• Published 17th Apr 2015
  • 13,734 Views, 2,028 Comments

Reformation of the Hives - law abiding pony



War has ravaged the changeling jungles while Queen Twilight Sparkle and Queen Rainbow Dash remain aloof of the conflict. However they will be thrust upon center stage, whether they like it or not.

  • ...
27
 2,028
 13,734

12: The Last Night in Safe Harbor

Rainbow Dash brooded within the bow observation blister of the Long Shot. The midday sky was partly cloudy, and the carrier was just leaving cloud cover as it came over a long abandoned train depot. It was the same place she had first seen a changeling airship, and it brought back fond memories of her time spent in Stripped Gear.

Now however, the depot was covered in green as the jungle rapidly reclaimed what belonged to it. Vines had started covering the long rail bridge spanning over the gorge, leaving half of it looking like a wall of vegetation.

As for the jungle itself, it cared little for the urban decay, seeing it only as more ground to claim. <Captain Darya, make sure we fly over the ruins. Let the crew see what will happen if we fail.>

<As you order, mother.>

The Long Shot angled a little closer to true south, though she didn’t notice much since her mind was scattered throughout the hive mind, watching over the drones continue to prepare the carrier for war. She also had a general awareness of the Deception as her brood shipped it back to the hive for repairs. As a consequence to Rainbow deffusing herself so much, she missed Twilight entering the room. It wasn’t until Twilight closed the heavy steel hatch behind her, that Rainbow finally noticed her. “There you are. I thought you’d be down in the hangar hammering out strikecraft tactics.”

“We’ve done enough planning for now,” Rainbow replied as she looked back at her sister. Twilight walked up alongside Rainbow Dash and nuzzled her affectionately. Rainbow returned the gesture, always enjoying the flavor of Twilight’s love. “The crews need time to actually practice, and no pony made a fighter big enough for me to pilot.”

Twilight snickered, and spoke without separating from Rainbow. “And here I thought you didn’t like the idea of carriers.”

Rainbow huffed and turned back to the landscape below. It was deceptively peaceful from such an altitude. “I don’t, but it’s all we’ve got right now. Although I still don’t really have any good ideas on how to use these fighters against massed drones. So when things go belly up, I want to be here in person to fight.”

“We can do a lot more good through hive meditation, rather than participating directly in battle, than you give credit for,” Twilight amended. “But that’s not why I’m here.” She succeeded in getting Rainbow’s attention. She’s getting antsy about not being able to oviposit since both ships lack a hatchery, thanks to the tender’s refit. I have to try to keep her mind off it.

Knowing that would be no easy task, Twilight was more than happy at a recent event. “Since we’re still a day or so out from where Chrysalis said Polybia’s advance forces are, I suggest you steal a little bit of RnR while you can.”

“As much as I would love to take a nap, I doubt that’s what you have in mind.”

“Well…” Twilight shot her sister a wry grin. “Rasua said the Psykira have a gift for us, and they want to present it to us before we get too busy with the war.” Her tone grew thready along with her smile wilting. “You know, in case they can’t when all things are said and done.”

Rainbow wasn’t exactly sure what to say right off the bat. She tried to identify the ruins of Stripped Gear off on the horizon, but the Long Shot had slipped inside another cloudbank, causing the glass to be covered in condensation. “Are you trying to say I’m working too hard?” she asked with a sidelong smirk.

“Along with Tartarus freezing over under a flock of flying pigs,” Twilight teased as she used a foreleg to drag her sister to a cushion. Something told Twilight that verbally expressing her pride in Rainbow Dash would be perceived as patronizing to the sometimes unruly queen. Instead, she opted to give Rainbow a tight hug before nestling down in a cushion of her own.

It didn’t take Twilight long before her eyes went a little out of focus as most of her consciousness departed. The very nature of the request caused her to send the vast majority of her mental focus to her puppet, but she left just enough brain power behind to keep her body from getting into trouble. Rainbow’s face twisted into a scowl as she too took her seat. If I split my focus on anything else, I’m not going to have enough brains to control my body. <Airling Greasy Piston, come over to the bow observation blister and keep an eye on us while we’re away, would you? I don’t want Murphy’s Law acting up while we’re focused on the hive, and have Poly sneak an assassin in.>

The pilot in question groaned as she was about to fold her hand in poker with the rest of Viper Squadron. <I’ll get it covered in a jiffy, momma.>

Rainbow sent her thanks before leaving her daughter to her devices. Piston smirked at her squadmates and tossed her poor hand of cards on the table. “You bucks got lucky that momma needs me for bodyguard detail. Catch y'all later.”

Rusty Spring used a bit of magic to flip the folded hand over and snorted. “Sure we were. Have fun on detail, Greasy.”


Rainbow Dash followed Twilight’s advice and puppeted a daughter of hers near the hive palace’s main gates. The clear skies above the hive were darkened by the shadow of the palace behind her and a heavy lift construction airship hovering over a two story tall wooden crate resting at the base of the long wide steps. The changeling honor guard flanked the steps while a large gathering of sphinxes milled around the massive crate.

Rainbow noticed that a number of sphinxes were taking hammers and other tools to the base of the crate to break off the bottom.

“What do you think it is?” Rainbow followed the voice to find her sister inhabiting the body of one of her own daughters. Twilight had that knowing grin which frustrated Rainbow from time to time, but it was Twilight’s purple and orange cutie mark that made her raise a question. “Why are you showing your cutie mark on a puppet?”

Twilight wiggled her hips a little. She sensed the drone’s ecstasy at being able to wear her mother’s cutie mark, which caused Twilight to chuckle a little. “Well, since we keep talking to more and more non-changelings while occupying a drone, I figured we could show our cutie marks so others can identify us without needing to see our eyes first.”

Rainbow mulled over the idea briefly before Twilight motioned for her to follow down the steps. Could help with things. With a flash of magic, Rainbow painted her cutie mark on her puppet’s flanks.


By the time the pair reached the bottom of the steps, Twilight noticed that Rasua was talking with a few Psykira. A moment later, Twilight realized that almost every Psykira living in the hive was present along with numerous Imperial Thestrals and a handful of Tea’la. Arya stood at the front of her people while waving her large wooden wings at the queens to be seen. What surprised Twilight more, was the sight of Pinkie Pie jumping high enough to quickly grab the queens’ notice with the baker’s cheering being as friendly and obnoxious as ever.

Rainbow grinned widely as she spied the pink mare’s son perched on his mother’s withers, along with Rarity, her thestral husband, and their two children near the front of the crowd. Wait a sec, why didn’t any of our kids tell us our friends were visiting? Rainbow and Twilight noticed the ever bashful Fluttershy mixed in with their friends, but she practically lived in the hive already since she cared for the nymphs on a regular basis. Lastly, but certainly not least, Cadista herself was keeping a dignified air about her while hovering above the ponies friends. Yet pride was radiating off of her like the sun.

Twilight sensed the Tea’la, thestrals, and her friends’ auras were alive with barely contained excitement. As for the Psykira, their collective aura matched their faces which were alive with anticipation. A swarm of nymphs filled every nook between the adults, trying to see what all the fuss was about.

It didn’t take Rasua and her conversation partners long to notice the two queens. The four of them approached the queens with an elderly Grecian jane taking the lead before all three Psykira bowed deeply to the queens. Rasua simply dipped her head in respect as the elder sphinx spoke in reverent tones. “Your highnesses, thank you for agreeing to such a hasty audience with us.”

“Not a problem at all, Wise Huntress Belkaria,” Twilight nodded in respect. “We are not expected to reach the combat zone for several more hours.”

Belkaria sagged in relief a little, glad that she wasn’t inconveniencing the queens. She rose to her paws and gestured at the workers to stand by with a wing, while keeping her gaze fixed on Twilight and Rainbow. She took a deep breath to begin her address. The act also got the other Psykira to quiet down to listen. “A little under four years ago, Psykira like myself fled the Federation to live here in the Equestrian Alliance. I must admit we were fearful of the Sestapo’s offer of sanctuary via deportation. All we knew of the Alliance species were that you were powerful and… love fire,” she said with tightly controlled fear as her gaze briefly wandered to the twenty foot tall statue of Burny near the palace entrance.

“To our everlasting gratitude,” Belkaria continued with a brief warble of emotion. “We’ve found more than an alien country, but a new home filled with beings who understand and accept us. Here we can practice our psionics without fear of persecution. And for that, we can never truly repay you, but we hope this will give some small recompense.”

With a final gesture of her wing, the airship’s engines poured on the power a few moments later and lifted the large wooden crate away from the cargo within. Twilight and Rainbow’s eyes widened considerably at the two story tall statues that were revealed.

The one on the left was a larger than life statue of Twilight Sparkle made of pure amethyst. Large ruby wings reinforced with a steel skeleton flared out from her back with her cutie mark made of darker amethyst and fire opals.

Rainbow Dash was equally enthralled by her statue. The whole thing was a sky blue aquamarine with stained glass wings that constantly shifted in a prismatic hue. As with Twilight, the cutie mark on Rainbow’s statue was made of precious gems as well.

The two statues stood on a large brass base that was crisscrossed with engraved gearwork. The two queens were standing side by side, each with a foreleg outstretched in a welcoming friendly gesture. The two queens’ inner wings were pressed against one another in a grecian tradition to represent the pair’s unconquerable bond. The statues didn’t go unnoticed by the drones and the skies were quickly filled with them as they gathered to see the gift.

The two dumbstruck queens’ expression satisfied Belkaria and the other sphinxes to no end. “We hope you will accept this gift to you, as you have so graciously gifted us with a home.”

Twilight stared at the gesture of gratitude in profound amazement. It was no secret that sphinxes made statues of those they revered. She raised a hoof to her chest with an emotional tear falling away. After years of struggle to gain a semblance of general acceptance among ponies, the deep meaning of this gift from the immigrated sphinxes rendered the former librarian at a complete loss for words.

The same was only partially true for Rainbow Dash.

One look at the statues was all it took to plaster a huge grin on her face. She buzzed into the air to take a closer look and was joined by at least two dozens nymphs doing the same. “By the First Mother this is crazy awesome!” She gave extra attention to her stony doppelganger's prismatic wings and nodded in approval. “Me like, me very like.” The nymphs were mesmerized by the dancing colors. Rainbow Dash looked back down towards Belkaria. “I don’t care if I’m not the civic queen. We’re putting this baby in the main square!”

Twilight blinked away a few tears and nodded. “That is an excellent idea. On behalf of Phoenix’s Roost, I thank you, Wise Huntress Belkaria,” Twilight looked out at the throng of people and friends before magically projecting her voice. “And thanks to all of you for this momentous gift.”

The crowd let out a round of cheers and hoots. The Queens’ response was exactly what they had hoped for and they were utterly thrilled.

Despite not being a Psykira, Rasua was as swept up in the jubilation as anyone else. Over the years, the Imperial thestrals, changelings, and Tea’la had learned about the importance of statues in Federation culture, and they soon joined the jubilation.

With both queens fully engrossed in examining the statues, Belkaria had a moment to step up to Rasua. “You have done your forebearers proud, young huntress. I only wish we could honor you with such a gift for the role you’ve played.”

A part of Rasua burned in irritation at the truth of it, but she managed to keep it concealed behind a veneer of good will. “Don’t think too much on it. I chose the life of the unsung hunter long before setting paw on this continent.”

Rasua noticed Twilight waving at both of them, however she also noticed a familiar grecian tom in the crowd who wasn’t matching the ambient fervor. Yet it was the yellow feathered hat he was wearing that gave away his importance to her, and her alone. “I think the queens want to speak further with you, elder. I bet they want to know how we managed to fuse so many gemstones together so flawlessly.”

Belkaria’s eyes lit up at the prospect of that line of inquiry. “She’ll be shocked to learn that Mrs. Rarity had a lot to do with that.”

Rasua nodded as the old jane padded over to speak with Twilight. Speaking of Rarity, I wonder just how much time and effort it actually took her. Nobody, no matter how honored the individual, the sculptor would always require a commision, and yet she didn’t take a single bit. Casting such idle musings aside, Rasua slipped through the crowd towards the tom. However she had to detour into a bookstore after the tom went in first.

With the statue event going on, the changeling store clerk had her face plastered to the window and only gave the two sphinxes a passing glance as they started browsing the selection. Now that she had a better look at him, Rasua identified the tom as the same Sestapo agent that had been stationed in Stratholme at the time she moved to Phoenix Roost.

Rasua started speaking in in a dialect of her province’s native language, while also keeping friendly tones as if he were an old friend. The language was rarely used, but perfect for the Sestapo since magical feedback spells were naturally woven into the syntax and most of the vocabulary. It was all geared to cause translation spells to misfire. “I trust you found your way here without incident.”

“Of course, Field Agent. Trade is slow between Stratholme and the Alliance, but allocating a single freighter airship will do that.”

Rasua glanced back at the store clerk who looked ready to bolt to join the celebration. Rasua browsed some Equestrian imported books to play the part of customer. “How did things go with the council?”

“As well as can be expected. Now that they know we’ve been actively resettling Psykira outside of Federation territory, they didn’t seem too keen on remembering the ‘kill on sight’ law they inherited from most of the former nations. So long as they’re out of our country, it’s not their problem. As they were so fond of saying.” he added with a snide grin.

Rasua shot him a surprised look, albeit brief. “Even Councillor Martok and his cronies? He was elected specifically to ‘kill all psykers in existence’.”

“Weeelll… let’s just say that Martok’s wife would be none too pleased if she found out that Martok’s board meetings were not always with his cabinet.” It went without saying that the Sestapo was playing a dangerous game, making sure they didn’t look like sympathizers.

“I didn’t think adultery would be enough for a hardliner like him,” Rasua replied after she found a book that actually had an interesting title. Sadly, she couldn’t pay much attention to it.

“It wasn’t, but he has vices that make his intense view of psykers look tame.”

He allowed Rasua a moment to digest the news, yet it was she who broke the silence first. “The queens have been happy with my efforts, and say I’ll be free of my obligation by year’s end.”

The tom’s face soured. “I hate to spoil your relief, field agent, but the Director wants you to remain here indefinitely.” He expected her stunned expression and acted to clarify her orders. “The Director feels your connections with Alliance royalty is too valuable to give away at this time.”

Rasua busied herself with the book as her mind churned. She wanted to bring this matter up with the Director himself. She wanted to serve her term with the queens and be free to live the life of her choosing. She wanted to be with her family again. “The Psykira have ingratiated themselves with the bugs. Why not recruit from their number?”

The tom stood mouth agape for a few moments before replacing his cool mask. “You know full well we’re already treading on thin ice as it is. We have to look like we’re deporting the psykers as a punishment for existing. Do you have any idea what the council would do if they decided to launch a formal inquiry and discovered we had a Psykira on payroll?”

Rasua bit down on a curse. Angering her handler wouldn’t do her any good, and there was always a pillow to scream into. “Forget I asked.”

“I will,” he stated definitively, “for both our sakes. Try to look on the bright side, field agent, you’re going to earn a place in the hall of the nameless hunters before much longer.”

Rasua’s eyes went wide at that. Deep within the Sestapo headquarters, was a vast hall filled wall to wall with statues of the most honored operatives. The bureau inherited both the hall and the tradition from one of the old province’s intelligence agencies. Those honored statues were left nameless, known only to the Director himself. “As much of an honor that is, at least tell me I’ll have a replacement at some point.”

“I’ll pass word back to the mainland. But I would suggest settling down, field agent.” That got a rise out of Rasua, but she held her tongue. “There are worse assignments to have, and I’m sure there’s more than one tom who would be proud to be your mate.”

Rasua’s thoughts went straight to Thunderfury. Thankfully she was able to keep from blushing. There’s no way he could know about us. “I’ll do what I can to make the most of my assignment then,” was all she said. Perhaps this means I don’t have to hold back with him anymore.

“Glad to hear it,” the tom answered with a knowing grin that Rasua missed entirely. “While I wish that was the only news I bring, there is a more concerning matter brewing back home.”

“Let me guess,” Rasua interrupted with a stern grimace, “it has to do with the Order.”

“So you’ve noticed they’re on the move?”

“Not directly, no,” Rasua answered worriedly. “The P.C.E. has been far more active lately than usual. From what little they tell me in such matters, Captain Intel ‘La Gence stopped all four sabotage attempts against the hive in the past four years. Within the past month though, there’s been one major attack, as you know, and three other incidents that she and her team have neutralized.”

It was troubling news, but ultimately didn’t concern the tom over much since it was out of his mission scope. “What makes you think the Order has to do with that?”

Rasua knew that tone. He knows something, but he wants my information first. “Nothing, not one single clue. Though I find it worrying that the biggest anti-psyker organization amongst our society - a society that has vilifies psykers since before recorded history, is now ignoring the hive and the openly living Psykira that reside here. Why have they done nothing publicly, not even speaking aloud against them, to this point?”

He had a flash of disappointment on his face. “I had hoped you had something concrete, since we’re lacking any real evidence ourselves, as far as I know. Not that we could actually do much about it outside of warn the Alliance, but they know to keep an eye on the Order already.”

Rasua feared as much, and fished out some bits for the book. “Proto-Queen Aegis put me on security detail for the hive itself after seeing so many sphinxes in that raid on the P.C.E. recruiting center. If any of our brethren attack Phoenix's Roost, I’ll be sure they’re interrogated… properly.”

“Then I’ll continue to search for answers on my end.” The tom was suprised to find a book on translations between Vespid and the primary sphinx language. He threw a few bits on the table near the cash register, if only to play the part of a customer. Since the drone ran off to take a closer look at the statues, it wouldn’t do to steal. “Good hunting, field agent.”

“To the hunt,” Rasua replied automatically as she watched him leave. I may be stuck here until the Director gets someone else in the changeling royal family’s good graces, but I’m still going to visit my brother and father once the queens return from the jungle. Rasua looked out the window at the puppeted drones. In person that is.

With her mind made up, Rasua departed the bookstore after dropping money on the counter as well. As honorable as the statues are, I bet it’s giving Aegis a security nightmare. I better find a Jevruun Vrunningee drone so I can speak with her.

With no one giving her any mind, Rasua departed for the Headquarters of the Queens’ Guard in the palace, leaving the festivities behind.


Outside, Twilight and Rainbow were surrounded by their pony friends, Cadista, and over thirty nymphs. Some sphinxes wanted to have their children kissed by the queens, but weren’t sure if the custom would translate well, so they kept a moderate distance.

Rarity finished hugging Twilight and glanced at the statues. “So you like? I helped fuse the gems into one solid piece.”

“Seriously?!” Rainbow half shouted in surprise. “That must have taken forever!”

Pinkie Pie, still as energetic as ever, shoved her head in between the queens. Her son, Pie Slice, was sleeping like the dead on his mother’s head, even in the middle of the loud cheering. “It totally did! I had to bake her my Parent Cake Special like a hundred times to get it all done in a month.”

Twilight glanced at Rarity who went a little green at the memory of it. Pinkie pulled the queens’ head a little close so she could whisper at both of them. “It has my secret up-and-att’m sauce in it.”

Twilight gave Rarity a heavily concerned look, only for the fashionista to wave it off. “Don’t worry, Twilight, I already saw the doctor about getting detoxed. I simply had to finish it before you got busy with that Polybia nonsense.”

<I wish nonsense was all it was,> Twilight grumbled to her sister, and got a mental grunt of approval from Rainbow. Outwardly however, Twilight remained grateful. “Thank you again, Rarity, the statues are beautiful.”

Fluttershy found an open spot to slink her way inside the circle of friends and scrambling nymphs. “You two’ve done so much for everypony, it’s good to see you get some recognition.”

“Hey, it’s not just us two,” Rainbow replied with a friendly smirk. “It’s everypony. You guys, the kids, even the sphinxes, bat ponies, and the Tea’la have pitched in to make the Alliance go smoothly.”

Cadista was on the fringe of the crowding friends. While she was normally friendly to all, an image that was cemented by the throng of nymphs climbing all over her, few non-changelings ever really found her approachable. Even now, they kept a short distance out of a mix of intimidation and respect. “Now if only the mainstream ponies can see what the sphinxes see,” she commented more harshly than she wanted. “It’ll be the only way groups like the P.C.E. will ever die out.”

Pinkie Pie knew in an instant that comment would drag the mood down, so she spoke up before it could happen. “Hey now, nothing good ever came without some good ol hoof grease! Besides, we need to partay!

“It can’t be for long, sadly,” Twilight stated morosely. “Our ship is already back in the jungle. We’re going to need our entire focus on Polybia and Grogar.”

Rainbow Dash tapped her chest. “And besides, we’re borrowing our kids right now, and I know they’d want to do their own thing before the party dies down.”

Twilight and Rainbow heard their puppets’ thoughts argue to the contrary, but they were resolutely against taking so much time away from their children’s fun.

“Maybe we can catch up on things over lunch?” Fluttershy offered. Among her friends, Fluttershy’s old anxiety around crowds was far weaker than in years prior, allowing her to speak with more natural assertiveness.

“That sounds wonderful,” Rarity agreed. After the others gave their agreements, the group moved on to one of the dining plazas.


It wasn’t long before the dining plaza exploded with festivities. People of all races wined and dined on the impromptu holiday. Sphinxes, pegasi, and drones performed aerial dances to the amusement of those below, some gracefully flitting about while others moved wildly. The queens ordered some of the hive’s stockpile of food to be cooked up for the event. While not the crème de la crème of culinary delight that most Equestrian cities could create, it served well enough.

There was even an Imperial thestral music band that was playing somewhere in the distance, but neither Twilight nor any of her friends and nearby family could really hear them. The group of friends were gathered around a few tables that had been huddled together. Rarity’s thestral husband, Epaulets, was perched up with one hoof on the table and gesturing with his wings, holding everyone in rapped attention.

“So there I was, trying to peddle a few traditional Imperial vel’tia dresses out of some back alley in Manehatten without a clue on how to run a business in this far flung future. No marketplace, outside of building shops I had no hope in affording, no tools, and not a bit to my name. When the love of my life,” he turned to flash Rarity a thankful smile, making her blush a little. “Comes over and offered to show me how to sell my merchandise in the exotics market. Made a fortune in a weekend.”

“I could see he had real talent,” Rarity explained offhandedly, “so I made some introductions, and called in a favor or two.” She was currently keeping an eye on her children, Cloudy Skies and Summer Seas, who were playing tag with the gaggle of nymphs that had followed them from earlier.

Epaulets scoffed at his wife’s modesty. “You made it seem like no trouble at all, so I thought these friends were nothing more than friends who were rich snobs like her, not that I said it to her face at the time.”

Rarity smacked him with her magic, but held a giggle back. Rainbow Dash snickered, giving little effort to hide it. “That’s being kind, eh, Rares?”

“It’s still far and above what you manage on a good day,” Rarity teased back with a lady-like harumph.

Epaulets wrapped a leathery wing around his wife and gave her a wink and a smile, casting any sort of irritation she had for him to the winds. “Well I go in there,” he continued his tale without missing a beat, “thinking at best I might get saddled with a guru and have to sell my designs for room and board. But these dresses were specially made for the royal family you see, so they were my magnum opus, and I was immensely proud of them.”

Pinkie was bouncing in her seat wanting to blabber the punchline, but Pie Slice waking up hungry distracted her.

“So I go over to Photo Finish, who I assumed was the guru based on how the mare carries herself. After hearing so many songs playing in the building on the way to see her, I thought that I was expected to sing the Litany of Apprenticeship.”

Rainbow and Twilight gasped in between shock and a burst of humor. “You didn’t!” Twilight half cried while Rainbow was in tears. Fluttershy’s face burned with sympathetic embarrassment.

Rarity couldn’t help but to titter aloud. “By Celestia I thought Photo was going to have a conniption from all that howling and yodeling on your long career and lineage.”

“So what did you do next?” Fluttershy asked even though she knew the story. She always found it fascinating, so her attention remained fixated.

“Well Photo Finish was about to throw me out the door when she saw the multicolored threading pattern in the dress I was holding on my back and grabbed it and left me at a loss because I was expecting her to yodel back at me.

“So then she goes into shock before yelling I have ‘Da Magicks’!” he exclaimed with a flare of his wings and tossing his nose into the air. “After that she wanted fifty dresses by month’s end,” he added with old fatigue.

“I simply had to let him use my shop,” Rarity interjected. “Poor stallion was as lost in Equestria as Princess Luna was when she returned from her banishment, no doubt.”

The conversation devolved into small talk about catching up with everyone daily lives, how the kids were doing, and over all a friendly conversation that whittled the hours away. Fluttershy, as was typical of her, was the most silent of the bunch. Yet she was hardly content with that, since she had something to ask Twilight and Rainbow Dash, but found it difficult to get the timing right. It didn’t help that her pegasus daughter was grabbing half of her attention by being cute as a button as she nuzzled Fluttershy’s chest. The little filly had her mother’s timidness in spades, and was fearful of joining the other foals in play.

Fluttershy’s stocky brown earth pony husband, Nick Nack, gently nuzzled her. “Be strong, and speak your mind,” he whispered reassuringly.

Bolstered by his quiet support, Fluttershy found the nerve to speak up loudly enough to be heard. “Excuse me, Twilight, Rainbow.” The conversation died down with Fluttershy admirably not missing a beat. “I’ve been wondering about the whole difficulty with getting more ponies to see your hive as another pony tribe, and I might have an idea that can help.”

Both queens were always eager to hear of such ideas, at least when they came from a reliably friendly source. “I’m all ears,” both queens said in unision. ‘What’s up?”

“Umm, well,” Fluttershy pushed her mane out of the way to reveal her hiding daughter, Gentle Breeze, who yelped at the sudden exposure. “My little Breezie was good friends with a few nymphs, but she’s sort of lost touch with them after they hatched into adults. I think part of the problem with some ponies might be that there are no childhood friendships that can spring up.

“So is it possible to maybe slow that down for a few nymphs?”

The request seemed decent enough to Rainbow Dash, but it slammed into Twilight like a freight train. She blinked at Fluttershy for a few moments before finding the wits to speak again. “I… I never thought of that.”

“Seems like a cool idea to me, if we tried that out on a few kids,” Rainbow added. “But I don’t know if that’s possible.”

All eyes turned to Twilight with Rarity speaking her piece. “I have to admit, it would reduce how alien changelings are to many ponies out there.”

Even Cadista, in her distant corner of the table arched an inquisitive eyebrow in anticipation of her daughter’s response.

“I don’t know if it’s possible. I don’t think we can do that on a permanent basis, but I can try for a dozen clutches or so.”

Cadista was pleased to hear Twilight wasn’t planning on completely reversing one of the best advantages changelings had. “Since you’re going to be busy in the homeland, why don't you let me take care of researching that particular project. It’ll give me something to do while waiting for…” Cadista caught herself before saying ‘for Polybia to retaliate against the hive itself’ aloud. So she said it over the Link Instead. Not wanting to be rude to those around her, she kept speaking. “You to return while you’re busy down south.”

At that moment, the hive mind resounded with the turn of the hour along with the large dirigible above the hive sounding its fog horn for the non-changelings. Twilight moaned in frustration at how quickly time fled. “Is it so late already?”

“The Long Shot should be well into the jungle by now,” Rainbow added. “We should get back.”

Twilight nodded in agreement and gave everyone an apologetic smile, but didn’t get a chance to speak before Pinkie bounced over and squashed her with a crushing hug. “Now don’t you worry your little buggy brain, Twilight! I know you girls will come home safe as can be!”

“I hope so,” Twilight replied softly. “See all of you later!”

Twilight and Rainbow almost departed their puppets then and there, but the two drones hastily reminded them of the side effect of being puppeted, causing both queens to teleport to the nearest barracks before departing their hosts. The swarm of nymphs let off a collective groan of disappointment before several caretakers came over and took charge, herding them towards more kid-friendly sections of the festival.

Rarity watched the two puppeted drones vanish with worry deeply etched on her face. “Dear,” she said to Epaulets, “You hear things from the Imperials living here. Do you think they’ll be okay?”

If there was one thing that never really translated well to the Imperials, it was lying about a military situation to calm civilians. For them, it was a fundamental right for all to know if there was a hostile army or some other threatening force. “Pray for luck, everypony,” he said loudly enough for Fluttershy and the others to hear. “What I have heard of Polybia and Grogar... is more troubling than waking up in a time lost city surrounded by lost ones and bodies.” He gave a stern look at the fretful ponies. “The best thing we can do is give the queens no reason to split their attention between home and the warfront. Keep them focused on the south.”

Although he couldn’t see her, Cadista nodded and hummed in approval. “We can do that best by keeping the P.C.E. away from the hive. Let Aegis and Blitz focus on the bigots outside these walls while the rest of us look after those within.”

Rarity saw her children were exhausted from play, snoozing with a few nymphs near the table with a caretaker nearby keeping an eye on them. “I have noticed the distinct lack of fashion around here. I can settle the Fashion Floatique here for a while, maybe uncover some scandalous gossip from the non-changeling rumor mill. Besides, none of those rapscallions would dare lay a hoof on the Bearers of Harmony.”

“I’ll stay too,” Fluttershy added with that steel in her tone that had grown immensely since her younger years. “Thanks to Nick Nack’s help, I don’t have any animals to care for at the moment, so I can stay to help watch the nymphs and foals around here.”


“An excellent idea,” Rarity commended with the stallions giving similar accolades.

Without missing a beat, Pinkie leapt up onto the table and struck a martial arts pose. “And I, Pinkie Pie, will make sure there’s always a party! Who can attack good ol’ PR when there’s one of my shindigs going down?”

Cadista quietly chuckled as the ponies started going into details. You are so lucky, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. To have such friends who will take the initiative to help you like this. I hope you don’t lose sight of what you have, in lieu of what you don’t.

Strike hard, and strike true, my daughters. Show those blinded queens the strength of our bloodline.

Author's Note:

Will [redacted] ever find out where the six-[redacted] man is? Can Twilight Sparkle save [redacted] before it's too [redacted]? Will [redacted] ever get that [redacted] cookie? Can the Long Shot's [redacted] prove that it has the heart of a warrior? Can Rasua [redacted] her [redacted] [redacted]?

You are all guaranteed to find out all of these answers when [redacted]!!!

-edited by Sestapo HQ


editor's note-

I'm almost done!
-Boldish42