He'd been told earlier that the house rules included no running in the house, but he hadn't listened to (or rather, hadn't retained) anypony's warnings, and continued running. Big Mac had tried to obstruct his path and face him, but that was met with more of Cal's upset cries. In the end, Granny Smith had allowed Cal to burn off his excess energy, as long as there was nothing nearby he could knock over. Applejack and Apple Bloom had attended to that.

At least, they thought so.

Giggling and galloping back into the living room, Cal inadvertently brushed a shoulder against a table next to the kitchen entrance, and it, along with the lamp on top of it, wavered around on the spot.

Applejack dove toward the table just as the lamp fell off, and caught it just before it hit the floor. Cal turned toward Applejack and saw what had happened, but didn't seem to understand that he'd been the cause; he started giggling again, thinking his big sister was just being silly. “Appajak! Is that funny?”

Applejack sighed as she put the lamp back on the table. She kept her voice down, but she could no longer stay silent, “Doggone it, Cal, I told ya not to run in the house . . .” She banged a hoof on the floor in frustration. She couldn't handle another two weeks of this. As much as she loved her brother, getting through to him was something she could never do. And she wasn't sure she could learn before something worse happened than just a broken lamp.

She turned toward Cal, and saw him sitting in front of the door, his front hooves over his ears and an upset look on his face. He seemed to have been scared of the sound of Applejack banging the floor. “Darn it all, Applejack,” she cursed herself, “you should know better, scaring yer brother like that. How sensitive he is, an' all . . .” She calmly approached Cal and took his hooves off his ears, “I'm sorry, Cal. I didn't mean to scare ya like that.”

“Enh! Noise?” Cal asked worriedly. “Noise?”

“No, it's okay. The noise is gone, I promise. It's just, I told you that you shouldn't run, honey. You could knock somethin' over, or you could trip and hurt yourself. You don't wanna do that.”

“Wan- . . . wanna do that?”

“No, ya don't. Cal, I just want ya to be safe, that's all. I don't want ya to get hurt.”

“Get . . . get hurt? I sorry . . .”

Those last two words hit Applejack square in the heart. Dr. Lyze had taught Cal how to apologize if he'd ever seen someone he thought he'd hurt. Cal had taken this to mean that anyone that looked upset to him deserved an apology, whether he was at fault or not. So he did so whenever he saw upset on somepony's face.

Applejack took a shaky breath and pulled her brother into a tight hug. Cal hugged her back, nuzzling her ear like he had done yesterday with Big Mac. He may not have had a care in the world—he may not have even been capable of it—but Applejack's worries would only get worse from here. Cal's safety took up a bulk of it, but her feelings about his behavior around others encased it like a cocoon.

She still fought off her shame from yesterday.

The Apple siblings both turned to the sound of a knock on the door. As soon as the two parted, Cal took off and hid behind the couch, occasionally peeking up over the arm.

“Oh, Cal, don't be frightened,” Applejack tried to calm him. “Just somepony at the door, is all.” She got up to answer it, and saw two Pegasi on the other side, ready to greet their friend.

“Oh, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack greeted them, “How y'all doin'?”

“Good morning, Applejack,” Fluttershy smiled. “We're here to help you watch Cal today.”

“Yeah, I know. Come on in.” Applejack allowed her two friends in; Fluttershy walked in, and Rainbow Dash hovered. “So, I guess Twilight's had a chance to talk to ya about Cal?”

“Oh, yes,” Fluttershy nodded, “you don't have to worry at all. We're all ready for anything that might happen.”

Applejack tried to hide her frown. I doubt it . . . .

“Hey, there he is!” Dash exclaimed, hovering over to the end of the couch Cal hid behind, setting down, and reaching a hoof out, “Hey there, buddy! Remember me? Rainbow Dash? Ah, of course you do. I tend to leave an impression on ponies! So how's it goin', pal?”

Cal simply threw his hooves over his eyes and gave a gentle whine.

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy gently admonished, “remember what Twilight said. He's not very social. You can't get so familiar with him so quickly. Let him warm up to you first, okay?” She then approached Cal and applied the same gentle tone, “Hello, Cal. It's okay. Don't be scared. I want to be your friend. Can I be your friend?”

Cal slowly lowered his hooves, but kept his eyes down as he replied, “Be your . . . be your friend?”

Fluttershy grinned. “Yes. Your friend. My name is Fluttershy.”

“Is Fah . . . is Fah-Shy?”

“Oh, you're so cute,” Fluttershy giggled. “It's okay. That's close enough.”

“Why does he do that?” Dash asked, confused. “That thing where he repeats whatever you just told him. What even is that?”

“Dr. Lyze told us about this, too,” Applejack explained. “He does it to learn more words and how to talk to ponies by imitatin' 'em.”

“That's right,” Fluttershy added, “I remember Twilight talking about this too. I think she called it 'echolalia'. Lots of autistic foals do it. Oh, b-but . . . not all of them, of course . . .”

Dash looked at Cal funny for a few seconds, then shrugged. “Hey, if it helps him learn, I won't say anything. I got weird ways of learning, too.”

“I'll check in every so often to see how everythin's goin',” Applejack declared, “and if I have to, I'll take over for ya if you need a break. In fact, I'd better do that anyway. He needs to be with family, even if we are busy—”

“Relax, AJ,” Dash assured her, “me and Fluttershy got this! Just get your work done, and we'll take care of everything.”

Applejack forced herself not to frown. I sure's heck hope so, she thought worriedly before turning to Cal, “I'll be in the fields again today, Cal. Now, you be good for Rainbow and Fluttershy.”

“And Fah . . . . and Fah-Shy?”

“Yes, be good for Fluttershy. Now, don't be upset when I'm gone. I'll be back to check on ya when I can, y'hear?”

“Y'hear? Okay . . .”

Cal then reached out and hugged his sister, and Applejack returned it. She looked over his shoulder at the two Pegasi and told them firmly, “Take care of 'im.”

Fluttershy nodded assuredly, but Dash shrugged. “Like I said, we got this! It'll be a breeze—” She stopped and turned to Fluttershy when she tapped her shoulder, and saw a serious, pleading look in her teal eyes. That look alone told Dash that this was not a trifling matter.

Dash turned back to Applejack and nodded, as well.


“Would you like another acorn, Mr. Squirrel?” Fluttershy asked politely. The squirrel chittered and nodded, and Fluttershy took an acorn from the bowl on their picnic blanket and passed it to him. Next to the squirrel, two field mice squeaked and nibbled on a block of cheese, three orioles pecked at a bowl of seed, and Winona took big bites from her dog bowl. Tank sat next to Rainbow Dash, chewing on a leaf, and Cal sat between Dash and Fluttershy. He looked excited, and was vigorously petting Angel's head, ears and back. Naturally, Angel looked highly displeased.

“Come on, Fluttershy,” Dash groaned, “it's a beautiful day out here! Bright sun, no clouds—it's perfect flying weather!”

“Now, now, nothing too awfully exciting for Cal, here,” Fluttershy advised before turning to him. “Are you having a lovely time, Cal?”

Cal giggled when Angel shook after another hard head rub. “Hee-hee! It's bunny?”

Fluttershy smiled. “Yes, Angel's a bunny. Isn't he cute?”

“Is he . . . is he cute? Awww . . .” Cal fawned over Angel, still petting him a bit too hard. After a few more seconds, though, Angel got fed up and hopped away, stopping on Fluttershy's other side and crossing his stubby paws in protest. Cal tried to follow, but Angel just kept hopping out of his reach, knocking over the bowl of acorns as he hopped.

A few seconds of chasing later, Cal began to voice his frustration, “Enh! Enh! Bunny?”

“I know, Cal, I know,” Fluttershy assuaged him, “Angel bunny can be grumpy sometimes. But he's not being mean.”

“He just doesn't want you petting him so hard, kid,” Dash added. “Ease up a little, all right?”

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, it's not his fault. He doesn't understand.” Fluttershy approached Angel and attempted to coax him, “Angel, I know Cal is a little too eager. But he just wants to play with you. He wants to be your friend. Please give him a chance?”

Angel glanced at Fluttershy with an irritable glint in his eye.

“Please?”

Angel turned away.

“Pretty please with a carrot on top?”

Angel merely turned towards Cal and blew a raspberry at him before hopping away from the picnic area. Rather than be angry or offended, however, Cal merely giggled and mimicked the sound.

Fluttershy, however, was not amused; she gasped and hovered ahead of Angel, landing in his path. “Angel bunny! I'm surprised at you! That's no way to treat your friends. Especially ponies like Cal. Now you apologize to him right now.”

Angel glared angrily at Fluttershy, as if daring her to make him. Fluttershy merely glared back, dealing that silent dare right back at him. Normally, Fluttershy would have folded, but this was a situation involving a young pony with a serious condition. Fluttershy had promised herself to draw the line where Cal was concerned, and this was the time.

The battle of wills continued, with Fluttershy not budging an inch. Rainbow Dash had taken to scarfing down the acorns that had spilled from the upturned bowl as she watched the tension unfold (much to the chagrin of Mr. Squirrel). Finally, Angel pouted, hopped back over to Cal, and rubbed his head against the colt's left front hoof. He seemed contrite enough.

“Good boy, Angel,” said Fluttershy warmly before approaching Cal. “Now, remember. Be gentle with the bunny. Bunny doesn't like it when you pet him too hard, okay? Like this.” She demonstrated, gently placing her hoof on Angel's head and sliding it down his neck and back. Angel looked pleased; his foot thumped against the ground a few times at the pleasant feeling.

Cal giggled again and tried it himself, reaching his hoof out to a suddenly panicking Angel. “Remember, Cal,” Fluttershy advised, “gently with the bunny. Gently.”

“Gently?” Cal repeated, staring at Angel in fascination. “Ah bunny?” He then reenacted Fluttershy's method, gently putting his hoof on Angel's head and running it down his back.

Dash observed the whole thing, still fascinated and confused at the same time. “This is just too weird,” she blurted out.

“I know he seems strange to you, Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy as she guided Cal's shaky petting hoof, “but Cal has feelings, too. Even if he doesn't always show them, he has them.” She then spoke up to Cal when his petting got too hard again, “No, no, Cal. Remember, gently with the bunny.”

“Gently? Ah bunny? Awww . . .”

“Very good, Cal,” Fluttershy nodded and patted Cal on the head. Dash glanced at Cal, still puzzled, while Angel stood under Cal's hoof, alternating between smiling and grimacing at the ever-changing pressure of Cal's petting.