• Published 29th May 2015
  • 166 Views, 0 Comments

Equestria: Legacy Part 1 - Redman48



Sunset's daughter, left in a world doomed to destroy itself, was given powers from the rubble of a city.

  • ...
 0
 166

Chapter 3

Author's Note:

This chapter gave me a lot of trouble. It was a mess when I finished writing. I patched it up the best I could and I wouldn't blame you if you leave a dislike.
Also, I know Dawn isn't the best OC, but she will be improving once I develope more writing skills.

P.S. This story actually has a proofreader now. The username is Washi go give him a look.

All I saw was darkness coming from each and every direction. An endless field of nothing, nothing at all. No sounds, no colors, nothing. Is this the afterlife? I mean, if there was a creator then he or she would have a place for the dead, but there is nothing here. I guess that is what you get for not believing.

Am I going to spend eternity here? Why bother having a conscious then if there is nothing here? Why can I still think? Why can I still feel my heart pounding? Why can I-

Wait…

If I can still… No. That’s impossible. I saw it. I saw the missile coming down at me. I heard everything go silent. I felt my body vaporize. If I’m really dead, then why can I still feel the sweat in my palms?

I have to calm down. I was already freaking out, panicking will make it worse. I need to prove that I am still alive, for some reason I’m rejecting the idea. Opening my eyes seemed like a good way to prove existence, but I’m afraid that I’ll just see the missile hit the ground and these were only my final thoughts processing through my head. Screw it, It’s not like there’s anything “here” to wait for. I took in what felt like breaths and opened my eyes.

Once open I found myself hugging my own knees, sitting on the pavement with a taxi car behind me.

Right in front me was a wall of red light. No, Not a wall. It’s a dome and it has trapped me inside. My hand felt shredded glass scattered around the floor, but not sharp enough to pierce my skin. The road underneath was as smooth and clean as always, as the city had promised. The dome was giving off a red dimming light, giving everything in here a shade of red.

What was this? Some kind of purgatory? New tech from the military? Hell if i know. However, I do like the color.

I stood up, stumbling, to find out my legs were asleep. Seconds later after they woke I took a few steps closer to the dome. I wanted to learn more about this thing. Maybe there is a way to “open” this. I drew closer and closer. My hand out and ready. I was about to touch it with my index finger, wondering if it could shock me, when I stepped on a doll.

I removed my foot from it and picked it up. Oddly enough this doll was made of cloth and other fabrics. These days little girls would only get the pink ones and the kinds that can move on their own. This, however, was blue and floppy. It was at this time I noticed a little girl sitting near the dome, swiping her finger on the red lighted walls.

While she played with the dome I was able to get better look at her. She appeared to be 4 or 5 years old. Her clothing was a blue 20’s style little dress with the most classic girl shoes I’ve ever seen. Her skin was a bit pale, but it just adds more uniqueness to her look. She was kind of cute, overall, and the little red bow in her hair really adds it up.

“Hello?” I called out to her, but no answer. I tried again and still nothing, as if she was absent minded. I then tapped her on the shoulder and she jerked away. She seemed startled at first, almost as if she just had jump scare, once she caught sight of me she then sort of relaxed and waved at me. I waved back.

“Hi, what’s your name?” Again, still no answer. “My name is Dawn. What’s yours?”

She then pulled out a card and handed it to me. It said:

Sally

“Sorry, I can’t speak!”

Well, that explains her mute behavior. After reading this, Sally innocently skipped to the dome’s wall. As I followed she drew what appears to be a smiley face on the dome, before it vanished within seconds of it’s creation. This must have been her entertainment for… who knows how long. She continued to draw more doodles on it as if it was an Ipad 16. She may have an idea on what this is, but I don’t. The more I see, the more questions I have.

Sally tugged my skirt, trying to get my attention. I obliged and she started to do some hand signals, probably sign language. The only sign I truly understood was the “OK” one.

“Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.” I admitted, even though she couldn’t understand me either. She gave me a groan look and pointed her finger at the dome. She then drew a star on it’s surface, until it disappeared a few seconds later. I think she wants me to draw with her, keep her company, until this whole thing blows over.

Sally kept urging me to draw, trying to pull my hand to the wall. I gently shook it off and faced the dome. I stood there, thinking of what to draw. What can I draw? It’ll eventually slither away, so what’s the point? The kid was becoming impatient, tapping her little shoes on the floor, waiting for me to do something. I quickly thought of something I could easily draw. A picture sally might enjoy; a pony.

My index finger grew closer to the dome. I hesitated before I touched it. I feared some kind of electrical shock would hurt me, but if Sally could touch it, I could too. I prodded the dome, but when I touched it, all I felt was a breeze and my hand went through the wall. The whole thing started to deteriorate, going away piece by piece, until it vanished into the air. Sally and I were free.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][[][[][[][][][][[][][][][][][][][][]

14 years ago, I was in a play. Our theme was to teach everyone about the food groups. I played the egg. After the meats went on, it was time for the dairies. I was so excited on performing, I practiced my line fifth-teen times everyday and I even did some actual research on the part I played. Once I got on I froze. There was about 40 people watching me. It overwhelmed me, to the point where my parents had to go backstage and calm me down.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Today, there was 20 people and it still had the same effect.

20 people stared at me. Some were on the floor, injured from the stampede. Three of them were helping out the injured, doing their best to treat the wounds. Two were panicking on the floor, while three frat boys were just a few feet away from me. One of them was holding out a phone. All of their mouths gaped open, with no words coming out of them. They all stood still and I did too. The street was in complete silence.

I noticed the sky had changed color. Instead of clouds and blue skies, it was red and mildly gloomy. The same color as the dome I was inside of. The shiny streets of the city were now less pretty to look at. The shoe store I would sometimes pass by was picked clean with the store windows now shattered on the ground. Five cars were abandoned with one crashed into a building floor.

One of the guys, that were heading my way, started to move. I jumped back, bumping into the taxi car behind me. This made him rethink his decision. Speaking of “decision”, I needed to think of mine.

What should I do? What will they do when I do it? God damn, my head hurts. If this was a dream I wanted it to end. Sally was standing next to me, watching me while I had my little trauma, when she turned her head and spotted someone. She ran past the three men and hugged a woman’s left leg. The woman was confused until she she saw Sally’s face. She yelled “Sally!” then embraced her in her arms. Tears falling from their eyes.

Looking at this heartwarming scene revived some hope that have died inside me. Seeing her the two huddling together rose some of my own memories, causing me to tear up a little. It was then I realized that everyone including the three men were distracted by the reuniting. I ran off as fast as I could, wishing I had left sooner. I ran through the broken window of an already looted store. I couldn’t tell what kind of place this was since so much of it was gone. The back door led to an alleyway, filled with spotless dumpsters. To my surprise, an undamaged van was place at the end of the alleyway. I would have used it if only I had the keys. I planned to turning right out of the alleyway, since that leads to the apartment. Once I tried I saw one of the men from the encounter and I immediately turned left.

I soon found myself in the middle of town square. There were people here, enough to fill a small rally. Many of them had their phones out either calling loved ones to make sure if they were still alive. Although, they might just be youtubing the red sky. I think I can relax now. I soon found a nearby bench I could sit on and finally rest.

I needed to figure out what was going on. I was on a train when a missile headed toward the city. I got off the train, crouched down in fear, fainted, then I woke up with a dome over me which broke with the touch of my fingers. It’s crazy to think that I somehow made that dome or the dome over this city or if any of this is real. For all I know a god could have done this.

My brain started to hurt, small bits of pain here and there, then it started pounding. perhaps all this thinking was getting to me, but I want to figure this out. I just have to suck up the aching.

Alright, let's see. There is no way this could be a dream. My aching head already told me that. Magic? Be real. US tech? Not in a million years. Aliens? Fat chance. I do know one thing: If this is all real then that dome just saved our lives.

This is out of my logic. I think I should just enjoy the red sky while it is still pretty to look at. Maybe this will end up like that one tv program in the 10’s.

I let my head rest on the bench. I didn’t want to stand up or my head would really start hurting. I didn’t even care if someone from the encounter found me here. I wanted to rest, at least for a little while.

Just as I began to get comfortable my right eye spotted something, something purple. Could it be Rarity? Maybe, I mean she is not the only one with a purple hairstyle. At least 8% of the city’s population had purple hair. Once she got closer I realized it was indeed her. She was making her way through the crowd, searching for something. She had it her phone out, looking at it constantly as she gave nudges to get people out of the way.

Obviously she was looking for me or her cat, but probably me. She seemed more frantic than she was in the morning. Whenever I got home late she worried if something had happened to me, she did this ever since I moved in.

I figured I should go to her or else she’d really start panicking. Lifting my head felt like lifting a 30 pound weight, while being smacked in the head repeatedly. I finally got up and walked slowly to her. When I got close I started running up to her, calling her name as I ran.

“Dawn!” She cried out, running to greet me. She placed her hands on my cheeks when we she got in arm’s reach. She moved my head around, searching for bruises or scratches, then proceeded to shine a flashlight in my eyes. “Are you hurt? Are you sick? Are you doing drugs?!” Clearly she was freaking out, again. I pushed her hands away from my face and placed them aside.

“No, i'm fine, it’s just... my head kinda hurts.”

“Oh, we better get back to your room. It’s getting ugly out here.”

In her car I sat in the back seat wanting to lie down, but it made the headache worse. Instead I leaned on the car’s window, watching all the aftermath. The destruction of the city could have been worse. It’s mostly just broken windows and few crashed cars here and there, I’m surprised there weren’t any fires on the streets. When we drove through the shopping district many of the stores and shops were wiped clean, most likely from the looting that probably happened a while ago.

When we got to the apartment building many of the employees who worked here were gone, except for the doorman who was cowering behind the counter. I didn’t think there was anything we could do to help. I simply waved to the doorman with sympathy as I entered the elevator. During the elevator ride I sat in the corner while Rarity crouched down to comfort me. I started feeling sick on the way up, partly because of the motion sickness.

When we finally got there I sat on the sofa, while Rarity looked around to see if anyone was around here. I thought about watching the news while I waited for the headache to clear up, but it would probably be about the dome and I had enough of it.

“It doesn’t appear that anyone was here, but it looks like some my of jewelry is missing.” She said as she came out of the hallway. I groaned in pain just as a migrain set in. “Oh, I forgot about the headache, I’ll get you some aspirin.”

She looked through the crystal white cabinet in the kitchen, where she kept the medicine at. After a long five minutes her hands came out with nothing.

“Blast it! We’re out. I’m so sorry... if I actually made time I would have told the maid to fetch them. I’m so stupid I am a terrible guardian...”

Not again. Not now.

“Rarity?”

She kept punishing herself.

“Rarity?”

She kept going.

“Rarity!”

She stopped and finally started listening to me.

“Not everything needs to be perfect!” I retorted. I could sense the horror she felt inside. Being yelled at isn’t nice in the first place, but being yelled at by your own kid…

“I’m… I’m sorry. I think it’s the headache”

“Oh! No no no! It’s my fault. I can get a bit too... hysterical.”

“Can you just… calm down?” I pleaded.

“Alright.” She said, taking quick breath. “Alright.”

She quickly skedaddled to the sofa and sat near me. She gave me a quick smile then proceed to keep her head down, staring at her jewel encrusted shoes, not wanting this conversation to get anymore awkward.

After this day the first thing I want to do was to get some sleep. Then I remembered the thought I had on the train, the one I promised myself to do. If nuclear war is how the world would end I might as well get things off my chest, before I get obliterated in radiation.

“Rarity,” I said. “Am I a burden to you?”

She paused. Her head slowly tilted up and looked at me. I could see the worry in her eye. I believe she had expected this conversation to come, but not during all of this.

“What do you mean?” She asked softly.

I sighed. “Ever since I moved in here I felt like nothing but a chore for you.” I admitted. “I know how annoying teenagers can be. The needing, the emotions, the drama, the trouble you have to go through to raise them. And worst of all you up gave your chance to compete with the big brands. I feel guilty for ruining your life.”

The room grew silent. So quiet, that you could hear the ongoing looting on the streets. Even if the silence was a bad sign it still felt good getting that off my chest. However, I couldn’t decipher the look Rarity was giving me.

“Dawn,” She said softly. “I knew what I was getting into when I took you in.”

My eyes widen a bit. Did she? I expected her to make an excuse to get out of this conversation.

“When your parents were... gone,” She continued. “The others and I knew that one of us would have to take you in.” She then stood up and walked over to the other side of the room, returning with a picture frame. It’s the future, but not everyone had let go of the outdated. Rarity sat right beside me and handed me the frame.

It was a picture of all of my aunts and my mother huddling together, the main 7 as I like to call them. I imagine the fun they all had in their teens; the going out, the hanging out at a smoothie shop, maybe some BFF bracelets, the talk about which guys are the cutest, and the never leaving your side dedication. Just few of the things I failed as a teen.

“AJ,” She started, as she pointed her index finger at the Gal of the countryside. “was willing to let you live on her farm, but ever since the drought and the fruit bat infestation her hands were already full.” Now she pointed at the girl with rainbow colored hair. “Rainbow wanted to teach you everything about her sporting expertise, if only she didn’t have to travel from game to game. Fluttershy was not sure if she could do it and we couldn’t have her forced to. Twilight is so busy these days and Pinkie… well, we all know why.” I certainly do. “On that night I knew I was the only one who could take care you, until you were old enough to make your own decisions.” She put the picture aside and continued her talk. “I was willing to adopt you, for the others, for the your parents, and for you”

I find that a little hard believe. What am I saying? She did really care about me. It’s a relief to know that I wasn’t some kind of chore.

“Really?” I finally mustered.

“Absolutely.” She smiled

It was about 9:00 o'clock when I yawned. I wanted to go to my room but my head pounded every time I took a step. After a few more failed attempts I decided just to sleep in the living room for the night. Rarity brought me two sheets and a pillow for me to sleep with, even though I told her it wouldn’t be necessary. She placed the pillow under my head as I lied down, with the the blankets over me.

“Alright, if you need my help don’t be afraid to ask.” She said with her voice back to her cheery self. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I am.” I tell her.

“Very well.” She began to exit the living room, but before she entered the hallway, she looked back at me. “Good night Dawn, see you in the morning.”

“Good night Rarity.” With that, she walked into the hallway, entered her room, and turned off the hallway light. I brought the blankets over my shoulders and settled in on the the sofa. Thoughts poured in my head, both good and disturbing. I just hope I can have a good night and maybe a morning with the sun in the sky.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment